Minneapolis (Crystal), MN
Bassett Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #10 (Taken 7/2012)

Just make it to hole 6

1    9/24/2015   10/16/2015
Review By: LeftyHukin
Pros: I am going to have to review this course a little different then the past courses I have reviewed. My first time here was such a mixed experience I wanted to get out here one more time before giving a review. It is just so rare for me to get out that way and I want to write the review before I forgot all the details of the course.

To start, I will try to put avoid letting all my negative thoughts pour over to this section. I have played at many courses that are very technical and very much enjoy them, however this was the first course I have played where I felt I can just grip and rip. The 2nd half of the course is very wide open with a lot of elevation changes. Throwing up a 75-100ft hill then throwing straight down, throwing back up it and then walking even higher to throw it all the way back down again! Nothing like standing on top of the tee pad and making the disc look small as you throw down hill and just enjoy watching the line.

The individual holes were very enjoyable and there were some very memorable ones as well. Holes that are almost just worth the trip to play! I can't remember the exact hole, but once you get to the top of the hill you have to walk into the woods and up a path to a hidden tee pad and throw out over the hill and all the way down to the bottom. This was an amazing hole to just watch the flight of the disc. Only downfall at the moment is a large temporary dirt mound that makes it a blind shot down the hill. You also get concrete pads for the most part as only a couple were dirt, which might just be a result of the top hill being under construction.

For those who enjoy technical holes, the first 7 I believe are a bit shorter and have more trees to navigate, making a lot of interesting lines and shots. Maybe a roller? or a thumber? There are more creative lines open during this section of the course. As for those that just want to throw discs as far as they can, that is whom the 2nd half of the course is geared to. Most of the final 8 holes are very open and long. I remember 2 shorter holes, one throwing straight up the hill and the last which is an easy putter toss back down. But you have a few that will test the arms of any intermediate player. Pros will still be throwing mids to fairway drivers, but the rest of us can dust off those drivers and let it loose with little chance of losing a disc since it is so open.

It appears that the top of the hill that most of the last 7 holes interact with is getting a much needed face lift, but when I was there a tee pad was completely covered with a 15ft high mound of dirt (only the post marking the tee was barely poking out from the bottom). It also hurts the view of another hole you tee off from the woods just above the hill, as you have to throw over a large dirt mount blindly to the basket at the bottom of the hill. I enjoyed the hole and see what it could be without the eye sore, but I might be biased since I was able to toss my drive within 15 feet of the basket for a crazy 2.
Cons: Now for the bad..... the navigation for the course is just awful. Plain and simple awful. You exit your car in the parking lot right next to a basket, which it #1, so you have to walk along #1's fairway to get to the tee box FORE! Then throw back the way you came. Once you putt out you see the tee box 35ft away, oh so simple! Then you realize it is actually #5's tee box, wtf? I hear it is because it used to be a 12 hole course and 3 wooded holes were added, however there is not 1 sign that tells you this or points you to the woods. In fact we had skipped these holes and didn't realize there were holes in the woods until we walked back to our car after #15 and saw a basket through the trees. Well once you get through the wooded holes and back to #5 it gets a little easier you would think. Well once finishing putting out you have to walk around the lake, about 1 city block or more to # 6's tee. Again there is no sign at all to direct you. So after having to talk to walkers passing by who said they thought they saw baskets on the other side of the lake, we finally ran into #6. At least from here it became easy to navigate as all the remaining holes are easy to find. There is a small wooden post with both new and old numbers on them, so it gets very confusing which hole you are on.

This is why I wanted to go back after now knowing what to expect. I was so frustrated at the lack of directions that I didn't get into the flow until around hole # 8. I was too worried that I wouldn't find the next tee pad. I want to see if we just missed every sign or if was just as bad as I had experienced. If there were signs and we were just blind to them, then shame on us. But if that is the case, they may not be as visible or clear as designers thought.
Other Thoughts: This course needs signs badly. It was tough to navigate and even locals didn't know where 2-4 where. But once you get to #6 it becomes easy and frustration levels decrease. Each hole individually is designed great, using the elevation to create memorable holes and shots. Baskets and tee pads were in good shape, but sign posts need to be reworked so that only one hole number is showing, not the old and new.

This course has potential to be an easy 4. It has technical holes, it has grip and rip holes, it has elevation, both up and down. It has an amazing view of the lake that the course wraps around. But it looses a lot from being difficult to navigate and not flowing well at all. I will make it back out there next year and see if there have been any major changes and update this rant. I hope I was just there in the middle of the rework that will be a gem once finished.

1    5/29/2015   5/29/2015
Review By: JTRACY
Pros: This is a beautiful course if you appreciate nature go there in the fall. The entire course wraps around a small pond with a stream that I believe connects to medicine lake. This is my main free course when I wanted to get my drives to go further and with more control I stopped going to Plymouth Creek and started coming here.
Cons: There are tons TONS of geese on this course and they fertilize all of the grass everyday. The overlapping is kind of an issue around hole 7-11 very close fairways.
Other Thoughts: The course had a sign about expanding and changing to concrete pads so improvements are coming.

pretty good course

5+    6/12/2013   6/12/2013
Review By: Dr.feelgood
Pros: Some challenging shots
Good range of difficulty
2 par 4s
Lot of uphill and downhill drives.
Cons: It might be difficult to navigate at first
You could lose a disc on hole 10 if it rolls
No real maximum distance drive opportunities
Other Thoughts: The tees are OK but can get king of slick in the rain or snow.

enjoyable, but bring a map

1    5/18/2013   5/18/2013
Review By: rhettro
Pros: - Good mix of trees and open fairways.
- I always enjoy water hazards
- good length variables from hole to hole.
- Tees are asphalt, not the best, but better then dirt.
Cons: - Very hard to navigate.
- Spent most of the time trying to find the next hole.
- Baskets have no paint, hard to see on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course, it could be easier to navigate and the tee signs (posts with numbers) leave a bit to be desired, but all in all they did a great job with the space that they had. They wasted almost no room, and the course does not feel congested at all. I will play it again.

The Hill

2-4    8/15/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: buzzkid
This review was updated on 3/11/2013
Pros: This course has a lot to offer, good elevation change, shot placement on a couple of the holes is absolutely critical to do well. It also has you shooting onto and off of a big hill a few times and it gives you a chance to loosen up your arm for some big drives on your way to Bryant Lake.
Cons: A little too open for my liking and which pin you are shooting too can be confusing at times. If you have never played this course, make sure you play with someone who has so you don't shoot to the wrong hole.
Other Thoughts: All in all, this is a nice course. Maybe adding in some trees and putting up signs that show you which pin to shoot at would be helpful.

2-4    4/15/2012   7/17/2012
Review By: itzbrian17
Pros: -lots of open shots
-concrete tees and good baskets
-nice scenery with the lake
-throwing over a pile of dirt on hole 9
-a legit par 4 hole
Cons: -baskets everywhere! It's hard to tell where you are throwing to because the tee is pointing towards one basket when you're suppose to go to another
-crossing paths with other discgolfers on a few holes
-opportunity for people to steal discs on hole 9 because you don't know where you're disc landed and you can't see over the pile of dirt
Other Thoughts: I like this course but the lack of signage and the course layout makes me give this only a 3

Fun and fast

5+    9/9/2011   9/24/2011
Review By: megamerican
Pros: Bassett Creek Park is a fun, relatively easy 12 hole course located just off highway 100 in the West Metro which can provide a fun, quick round.

*Good asphalt tees on every hole, quite a few have alternate tees which allow beginners to enjoy some of the longer, tougher holes

*Hole 2 and Hole 11 are the best holes on the course, both are not just longer but have quite a bit of risk/reward built into them from the back tees. Hole 2 is a great place to try a RHBH roller and hope it goes through the trees. Hole 11 is very long which gives you multiple routes to attack the two large trees roughly 275 feet ahead of you.

*Hole 9's tee is into the woods on top of the hill which is a fun throw from, especially when the asphalt tee is nice and dry.

*There are multiple leagues and tournaments played here during the year which have many temporary holes which make good use of the lake and other real estate the park has to offer.

*The large hill is well used and creates a good variety of uphill and downhill shots, ending with a nice ace run at hole 12.

*Gotta Go Gotta Throw is a great disc golf shop and close by.
Cons: Not too many cons to speak of. It is just a little lackluster without the temporary holes for the various tournaments and leagues which play there. There was talk of some of those holes becoming permanent but I have no idea what the issues are which may hinder that becoming true.
Other Thoughts: This is a solid course to play if you are nearby. I'd definitely recommend playing during one of the leagues or tournaments as a lot of value is added to the course and my rating would go from a 3.0 to a 4.0 if those holes were made permanent.

Wish it was Better.

5+    8/8/2011   9/12/2011
Review By: Badgerman
This review was updated on 9/12/2012
Pros: 1) No repetitive holes, every fairway is different

2) Hole 9 is a great downhill long bomb through a little gap.

3) Has something for everyone (wide open, tree shots, uphill, downhill)

4) No Water Hazards!
Cons: 1) Most of the course just doesn't flow very well. 1 and 2 are a ways from 3 and 4 which are a ways from the rest of the course. The first time i ever played this course our party couldn't even find hole 3.

2) Goose poop everywhere, and they're mean too.
Other Thoughts: Every time i walk back to my car from 12 i wonder why they didn't just add a few more baskets through the woods. I like the occasional wide open shot, but i really like the finesse holes and this course just doesn't deliver the goods. In my opinion it would be better as 9 or 18 holes, 12 just feels wrong for the amount of space available

2-4    7/29/2011   8/6/2011
Review By: Vetiver1978
Pros: a good mix of holes ie: long, short, wooded, elevation
great if you like geese
nice little ace opportunity hole that was fun
Cons: was confused early on hole layout. need to walk past hole 2 t box to throw hole 1. hole 1 plays back towards where you just came from. starting at hole 2 seems more natural to me but whatever
goose crap everywhere!
long walk to other side of nasty pond
some fairways play really close to each other
Other Thoughts: overall its worth playing if you're in the area but I wouldnt go out of my way for it. is close to gottagogottathrow if you want to try out some new discs

Fun and Difficult

5+    7/28/2011   7/28/2011
Review By: aajpity
Pros: The course starts out with four lightly wooded holes which offer fun and a bit of thinking. The later holes are all (for the most part) very open but the wind can take them if thrown to high of the hill. Here are the things I loved from the course.

*12 well thought of holes.
*Cut grass.
*Good area.
*Hard to lose a disc.
*Friendly people.
Cons: *Animal Poop
*Dead goose (today there was one)
*Many trees
*Confusing to find way around
Other Thoughts: If the signs were more clear and it was easier to navigate this course would have a much higher rating. If you are looking for a fun course to play then look no further.