Monroe, NC
Bearskin Creek Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #2 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #2 White Tee

Not so bad

2-4    6/26/2013   6/26/2013
Review By: 1978
This review was updated on 10/10/2013
Pros: Bearskin creek AKA Dickerson Park wasn't as bad as I expected. There are still 16 baskets. Shot shaping isn't a priority, however you have to play smart to stay in bounds or out of the creek on a number of holes. This adds to the challenge. I found the long tees which are concrete, by the way, to be a fun play. Baskets are bright old school single chain discatchers, but you just got to love that basket look. There aren't any "hidden" baskets and you know what you are shooting to. I felt the layout flowed pretty good and there weren't many dangerous spots. I was able to use a number of different speed and stability discs to complete the course. Bearskin Creek is pretty much open, as Charlotte Area courses go. You'll see it knocked down a bit for that, but I appreciate the variety and ability to air out some mids or fairway drivers. The long tees are plenty long, they are only about 6' in length but they are all flush so you have tons of run up.
Cons: Well, I'm always a bit scared parking here. Youll see some shady cats from time to time. 2 missing baskets is a minus, and there are some holes that could use limbing. The creek isnt a problem for me, but it is nasty and you'll probably be safer letting go of the wet disc. 1 basket was "slightly" bent, but did not effect its ability to catch (Hole7) I did throw to the wrong basket on hole 6 so there is some sightline and navigation issues, however they weren't the worst I have seen. If this park is busy, I can see some crowd/disc golf problems. The course plays around the border so wayward shots could endanger other patrons. I wish the park had replaced the missing baskets, they should be able to through insurance. Near the end pads and baskets get hard to follow, but 1 time through and youll be fine. I felt that it was odd the signage was at the short "grass" tee but not the long concrete tee. Youll have to look hard to find some of the longs because they are flush.
Other Thoughts: Overall I enjoyed the course. I'd play if I was in the area. CPCC is close by, and will steal a lot of traffic, but there isnt much other DG nearby. 2 missing baskets werent an issue really. 16 was plenty of play for me. I went back and looked at my reviews and this course is definitely above the 2* but below the 3* courses that I have played. I've played 18 hole courses with proper signage and navigation that had worse problems or bad design. The design here was Ok and appropriate for the area designated for disc golf (basically the boundaries of the park). If you are in Monroe and can't drive 40 minutes into Charlotte...check out bearskin creek.

Want to rate it higher!

1    10/17/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: Its pretty open which is rare for this area and even though it is open it is not really easy from the long pads.

The Short pads are great for new players to learn the game.

I felt like there was a pretty good mix of short and long holes and different shot shapes.
Cons: Its in a somewhat bad neighborhood although I had no issues

Navigation can be an issue even though the course flows pretty well there can be some confusion from time to time and the long pads dont have a sign showing you where they are so you have to search a little.

Some teesigns are missing which isnt nearly as bad as the 2 baskets that are missing.

Graffiti on a few baskets.
Other Thoughts: I really thought the design of this course was solid and if it wern't for all of the issues with equipment and navigation I would likely rate this course much higher but alas it has too many issues for me to justify a higher rating.

if you are close by and wanting to bag a course this one is a decent one to add but i wouldn't go out of your way.

Dickerson Park

5+    9/8/2012   10/1/2012
Review By: Hornberger
Pros: As the course is never crowded and the front nine holes are fairly open, you can really take your time and work on your form and distance techniques. Get a few friends and work on trash talking and CTP challenges! Four or five holes run along a deep creek, so keep your throws on the left side of the fairway to ensure that you leave with the same number of discs you came out with!
Cons: Several baskets on the course are gone. Some are bent and truly in bad shape. The course winds itself around a park perimeter adjacent to a community center. Not a great area to play solo.
Other Thoughts: With so many new and wonderful courses around the Charlotte area, this course has certainly been neglected. But, if you just want to go out and throw, and live close, the front nine are worth a drive.

Skip It

1    10/22/2011   5/29/2012
Review By: Buschbacher
Pros: Might be a decent course for kids when starting off. If you are in the area and would like a chance for an Ace you could give it a try.
Cons: Course is basically an open field with baskets strewn throughout. In other words there is not much to it…

1    3/23/2012   3/26/2012
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: This would be a decent course for a beginner because there aren't many obstacles and the distances are reasonable.

Other Pros:
- basic tee signs at short tee only
- dual tee areas (short tee is grass, long tee has a cement pad)
- park was mostly clean
- navigation is fine
- some elevation used
- not crowded
Cons: I say this is a beginner course because it wide open with a few trees. Experienced players may get bored.

Other Cons:
- old, beat up baskets
- creek has a lot of garbage in some places
- repetitive holes

Problems a beginner may find:
- creek hazard with a steep cliff
- walkways come in play with an errant throw
Other Thoughts: I was passing through town so I decided to stop. The course isn't really horrible but, after playing some of the other Charlotte area courses I found it boring.

I would play here if the other courses were way too crowded. If you want to play a good course, you will need to go somewhere else.

Bottom of the list.

1    3/20/2011   3/27/2011
Review By: bettsjc
Pros: Dickerson Park/Bearskin Creek DGC is what it is, and I can't say anything more positive about it.

DPBC is equipped with yellow DISCatchers with one layer of chains, one basket per hole. Tee pads are natural grass for the short tees, concrete for the longs. Tee pads are located in the vacinity of the short pads, displaying hole number, distances for short and longs, and par. No map on these signs, but not at all necessary as the course is quite open and very straight forward.

OB comes into play in a few areas, as well as Bearskin Creek, which is in play on holes 11-16. A variation of distances is present. The long tee pads will offer up some challange to this otherwise easy course.

The layout of the course flows well, and efficiently uses its area in the park. Since it is open it is pretty tough to get lost out here.

The layout of this course would be fun for a beginner. I believe this to be one of Stan McDaniel's first projects in the area, and used what the park offered quite well. I'm sure this course wasn't so bad at one time...
Cons: Where do I begin? Cons are listed in the order of importance(to me).

Baskets for holes 8 and 13 are currently missing. The tee sign for hole 8 has been spraypainted over, and the sign for 13 is missing completely, which leads me to believe this is now a 16 hole course perminantly.

Course is located in a depressed area of Monroe. My only advice would be to remember the "Safety in Numbers" phrase. Personally, I wouldn't venture to this one alone, and probably not at all during non-peak hours.

The basket for hole 7 is tagged with a "crips" paintjob on the top band(in red, still can't figure this one out). The same basket appears to have been backed into by a truck as the basket tray is bent in on one side.

Bearskin Creek is nonrelenting. The creek averages 5' in depth, and the water is near impossible to see through. Forget any disc thrown into it, you'll just be wasting your time trying to get it out and it will end up frustrating you even more. Bring throwaway plastic for these holes, I wish I did.

Very little technical aspect to the course. The front 9 plays in wide open spaces, with a couple of trees which are easy to contend with and all holes are easily reachable if you can throw around 300'. The back 9 is a little more technical, with the nasty creek to contend with, a dumpster and parking/sidewalks.
Other Thoughts: As I was playing at Dickerson I was debating the rating of the course. Early in the round I felt at 2 disc rating was right on. The experience got progressively worse, with the vandalism on the basket on hole 7 reminding me what part of town I was in, and then hole 8s basket missing completely. It was a reasonable disc golf course, until hole 13 was missing completely. It was then that I was set on the fact that this course was barely passable.

Totally not worth the trip over there if you ask me. This is the closest course to my job(3 miles away), and it took me over 2 years to finally get out there. Reviews and raitings kept me away from Dickerson. I decided to venture out of the city when the Carolina Clash was happening in Charlotte. Based on my experience here I will never be going back, not with the plethera of top-notch courses Charlotte has to offer. I apologize if this review offends anyone, but the truth hurts sometimes...

Did not enjoy this course

1    1/9/2011   1/13/2011
Review By: Buzzs1966
Pros: It is a wide open course great for a beginner on the first nine which is near the road and seems safe.
Cons: baskets were missing and damaged on the back 9, also had gang grafitti which made my wife very uncomfortable. The back 9 is farther into the park and seemed very secluded. It was very empty and not well used they appear to be trying to rehab the park but I would suggest waiting to play here when the construction is complete and probably on summer days when there are more people there. It seems to be in a depressed neighborhood so safety was a concern.
Other Thoughts: This could be a great and challenging course once they are finished fixing it up. It looks like they are trying to do this.....

air it out

5+    10/8/2009   10/20/2009
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: mostly open layout that favors big arms. never crowded, except the occassional pic-nic crowd. pretty easy to follow, tee pads are concrete at long posisitions, grass for shorts. the creek is a factor on the last 6 holes.
Cons: the creek is freakin nasty... if you lose one in the water, forget it.... probably the funkiest, nastiest creek ive ever seen. this place gets no love, not many people play here. but i like it.
Other Thoughts: good place to air it out, the wind is usually a factor here, and the creek is a brutal nasty fothermucker

C = As average as the come

5+    9/25/2007   4/20/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- C (the creek makes it more so for lefties)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C-

Solid Little Course

1    4/8/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: tmgoff
Pros: While the Dickerson Course is not set in the most idea surroundings, (the park is located in a neighborhood of lower income housing), the course play very nicely. The site lines for each hole are clear and creative with many ace run hole. Its a great course to practice your tee shots on hittable par 3s. Several large mature trees dot the fairways and pin placements have been set with creative consideration. There really was only one hole that seemed a little awkward (the 10th) it is a short, blind tee shot that doglegs right over a large hillside. A pedestrian walkway traces the leftside fairway and this combination of pedestrian traffic and blind tee shot is a safety hazard; make sure you either have a spotter along the walkway or make sure that no one is coming before you tee off. The tee pad are grass, and usually this is a very unfavorable arrangment but it really isn't a factor @ Dickerson, (perhap the course sees so little traffic that the tee boxes aren't abused).
Other Thoughts: Dickerson Park isn't a roadtrip course per se but if you're a Charlotte disc golfer, its definately worth a trip down there to shot it. Hope you Ace one.