Madison, WI
Elver Park Share
Uploaded By: Aragorn Hole #1
Hole #1 Pro Tee: Basket straight away in the trees. Amateur tee to the right of kiosk. Practice basket visible to the left.

A truly majestic expedition

2-4    10/8/2011   10/17/2011
Review By: stubborn puppet
This review was updated on 10/23/2011
Pros: This course may not be totally "perfect", but I honestly never noticed while playing it. I'll try not to get too carried away here.

> Super scenic course with more variety than any other course I've ever seen.
> Big, level, concrete tee pads for both pro and am settings that are in fantastic shape.
> Most of the signage is great. The tee signs are obviously being improved, but they're good and there are plenty of signs directing players to the next tee which are easy to follow.
> Amazing course design that explores every shot shape I could think of and manages to shake things up at every tee.
> The park and course were both very clean when I visited. Some trash cans needed emptied... but you could tell that folks generally make an effort here. I didn't see anything in the way of graffiti except on one unfortunate bench.
> I found the pin positions (including the alternates I saw) to each offer a unique challenge and were guarded enough to require much more than just a "point-and-shoot" experience.
Cons: The negatives on this course are relatively just nit-picky odds and ends, with only one major thing that could improve it.

> The first few holes seem a little uninspired and are mostly just a way to get you to the top of the hill without making you throw straight up the hill.
> Pro tees were not as far back as they could have been in most cases and I saw some opportunity to position them in a way that might make for a bit more variety as well as distance.
> I felt the am tees could also have been further away. Sometimes the course just felt a little short for the space.
> I read that the course is closed between Nov and April. That sucks. This would be a great opportunity for fall and winter games and a great Ice Bowl tournament participant.
Other Thoughts: This course is a real surprise - when you first start, you think it's a really average one and starts off adequate but uninspiring... until you reach the top of the hill and the view of the terrain begins to take hold. As you finish up hole 4, you begin a process of being transported from one very different type of landscape to another - a Farmers Field, a large pine forest similar to Endor from Star Wars, midwestern backwoods, a bouldered glacial deposit, a steep rock face, an orchard... and like that all the way to 18 for the majestic and fun downhill throw (which could have been further away to make those soaring rips really worth it - I overshot the basket by about 100').
I have to send huge respect to this courses designer(s) and the parks dept./city for allowing them the freedom to really explore this park. Also I want to applaud the Mad City Disc Golf Club for their obvious hard work and efforts at Elver and Heistand parks. You have a true gem of the Disc Golf world here and I thank you for the opportunity. The pictures attached to this course so far are very insufficient to show what it really looks like.
I live many states away and came to Madison to visit the inlaws, so I thought I'd find a couple of courses to enhance the trip. I discovered that there are very few courses in the Madison area by comparison to my home town... but Elver park is now my favorite course and I can't wait to get back soon. Make the trip for this and Hiestand Park, you'll be glad you did.