Layout Extinct

South Elgin, IL
Village Center DGC - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #1 (Taken 10/2010)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

total garbage

1    6/13/2009   12/22/2009
Review By: 815RocSolid
Pros: -decent baskets
Cons: - HORRRRRRRIBLE tees
- one of the most confusing layouts ever
-easy to grip lock a disc into the river
Other Thoughts: me and my buds made a little mini tour of our area and this was the first course we hit. wow, what a bad way to start off the day. wasted a solid hour on a 9-holer, solely from looking for tees. AND we never even found 9. garbage, dont waste ur time unless u live across the street.

Why Couldn't This Course be Awesome

2-4    6/10/2008   6/11/2009
Review By: Daffron24
Pros: It's a disc golf course, right?
Cons: Two locations for the short course. No signs, teepads, next to a baseball field. This course may be the most poorly designed course I have ever been to.
Other Thoughts: iving in a nearby town I was really hoping for a fun course, but I'm not really sure what I got. I don't just want to bash this course, because this is to help people learn about a course. If you have no other way to play other course, than yes play this course. But if you can play other courses Streamwood, St. Charles, and West Dundee have courses which are a lot more enjoyable and still easy for beginners.

do not stop

1    8/24/2008   10/24/2008
Review By: duain
Pros: the baskets
Cons: no signs, no teepads, no flow, have to search for the half the baskets that are in the police departments empty lot. a few blocks and under an overpass away. lots of biting flies
Other Thoughts: will never go here again. the only thing this place has going is the nice baskets.

close but no cigar

1    10/2/2008   10/20/2008
Review By: tntbuffallo
Pros: LIke the other said before, not much of a coarse. I live very close and I hoped for the best.The only reason too go back to this coarse is to practice my putting.
Cons: It's like a maze, no real design to the coarse. Good luck in finding all 9 holes in three differant parks. One might have to drive (car) to get to the last 4 holes.
Other Thoughts: I gave this coarse .5 just for the baskets.
I would rather go to my local forest preserve and use trees as my holes.

Avoid!

1    8/7/2008   9/30/2008
Review By: krc1130
Pros: Very few pros here, if any. Nice course to practice some shots.
Cons: Oh goodness, where to begin. First off, I had a heck of a time finding the first tee. I had to guesstimate and shoot from where I thought it would be. It took me a little while to figure that the holes are marked with almost unnoticeable markers in the ground. That alone makes me want to avoid it. It also doesn't help that the course is wedged in the middle of a busy park, surrounded by homes, a playground, a busy road, and a parking lot for a baseball field. You definitely run the risk of breaking a car/home window or hitting someone. Bad flow, lots of backtracking, poor hole layout...the course itself provides very little. There is no challenge with these shots, as it looks like someone just randomly placed a bunch of baskets in the middle of a busy park. It looks like no time was spent designing this course.
Other Thoughts: There's not much else to add, really...this course has almost no redeeming quality, as it is just not a pleasant place to play a round of disc golf. Too many dangers with your shots, and that certainly isn't worth it to play a poor course like this.

Never again

5/13/2008   5/14/2008
Review By: agentdave
Pros: Close. Maybe good for putting practice at one of the holes if bored
Cons: Where to start. Well, I get to the course, park the car and get out, and I am swarmed with little bugs. EVERYWHERE. Holes 1-4 play close to one another to the point where you may be sharing fairways with people on other holes. Hole one plays perpendicular to and towards Rt.31, Don't over shoot this hole!!! The basket for hole 2 is about 15 feet from the parking lot for a baseball field. Really, there were 5 cars right next to each other, with the first being no more then 15 feet from the hole. Mind you the basket is also directly across a creek you must throw over. It was a little windy today, although I was behind a hedge. Being about 25 feet from the hole, I threw perpendicular to the cars, which were to the left. I threw 5 feet to the right of the hole intending to lay up short and to the right. No power. Well, the disc crossed the creek, which was acting like a big wind tunnel and turned it left, then the straight driveway to the parking area is right at the hole, so now with my disc lifted and rolling left, it hit the next wind tunnel from the driveway and went 90 degree's left and doubled it's speed. Well, the owner of the car was right there, and I only scuffed it and I gave him my info. Needless to say most people would not expect the creek to create a wind tunnel and roll a disc so hard. More cars will get hit. The wind in the open field was about 15-20 mph, when I crossed the bridge over the creek I about fell over. Next, hole 4 plays with the parking lot for the park a little to the left. Release a little early, or throw to high with-out much power and you will hit a car. What do most new people do, throw to high with little power. Right back hand to high, and that disc will go 40+ feet to the right about 100-150 ft out. That will put you right into the middle of the parking lot.
I could not find the tee for hole 5. By the way, the course has no signs or maps, the tees are grass, and they are marked with 4"x4" flat number markers, with the numbers facing the sky. They stick about 3/4 inch above the dirt....the grass is usually 2 or more inches, so unless you are looking down on the marker, you will not see it. I threw from my own tee for #5. At the hole there is a sign the reads "you have just completed hole #5...bla bla bla... please go through the park past the building under the bridge to holes 6-9" Well, after I realized they did not mean a build that is under a bridge I got a good laugh at myself. Seeing the building was large, and not relatively close, and then there is a bridge with four lanes over the river, then hole 6 beyond that somewhere, I gave up. I did not feel like walking a 1/4 mile to the next hole. Maybe I was to upset about hitting that car, and the woman that was cursing because she had a baseball game to watch and didn't want to "worry about some stupid frisbee game." At least the guy that owned the truck I hit was nice and understanding. (By the way, his truck was the 5th vehicle over, my disc cleared the other four, including to full size SUV's. That is how much the wind took it.) Anyway, maybe being new they just have not finished yet with signs and stuff. I would like to know the person that placed the holes and what they were thinking. I know there is not much room to work with there, but I think the golden rule in hole placement and fairway design is "thou shall not put parked cars in harms way."
Other Thoughts: I really think this course should not be played until it is rearranged. I know on a calm day I would be fine, but most recreation players would be in danger. Plus it is not fun for anybody when you have to worry about hitting valuable things during the game