Course update, more than a review
2 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: Updates to the course in 2014:
- Crumbled tee pads have been removed, long tee became shot tee, and new long tee pad poured for holes 5, 6, and 8.
- 3rd basket placement added on 6, making it an almost 400' shot into a headwind most days, from either tee pad. More basket placements slated to be added soon (signage points to locations that haven't been installed yet).
- New signage up on the original 18 and most of the other holes. Short and long tees.
- Holes 19-27 are more playable than ever, thanks to diligent maintenance by the course manager and a small group of volunteers.
- Due to the difficulty, holes 19-27 are played less frequently. It makes for a nice way to divert your round if the main 18 are busy. Just keep walking straight along the river after 11 and the 19th box will be ahead.
- Very active community with an informal league that runs at 10am on Saturday and Sunday, along with evening leagues in the warmer months. Generally a very welcome environment among the regulars.
Cons: - Some of the baskets on holes 19-27 are older and more unforgiving.
- Concrete tee pads not present on a few holes. Patio stones are used instead and are better than nothing, Only one hole has you teeing off from grass. More than manageable.
- Course directions in 19-27 aren't great beyond the first few holes. There is some spray paint to help, along with some lightly treaded walkways, but it's easy to get confused. If you're going back there for the first time, bring someone who knows the course.
- Course is in a public park, so some holes have a fair amount of foot traffic during some hours. It's never enough to delay you for more than a minute or so though.
- Water is deep enough in places that you're not getting your disc back. Rough gets deep enough in the summer that it can bury discs completely.
- Holes 19-27 have only one basket placement, and only a couple have long tee boxes. Not that you need the added difficulty, but the new placements aren't going to make it easier.
Other Thoughts: The pictures posted of the course are very out of date, and actually the main reason why I wrote this review in the first place. The course is far more open and clear of brush than indicated. I wouldn't have recognized which hole most of those pictures were taken from if it weren't for descriptions. Maybe someone from the local league can update with new pictures come Spring.
This course is already one of the best in SW Ontario. With a dedicated course manager, a solid core of league players and volunteers, it's only going to get better. If you didn't play River's Edge in 2014, you're going to be surprised at how much it has grown up.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: London is lucky to have thise course is offers everything from long range open to tight wooded technical shots. It has such a variety of holes with in the whole course. The front nine offer simular holes and is a solid nine to get out and play form beginers to more advanced. also there is a solid group of guys trying to improve the course regularly. with maintance and changing basket locations always offering a new way to play, hard to get too stale. Also the course is usually not to busy with nin golfers.
Cons: Cons are tough to say there are some this spots and tall grass to deal with thru out the course, some tee offs are rough but the leauge is slowly getting them all perfect.
Other Thoughts: London is luck to have this course, its worth stoping in to play it. Just watch where your discs land..
0 of 1 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 0 Not
Challenging but Fair
Pros: In a very quiet part of town little foot traffic to worry about. Involved local club that has been making regular changes(for the better) for the past two seasons. this course offfers several birdies and several difficult pars. The cousre offers 36 different basket locations
Cons: The course at the moment is missing some tee signs. In the heat of summer O.B is intimidating and can result in lost disc situations. no washrooms, no benches. Not an easy course for begginers.
Other Thoughts: It is located on a city bike path but only comes into play on 2 holes. Current score card is inaccurate many holes are 75-100' longer than stated. Parking is small 10 cars probably but i've never had an issue.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.