Roswell, GA
East Roswell Park Share
Uploaded By: 12StonesScott Hole #6 (Taken 3/2014)
Hole #6 Long Tee

humbling and fun

2-4    12/28/2009   12/28/2009
Review By: Journeyman
Pros: Nice layout with multiple tee pads, although not all are concrete.

Tight wooded course with some (2-3?) holes that you will able to open it up on. Other than that it is a tough technical course! I was 2 over after 15 and ended up 10 over on one round. This course makes you use all of your shots.

The trailer hole is great! I got caught behind them and "had to" make a hammer throw over them to land at the basket. too much fun!!

There are tough 2nd shots but only a few places to get into real trouble. (I played in Dec, foliage may differ in summer)

Multiple tee pads only add to the pleasure.
Cons: A little straight. Take a comet,shark or impact with you. Two holes are a little ridiculous and you will need a deities help to get to the pin.
Other Thoughts: Bring your "A" game and be willing to be humbled, but it is a wonderful course and worth driving a ways to play. Mix it with JP mosely and you have a great combo. Too bad they are not closer together.

Hard Woods

5+    11/20/2009   11/24/2009
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros: In a secluded wooded area of the park that twists and turns with lots of elevation changes along the way. You really feel like you are in a different world when you are playing this course. Three tee pads on every hole: the longs are concrete while the shorts and mediums are gravel/dirt. Some of the best tee signs I have seen: each sign includes a description of the hole, an accurate diagram, and distances for all three tee pads. This course has a completely different feel during autumn/winter when the leaves are gone when compared to the spring/summer.
Cons: While most of the fairways are well defined and have ample width, some are just nutty with how many trees you have to get past (think pinball machine). A few holes seem to be of the "throw & pray" variety. There are lots of nooks and crannies where stray discs like to hide. There are a handful of blind holes that require you to walk the fairway to locate the basket if you are not already familiar with its placement.
Other Thoughts: The combination of long holes and lots of trees means this is definitely not a course for beginners if you are looking to score. Although I have registered more birdies here than anywhere else, I also often find myself playing my second shot within 10-15 steps of the tee pad--argh! You must be accurate off the tee pad at this course or your score will skyrocket. With that said, this course provides a really cool playing experience as you wind your way through the woods and up and down all of the elevation changes (some quite steep). The "trailer hole" is definitely the signature hole--you will either hate it or love it. So far, this course has gotten the better of me every time, but the playing experience keeps me coming back regularly. If you are up for a challenge, East Roswell Park is the place for you.

Classic woods course

1    4/4/2009   11/11/2009
Review By: tmahan
Pros: A pretty walk in a mixed evergreen and deciduous forest, with a nice mix of right and left turning holes, and a few straight pokes. There's some gentle elevation changes that are used pretty effectively. The fairways are snug without being tight, just about perfect for my tastes. I even enjoyed the hole with the 'retired' truck trailer farm, they definitely provide a unique risk/reward proposition (I wouldn't want to try to retrieve my disc from on top of one so I chickened out).

I had a little trouble finding my way on the front but finally noticed some next tee signs on the back 9. When I went back by some of the holes from the front I noticed them there too so you just have to be on the lookout for them. The course is well cleared so I didn't have any trouble finding discs that took an unfortunate kick off trees. The layout seemd to use most of the available property but the holes didn't seem jammed on top of one another so I guess I'd say the spacing was good.
Cons: I'm partial to woods courses so there isn't a whole lot that I'd change. If they had a few more acres to stretch out some holes more and more drastic elevation changes it would be close to perfect but the designers can't do much about that.
Other Thoughts: I stopped in on my way to the airport before heading home and was in a bit of a hurry, so I played the short tees. I noticed two other sets of tees, and paid particular attention to the black tees as I was walking by, they looked challenging and are the reason I gave this course an excellent instead of very good. When I get back down there that will be the first course I hit and I'm playing the longs. I was there the week after the course hosted the Atlanta Open and the course was immaculately groomed, that's a sign of a strong local club.

Nice Course!

2-4    10/16/2009   10/17/2009
Review By: JBryant
Pros: Good challenge of holes! I enjoyed the brisk walk and for the most part it was easy to get from hole to hole. There were plenty of birdie chances and some ace chances other than a tree or five hundred in your way :)
Cons: None as far as I can see. If I had one it would be trees galore! Guess that's what you have to deal with. No #18 basket. Someone needs to get on that repair.
Other Thoughts: Loved the three teepads at each hole. I played the reds though. I needed to see the basket for my first couple times playing. I would go to the blues next time probably. Overall I say this is for sure a course to play if you are in the area.

Challenging

5+    8/10/2009   8/13/2009
Review By: dmerk
Pros: It's a very challenging course. You won't get bored with it (unless you live 2 min. away and play it as much as I do). The three tees give it a little diversity. Some holes are pretty difficult but they still have birdie opportunities.

the new signs are very helpful for new players, but for the most part, you can see the holes.

It's well kept, and an overall nice course.
Cons: Very wooded. Usually that's a good thing, but some holes, (18, 16, 14, 9) just seem unnecessary.

The kudzu korner makes it very easy to lose a disc (3-5).

The course that made me cry!

1    6/15/2009   6/23/2009
Review By: splash_4
Pros: East Roswell is the course that made me cry! I have played a number of courses in the area and have found that my game for the most part was up to the challenge. East Roswell on the other hand kicked my backside. You have to be on top of your game and have more than a single shot in your bag to score well here.

While each hole has multiple pad positions, the black tees are the only concrete pads at the moment. These are of a fair length and width and are in great shape. The other pads are natural but did not cause any issues when playing on them when dry. I can assume due to the wear that they might be slippery when wet.

The signature hole (if you want to call it that) is hole #4. This is the infamous trailer hole. While others might complain about this, this hole was actually quite enjoyable and added a significant risk/reward shot. You have a choice of to lay up short of the trailers or making the risk shot of shooting over them. It did make for quite a brain teaser when I stepped on the pad.

There are a number of holes that require a choice from the player to decide to lay-up or take the risk shot. To score well here, you must take some risks.
Cons: - Defined bathroom facilities do not exist on the course. Fortunately, there are plenty of woods to do your business. [edit - I should of stated that bathrooms are available at the pavillion where the course starts. The day I was there it was locked]
-Garbage cans do not exist on the course, but it appears that the locals take good care of the course and I saw no garbage on the coruse. [edit - a private message has informed me that cans do exist on holes 2, 4, 7, 9, 14, 15, and 18]
-The course was a little difficult for me to navigate and it took some time to find the next pad. Fortunately the locals are more than willing to point you to the next pad
- Losing a disc is quite easy if you do not have a spotter on some holes. The shule is thick and deep in places.
Other Thoughts: Prior to playing this course for the first time I thought I was an average player. This course proved to be that I am still a weenie arm that has little control. I really enjoyed this course and the folks I met on the course were more than willing to help a newbie find his way around. I can certainly understand why the Atlanta Open national qualifier was held on this course. Lastly, if you want to prove to yourself that you are a truly good disc golfer, play this course from the black tees. If you can shoot below par, you are the man!

East Rosewell

5+    6/12/2009   6/12/2009
Review By: Part-Time Ninja
Pros: East Roswell is a very well put together course. Tournament caliber with 3 tees Red-Blue-Black (Black being the pro). A variety of throws will be used to score well here. Pins change every hole with distance variations and right to left. Excellent course.
Cons: Can be frustrating on an off day. Rough can be pretty thick on some holes. Don't let the semi truck trailers on hole 5 scare you!
Other Thoughts: One of the best parks in Metro Atl.

Technical & Tight

5+    3/15/2009   6/4/2009
Review By: mrpbody33
Pros: East Roswell is a tight, technical and fair woods course. The fairways are clear and defined. Some holes (like 2, 5, 12 & 13) have multiple lines to take. Three sets of tee pads per holes allows for any level of play (Pro/Black pads are cement). The course has elevation changes on several of the holes and all the baskets are in well thought out positions.
Cons: The other tee pads (Red & Blue) are gravel/natural and do get washed out after rain storms every once in a while. I wouldn't recommend playing the course right after a rain storm. A few of the Discatcher baskets are slightly damaged but not too bad.
Other Thoughts: Two signature holes are 4 & 16. Hole 4 you get to throw over a few trailers in the middle of the fairway. Not something you see too often. Hole 16 is the equalizer of the course. Sometimes you can be having a good round and end up getting a 5 or 6 on this hole very easily if you don't play it safe and keep it on a fairway.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

1    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: ddevine
Pros: Three tee pads per hole (Red, Blue, Black) with increasing levels of technicality and distance. The Red and Blue tees often have multiple options, especially the Blue Tees (which were my favorite). The course is very easy to follow once you find the first tee, which is at the edge of the woods by the kiddie playground to the right of the parking lot. There are bathrooms by the parking lot, and a nearby Kroger for ice and supplies.

The course winds through the woods with nice elevations changes and mostly well defined fairways. There is a nice mix of short finesse holes and some long crushes, but the trees place a premium on control.
Cons: Hole 4 is a blind tee shot with a high probability for losing a disc. The long (cement) tee pads are a bit repetitive, and place a premium on throwing the same righty long straight/slight flip turnover fade to the right blind tee shot. (But now that I think about it, that is a great shot to learn, so I just raised my rating of this course to a four). The basket of 17 is too close to the fairway of 11.
Other Thoughts: The Red and Blue tees provide a completely different look at most of the holes, and the Blue Tees are especially challenging, with some highly technical controlled turnover shots for right handed players. I would play this course on a regular basis if I lived in Atlanta.

A challenging wooded monster.

5+    4/26/2009   4/29/2009
Review By: billnchristy
This review was updated on 5/27/2009
Pros: This is a complete rewrite based on a new review process I have come up with.
3 different tee pads that actually provide different experiences.
Although it is primarily a woods course there is a good variety of different obstacles. Terrain is used to its advantage and unique holes like the "trailer hole" provide a one of a kind experience.
A good variety of distances although it is a mid-length course in general.
Red tees are playable but still difficult for beginners. Each tee level provides new challenges.
Course is easily navigated once you find hole 1.
Baskets and tees are clearly marked.
Signs provide distances for each level of tee but the signs are only at the black tee.
Restrooms and parking are convienent.
A decent amount of benches and trash cans...though some people could use a lesson in using them!
A very safe feeling park with nice neighborhoods surrounding it.
Cons: Very tight fairways...need an accurate shot from any tee or you will be punished.
Lots of overgrowth off the fairways which makes disc loss very possible.
Muddy and slippery when wet, not something I docked points for but it should not be your first choice after a good rain.
Many holes have a single approach line.
Other Thoughts: A nice, tight course tucked away in the woods. Lots of elevation changes make it interesting. Since the AO came through the course has been improved a lot. There could still be some nex-T signs on the back 9 though.
This is a fun course that rewards accuracy...unfortunately I do not have any!! That won't stop me from coming back though. Mid-range discs and putters are crucial here.

About my "system":

An average course is 50 points. Points are awarded above and beyond that for having better than average features. Courses are docked points for lacking those features.
East Roswell park scored 70.5 out of 100 which puts it square at 3.5 discs.
It's biggest plusses were the multiple tee pads and terrain variety.

It's biggest negatives is the course maintenance (really outlying maintenance, course is gorgeous) and some trash lying around.

Overall very much an above average course.