Layout Extinct

Village Center DGC - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: luv2throw Hole #1
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

1 2 Next >
 I thought it said 9 holes...

1    5/7/2009   5/12/2009
Review By: syruphussy
Pros: I was able to find four baskets.
One water feature (that could as well be a con too)
Cons: Impossible to find the baskets.
No course map/tee markers.
Mostly open and flat, and you better pray you don't accidentally throw onto the baseball field during little league or an angry father might tear you a new one.
Other Thoughts: Will never play this course again, if you could even consider what I was able to do playing.

D Grade = Dud

1    3/18/2009   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- D
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- D
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- D
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- D+

do not stop

1    8/24/2008   10/24/2008
Review By: duain
Pros: the baskets
Cons: no signs, no teepads, no flow, have to search for the half the baskets that are in the police departments empty lot. a few blocks and under an overpass away. lots of biting flies
Other Thoughts: will never go here again. the only thing this place has going is the nice baskets.

close but no cigar

1    10/2/2008   10/20/2008
Review By: tntbuffallo
Pros: LIke the other said before, not much of a coarse. I live very close and I hoped for the best.The only reason too go back to this coarse is to practice my putting.
Cons: It's like a maze, no real design to the coarse. Good luck in finding all 9 holes in three differant parks. One might have to drive (car) to get to the last 4 holes.
Other Thoughts: I gave this coarse .5 just for the baskets.
I would rather go to my local forest preserve and use trees as my holes.

Avoid!

1    8/7/2008   9/30/2008
Review By: krc1130
Pros: Very few pros here, if any. Nice course to practice some shots.
Cons: Oh goodness, where to begin. First off, I had a heck of a time finding the first tee. I had to guesstimate and shoot from where I thought it would be. It took me a little while to figure that the holes are marked with almost unnoticeable markers in the ground. That alone makes me want to avoid it. It also doesn't help that the course is wedged in the middle of a busy park, surrounded by homes, a playground, a busy road, and a parking lot for a baseball field. You definitely run the risk of breaking a car/home window or hitting someone. Bad flow, lots of backtracking, poor hole layout...the course itself provides very little. There is no challenge with these shots, as it looks like someone just randomly placed a bunch of baskets in the middle of a busy park. It looks like no time was spent designing this course.
Other Thoughts: There's not much else to add, really...this course has almost no redeeming quality, as it is just not a pleasant place to play a round of disc golf. Too many dangers with your shots, and that certainly isn't worth it to play a poor course like this.

Never again

5/13/2008   5/14/2008
Review By: agentdave
Pros: Close. Maybe good for putting practice at one of the holes if bored
Cons: Where to start. Well, I get to the course, park the car and get out, and I am swarmed with little bugs. EVERYWHERE. Holes 1-4 play close to one another to the point where you may be sharing fairways with people on other holes. Hole one plays perpendicular to and towards Rt.31, Don't over shoot this hole!!! The basket for hole 2 is about 15 feet from the parking lot for a baseball field. Really, there were 5 cars right next to each other, with the first being no more then 15 feet from the hole. Mind you the basket is also directly across a creek you must throw over. It was a little windy today, although I was behind a hedge. Being about 25 feet from the hole, I threw perpendicular to the cars, which were to the left. I threw 5 feet to the right of the hole intending to lay up short and to the right. No power. Well, the disc crossed the creek, which was acting like a big wind tunnel and turned it left, then the straight driveway to the parking area is right at the hole, so now with my disc lifted and rolling left, it hit the next wind tunnel from the driveway and went 90 degree's left and doubled it's speed. Well, the owner of the car was right there, and I only scuffed it and I gave him my info. Needless to say most people would not expect the creek to create a wind tunnel and roll a disc so hard. More cars will get hit. The wind in the open field was about 15-20 mph, when I crossed the bridge over the creek I about fell over. Next, hole 4 plays with the parking lot for the park a little to the left. Release a little early, or throw to high with-out much power and you will hit a car. What do most new people do, throw to high with little power. Right back hand to high, and that disc will go 40+ feet to the right about 100-150 ft out. That will put you right into the middle of the parking lot.
I could not find the tee for hole 5. By the way, the course has no signs or maps, the tees are grass, and they are marked with 4"x4" flat number markers, with the numbers facing the sky. They stick about 3/4 inch above the dirt....the grass is usually 2 or more inches, so unless you are looking down on the marker, you will not see it. I threw from my own tee for #5. At the hole there is a sign the reads "you have just completed hole #5...bla bla bla... please go through the park past the building under the bridge to holes 6-9" Well, after I realized they did not mean a build that is under a bridge I got a good laugh at myself. Seeing the building was large, and not relatively close, and then there is a bridge with four lanes over the river, then hole 6 beyond that somewhere, I gave up. I did not feel like walking a 1/4 mile to the next hole. Maybe I was to upset about hitting that car, and the woman that was cursing because she had a baseball game to watch and didn't want to "worry about some stupid frisbee game." At least the guy that owned the truck I hit was nice and understanding. (By the way, his truck was the 5th vehicle over, my disc cleared the other four, including to full size SUV's. That is how much the wind took it.) Anyway, maybe being new they just have not finished yet with signs and stuff. I would like to know the person that placed the holes and what they were thinking. I know there is not much room to work with there, but I think the golden rule in hole placement and fairway design is "thou shall not put parked cars in harms way."
Other Thoughts: I really think this course should not be played until it is rearranged. I know on a calm day I would be fine, but most recreation players would be in danger. Plus it is not fun for anybody when you have to worry about hitting valuable things during the game

The people have voted, you can see it in the tees.

5+    8/15/2007   1/23/2008
Review By: Three Putt
This review was updated on 5/28/2010
Pros: Village Center Disc Golf Course is actually located in three separate parks. Two are next to one another (Community Park & SEBA Park); the third is several blocks to the north (Panton Mill Park.) Holes 1-4 and the tee for 5 are in Community Park, the basket for 5 is in SEBA Park, and holes 6-9 are quite a distance away in Panton Mill Park. They came up with a nice solution to the problem of not enough land to find room for nine holes. Some of the holes have some decent distance. Not Pro-challenging distance, but you can pull out a driver a few times. The course has poles marking the tees with flags noting the hole #, and the baskets have flags on top to help you locate them..
Cons: Holes 6-9 are poorly designed. The basket for 9 is actually in the fairway for 6. If you had people on all four of these holes at one time, somebody would have to yell "Fore!" None of the tees are marked all that well, but I had a particularly frustrating time finding the tee for # 8. It is unnecessarily close to the pin for # 7 given all the room they had to put it in. ***UPDATE - There is a parking lot where hole # 9 used to be. Hole # 6 has been moved so that the basket is so close to the tee for # 7 that it might be in the 10M circle. Hole #9 is now a wide open, very short hole with a tee that is much too close to the basket for # 8. As bad as these back four holes were originally, they are actually worse now. On the plus side, the tees are marked better now and # 6 and # 9 are now nowhere near each other. ***

Holes 1-5 are better, but there is really nothing special about them. The fairway for # 1 runs parallel to some back yards pretty closely on the right, so that's not a good hole to practice your hyzerflip drives on. The basket for hole # 2 is across the creek from the tee very near an area where cars park for the trolley museum and baseball fields, and that could cause a problem when those areas are open. The basket for # 5 is in the same general area as a playground, and more than once I've had to ask kids to stop hitting the chains with sticks and move out of the way to play that hole.

IMO the two areas are farther than walking distance, so I would recommend driving over to the back four holes.

The tees are marked with a simple pole with a flag showing the hole number. No distances are noted. There are blocks on either side of the pole so I guess you can tee from either side of the pole. Perhaps the most telling thing about this course is the fact that almost three years after it opened there are no wear patterns at the tees. It evidently has not gotten enough play over that time to even wear out the grass on the tees.

Other Thoughts: Because there really isn't a sign anywhere giving the name of this course and it is located in more than one park, you will hear it called by several different names. Most commonly it is just called "South Elgin Disc Golf Course" but it is also commonly called "SEBA Park," probably because SEBA Park is the middle of the three parks in use.

The general feeling about this course can be summed up when you stand on a tee and look down...that grass growing happily under your feet proves that few disc golfers have stood there before you. It's not the worst disc golf course I've seen, but if you skip it you really are not missing much.

1 2 Next >