Millington/Memphis, TN
Meeman-Shelby State Park - East Share
Uploaded By: bball7273 Hole #11 (Taken 12/2012)
3 / 270ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Meeman-Shelby East

2-4    3/30/2014   4/2/2014
Review By: lowrie4
This review was updated on 4/25/2014
Pros: Great course overall. Mostly wooded holes, with one or two more open holes at the beginning. The wooded holes present a challenge and require a variety of shots in order to navigate. If you miss the fairway though, prepare to scramble in order to get back on. The elevation on most holes adds an interesting element to playing through the course. Overall, a great course that should present a challenge for pros and ams alike.
Cons: Every hole aside from the first two are heavily wooded which gets old after a while. Playing through this course I never had to pull out anything faster than a Teebird and I used my Roc on nearly every hole. The first time I played this course it had recently snowed which made the conditions tough and because it was my first time, it made course navigation rather challenging. A few more signs around the course would be beneficial for first time players.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a very enjoyable course if you know what you're getting. Expect lots of trees and be ready to work on accurate, short, stay in the fairway kinds of shots. I would say if you're visiting Memphis and only have time to play a round I would recommend coming here to play. Meeman-Shelby is my personal favorite disc golf location in Memphis.

Great course with wilderness feel

2-4    8/7/2012   8/14/2012
Review By: Rosswake
Pros: The signage was excellent, trash cans available at most holes, easy to identify where next hole/tee box are (with only one exception). I enjoyed the variety of shots required for this course and the manicured atmosphere as well. Even though I didn't see a course guide online, you can take a picture of the course layout at the parking lot bulletin board.
Cons: The only downside was that there were no other players on the course while I was playing. I played 3 rounds, so expected to have some company at some point. Normally, playing solo is not a big deal but cell phone coverage is not the best and I didn't have service about half the time. Thankfully, I could walk a few hundred feet and get at least a bar (in case of emergency). I wasn't too concerned with safety though because the DNR vehicles and park maintenance folks were not far away. I enjoyed this course and would play it again if the opportunity arises.
Other Thoughts: I'd say to play the "east" course twice instead of spending time on the "West" course at this park. Just my opinion though.

Wooded and wonderful

1    7/1/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: NDABRUSH
Pros: Pretty easy to navigate. Secluded and peaceful. Free!!! I don't know about the rest of the Tenn state park courses as far as entry fees go. Plenty of ace runs, but some are technical. Decent elevation on several holes. Like the west course, the east courses t signs tell you where to walk for the next hole. There are even some of the original signs off to the side on some of the holes. You can tell they are from when the course opened, because for example 1 of them read" 265 ft. par 4". That to me screams STEADY ED!!, which is perfect for those that prefer wooded courses, just not 10000 ft. ones. It was weird looking at 2 different signs on a hole. Some courses have none, this one has 2 on some and always 1. Most pads were concrete except for a few that were carpet. 3 dif pin positions and today they were a mix of long and med and 1 or 2 shorts. The terrain ranged from flat to medium elevation with a couple of empty the baggers.
Cons: Like the west course, this one is not very long while still longer than the west. It will not present much of a challenge to pro level players. I bet it can get muddy in the winter like most Heavily wooded courses.
Other Thoughts: For what it is which is a shorter old school wooded course, it's an average 4 in my book. If I were holding it to today's course standards, I would prob give it a 3 1/2 or 3. For being over 30 yrs old, it holds it's own with rec players like me. For upper level players, it will probably rank 3 or down if you consider challenge to be a major factor in grading a course on this site. If you love wooded courses, you will enjoys these 2. Out of 36, 32 are wooded and 4 are more open.

Pretty Tough

1    10/9/2009   10/11/2009
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: Very tough wooded course. I came out quite humbled. Most of the holes are fair, but I had a rough day and it felt tougher than it was. A nice variety of shots required for a wooded course. They did great job making this course, because I can only imagine how much work was needed to make this the course that it is. It is in the middle of nowhere. Be ready to get your butt kicked from the get go because #1 is rough. A good control player will be able to pick this apart...unfortunately, that is not me. Tee pads were great.
Cons: Mosquitos were insane. We played in rough rain and they were still all over us. I found that is was tough to find certain pins off the tee and a few of the tees were tough to find.
Other Thoughts: I agree with the review that said it is a very nice course, but there is nothing extremely memorable about it...no signature type holes, but a very consistent, well made, and well maintained course. Probably 2nd best in the area (after Bud Hill). Make sure you go to the Shelby Forest General Store for some delicious cheeseburgers. They also have a very cool disc selection there (for sale). Lots of cool custom dyed discs. The people there are awesome!

1    5/21/2009   5/24/2009
Review By: peabody
Pros: If you are in Memphis, you must play this course. The first hole alone will kick you butt. The baskets were mostly in the long position and each an every hole was a challenge from start to finish. Tough tight shots were a must. This is Roc and Buzz territory if you can make them turn hard right or left after a 250 foot throw. Benches, wastebaskets and mostly good tee signs and the DGA baskets make this a must for Memphis.
The mosquitos weren't bad at all. Bathroom right there!
Cons: Harder than heck to get to if you google map it. Roads go everywhere there and you can get lost really easy. If you make it to the store , you must ask for directions or you will be driving for 15 minutes instead of 5.
Other Thoughts: While you can lose a disc the chances are slim if you watch your errant throws. Other than that, just a great laid out course.

Dogwood Classic

1    5/2/2009   5/4/2009
Review By: manglin
Pros: This course if very challenging and almost grueling. It has excellent signs. Good tees and baskets. Lots of trash cans and benches. Nice elevation changes. Nice restrooms.
Cons: Mostly wooded, so there are not many open holes. State park entry fee.
Other Thoughts: The course has a very professional feel. The east side is called the "Beast", and I'd say it's tougher and more punishing than the west. Even though it's very wooded, there is still lots of variety within the woods. There is elevation, blind baskets, straight, bends to the right, bends to the left, etc. Find the pavilion and there will be a very intricate, large course map. Plan to play both courses.