4 Helpful / 0 Not
Fun but not pretty
Pros: 1) Concrete tees are always a plus . . . see also cons.
2) Awesome signs with all of the info needed and a map of each hole. Distance, Par, Hole # are included. Alternate baskets all indicated also.
3) Plenty of options for basket placement on most or all holes. I like that the course can be changed up from time to time.
4) Decent variety in shot shaping needed here. You have to be able to throw both ways to score well here.
5) Nice variety of foliage density with the tighter wooded holes, the more park-like holes with a smattering of key trees along with a couple wide open holes for you to go for an easy birdie.
6) Excellent distance variety on this course with holes from the mid 100's up to themed 300's. This definitely forces you to carry a lot of discs to be able to throw them on the appropriate holes. Excellent design feature in my opinion.
7) Beginner friendly but still challenging. Nearly no chance to lose a disc unless you throw it in the road and someone drives over it or picks it up and drives off.
8) Lots of artificial OB here like fences, roads, walls etc . . . help to define the course and the intended way to play. Normally I don't like this but it is needed on this course.
9) I got a chance to whip out a few rollers which is something I always appreciate on a course. They are fun to throw and it is simply an alternative to a long air shot.
10) The one really unique hole had a raised mound . . . it actually made me think it was an old Indian Burial Mound, but I didn't think that would be allowed.
Cons: 1) The concrete tees are inconsistent, some of them are made from concrete steppers placed next to each other to form a large area. I hate inconsistency on tees . . .but these are better than teeing from the dirt.
2) Dangerous throws on occasion along the road, and the hole that goes over the road. I could also see a pedestrian getting hit here if they aren't paying attention to where they are walking.
3) Relatively flat course with only minor rolling terrain. The elevation change is most dramatic on the one hole with the elevated mound basket placement. That's about as big as it gets (3').
4) Old baskets are getting a little ratty and rusty in spots. Some of the baskets seemed to be bent and might not catch as well as they did originally or a newer basket. It is what it is I guess.
5) Lots of trash visible in the peripheral areas along fences and in the woods.
6) A couple of confusing transitions between holes leaves you looking for the next tee on occasion.
Other Thoughts: It is obvious this is about the best in the area. The course was pretty busy when I was there and it seems to be wore in pretty good. I enjoyed the shots despite the cons of the roads in play, the teepads being inconsistent, and the baskets being old. As a whole the course is challenging but still fun to play. I give the golf side o the course a much higher grade than the total rating because all of these other things take away from the experience, leaving this course just average to slightly above average overall. If I was in Miami I would play it again, and the only reason I came here was because it was the best course on my way to key West for a wedding.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: Concrete Tees
2 courses at the same location
Cons: As mentioned, it is difficult to find pins and next tee boxes on some of the holes.
Also, a massive skate park is being constructed right in the middle of hole 1 (East course I think) Tees/Holes for 1-3 are pretty much unfindable.
Other Thoughts: Given a good map, and better hole overview signage/next tee box signs, this would be a very enjoyable course. As with several of the courses in south Florida, keep an eye out for massive spiderwebs.
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Many different styles of holes, long, short, narrow openings, wide open, no trees, trees everywhere. Makes you work on you game as a whole
Cons: Can lose your disc if you don't pay attention
Other Thoughts: This course is great for beginners and advanced players alike, nothing beats a day at the park with your friends playing some disc golf!
0 of 2 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 3 Not
I liked west better
Pros: Fairly easy course. Nice mix of right and left handed holes.
Cons: Lots of pedestrians, kite fliers etc.
Holes cross back and forth across streets.
Other Thoughts: Nothing beats a day on the course, but if you only have time for 18, play the west course.
0 of 3 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 0 Not
Fun but needs improvement
Pros: No entrance fee
No water hazard
Variety of shots
Cons: Poorly designed
Difficult to locate tees and baskets
Long pins (position "C") well over 350 feet each, not beginner friendly
No water fountains
Other Thoughts: Long course with mix of wooded and open shots. Many baskets near road. #15 forces you to throw over road with car travel.
If you go, make sure you find a local to show you around, else you won't find tee for #3 or #15 (Unmarked- Turn left at #14 basket to pad near "hill".Throw over road. Basket is set deep into alcove. Without a guide, first time visitor ,add 1 hr+ to try to find tees and baskets. Second game allows you to enjoy the course, which can be fun. I found long pins too much for players without 300 feet drives. Our best "Recreational" level player scored +18
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Shadow of its former self?
Pros: - Concrete T-pads, 2 per hole on most holes
- Good use of the available land, some creative holes.
- Practice basket / sign board at start
- Beginner friendly
- Plenty of trash cans, use em!
Cons: - Poor signage
- Course is out and back, doesn't allow for a short round.
- Some baskets are difficult to find.
- Lack of restrooms
Other Thoughts: Bottom line, I feel that this course, as is, is very average (hence the 2.5). There were a couple places where I couldn't find the next tee, like from 6 -> 7. A next tee sign at 6's basket and other baskets where you can't see the next tee would improve the course be letting allowing new players easy navigation of the holes. (if your going to play this course, hole 7 is on the other side of the parking lot from 6)
I really liked that there were 2 t pads and multiple pin locations for most holes, however, many of the tee signs were ruined to the point you can't read them. Some of these were difficult to find where exactly the baskets were (10, I think, is a good example).
Improving the signage of the entire course can be pretty inexpensive and a great way of improving the course, this would easily improve my score to above 3 as the course has a good setup. It seems like this course has just been sort of neglected for some time.
That being said, it seems like this park is the place to go as far as disc golf in the Miami area, so I'd definitely recommend it if your in the area and need your disc golf fix!
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 5 Not
Big open fields
lots of space
very well maintained
Cons: a little trick on 2 of them
theirs a fence you have to watch out for
tenth hole is a bitch
Other Thoughts: I mean i had a great game i got like birdy and par on every hole. it was nice to play on a very flat surface .
1 of 6 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 3 Not
Other Reviews are Harsh
Pros: - Variety of Shots
- Excellent use of Space
- Ability to play (2) 18-hole courses without leaving the park!
- Course appeals to both beginner and advanced player
Cons: - course does wind around a couple of low-traffic park access roads
- signs do not depict where the next tee is, though most are intuitive
Other Thoughts: To complain about what a course doesn't have, ie. hills, seems a bit like whining...how many hills have you seen in the Miami area?
2 of 5 people found this review helpful.
6 Helpful / 0 Not
Typical Florida Course
Pros: This is a typical Florida Course. Very flat. It's not a bad course but just not all that interesting. The course is flat with a combination of slightly wooded and open holes. There is an opportunity to use quite a few different style shots at this place. A roller is even handy.
Cons: The tee signs are not in good shape. There's a few that are readable but they need to be replaced for the most part. The course is mixed in with a multi use park. The east course is ok in the fact that it's not mixed in with other facilities too much. There are quite a few holes that run along the park entrance roads so I can imagine that discs get run over by cars quite often. For the most part the holes on the east course are pretty easy to find but there are no maps and the tee signs don't help with the location of the next hole.
Other Thoughts: It's the only place ot play in the area so if you live there... go. But.... don't make a special trip to Miami to play here. You'll be disappointed.
A comment regarding my evaluation of courses. I am not trying to insult or hurt any ones feelings when I review a course. I'm just trying to evaluate the course on what I feel are important characteristics of a good course. Disc golf has become a large enough sport that I feel we should strive for better than we have now. Just putting 18 holes in a park isn't enough. 18 pole holes does not make a disc golf course. It requires tee's, signs, maps, solid course design and constant maintenance. Any less than that and we will never advance the sport to a reputable level.
6 of 6 people found this review helpful.
7 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: This course is very challenging, particularly in the long-to-longs setting. It requires a bit of strategy and offers several good risk-reward opportunities. Plenty of opportunity to crush and throw rollers if you like that sort of thing. :) Very friendly/entertaining group of locals.
Minimal chances to lose discs.
Easy to navigate. Short pads are well-suited for a fun round for beginners.
Cons: A couple of the holes are a bit of a safety concern with the road coming into play. Holes 9-10 are a bit gimmicky with local-friendly trick routes.
Flat as a pancake. Not a lot of shade.
Other Thoughts: Don't be a dirty discer. Leave the course cleaner than you found it!
7 of 7 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.