Layout Extinct

Akron, PA
Roland Park - Old Layout Share
3 / --   3 / --   3 / --   3 / 350ft. Par / Distance:

1 2 Next >
 getting better with more holes

5+    3/9/2009   3/10/2009
Review By: discNDav
Pros: This course is expanding to 27 holes very soon.

Scenic area in a small town near Amish
country.

A good mixture of wooded then very open shots. #18 tees off over a heart shaped lake.

Good elevation changes throughout the course. Cement tees.

Very clean city park, no litter.

Cons: With the new holes being built in early March '09 adding to the old front 9, it was
confusing to follow with the lack of correct tee signs.
Other Thoughts: I'll bump this course up to 3.5 stars when they finish the addition holes and update the tee signs after hole 4.

Some baskets have a white arrow pointing you to the next tee, some don't.

A few holes had an alternate basket in the open back 9 but it was confusing which hole they were for at times.

I've hadn't played in Arkon in over 5 years, it was always good and now see it getting better very soon. Buchmiller Pk in nearby
Lancaster and Roland Pk in Arkon makes a nice day trip for this area.

I'd like to go back!

1    7/14/2008   2/14/2009
Review By: Jimb
Pros: Beautiful mountain scenery. When you drive into the park out of a small town neighborhood it's amazing that this piece of property is just sitting there... calling you to play a round. What a great idea to put a course here! And 21 holes. That's nice.

There are bathroom facilities on site. And there are also other things to do... like a playground, tennis, picnicking and volleyball.

The course iteself does have a nice variety of open and wooded holes along with a shot over the pretty pond too. The open holes will let a lot of us just grip and rip it... although you big guns won't get to really let it fly at 100%. The longest holes are #15, a somewhat downhill 450' shot and #20 a somewhat downill 471' shot. The wooded holes are somewhat technical, but not overly tough. Most of the wooded holes have multiple paths to the pins requiring you to select which shot suits you best. I really like this about the wooded holes as you don't always have to play the same shot to score well. I can play a hyzer or anhyzer route on several holes with equal chance of success. I like that.

This course plays nicely for an experienced player and would suit a newcomer to the sport very well also.
Cons: The signage needs serious work. Although some of the handpainted signs are pretty... that doesn't make up for the lack of clarity. Not only is it difficult to know which direction the next hole is in sometimes, but it's even hard to figure out where the pin is that you're shooting for sometimes. Playing this course with a local would be a great way to play it for the first time (or 2nd & 3rd too).

Some holes had concrete pads that were a little small for a good runup. And some of the tees were made out of a piece of carpet layed on the ground. Improved tees would also help almost as much as improved signage.

And although it's fun to just rip a drive without having to put much thought into it sometimes, too many of the open holes are made up of just a tee, a bunch of grass, and a pin. That's it. A little creativity in re-designing the open holes could really help.

The bathroom wasn't opened at 8:00 when I got there... ouch!
Other Thoughts: Generally, this was a really fun round. And I wish that I had gotten to go around again but I ran out of time. If so much time hadn't been devoted to course navigation I'd have at least played another nine.

Don't get your expectations up too high and you shouldn't be disappointed. And if any upgrades have been made since I played there that would be great.

Highlights for me...

#6) A tunnel shot with hyzer and anhyzer routes.

#9) A totally blind tee over a hill (more fun with a spotter).

#12) Way downhill, across a path and through a narrowish opening with serious rough to either side.

#15) What the heck... for me, a normal 300-325' max distance guy, ripping one down hill over 400' is a blast!

And if you head just down the road to Lancaster there's D. F. Buchmiller Park with a really nice, and different, 18.

Could be so much better!

5+    12/27/2008   12/29/2008
Review By: Acerun1
Pros: Great use of topography. Descent mix of open and wooded holes. Some holes will test your skills and shots in your bag! This would be a great course to introduce a new player to the game (with the exception of the #18 water hole, where there's no alternate route around the water.)
Cons: POOR SIGNAGE!!! See the review by nosajeel99. Most of my criticisms would just be reiterating what's already been stated. My biggest beefs are the miniature tee pads, and, did I mention, the POOR SIGNAGE!!
Other Thoughts: I've played this course numerous times since the late 90's, even when it was still just an 18-hole course. When the additional 3 holes were added, the numbering became confusing for the occasional - or first time - visitor.
The arrows on the bottom of the basket, pointing to the next tee, are helpful - for the most part. However, I thought I was following the proper hole progression, only to be later confused when the tee sign said I was on hole 7, but my scorecard said I was on 10!! There seem to be some newer permanent baskets for alternate pins on a few holes. But, the plates at the top of the baskets are facing odd directions, leaving you to wonder if they're for the hole you're playing, or another hole completely. Also, IMHO, something should be done with the "wide open" holes to make them a bit more challenging.
This is more of a "finesse" course, rather than a "big arm" course, but don't let that keep you from visiting/playing it! It has the potential to be a challenging, above average course. If the club could team up with the municipality to raise a few thousand $, they could renumber ALL the holes (including which one is actually hole #1!) and put up tee signs that were actually informative and accurately directional!

WTF

2-4    11/3/2008   11/3/2008
Review By: nosajeel99
This review was updated on 1/16/2009
Pros: The park has some beautiful views from the tops of hills overlooking farmland in the Lancaster area. It is really neat to see all the rolling hills.

There is diversity in the holes, as is mentioned below. There are lots of open holes and lots of tight holes.

The open holes really let you wing it and the longest tee shots are all slightly downhill, which gives you a bit more distance and makes you feel like you have a bigger arm. It was fun throwing far downhill like that.

Also, I think the progression of the course is nice. The first 3 holes are open, the next 9 or so are the wooded, and the last 9 are wide open. It gives you a little warm-up before asking you to chuck a disc 400 feet.
Cons: There wasn't anything special about this course. None of the holes were awe-inspiring and even the drive over the pond was anticlimactic. The tee pads are tiny. The open holes, while fun, were too open. Imagine a field and a basket in the middle of it. That is what 4 holes were like on the back 9 (#13, 15, 16, 20).

Navigating the open holes was easy (there is nothing to confuse you - everything is wide open), but the woodsy holes were a pain in the neck. There are multiple tee pads for some holes (silver and gold) yet I never knew which pad I was using. I could only find one tee pad usually, because it had a sign. There were occasional times I *thought* I saw another tee pad, but didn't know if it really was one or not. Clearly marking the teepads would be helpful.

The baskets have an arrow hanging pointing to the next tee, which was generally helpful except for the times where the arrows were wrong and had me walking backwards. Some of the baskets were twisted and pointing to the middle of the woods. The numbers on the baskets did not match with the numbers on the tee signs. On several of them, a Sharpie was used to write over the stuck on number. Why don't people care enough to put the right number on a basket?

Occasionally there were alternate pins on holes, meaning there were 2 baskets to shoot for. But only 2 holes that I saw had this and I had no indication that there were alternate baskets until I saw them walking to my tee shot.

One basket was completely out of the ground and just sitting in a big block on concrete. It was supposed to be in the ground, but it wasn't.
Other Thoughts: I guess I didn't drink the same kool-aid the other reviews did, but I didn't really enjoy myself on this course. The woodsy section, while easy to find a place to throw from toward a basket, was just confusing. The lack on consistency bothered me.

Overall, I felt a lot of things were wrong with this course. It is nice having 21 holes and alternate tee pads (on a few), but I couldn't navigate them. It didn't seem like anyone cared about the course. It could be drastically improved with just a little bit of care and attention to detail. Lots of little things were wrong (the arrows, the basket numbers, lack of designated tee pads in the woods). If a local went with you, I am sure you could have a good time, but you shouldn't need a local to show you the super secret gold tee for hole #11.

7/16/2008   7/16/2008
Review By: Ty9339
Pros: great course diversity. a good mix of wooded and open holes. a beautiful pond hole. The course is very well kept. it also has a few renovations goin on right now. also its a nice mix up with more then 18 holes. it plays to 21 holes. a nice change of pace
Cons: living here in lancaster i play this course quite often and still am having trouble navigating some of the new holes, and how they fit into play.
Other Thoughts: very nice park enjoy it everyone

9/21/2007   9/26/2007
Review By: justin
Pros: Great use of elevation. Some of the open holes were short but were made up for by the beautiful scenery or elevation changes.
Cons: Sometimes tough to find correct tee (wooded holes have 2 tees & baskets) and basket if you don't know where each pari is. The open holes were a bit too open. Sprinkle a few trees in there if you can.
Other Thoughts: I've seen a lot of tee signs but these were the first hand-painted ones for me.

The pond is so nice I wish there was more than one throw across it. Beautiful scenery with rolling hills, farms, and silos all around. Good job not being confined to the 9-18-27 hole layouts. "Why not 21 holes?" I say!

Add some trees to the open areas and either provide very good maps or more detailed signage and I would claim this to be a perfect course.

I will go far out of my way to play this course again.

Aching in Akron

2-4    4/1/2007   6/22/2007
Review By: adlacro
This review was updated on 12/30/2009
Pros: Lots of good challenging disc golf with about half the holes open and half in the woods. Good mix of short and long holes. Several newer baskets are in play on many of the holes. The course favors a right handed on a majority of the wooden holes but it's not a complete right-handed bias. Greens are quite fast in the woods. The infamous Lake hole, which claimed my (one-time) best driver, is always a nice finisher.
Cons: NOTICE: I'm not trying to rip the course a new one here. There is a lot of work going on here, and the signage is poor for now, the basket layouts are still somewhat confusing, and some of them are in bad shape. With the winter here, it'll probably be at least March before work can conclude around here.
Other Thoughts: It is best that I reserve final judgment for Roland until the new 27 hole layout is completed. Many of the newer holes show a lot of promise here at Akron. If you're thinking about coming out and this is your first time, find a local and partner up for a round. Until then, pardon the mess and enjoy the open holes.

A Fun 21!

5/25/2007   5/29/2007
Review By: timg
This review was updated on 7/16/2007
Pros: Good variety of wooded/open holes. Generally well marked. Park is well maintained.
Cons: #19 plays a bit too close to the playground. #20 tees off from the street.
Other Thoughts: This is the second time I've played this course and it's always an enjoyable experience. The mix of open/wooded holes is around 60/40 with each one presenting it's own unique challenge. Speaking of which, there are a few holes where a spotter would be useful (particularly, #9) as you're shooting blind over a hill.

The course is generally well marked although we had some trouble finding #11 as the sign was missing and there were a few spots that looked like potential tees. A lot of holes seemed fairly short but most had dual tees and I noticed some had two baskets which would have added length and challenge.

The stand out hole would definitely be #21 where you're throwing over the pond. Most players shouldn't have trouble making it over but I'm sure there are a few discs to be found at the bottom!

That said, the course was a lot of fun and definitely worth a stop if you're in the Akron area.

1 2 Next >