Monroe, NC
Bearskin Creek Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #2 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #2 Blue Tee (if you look closely you can see the bottom of the basket)

Not so bad

2-4    6/26/2013   6/26/2013
Review By: 1978
This review was updated on 10/10/2013
Pros: Bearskin creek AKA Dickerson Park wasn't as bad as I expected. There are still 16 baskets. Shot shaping isn't a priority, however you have to play smart to stay in bounds or out of the creek on a number of holes. This adds to the challenge. I found the long tees which are concrete, by the way, to be a fun play. Baskets are bright old school single chain discatchers, but you just got to love that basket look. There aren't any "hidden" baskets and you know what you are shooting to. I felt the layout flowed pretty good and there weren't many dangerous spots. I was able to use a number of different speed and stability discs to complete the course. Bearskin Creek is pretty much open, as Charlotte Area courses go. You'll see it knocked down a bit for that, but I appreciate the variety and ability to air out some mids or fairway drivers. The long tees are plenty long, they are only about 6' in length but they are all flush so you have tons of run up.
Cons: Well, I'm always a bit scared parking here. Youll see some shady cats from time to time. 2 missing baskets is a minus, and there are some holes that could use limbing. The creek isnt a problem for me, but it is nasty and you'll probably be safer letting go of the wet disc. 1 basket was "slightly" bent, but did not effect its ability to catch (Hole7) I did throw to the wrong basket on hole 6 so there is some sightline and navigation issues, however they weren't the worst I have seen. If this park is busy, I can see some crowd/disc golf problems. The course plays around the border so wayward shots could endanger other patrons. I wish the park had replaced the missing baskets, they should be able to through insurance. Near the end pads and baskets get hard to follow, but 1 time through and youll be fine. I felt that it was odd the signage was at the short "grass" tee but not the long concrete tee. Youll have to look hard to find some of the longs because they are flush.
Other Thoughts: Overall I enjoyed the course. I'd play if I was in the area. CPCC is close by, and will steal a lot of traffic, but there isnt much other DG nearby. 2 missing baskets werent an issue really. 16 was plenty of play for me. I went back and looked at my reviews and this course is definitely above the 2* but below the 3* courses that I have played. I've played 18 hole courses with proper signage and navigation that had worse problems or bad design. The design here was Ok and appropriate for the area designated for disc golf (basically the boundaries of the park). If you are in Monroe and can't drive 40 minutes into Charlotte...check out bearskin creek.

Solid Little Course

1    4/8/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: tmgoff
Pros: While the Dickerson Course is not set in the most idea surroundings, (the park is located in a neighborhood of lower income housing), the course play very nicely. The site lines for each hole are clear and creative with many ace run hole. Its a great course to practice your tee shots on hittable par 3s. Several large mature trees dot the fairways and pin placements have been set with creative consideration. There really was only one hole that seemed a little awkward (the 10th) it is a short, blind tee shot that doglegs right over a large hillside. A pedestrian walkway traces the leftside fairway and this combination of pedestrian traffic and blind tee shot is a safety hazard; make sure you either have a spotter along the walkway or make sure that no one is coming before you tee off. The tee pad are grass, and usually this is a very unfavorable arrangment but it really isn't a factor @ Dickerson, (perhap the course sees so little traffic that the tee boxes aren't abused).
Other Thoughts: Dickerson Park isn't a roadtrip course per se but if you're a Charlotte disc golfer, its definately worth a trip down there to shot it. Hope you Ace one.