Minneapolis (Crystal), MN
Bassett Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #1 (Taken 7/2012)
Hole #1 Short Tee

pretty good course

5+    6/12/2013   6/12/2013
Review By: Dr.feelgood
Pros: Some challenging shots
Good range of difficulty
2 par 4s
Lot of uphill and downhill drives.
Cons: It might be difficult to navigate at first
You could lose a disc on hole 10 if it rolls
No real maximum distance drive opportunities
Other Thoughts: The tees are OK but can get king of slick in the rain or snow.

enjoyable, but bring a map

1    5/18/2013   5/18/2013
Review By: rhettro
Pros: - Good mix of trees and open fairways.
- I always enjoy water hazards
- good length variables from hole to hole.
- Tees are asphalt, not the best, but better then dirt.
Cons: - Very hard to navigate.
- Spent most of the time trying to find the next hole.
- Baskets have no paint, hard to see on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course, it could be easier to navigate and the tee signs (posts with numbers) leave a bit to be desired, but all in all they did a great job with the space that they had. They wasted almost no room, and the course does not feel congested at all. I will play it again.

The Hill

2-4    8/15/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: buzzkid
This review was updated on 3/11/2013
Pros: This course has a lot to offer, good elevation change, shot placement on a couple of the holes is absolutely critical to do well. It also has you shooting onto and off of a big hill a few times and it gives you a chance to loosen up your arm for some big drives on your way to Bryant Lake.
Cons: A little too open for my liking and which pin you are shooting too can be confusing at times. If you have never played this course, make sure you play with someone who has so you don't shoot to the wrong hole.
Other Thoughts: All in all, this is a nice course. Maybe adding in some trees and putting up signs that show you which pin to shoot at would be helpful.

Good

2-4    4/15/2012   7/17/2012
Review By: itzbrian17
Pros: -lots of open shots
-concrete tees and good baskets
-nice scenery with the lake
-throwing over a pile of dirt on hole 9
-a legit par 4 hole
Cons: -baskets everywhere! It's hard to tell where you are throwing to because the tee is pointing towards one basket when you're suppose to go to another
-crossing paths with other discgolfers on a few holes
-opportunity for people to steal discs on hole 9 because you don't know where you're disc landed and you can't see over the pile of dirt
Other Thoughts: I like this course but the lack of signage and the course layout makes me give this only a 3

Fun and fast

5+    9/9/2011   9/24/2011
Review By: megamerican
Pros: Bassett Creek Park is a fun, relatively easy 12 hole course located just off highway 100 in the West Metro which can provide a fun, quick round.

*Good asphalt tees on every hole, quite a few have alternate tees which allow beginners to enjoy some of the longer, tougher holes

*Hole 2 and Hole 11 are the best holes on the course, both are not just longer but have quite a bit of risk/reward built into them from the back tees. Hole 2 is a great place to try a RHBH roller and hope it goes through the trees. Hole 11 is very long which gives you multiple routes to attack the two large trees roughly 275 feet ahead of you.

*Hole 9's tee is into the woods on top of the hill which is a fun throw from, especially when the asphalt tee is nice and dry.

*There are multiple leagues and tournaments played here during the year which have many temporary holes which make good use of the lake and other real estate the park has to offer.

*The large hill is well used and creates a good variety of uphill and downhill shots, ending with a nice ace run at hole 12.

*Gotta Go Gotta Throw is a great disc golf shop and close by.
Cons: Not too many cons to speak of. It is just a little lackluster without the temporary holes for the various tournaments and leagues which play there. There was talk of some of those holes becoming permanent but I have no idea what the issues are which may hinder that becoming true.
Other Thoughts: This is a solid course to play if you are nearby. I'd definitely recommend playing during one of the leagues or tournaments as a lot of value is added to the course and my rating would go from a 3.0 to a 4.0 if those holes were made permanent.

Wish it was Better.

5+    8/8/2011   9/12/2011
Review By: Badgerman
This review was updated on 9/12/2012
Pros: 1) No repetitive holes, every fairway is different

2) Hole 9 is a great downhill long bomb through a little gap.

3) Has something for everyone (wide open, tree shots, uphill, downhill)

4) No Water Hazards!
Cons: 1) Most of the course just doesn't flow very well. 1 and 2 are a ways from 3 and 4 which are a ways from the rest of the course. The first time i ever played this course our party couldn't even find hole 3.

2) Goose poop everywhere, and they're mean too.
Other Thoughts: Every time i walk back to my car from 12 i wonder why they didn't just add a few more baskets through the woods. I like the occasional wide open shot, but i really like the finesse holes and this course just doesn't deliver the goods. In my opinion it would be better as 9 or 18 holes, 12 just feels wrong for the amount of space available

A LITTLE ODD

2-4    7/29/2011   8/6/2011
Review By: Vetiver1978
Pros: a good mix of holes ie: long, short, wooded, elevation
great if you like geese
nice little ace opportunity hole that was fun
Cons: was confused early on hole layout. need to walk past hole 2 t box to throw hole 1. hole 1 plays back towards where you just came from. starting at hole 2 seems more natural to me but whatever
goose crap everywhere!
long walk to other side of nasty pond
some fairways play really close to each other
Other Thoughts: overall its worth playing if you're in the area but I wouldnt go out of my way for it. is close to gottagogottathrow if you want to try out some new discs

Fun and Difficult

5+    7/28/2011   7/28/2011
Review By: aajpity
Pros: The course starts out with four lightly wooded holes which offer fun and a bit of thinking. The later holes are all (for the most part) very open but the wind can take them if thrown to high of the hill. Here are the things I loved from the course.

*12 well thought of holes.
*Cut grass.
*Good area.
*Hard to lose a disc.
*Friendly people.
Cons: *Animal Poop
*Dead goose (today there was one)
*Many trees
*Confusing to find way around
Other Thoughts: If the signs were more clear and it was easier to navigate this course would have a much higher rating. If you are looking for a fun course to play then look no further.

Signs

1    7/16/2010   7/16/2010
Review By: Markymark
Pros: Overall, I liked the course. There are a few holes with trees that make it challenging, but most holes are pretty open and beginner friendly. There isn't much overlap with other fairways, so shanks don't send people ducking for cover.
Cons: HOLY COW! This place needs a map or signs or something. I read some of the reviews, so I had a bit of a heads up about the distance from hole 2 to 3, but I missed if anyone said the tee box for hole one was difficult to find. It was for me. I found the basket and worked my way back, but the starting point didn't seem to make sense since hole 2 was actually closer to the parking. Minor issue with that, but had a little trouble finding which basket for which hole. My eyesight isn't great, so finding the basket for 5 on the other side of a nearly dry creek bed wasn't easy. I ended up throwing at basket 8 until I got close enough to see I was heading in the wrong direction. Found the basket for 5 and actually had a good shot at it, so was glad my crappy shot to hole 8 was erased. What can I say about hole 12? There is a brand new basket there, but man did I take a walk looking for it. There are huge piles of dirt at the top of the hill, hiding the tee box to 12. A lady I met in the park said it would be hard to find and mentioned a rock, so I found the rock then mis-understood her "woods" reference and headed in. Wrong, it's to the right of the rock, stay out of the woods.
Other Thoughts: I had fun here, but for a first timer, it can be a bit confusing. I went on a work day and had the place basically to myself, so scouting the holes made it a bit easier. I think I'll look at getting my glasses upgraded a tick.

My First Time

5+    5/1/2010   5/16/2010
Review By: Spiky
This review was updated on 5/17/2013
Pros: Holes 2, 6, 7, 9.
This is a quite long course. Good for just rearing back and throwing as hard as you can on 3 or more holes.
It is often used for tournaments. Sometimes you can time it right the day before/after a tournament and play about 14 holes instead of just the 12 permanent ones. (or you could actually sign up and play) And usually the tournament puts one hole that actually flies across the north end of the pond, adding something almost like a challenge.
Many have said it, but 9 is definitely the most interesting hole, playing best to lefties or side/forehand throwers. The willow tree on the right WILL stop your disc cold. UPDATE: The willow tree has been decimated by the park in 2011. You hardly notice it, anymore.
Cons: Frankly, I'm a little bored with it since it doesn't have many trees or other hazards to slow you down. I play here frequently because my main 2 friends both love it, and for the holes I mentioned above.

Hole 9 goes across an old, lost parking lot. This is now a dumping ground by the city for dirt and mulch. 2011 was horrible, they kept piling more and more dirt here, trashing the view and making the tee-off annoying. Played the other day and it was improved, but I have a feeling summer 2012 will simply see more dumping of dirt. Sometimes we even skip this hole, and it was our favorite!
Other Thoughts: I'm not sure about the 1993 build date listed, this was the first course I ever played (with a 165g freestyle Frisbee, no less), before I graduated high school. It must have been 1987 or 88. Back then it was somewhat different than now, including a hole 12 pin that was an actual pin, a wooden post you had to hit rather than any sort of basket. It has had major revisions twice since then.

Shot a 3 on hole 11 last week. It may be time to retire, what possible achievement could surpass this?

Thought I'd add this for anyone interested in wildlife. An osprey took up residence at this park a couple years back. If you have any interest in watching an eagle dive and catch fish, this park has been pretty cool recently. We often stop playing just to watch.