Queenstown, New Zealand
Queenstown Gardens Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #8 (Taken 7/2013)
Hole #8 Approach

Most Diverse Course

5+    8/12/2008   6/2/2012
Review By: Salki12
Pros: Most interesting, diverse course I have ever played. Some holes have strategic obstacles, (throw through trees before basket, hit tree between painted lines, throw between rock and tree to end hole, etc.) Best scenery of any course. Pushes you to your limits regarding skill and accuracy on some holes, but every round is new and exciting.
Cons: A lot of holes run down hill towards the lake, and if you get a roller, your disc wont stop until it is in the water! A lot of people think that they can sit in the middle of the fairway and relax, so you are dodging people all the time. The course was usually busy. Wind coming off the lake can be annoying at times.
Other Thoughts: I learned to play Disc Golf on this course while serving my church mission. I wish I could go back now and use some of my new discs and do better. I wish more courses would make obstacle holes and not just baskets, because that added another level of fun, uniqueness to this course. Overall every time I play, I tell people about the Queenstown course, and how cool and unique it was!

Beautiful

2-4    12/10/2011   12/10/2011
Review By: stimpsonhoek
Pros: Scenic, and then some. Great use of the park, with very little interference from walkers. All holes have baskets and tees, with hole maps at the tees, and arrows/distances to next tee on each basket. Informative sign as well by tee 1. I think it as hole 10 that had the basket right near the water. Pause there for a bit, sit on the bench, and admire the great view that you don't have at your usual course, if this isn't it. The ice rink has disks for rent/purchase and scorecards for a buck or two (at the time they sold for cheaper than the stores in town, which there are at least 3 that sell disks). Mostly short holes that require more finesse than power, with some elevation changes and dog legs and trees and, oh, those mountain views. The flowers are nice too, but landing in them takes a penalty throw. Enjoy tee 2, just don't take a big run-up (not that one is needed).
Cons: I was able to shoot under par both times I played, and only using one disk. First time was with a san marino roc, second time with a first run MRV. So if you are in to long distance bombs, this course doesn't have that. A good chance of having to wait at some holes, as this park is quite used by alot of other people. We were lucky enough to not have many issues at all.
Other Thoughts: Most of the people there seemed to have no idea what the baskets were there for, which drew the bulk of the attention and curiosity that slowed down our play. But of course, i'm sure you enjoy sharing this game with others, so offer them a disk, and let them throw at the basket. We all know that once you hit the chains, you are hooked. I was able to bring this into the lives of three different groups of Germans, one of which spoke good english. They all got a kick out of it, I think.

Awesome!!!

1    3/18/2011   5/4/2011
Review By: elsteveo30
Pros: What an awesome course, located is such a beautiful area! We only had time to play one round between all the other stuff we were doing in Queenstown, but I'm sure we squeezed it in. Great tee signs! Short but challenging holes, especially with the wind which was up when we played!
Cons: Short course, but the scenery makes up for that! Lots of pedestrians everywhere, Punters as they are called in NZ, so take your time and wait for them to pass.
Other Thoughts: Definitely the most scenic course I have ever played!

They're trying

2-4    2/13/2010   6/13/2010
Review By: justinTHEcoastie
Pros: Free, you can drink, and of course it's Queenstown, NZ, one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Cons: Not all 18 baskets installed, sometimes you have to throw at a pole, or between two trees. The place is ALWAYS crowded so you're throwing at people all the time. The front 9 is heavily sloped to the right at all times, it's hard on your feet.
Other Thoughts: I was on vacation and passing through queenstown when I found out about the place, I was just happy I could play. Discs in NZ are pretty expensive, though I was able to get a putter that's only available there.

Short and Sweet

1    4/20/2010   5/11/2010
Review By: chickadisca34
Pros: -Very well marked
-Gorgeous area
-Not crowded
-Friendly passersby
-Clean
-Good use of elevation
-Nice variety (most holes fairly short though)
Cons: -Very short holes (a couple longer ones, 400+)
-Some non-basket targets were difficult to see
Other Thoughts: Excellent experience at the Queenstown gardens. I drug along my mom and aunt and they loved it! Fun little course, definitely worth tossing some plastic if you're in the area. Plus its a nice little town.

2 weeks at the Gardens

5+    3/20/2010   3/31/2010
Review By: slowRoll
Pros: Absolutely beautiful course with good mixture of open/wooded holes with dogleg left/right not really favoring right or left handed throwers. Course was in tip top shape as they were preparing for their annual March NZ Tour tournament. Sequoia trees, flowers everywhere, ponds with lily pads, ducks. My wife fell in love with how beautiful the park was. Clean, no trash anywhere, friendliest locals I've ever met. Unique objects on the 4 holes that had object(though they will be replaced by the end of 2010 with new baskets). Basically I felt like I was discgolfing in paradise.
Cons: Course was short. Very short. I threw a buzzz or a putter off the tee on over a third of the holes. Very popular city park with walkpaths winding through course, and even through a couple of fairways! Tons of tourists that don't speak English visit this park every day. The best approach I can recomend is just to wait until they move out of your way because they probably won't understand you, even if you tell them you are about to throw their way.
Other Thoughts: Overall, my 3rd favorite course ever. I can't even describe to you exactly how beautiful this park is; I would have just hung out in this place even if there wasn't a course, and the fact that there happens to be a fully fleshed out 18 hole discgolf course weaving it's way through the park, is just a bonus.