Monroe, NC
Bearskin Creek Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #1 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #1 White Tee

18 baskets @ Bearskin Creek

2-4    5/11/2016   5/11/2016
Review By: Disc Ryder
Pros: -GREAT COURSE! All 18 baskets are installed and ready to go!
-I get to use my drivers!!! What? In the Charlotte area? Go figure?
I like the change of pace from the heavily wooded courses in the area (which I love). But sometimes its nice to have some space to throw. Hey, if the pros can do it, why can't we?
This is an open course, BUT it still requires you to shape your shots around some very large mature trees around the park. From the long tees, you get to air out your drivers. However, there are not any easy shots. The trees require you to throw low, curve in left, right, avoid water etc... You have to make choices and hope they are good ones.
Cons: -NO ONE WAS THERE? It's a very cool course, not sure why more people don't play it?
-Creek on hole 11. It begs you to curve a shot to the right to get close to the basket, but beware. There is a creek very close to the edge and it is not a creek you want to wade in. Very muddy, murky and I came very close to a large snaper while I was trying to get my disc back.
-Couldn't find long tees for 9 and 10. They may have been on the sidewalk (spray painted) and they have worn off over time.
Other Thoughts: -It's a fun and fair course, but this is not an easy course. So don't brush it off as a mild mannered muni-course for beginners. It might seem like it for the first 5 holes, but it gets tricky once you work your way to the back of the park for holes 6-13.
-I could see tournaments or local leagues being held out here. Not sure why this course isn't being used as much?
-Go out and play it!

Bearskin Creek Deserves Better

2-4    4/27/2016   4/28/2016
Review By: BuzzSharpe
Pros: Of course, the biggest pro for me is the biggest con for others. I do enjoy and appreciate a mostly wide open layout with few, if any mountainsides to climb. Largely due to that, I think that this course gets very little play, in contrast and comparison to the many other Charlotte area courses. And that's a shame. Bearskin Creek is a great fun, while challenging layout for Newbs, as well as for old timer Rec players. And it provides ample opportunities for solid Blue and above level players to let them fly off of the tees, while being cognizant of control, because Stan did an excellent job utlizing the scattered trees and tree lines to position tees and baskets and to define fairways and greens, with additional good use of the creek flowing alongside and behind several of the back nine Holes. But at no point, did I think that that disc swallowing creek was unfairly too close or obtrusive, as is the case with so many Holes designed by another famous/infamous area designer. The slight elevation differentials are well used in making upward and downward sloping Holes and creating a couple of very fast and tricky greens. Variances in basket heights also add to the mix. Distance differences demand placement and power driving.
I was dismayed to discover that only the Blue tees have pads. The Whites are easily findable, as they are marked by each Hole's sole tee sign, which are adequate, with their basic information of Hole number, distances from each tee and on very rare occasion, Par. The White tee areas are flat. roomy and well grassed, due, I suspect to my suspected lack of play.
The baskets are old style, single chains DISCatchers, bright yellow from top to bottom, which is helpful to those with less than great vision. Of course, they will occasionally spit out a well putted disc, as number two did to me.
A local Eagle Scout constructed and installed a very fine course overview sign, with map and each Hole's distances. Restrooms and a cold water fountain are available inside the gymnasium building, as long as it's open, or there's someone to answer the doorbell.
Being as open and relatively short as it is, Bearskin is navigable, as most times you can see the basket from the tee and you can see the next tee from the basket. I did have to retee on #4, as I originally drove at the wrong basket. Glad I wasn't playng a tournament.
The course and the park were both well maintained and clean. The only trash I saw was a discarded beer container in the #1 fairway and a very few cigarette butts here and there.
Cons: Par assignations. There appears to be discrepency between what's listed here on the site and what is listed on a very few of the tee signs. 10 and 11 are signed as 4's, despite distances tat would generally be too short to constitute such a par rating. Ten is an uphill, hard breaking left to right, narrow fairway between a forest and a paved walkway. 11 is one of the, if not the longest White Hole on the course, with probably the most trees AND the creek, so I called them 4's today, just to make up for the drowned disc penalty stroke bogey on the next Hole, the rattled brain bogey on the following Hole, my mental death on the following deuce or die Hole and my OB penalty following that. In reality, though, by todays' standards, there's probably only one legitimate Par 4 on the course, that being 11 Blue.
There are no benches, though there are plenty of shady grassy areas on which to take a sit, along with several picnic tables between 12 and 13, I believe it is. There is a hot water fountain between 8 and 9, I think, but it's broken. There are restrooms out around 14, but they were padlocked with steel mesh doors.
Though I don't play them, I always look for the long tees and a coupla them were hard to find. The big hardwood at the beginning of #1 needs some serious limbing to make a legitimate Blue fairway.
Other Thoughts: Dickerson Park is really a nice and pretty park with a variety of activities...the community center/gymnasium building with full court indoor basketball, outdoor basketball and tennis courts, ballfields, picnic tables near the creeek and a contemporary kids' playground. And there was virtually no one there either day that I was, and literally nobody else on the disc golf course.

1    2/9/2015   2/9/2015
Review By: Drashid0
Pros: There are 18 total baskets. Bearskin Creek is an awesome course for open play. Although it may be easy and redundant for advanced players but I definitely recommend you go out to BSC at least once for the experience. Accurate distance posts and not crowded at all. No blind shots. Easy to Navigate. Tee pads are for the long throws and grass for the short throws.
Cons: No trashcans and no benches. Not very much of a variety of shots since it is all open. Barely any signage. Only the long throws have pads and you have to look for them its tricky. #7 and #14 share the same tee pad for the long throw. Posts don't have maps
Other Thoughts: Small creek comes into play on a few of the holes nothing to worry about as long as you alternate your throw.

Not so bad

2-4    6/26/2013   6/26/2013
Review By: 1978
This review was updated on 10/10/2013
Pros: Bearskin creek AKA Dickerson Park wasn't as bad as I expected. There are still 16 baskets. Shot shaping isn't a priority, however you have to play smart to stay in bounds or out of the creek on a number of holes. This adds to the challenge. I found the long tees which are concrete, by the way, to be a fun play. Baskets are bright old school single chain discatchers, but you just got to love that basket look. There aren't any "hidden" baskets and you know what you are shooting to. I felt the layout flowed pretty good and there weren't many dangerous spots. I was able to use a number of different speed and stability discs to complete the course. Bearskin Creek is pretty much open, as Charlotte Area courses go. You'll see it knocked down a bit for that, but I appreciate the variety and ability to air out some mids or fairway drivers. The long tees are plenty long, they are only about 6' in length but they are all flush so you have tons of run up.
Cons: Well, I'm always a bit scared parking here. Youll see some shady cats from time to time. 2 missing baskets is a minus, and there are some holes that could use limbing. The creek isnt a problem for me, but it is nasty and you'll probably be safer letting go of the wet disc. 1 basket was "slightly" bent, but did not effect its ability to catch (Hole7) I did throw to the wrong basket on hole 6 so there is some sightline and navigation issues, however they weren't the worst I have seen. If this park is busy, I can see some crowd/disc golf problems. The course plays around the border so wayward shots could endanger other patrons. I wish the park had replaced the missing baskets, they should be able to through insurance. Near the end pads and baskets get hard to follow, but 1 time through and youll be fine. I felt that it was odd the signage was at the short "grass" tee but not the long concrete tee. Youll have to look hard to find some of the longs because they are flush.
Other Thoughts: Overall I enjoyed the course. I'd play if I was in the area. CPCC is close by, and will steal a lot of traffic, but there isnt much other DG nearby. 2 missing baskets werent an issue really. 16 was plenty of play for me. I went back and looked at my reviews and this course is definitely above the 2* but below the 3* courses that I have played. I've played 18 hole courses with proper signage and navigation that had worse problems or bad design. The design here was Ok and appropriate for the area designated for disc golf (basically the boundaries of the park). If you are in Monroe and can't drive 40 minutes into Charlotte...check out bearskin creek.

Want to rate it higher!

1    10/17/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: Its pretty open which is rare for this area and even though it is open it is not really easy from the long pads.

The Short pads are great for new players to learn the game.

I felt like there was a pretty good mix of short and long holes and different shot shapes.
Cons: Its in a somewhat bad neighborhood although I had no issues

Navigation can be an issue even though the course flows pretty well there can be some confusion from time to time and the long pads dont have a sign showing you where they are so you have to search a little.

Some teesigns are missing which isnt nearly as bad as the 2 baskets that are missing.

Graffiti on a few baskets.
Other Thoughts: I really thought the design of this course was solid and if it wern't for all of the issues with equipment and navigation I would likely rate this course much higher but alas it has too many issues for me to justify a higher rating.

if you are close by and wanting to bag a course this one is a decent one to add but i wouldn't go out of your way.

Dickerson Park

5+    9/8/2012   10/1/2012
Review By: Hornberger
Pros: As the course is never crowded and the front nine holes are fairly open, you can really take your time and work on your form and distance techniques. Get a few friends and work on trash talking and CTP challenges! Four or five holes run along a deep creek, so keep your throws on the left side of the fairway to ensure that you leave with the same number of discs you came out with!
Cons: Several baskets on the course are gone. Some are bent and truly in bad shape. The course winds itself around a park perimeter adjacent to a community center. Not a great area to play solo.
Other Thoughts: With so many new and wonderful courses around the Charlotte area, this course has certainly been neglected. But, if you just want to go out and throw, and live close, the front nine are worth a drive.

Skip It

1    10/22/2011   5/29/2012
Review By: Buschbacher
Pros: Might be a decent course for kids when starting off. If you are in the area and would like a chance for an Ace you could give it a try.
Cons: Course is basically an open field with baskets strewn throughout. In other words there is not much to it...

1    3/23/2012   3/26/2012
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: This would be a decent course for a beginner because there aren't many obstacles and the distances are reasonable.

Other Pros:
- basic tee signs at short tee only
- dual tee areas (short tee is grass, long tee has a cement pad)
- park was mostly clean
- navigation is fine
- some elevation used
- not crowded
Cons: I say this is a beginner course because it wide open with a few trees. Experienced players may get bored.

Other Cons:
- old, beat up baskets
- creek has a lot of garbage in some places
- repetitive holes

Problems a beginner may find:
- creek hazard with a steep cliff
- walkways come in play with an errant throw
Other Thoughts: I was passing through town so I decided to stop. The course isn't really horrible but, after playing some of the other Charlotte area courses I found it boring.

I would play here if the other courses were way too crowded. If you want to play a good course, you will need to go somewhere else.

Bottom of the list.

1    3/20/2011   3/27/2011
Review By: bettsjc
Pros: Dickerson Park/Bearskin Creek DGC is what it is, and I can't say anything more positive about it.

DPBC is equipped with yellow DISCatchers with one layer of chains, one basket per hole. Tee pads are natural grass for the short tees, concrete for the longs. Tee pads are located in the vacinity of the short pads, displaying hole number, distances for short and longs, and par. No map on these signs, but not at all necessary as the course is quite open and very straight forward.

OB comes into play in a few areas, as well as Bearskin Creek, which is in play on holes 11-16. A variation of distances is present. The long tee pads will offer up some challange to this otherwise easy course.

The layout of the course flows well, and efficiently uses its area in the park. Since it is open it is pretty tough to get lost out here.

The layout of this course would be fun for a beginner. I believe this to be one of Stan McDaniel's first projects in the area, and used what the park offered quite well. I'm sure this course wasn't so bad at one time...
Cons: Where do I begin? Cons are listed in the order of importance(to me).

Baskets for holes 8 and 13 are currently missing. The tee sign for hole 8 has been spraypainted over, and the sign for 13 is missing completely, which leads me to believe this is now a 16 hole course perminantly.

Course is located in a depressed area of Monroe. My only advice would be to remember the "Safety in Numbers" phrase. Personally, I wouldn't venture to this one alone, and probably not at all during non-peak hours.

The basket for hole 7 is tagged with a "crips" paintjob on the top band(in red, still can't figure this one out). The same basket appears to have been backed into by a truck as the basket tray is bent in on one side.

Bearskin Creek is nonrelenting. The creek averages 5' in depth, and the water is near impossible to see through. Forget any disc thrown into it, you'll just be wasting your time trying to get it out and it will end up frustrating you even more. Bring throwaway plastic for these holes, I wish I did.

Very little technical aspect to the course. The front 9 plays in wide open spaces, with a couple of trees which are easy to contend with and all holes are easily reachable if you can throw around 300'. The back 9 is a little more technical, with the nasty creek to contend with, a dumpster and parking/sidewalks.
Other Thoughts: As I was playing at Dickerson I was debating the rating of the course. Early in the round I felt at 2 disc rating was right on. The experience got progressively worse, with the vandalism on the basket on hole 7 reminding me what part of town I was in, and then hole 8s basket missing completely. It was a reasonable disc golf course, until hole 13 was missing completely. It was then that I was set on the fact that this course was barely passable.

Totally not worth the trip over there if you ask me. This is the closest course to my job(3 miles away), and it took me over 2 years to finally get out there. Reviews and raitings kept me away from Dickerson. I decided to venture out of the city when the Carolina Clash was happening in Charlotte. Based on my experience here I will never be going back, not with the plethera of top-notch courses Charlotte has to offer. I apologize if this review offends anyone, but the truth hurts sometimes...

Did not enjoy this course

1    1/9/2011   1/13/2011
Review By: Buzzs1966
Pros: It is a wide open course great for a beginner on the first nine which is near the road and seems safe.
Cons: baskets were missing and damaged on the back 9, also had gang grafitti which made my wife very uncomfortable. The back 9 is farther into the park and seemed very secluded. It was very empty and not well used they appear to be trying to rehab the park but I would suggest waiting to play here when the construction is complete and probably on summer days when there are more people there. It seems to be in a depressed neighborhood so safety was a concern.
Other Thoughts: This could be a great and challenging course once they are finished fixing it up. It looks like they are trying to do this.....