Minneapolis (Crystal), MN
Bassett Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #13 (Taken 7/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Just make it to hole 6

1    9/24/2015   10/16/2015
Review By: LeftyHukin
Pros: I am going to have to review this course a little different then the past courses I have reviewed. My first time here was such a mixed experience I wanted to get out here one more time before giving a review. It is just so rare for me to get out that way and I want to write the review before I forgot all the details of the course.

To start, I will try to put avoid letting all my negative thoughts pour over to this section. I have played at many courses that are very technical and very much enjoy them, however this was the first course I have played where I felt I can just grip and rip. The 2nd half of the course is very wide open with a lot of elevation changes. Throwing up a 75-100ft hill then throwing straight down, throwing back up it and then walking even higher to throw it all the way back down again! Nothing like standing on top of the tee pad and making the disc look small as you throw down hill and just enjoy watching the line.

The individual holes were very enjoyable and there were some very memorable ones as well. Holes that are almost just worth the trip to play! I can't remember the exact hole, but once you get to the top of the hill you have to walk into the woods and up a path to a hidden tee pad and throw out over the hill and all the way down to the bottom. This was an amazing hole to just watch the flight of the disc. Only downfall at the moment is a large temporary dirt mound that makes it a blind shot down the hill. You also get concrete pads for the most part as only a couple were dirt, which might just be a result of the top hill being under construction.

For those who enjoy technical holes, the first 7 I believe are a bit shorter and have more trees to navigate, making a lot of interesting lines and shots. Maybe a roller? or a thumber? There are more creative lines open during this section of the course. As for those that just want to throw discs as far as they can, that is whom the 2nd half of the course is geared to. Most of the final 8 holes are very open and long. I remember 2 shorter holes, one throwing straight up the hill and the last which is an easy putter toss back down. But you have a few that will test the arms of any intermediate player. Pros will still be throwing mids to fairway drivers, but the rest of us can dust off those drivers and let it loose with little chance of losing a disc since it is so open.

It appears that the top of the hill that most of the last 7 holes interact with is getting a much needed face lift, but when I was there a tee pad was completely covered with a 15ft high mound of dirt (only the post marking the tee was barely poking out from the bottom). It also hurts the view of another hole you tee off from the woods just above the hill, as you have to throw over a large dirt mount blindly to the basket at the bottom of the hill. I enjoyed the hole and see what it could be without the eye sore, but I might be biased since I was able to toss my drive within 15 feet of the basket for a crazy 2.
Cons: Now for the bad..... the navigation for the course is just awful. Plain and simple awful. You exit your car in the parking lot right next to a basket, which it #1, so you have to walk along #1's fairway to get to the tee box FORE! Then throw back the way you came. Once you putt out you see the tee box 35ft away, oh so simple! Then you realize it is actually #5's tee box, wtf? I hear it is because it used to be a 12 hole course and 3 wooded holes were added, however there is not 1 sign that tells you this or points you to the woods. In fact we had skipped these holes and didn't realize there were holes in the woods until we walked back to our car after #15 and saw a basket through the trees. Well once you get through the wooded holes and back to #5 it gets a little easier you would think. Well once finishing putting out you have to walk around the lake, about 1 city block or more to # 6's tee. Again there is no sign at all to direct you. So after having to talk to walkers passing by who said they thought they saw baskets on the other side of the lake, we finally ran into #6. At least from here it became easy to navigate as all the remaining holes are easy to find. There is a small wooden post with both new and old numbers on them, so it gets very confusing which hole you are on.

This is why I wanted to go back after now knowing what to expect. I was so frustrated at the lack of directions that I didn't get into the flow until around hole # 8. I was too worried that I wouldn't find the next tee pad. I want to see if we just missed every sign or if was just as bad as I had experienced. If there were signs and we were just blind to them, then shame on us. But if that is the case, they may not be as visible or clear as designers thought.
Other Thoughts: This course needs signs badly. It was tough to navigate and even locals didn't know where 2-4 where. But once you get to #6 it becomes easy and frustration levels decrease. Each hole individually is designed great, using the elevation to create memorable holes and shots. Baskets and tee pads were in good shape, but sign posts need to be reworked so that only one hole number is showing, not the old and new.

This course has potential to be an easy 4. It has technical holes, it has grip and rip holes, it has elevation, both up and down. It has an amazing view of the lake that the course wraps around. But it looses a lot from being difficult to navigate and not flowing well at all. I will make it back out there next year and see if there have been any major changes and update this rant. I hope I was just there in the middle of the rework that will be a gem once finished.

1    5/29/2015   5/29/2015
Review By: JTRACY
Pros: This is a beautiful course if you appreciate nature go there in the fall. The entire course wraps around a small pond with a stream that I believe connects to medicine lake. This is my main free course when I wanted to get my drives to go further and with more control I stopped going to Plymouth Creek and started coming here.
Cons: There are tons TONS of geese on this course and they fertilize all of the grass everyday. The overlapping is kind of an issue around hole 7-11 very close fairways.
Other Thoughts: The course had a sign about expanding and changing to concrete pads so improvements are coming.

Surprisingly Fun!!

1    7/10/2013   7/11/2013
Review By: moni
Pros: - Long holes
- Unique challenges
- Scenery
- Fun crowds playing on the course
- Free
Overall, I was worried this 12-hole course might have been your standard lets-squeeze-a-course-in-a-tiny-park sort of thing but I was blown away with how many unique holes they included, how the course was set up and how much fun I had. It took the time that 18 holes takes because it's such a large course. Though not very well labeled if a hole was 3 or 4 par I'm sure several of the holes counted as 4 (10 especially). It was my first time at this course and you can bet they have a new regular
Cons: - Pins are old, need to put straight in or that sucker will be bouncing out
- Hard to find the next tee as it's so spread out, but there were lots of helpful folk ready to point you in the right direction
- Parking and finding the first hole was a small nightmare but the walk around the park with my dog was no lost cause and once I was done I was excited to park far away again just for the enjoyable walk
- A little crowded in one or two spots but was worth it as other discers were happy to chat and help find a disc if you lost one
- hole 9 (I think it was that one) had a very obnoxious start point that wasn't labeled tucked in the woods, lucky again there were helpful people to point us the right way
Other Thoughts: Overall, I'm very happy with this course but other reviews that it has even more potential are absolutely correct. But that would just be icing on this cake, as it was a blast.

pretty good course

5+    6/12/2013   6/12/2013
Review By: Dr.feelgood
Pros: Some challenging shots
Good range of difficulty
2 par 4s
Lot of uphill and downhill drives.
Cons: It might be difficult to navigate at first
You could lose a disc on hole 10 if it rolls
No real maximum distance drive opportunities
Other Thoughts: The tees are OK but can get king of slick in the rain or snow.

enjoyable, but bring a map

1    5/18/2013   5/18/2013
Review By: rhettro
Pros: - Good mix of trees and open fairways.
- I always enjoy water hazards
- good length variables from hole to hole.
- Tees are asphalt, not the best, but better then dirt.
Cons: - Very hard to navigate.
- Spent most of the time trying to find the next hole.
- Baskets have no paint, hard to see on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course, it could be easier to navigate and the tee signs (posts with numbers) leave a bit to be desired, but all in all they did a great job with the space that they had. They wasted almost no room, and the course does not feel congested at all. I will play it again.

Great quick course

5+    2/26/2013   3/1/2013
Review By: new_sheets
Pros: Excellent variety of holes. #1,3,4, and 10 are short and technical with clusters of trees and bushes. #2 and 11 are 500ft+ with a ton of trees and well protected greens. #5,6,7,8, and 9 are fairly open with a couple bombs and great elevation changes. #9 is really nice from an elevated tee in the woods around a giant dirt pile (I think the dirt piles add character..). #12 is a 200ft downhill ace run. It's a great course for beginners as its pretty difficult to lose track of a disc here, but still technical enough for advanced players to have some fun.
Cons: Hard to navigate the first couple of times. I don't mind but the walk to # 3 and 5 is kind of far and not well marked. A little short but a good warmup course. Tees could use some love.
Other Thoughts: Would like to see an increase to 18 holes. I think it would be a must play course if the additional holes were well designed. The 18 layout they use for tourneys is questionable but better than just 12. This is my home course and I think its better than any of the free smaller courses in the NW metro (Plymouth cr, sunny side, starring, rosland) for its variety and length.

Great Course

5+    10/10/2012   2/10/2013
Review By: WinstonAbernathy
Pros: I love this course. It has nice variety. I love that it has lots of good obstacles and elevation changes without being overly cluttered with trees and brush like some courses.
Cons: I wish that they would make it into an 18 hole course. There is an area on top of the hill by the tees for 7,9, and 12 that for years is just big piles of dirt that seem to get moved around from time to time with no real rhyme or reason.
Other Thoughts: The city of Crystal needs to get it's act together in regards to this course. It has the potential to be a great course but despite how popular it is they are doing nothing to improve it.

Could Be Worse

5+    6/19/2012   12/19/2012
Review By: ajkuck
This review was updated on 12/20/2012
Pros: For a 12 hole course, it actually offers a variety of shots. There are some technical shots required at the beginning to avoid some trees and a couple holes with some nice elevation change, which offers a great change of pace. For the most part, the tee parts are in good shape.
Cons: The course is often quite busy, since it is located at a park with a walking path and nestled within a residential area. It is also somewhat difficult to navigate if you have not played it before, especially the backwardness of hole 1.
Other Thoughts: Overall, it's a decent course if you are trying to get in a quick round. I often only get out there occasionally for league a couple times every summer or play it quick on my way home from work to get a warm-up round in before I go play at Bryant.

Nice mix for all-level players

2-4    10/12/2012   10/14/2012
Review By: DonB
Pros: Nice mix of lengths
Nice mix of elevations
Nice mix of hole lengths

Baskets are all in very good condition

Asphalt tee pads are (mostly) maintained well. Exception would be hole #12, where large pile of dirt covers 50% of tee box.

Playable by beginners and more seasoned players (I can play alongside my Dad, who is an extreme beginner, and still enjoy the entire course together)

The holes that play up & down hill (holes 6, 7, 9, 12) are fun challenges for distance AND accuracy.

Grounds are maintained well, with the exception being the large mounds of dirt on top of hill.

Nice mix of shorter, technical holes, as well as long, tree-filled, and long open holes.
Cons: The path from hole to hole isn't clearly defined, but easy to follow once you know it

Garbages were not emptied over the 3 day span we played it.
Other Thoughts: The first time we played this, we were cut short by the league that started halfway through our round. Yet the next time we had the place almost completely to ourselves.

For a smaller, free course, this is one of my favorites, due to the highly variant lengths, elevation and foliage.

1    7/23/2012   9/1/2012
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Course is set in a smaller city park in a residential neighborhood. There is a walking path by a few holes, otherwise there shouldn't be much interference with the disc golf.
- A few of the holes are set within clusters of trees, which forces line shaping off the tee. #1 long is around a wall of trees, while the short is a RHFH hyzer. #2 long is a wooded dogleg right, and the short is a straight tight shot. #3 and #4 are a little more open, with hyzer or straight routes, and a RHBH anny on #4. #11 also has lots of bigger trees, both from the long tees directly before the green. Accuracy is well rewarded on these holes.
- Other holes are much more open, but have significant elevation changes to make things interesting. #6 is a pretty steep uphill shot, #7 is a good downhill shot, #8 is longer with the basket up on the hillside, #12 is a steep downhill shot, and #9 is the big boy with a very elevated teepad shooting out of the woods.
- Some longer hole lengths here add some real challenge, #2 and #11 are both over 500' and have tough lines to the basket. A good mix of hole lengths overall, especially with a few different pads on a few holes.
- A few tricky basket placements, like #8 with a very sloped green, and #11 with a very well protected green.
- Asphalt teepads are OK, posts with the hole number is good enough in most cases. Nice baskets. Navigation can be a real problem; you have to walk past #2's tee to get to #1's from the street parking, there is a very long walk to get to hole #3; make sure you have or have studied the map.
Cons: - Layout here is pretty jacked up. You have to either walk through or way around #1 to get to the teepad, there is a very long walk to get to #3, the holes by the hill are all kind of close to each other, and the elevated teepad on #9 means errant shots can be sprayed over many holes' fairways. #11 has a residential street directly left of the fairway, which is a bit of a distraction.
Other Thoughts: - A pretty well-rounded course that has a good mix of semi-wooded holes, some holes with large trees to avoid like #5 and #10, and some those with good elevation changes. #9 is a lot of fun, with the big downhill shot out of the woods, and #11 is a tough 670' with plenty of trees to make things tough. Probably best suited to beginners from the short tees, and intermediate players from the long tees. Advanced players might find some fun holes, but overall won't be challenged too much.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5