San Jose, CA
Hellyer Park (Coyote Creek DGC) Share
Uploaded By: DGtourist Hole #5 (Taken 8/2008)

1 2 3 4 Next >

5+    12/9/2008   12/22/2008
Review By: BENFTS
This review was updated on 2/19/2009
Pros: this course will challenge your wind game. four pin locations and two tees for every hole. 2 baskets on the other side of the freeway behind hole one. you can play these holes and make 4 other holes. well maintained and very clean. awesome elevation changes and some serious distance on some holes. many holes play much longer due to the high winds.
Cons: wind sometimes. my normal round there is -2 but when the wind gets going i can see it go up to +4.
Other Thoughts: there is a nine hole course 3 miles driving distance but only 1/4 mile in a straight line. the other course is the best nine hole course i have ever played and is the best in cali. bring your force, destroyer, or boss if you have it.

some say starting at hole eight is a problem, that's because they park by it and there is a specific use parking lot on the other side of the freeway which will start you with the two practice baskets and put you by hole one.

quick and fun

1    8/8/2008   12/16/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Like most of you I find myself daydreaming of what a course might look like on various pieces of land while on a road trip. I always carry that daydream onto the exit ramp dismissing the exit ramp land as a waste, after all a disc course could go there. Hellyer Park is that course come true. You never quite get the silence you might at a course that isn't five feet from the interstate, but the experience is still unique. The teeboxes here are in great shape, lots of skill effort and money went into their creation. Refer to the photo titled "#3 teebox" to see what I mean.

Two teeboxes per hole, alternative pin positions, and well signed holes make the course rank pretty solid. The elevation changes are great. For me the big selling point of Hellyer Park is that the course has a pretty high fun factor. The course plays pretty fast, so I ran through it twice and played the alternate positions, I would have had no problem playing a third round but I was pressed for time.
Cons: Playing from the whites make everything pretty short (not really much of a "con" since there are more than one box and that reds are all solid, but it was short. The parking situation is tight. Number one is in the middle of the park, I just started playing at number eight since that is where my car was parked. I also didn't feel comfortable walking through other players just to get to number one as marked. I threw my disc over the fence on #8 and had to go around to retrieve it, which was dangerous since it was only about three feet from the 101. The drainage water was so nasty that I had to go buy another pair of shoes, there was no way I was boarding a plane wearing those shoes after sinking my feet in that mess. (I know, that's not really much of a con either since, the course doesn't have you go directly through drainage water).
Other Thoughts: I find it really cool that the two nine hole courses are so close to each other, I imagine a local would just play one then the other and still get in 18. The description says, "Facilities on west side of freeway with 2 practice baskets beside the lake." I never saw facilities or a lake. I guess that's what I get for playing a course without getting my information from DGCR. I really would have liked to see the lake too.

Long story short, Hellyer Park is surprisingly well established with all the necessary disc golf amenities that is on an exit from a highway that turns out to have a high fun factor of play.

To Hellyer

5+    4/20/2006   11/4/2008
Review By: Starwraith169
Pros: i moved out of state a couple of years ago, so I havent played it in a while, but I remember great elevation shots, nice locals, quick play, not too crowded
Cons: next to major freeway so its really noisy, lots of wind, poison oak,
Other Thoughts: i would play it again if I was ever in the area. Its definitely a good course if you want to improve your wind game.

good for a disc golf "quickie"

5+    7/26/2008   10/5/2008
Review By: benpalm
Pros: signage is pretty clear - it is easy to tell from the sign what position the pin is in. there are many challenging but birdieable holes.
Cons: only nine holes, and in the afternoons it can get very crowded.
Other Thoughts: the wind makes it a challenging course. the ground foliage changes dramatically from dry and pretty clear in the summer to grassy and dense in the winter.

My first love.

5/19/2008   5/18/2008
Review By: evrenseven
Pros: A great place to learn because there is most every type of shot to take, but none are super challenging.
Cons: Not a lot of parking, restrooms are a short drive away. Kinda noisy from the freeway. Lots of people walking around wondering what these people are doing throwing frisbees into wierd chain contraptions and not getting the clue to perhaps get out of the way.

San Jose, California

5+    7/1/2006   4/1/2008
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 12/16/2008
Pros: This is one of the best nine hole,dual tee pad courses that I have played yet. The elevation changes and coastal winds play a large role in one's score. The fact that it is right next to the freeway is unique as well. This course is open for the most part but plays tricky around each pin placement due to the strategic bushes and trees put there to make quite the obstacles. The cement tee pads are in excellent shape and the baskets are in great condition as well. There are not a lot of opportunities to lose a disc here either which is always a plus. However, I have had a buddy throw a teebird on to the freeway from the top tee pad (hole 10, I believe). So throwers beware, the wind will definately play tricks on you!
Cons: Besides the limited parking at the top of the course by hole 10, I would say that the layout in terms of numbering should be fixed. I know that they say to park by the lake in the park but that makes no sense considering the whole course is on the other side.
Other Thoughts: This course is in great shape and for the most part the locals are very friendly. I have been playing this course since it first opened and every time I come back to play, something new surprises me whether it be a new pin placement, landscape, or new holes. This course plays well and is well kept up. The people who have put all the time and effort into the course have done an amazing job. I appreciate all they have done for us discgolfers and hope that they continue to put the effort in that it deserves. Nor Cal represent!

Random info

2/14/2008   2/14/2008
Review By: delaveagabeast
Pros: -Very open, with most of the trees growing within 100 feet of the pen, which allows for some very nice birdie setups on nearly every hole.

-Three more holes under the bridge to the right of hole #1 that are played along the water. VERY awesome and similar to Berkeley, without the long wait for people on that damn hiking trail.

-Lots of pro/semi-pro players play there and they're very receptive to newbies. When I was starting playing a bunch of people on the board allowed me to play doubles with them and eventually it just clicked.
Cons: -I can't think of many, but for one thing, the place most people park when they come to the park is on the side of the road next to the freeway, they then have to tee down #8 and #9 to play to get to #1. Their reasoning is that there is a park entrance on the other side(one that less than 10% of the players use).
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a very quick and fun course. If you're coming through California to play some disc golf courses I would check out De La Veaga, Monterey has 3 alright ones, and Hellyer/Delaraza in San Jose, as they're all within driving distance of one another.

Windy

11/25/2007   12/3/2007
Review By: kevin
Pros: Nice course, short but challanging.
Cons: Windy, the mountains are lined up pushing the coastal winds into the area, relly throws your disk around.

1 2 3 4 Next >