Minneapolis (Crystal), MN
Bassett Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #11 (Taken 7/2012)

A LITTLE ODD

2-4    7/29/2011   8/6/2011
Review By: Vetiver1978
Pros: a good mix of holes ie: long, short, wooded, elevation
great if you like geese
nice little ace opportunity hole that was fun
Cons: was confused early on hole layout. need to walk past hole 2 t box to throw hole 1. hole 1 plays back towards where you just came from. starting at hole 2 seems more natural to me but whatever
goose crap everywhere!
long walk to other side of nasty pond
some fairways play really close to each other
Other Thoughts: overall its worth playing if you're in the area but I wouldnt go out of my way for it. is close to gottagogottathrow if you want to try out some new discs

Not bad.

1    8/5/2011   8/5/2011
Review By: vagabond
Pros: Some long drives.
Asphalt Tees, although mostly in disrepair.
Cons: There was quite a bit of trash. The city of Crystal seems to be using the area around hole 8 as a dumping area for dirt and brush. There are no signs, and its kind of hard to figure this place out on your first time.
Other Thoughts: They did an ok job of squeezing 12 holes in to this park. If you live nearby it definitely works for some good practice.

Fun and Difficult

5+    7/28/2011   7/28/2011
Review By: aajpity
Pros: The course starts out with four lightly wooded holes which offer fun and a bit of thinking. The later holes are all (for the most part) very open but the wind can take them if thrown to high of the hill. Here are the things I loved from the course.

*12 well thought of holes.
*Cut grass.
*Good area.
*Hard to lose a disc.
*Friendly people.
Cons: *Animal Poop
*Dead goose (today there was one)
*Many trees
*Confusing to find way around
Other Thoughts: If the signs were more clear and it was easier to navigate this course would have a much higher rating. If you are looking for a fun course to play then look no further.

A Good Standard

5+    5/18/2011   5/24/2011
Review By: Zambono
Pros: This is a great repeat course. For only having 12 pins, it has a great variety. In my circle, we use bassett creek as a staple for bringing in new discs, since there are many forgiving holes. Also, unlike so many others, you can play backhand or forehand on most holes. Pros include:
- Nice early play around the lake for the casual player
- A good mix of easy, intermediate, and long range
- Hole 12 is great midrange ace practice! (a BUZZZ paradise)
- Cement tees

It is typically not that busy, and we often repeat the corse during the early afternoon.
Cons: I will say it is tough to navigate your first time

- Hole 3 is halfway around the pond from hold 2
- Hole 9 is up to the left in the middle of the woods, past the big rock
- Hole 12 is on the other side of the hill from hole 11

I have been playing there for a few years now, and i do wish they would get rid of the dirt piles on top of the hill.
Other Thoughts: I hope you like alot of GEESE!

It has won my recommendation. I would say Bassett Creek is a great casual course. It is where I bring newer friends or where I try out new techniques. It is not the most competitive course, but that is not its design!

Great course to sneak in after work

5+    11/24/2009   8/24/2010
Review By: smyith
Pros: - Cement Pads
- Descent Tee Signs
- Interesting mix of shots
- Lots of fun long drives from top of the hill
- Park-goers seem to know what's going on
- Leashed dogs allowed (leash them I've gotten in trouble before)
Cons: - Goose poop everywhere!!!!!
- Large very open fairways
- Lack of penalty for errant shots
Other Thoughts: The Twin Cities has some GREAT courses. This one is a perfect after work course. Its located in a nice neighborhood and its a nice park.
With all the courses in the area its hard to rate this one anything special. There is descent variety but it is essentially a straight open course. If your visiting the area I wouldn't go out of my way to play this. Its fun to play though. Last I heard GGGT was trying to get permission to install 6 or more baskets. Theres a under-used woods area that would make some fantastic holes.

Favorite Hole #2 - Probably also the hardest hole on the course. This has a tight, low-ceiling fairway that opens up about 80% of the way down. Along the left is some semi-thick woods and tall grass. Along the right is a row of trees. The basket is on the other side of the trees and about 80' past the end of the row. It is protected along the left by a large tree, blocking the straight line at the basket. Essentially you need to throw a gentle anhyzer or a tight s-curve and dodge the trees. As long as you make it out of the trees and on the right-side its easy to get a par. If not your playing for a bogey or a stellar par.

Signs

1    7/16/2010   7/16/2010
Review By: Markymark
Pros: Overall, I liked the course. There are a few holes with trees that make it challenging, but most holes are pretty open and beginner friendly. There isn't much overlap with other fairways, so shanks don't send people ducking for cover.
Cons: HOLY COW! This place needs a map or signs or something. I read some of the reviews, so I had a bit of a heads up about the distance from hole 2 to 3, but I missed if anyone said the tee box for hole one was difficult to find. It was for me. I found the basket and worked my way back, but the starting point didn't seem to make sense since hole 2 was actually closer to the parking. Minor issue with that, but had a little trouble finding which basket for which hole. My eyesight isn't great, so finding the basket for 5 on the other side of a nearly dry creek bed wasn't easy. I ended up throwing at basket 8 until I got close enough to see I was heading in the wrong direction. Found the basket for 5 and actually had a good shot at it, so was glad my crappy shot to hole 8 was erased. What can I say about hole 12? There is a brand new basket there, but man did I take a walk looking for it. There are huge piles of dirt at the top of the hill, hiding the tee box to 12. A lady I met in the park said it would be hard to find and mentioned a rock, so I found the rock then mis-understood her "woods" reference and headed in. Wrong, it's to the right of the rock, stay out of the woods.
Other Thoughts: I had fun here, but for a first timer, it can be a bit confusing. I went on a work day and had the place basically to myself, so scouting the holes made it a bit easier. I think I'll look at getting my glasses upgraded a tick.

Fun Course

5+    6/4/2010   6/5/2010
Review By: D21thorpe
Pros: Need a good amount of skill as well as a big arm. #2 can be frustrating, I have even seen one in the pond on the right, but there are enough short holes and long holes to change it up.
Cons: I wish it were longer. The couple of holes they put in for turnaments are nice and I don't know why they don't just leave them in all the time.
Other Thoughts: I wish there were signs to let you know distance and par.

My First Time

5+    5/1/2010   5/16/2010
Review By: Spiky
This review was updated on 5/17/2013
Pros: Holes 2, 6, 7, 9.
This is a quite long course. Good for just rearing back and throwing as hard as you can on 3 or more holes.
It is often used for tournaments. Sometimes you can time it right the day before/after a tournament and play about 14 holes instead of just the 12 permanent ones. (or you could actually sign up and play) And usually the tournament puts one hole that actually flies across the north end of the pond, adding something almost like a challenge.
Many have said it, but 9 is definitely the most interesting hole, playing best to lefties or side/forehand throwers. The willow tree on the right WILL stop your disc cold. UPDATE: The willow tree has been decimated by the park in 2011. You hardly notice it, anymore.
Cons: Frankly, I'm a little bored with it since it doesn't have many trees or other hazards to slow you down. I play here frequently because my main 2 friends both love it, and for the holes I mentioned above.

Hole 9 goes across an old, lost parking lot. This is now a dumping ground by the city for dirt and mulch. 2011 was horrible, they kept piling more and more dirt here, trashing the view and making the tee-off annoying. Played the other day and it was improved, but I have a feeling summer 2012 will simply see more dumping of dirt. Sometimes we even skip this hole, and it was our favorite!
Other Thoughts: I'm not sure about the 1993 build date listed, this was the first course I ever played (with a 165g freestyle Frisbee, no less), before I graduated high school. It must have been 1987 or 88. Back then it was somewhat different than now, including a hole 12 pin that was an actual pin, a wooden post you had to hit rather than any sort of basket. It has had major revisions twice since then.

Shot a 3 on hole 11 last week. It may be time to retire, what possible achievement could surpass this?

Thought I'd add this for anyone interested in wildlife. An osprey took up residence at this park a couple years back. If you have any interest in watching an eagle dive and catch fish, this park has been pretty cool recently. We often stop playing just to watch.

Bassett Creek

1    3/28/2010   3/29/2010
Review By: chiefcastor
Pros: Bassett Park has a pretty good mix of different holes. There are some moderately wooded holes and there are some open. Massive elevation change is used in the back half of the course. Hole 6 is a short shot (240 ft) up a steep hill. This same massive hill is used in a few more holes either shooting off of it or up it. There are a few longer holes as well. Holes 2 and 11 are over 500 if shot from the long tees.

There are concrete teepads at every hole. Some of the holes have alternate tees which length the course significantly. Hole 9 is a very cool tee shot. You throw out of the trees off a small cliff.

Water is in play on only hole 5 in the form of a stream, despite the fact that the course plays around a lake.
Cons: Navigation at Bassett Park was very confusing. There are signs at the teepads, but all the have is the number of the hole and an arrow. Finding the next hole in a few places was very difficult. Going from hole 2 to 3 you have to walk a ways around the lake, but there are no signs indicating this.

There is room for possibly more holes at the park. Despite this fact I felt a few holes were too close together and had to wait on people throwing the opposite direction to be out of the way.
Other Thoughts: There are quite a few other sport facilities at the park. Though most of them were not in use when I was there (late March) I suspect it could become quite crowded mid summer.

Could be better

5+    6/28/2005   10/28/2009
Review By: Sadjo
This review was updated on 3/11/2011
Pros: Great short course in a nice, neighborhood park just west of Downtown Minneapolis. The course plays through some old oak trees while wrapping around a small lake fed by a creek.

The course offers some thread-the-needle type holes while also having a few grip it and rip holes.

It's a great course for beginners and offers some challenging shots while also making beginners feel they could score well.
Cons: The course could be more than it is...lots of original holes no longer exist. Could be from complaints or maybe future plans of the park.
Other Thoughts: I remember when the course first went into the ground and the original layout. Not many of the original holes left. And the lack of decent tee signs make it a bit of a chore to get around the course...if you haven't played there before.