Monroe, NC
Bearskin Creek Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #2 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #2 White Tee

Skip It

1    10/22/2011   5/29/2012
Review By: Buschbacher
Pros: Might be a decent course for kids when starting off. If you are in the area and would like a chance for an Ace you could give it a try.
Cons: Course is basically an open field with baskets strewn throughout. In other words there is not much to it…

1    3/23/2012   3/26/2012
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: This would be a decent course for a beginner because there aren't many obstacles and the distances are reasonable.

Other Pros:
- basic tee signs at short tee only
- dual tee areas (short tee is grass, long tee has a cement pad)
- park was mostly clean
- navigation is fine
- some elevation used
- not crowded
Cons: I say this is a beginner course because it wide open with a few trees. Experienced players may get bored.

Other Cons:
- old, beat up baskets
- creek has a lot of garbage in some places
- repetitive holes

Problems a beginner may find:
- creek hazard with a steep cliff
- walkways come in play with an errant throw
Other Thoughts: I was passing through town so I decided to stop. The course isn't really horrible but, after playing some of the other Charlotte area courses I found it boring.

I would play here if the other courses were way too crowded. If you want to play a good course, you will need to go somewhere else.

Bottom of the list.

1    3/20/2011   3/27/2011
Review By: bettsjc
Pros: Dickerson Park/Bearskin Creek DGC is what it is, and I can't say anything more positive about it.

DPBC is equipped with yellow DISCatchers with one layer of chains, one basket per hole. Tee pads are natural grass for the short tees, concrete for the longs. Tee pads are located in the vacinity of the short pads, displaying hole number, distances for short and longs, and par. No map on these signs, but not at all necessary as the course is quite open and very straight forward.

OB comes into play in a few areas, as well as Bearskin Creek, which is in play on holes 11-16. A variation of distances is present. The long tee pads will offer up some challange to this otherwise easy course.

The layout of the course flows well, and efficiently uses its area in the park. Since it is open it is pretty tough to get lost out here.

The layout of this course would be fun for a beginner. I believe this to be one of Stan McDaniel's first projects in the area, and used what the park offered quite well. I'm sure this course wasn't so bad at one time...
Cons: Where do I begin? Cons are listed in the order of importance(to me).

Baskets for holes 8 and 13 are currently missing. The tee sign for hole 8 has been spraypainted over, and the sign for 13 is missing completely, which leads me to believe this is now a 16 hole course perminantly.

Course is located in a depressed area of Monroe. My only advice would be to remember the "Safety in Numbers" phrase. Personally, I wouldn't venture to this one alone, and probably not at all during non-peak hours.

The basket for hole 7 is tagged with a "crips" paintjob on the top band(in red, still can't figure this one out). The same basket appears to have been backed into by a truck as the basket tray is bent in on one side.

Bearskin Creek is nonrelenting. The creek averages 5' in depth, and the water is near impossible to see through. Forget any disc thrown into it, you'll just be wasting your time trying to get it out and it will end up frustrating you even more. Bring throwaway plastic for these holes, I wish I did.

Very little technical aspect to the course. The front 9 plays in wide open spaces, with a couple of trees which are easy to contend with and all holes are easily reachable if you can throw around 300'. The back 9 is a little more technical, with the nasty creek to contend with, a dumpster and parking/sidewalks.
Other Thoughts: As I was playing at Dickerson I was debating the rating of the course. Early in the round I felt at 2 disc rating was right on. The experience got progressively worse, with the vandalism on the basket on hole 7 reminding me what part of town I was in, and then hole 8s basket missing completely. It was a reasonable disc golf course, until hole 13 was missing completely. It was then that I was set on the fact that this course was barely passable.

Totally not worth the trip over there if you ask me. This is the closest course to my job(3 miles away), and it took me over 2 years to finally get out there. Reviews and raitings kept me away from Dickerson. I decided to venture out of the city when the Carolina Clash was happening in Charlotte. Based on my experience here I will never be going back, not with the plethera of top-notch courses Charlotte has to offer. I apologize if this review offends anyone, but the truth hurts sometimes...

C = As average as the come

5+    9/25/2007   4/20/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- C (the creek makes it more so for lefties)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C-

2-4    4/9/2009   6/4/2008
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 3/22/2014
Pros: Course is wide open on most holes, so let it rip. It's built in the field of a very small park. Front 9 plays around a rec center.
- Course is never crowded, so you're able to play at your own pace or spend extra time practicing.
- There are some fun hole layouts here. Course does a good job taking advantage of the few obstacles - trees, hill, creek - that the terrain offers.
- #16 is solid, enjoyable hole. From the short tees, you tee off next to a playground, to a basket protected by two trees. You sail your shot too long, you bring the creek into play. A good shot results in an easy birdie, but an overaggressive shot can spell trouble.
- Over the past several years, the park has made several noticeable improvements. There's a nice, new playground along with improvements to the basketball court. Playing this course in March 2014, for the first time in several years, it was a great sight to see the park actually getting used. Maybe more park goers will help encourage locals to put forth more attention to the course.
Cons: There are still some major issues with this course, which make it an afterthought for most people.
- Baskets are in bad shape. Many are bent, crooked and/or missing. A fair number of tee signs are missing as well. Also, with the short tees not having pads, it's a real issue that the signs aren't aimed more accurately towards the basket. On #17, for example, if you use the direction of the tee sign as your compass for which hole you're throwing to, it'd be easy to surmise you're supposed to be throwing to #18 basket instead of #17.
- Course needs better signage throughout. For a first time player, you're going to extremely frustrated trying to figure out the flow/where the next hole is. Especially with several long walks, navigation is frustrating. A good course map would be a tremendous help.
- The creek that runs along and behind holes #11 - 14, 16 & 17 is filled with trash and is an unnatural, filthy color. Among the objects I've seem in the creek are a toilet and shopping carts. If you lose a disc in there, you can pretty much kiss it good-bye or risk getting an infection going after it.
- Tee pads are too short for anything more than a 1-step run-up.
- Area surrounding park is sketchy. Unlike Sugaw Creek, which also is in a questionable area, this park is usually empty and therefore poses more of a potential risk. I'd much rather play a course that has heavy foot traffic, like Sugaw, than only come across an occasional person, some of whom seemed pretty sketch.
Other Thoughts: With some work (ok, maybe a lot), course could be a respectable 2.5. For some reason, whenever I play this course, I do enjoy the course. As long as you know what you're in for - mainly a complete 180 from all Charlotte courses - and enjoy the change of pace, it's not that bad. It will still never confused with any of the area's good courses, but it does have a place in the Charlotte-area landscape.
- Distances on some tees holes didn't always seem completely accurate making for some fun over/under throws. Also, be prepared to not be able to find the long tee pads on all holes. After all these years, I still don't know where the long tee for #3 is. Are you supposed to throw on the sidewalk next to the building? 7 years later, you think I would know this by now.
- Rec center isn't always open, so good chance you have to go to gas station just up the road for a drink or bathroom.
- Because course is pretty wide open, they try to make up for it with challenging basket placements - behind trees, on edge of hill, etc.
- In the past, I would tell people to avoid this course. Now that Dry Creek is 10 minutes away, and the fact this park isn't as sketchy, I'm softening my stance. Play both courses to get a feel for some Union County disc golf.