Fredericksburg, VA
Pratt Park Share
Uploaded By: Timber Hole #2 (Taken 4/2009)
Hole #2 Approach

Starts slow, ends grand.

1    3/7/2010   3/8/2010
Review By: prerube
Pros: It was like playing 2 seperate courses. Holes 1-8 were typical, flat and moderately wooded. Then holes 11-18 were great wooded holes utilizing elevation, the ravine, the creek, and all of nature to it's fullest.

Navigation has improved, small tags in the trees point to the next tee location. Most baskets are visible from the tees. White markers noted where the tee pads were, several tees had wood boxes.

I noticed some holes had pro tees that were not on the map and were poorly marked, but they do exist.

Holes 12-18 were great:
Hole 12 was an amazing winding downhill shot along the ravine.
Hole 13 was a straight shot over a deep valley
Hole 14 was a nice shot with some elevation over the creek.
Hole 16 was a seveer down hill throw to the water (shoot at the second basket)
Hole 18 was a blind dog leg right over a hill and past 2 fallen trees that love to knock down discs.
Cons: Holes 9 and 10 are 2 of the worst designed holes I have ever played.
Hole 9 throws over a busy walking trail in 2 spots as well as a busy feild. I had to wait over 4 minutes for an opening to throw. Hole 10 throws along and over the same trail. If you overthrow, your disc goes down in the ravine by 18, I played it safe and threw short landing at the edge of the walking path and a kid on a bike thought he found a free disc. I will never play these 2 holes again, these 2 safety hazards killed this unique course.

Tee signs with distances would be very beneficial, also signs showing how to navigate down to your disc after you throw it over the elevation would be nice. Finding the tees and the baskets was much easier than figuring out how you get to those tees safely.

#4's tee pad is too short to comfortably throw, also several of the tee pads were uneven under the carpeting.
Other Thoughts: Back 9 are physically demanding If you have a stroller, bad knees, or really young children play 1-8 twice.

There are water hazards, but you can leave the golder retriever and speedo at home, the water is mostly clear and shallow.
If holes 9 and 10 did not exist this course would rank as one of the best course I have played.

pratt park

1    1/16/2010   1/16/2010
Review By: aPfaff
Pros: holes 1-9 were easy access, very scenic and had alot of ace runs, had a homey feeling to it, it was better than normal
Cons: back 9 holes the layout was crazy and required hopping up and down a creek that just kept going. muddy and not well mantainded, if you aren't good at steep stairs and walking or have knee problems dont play this course, not that great of a layout
Other Thoughts: great course except some parts

Pratt park review

5+    9/28/2009   9/30/2009
Review By: discgolfhippy
Pros: All of the holes have a "fair way" to the pin. There is much variety in the holes. It takes many different shots to get through this course. Play smart, or you will not get your par. Threes are good on many of the holes. Some of the holes require a steep uphill walk to the next tee, but overall the walk between holes is very reasonable.
Cons: Finishing 18 you have to go up 33 (steep) steps to get out of the ravine. Once out you walk 1000 ft to the parking lot and hole 1.
Other Thoughts: The course have greatly improved since I first saw it. (6 years ago) There has been a recent revival of Pratt, it is looking great. Be prepared, it will take a little out of you. Make sure to get your water bottle filled up on ten's teepad.

Hiden Gem in the Area

5+    2/11/2011   8/17/2009
Review By: ruxc82
This review was updated on 2/12/2011
Pros: 18 pretty challenging holes from wide open to somewhat tight wood holes. Shooting par 54 for intermediate to low advanced player is a good round. One hole could be called a par 4. Several birdie chances but several holes par 3 is a good score. This is a course that is a work in progress and only keeps getting better. Lot of locals are spending a lot of time to making this course even better then what it is. Many great things to come in the near future check it out.
Cons: I don't really have any cons to share. I can play this course 5 days a week and only come across a handful of people using the walking paths. Picnic areas I have never seen anyone use. Maybesome random kids will stop by and sit once in a while

Back To Pratt

5+    8/12/2009   8/12/2009
Review By: G Bud
This review was updated on 7/1/2010
Pros: -Classic Old Virginia Course!!!
-Tight, wooded fairways so accuracy and a little arm is needed throughout.
-Beautiful creek scramble on back 9. Creek usually not too high depending on rain fall but water can and does come into play.
-Course favors Left-handers (Righties bring that old flippy plastic.)
-Love the old Mach IIs
-Nice plaque to Dave Griffin on tree at pin for 13. We Miss You Big Daddy!!!!
Cons: -Can be tricky to follow course layout & flow. This has been improved with recent TLC. Just keep you eye open for the white tape.
-May have to play around and deal with park patrons. Especially in the creek during Summer afternoons. Camps take their kids there to play & hangout.
-Some hole similarity may give you deja vu
Other Thoughts: The last time I played Pratt Park they only used pole holes for Virginia States. We played it as an object course often during those years. 10+ so it was nice to play it with baskets and I love the old Mach IIs. Nice solid targets. Playing this course took me back to those mid 90s Virginia State Championships. If you have never participated in a Virginia States put it on that bucket list. Go Lazos!!!
I've gotten back to Pratt a little more often of late and am excited to see some love being given to the old girl. The new Hole 14 is a great improvement over the old one and is more "Pratt Like". Lots of work has and is being done to improve this course. Because of that, I felt I needed to bump my rating up a point for my old friend. Great job and thanks to the folks of Spotys DG!!

Plastic v. Park Patrons

1    6/30/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Holes 12-18:
- 12 long, blind, wooded, right-to-left, downhill to basket near creek bed
- 13 still in woods, across ravine
- 14 out of woods, 200'+ blind, left-turning uphill throw
- 15 back in woods, fair throwing lane, right turn at end
- 16 short, steep, downhill, basket near same creek bed as 13
- 17+18 in woods, slightly twisting, following creek bed, turn right at end
Cons:
Single-position, hard-to-see baskets, #18 was missing. No distance signs nor hole diagram at teepad. Single, natural, many root-filled teepads.

Small tree stumps - the type your break your toe on if you're not watching your steps.

Throwing near others:
- #1's flight path is down the length of the entry road
- #5-#8 are in the middle of picnic tables and grilles
- #9-#10 cut across walking paths
- plenty of kids like playing in the creek bed of 13, 16-18, sometimes using the baskets to hold their backpacks :-)

Navigation:
- #11 is quite some distance from #10. Follow a path thru the woods behind/right of basket, until you reach a paved path. Turn left and follow path until you get to row of trees near parking lot and building on right.
- After finishing #18, you have a steep uphill (steps) walk, then a longish walk across the field to the parking lot.
This course primarily plays in the wooded area surrounding a multi-purpose park. Holes 1-10 are flat, with numbers 3-8 playing in the woods. Holes 11-18 are mostly in the woods, and most have some elevation changes and/or require more-shapely shots than the initial ten.

With the aid of the online map, I was able to navigate this course fairly easily my first visit - would have no chance without it. Because of no signs at teepads, I often had to go scout the location of the basket, since many shots were blind.

The Front and Back of Pratt

1    5/20/2009   6/2/2009
Review By: Tolbert
Pros: Pratt Park was an interesting play. At the first tee all i was thinking was, this course is dangerous. After the next several wooded holes i was having a good time, but nothing was blowing my mind. A couple lackluster holes around the track later I had just about made up my mind about the course when we hit the ravine holes. Truly epic. Big shots go up, down over and along a creek that has carved out a steep, beautiful piece of disc golf terrain. 14 i think it was really stood out, a nice winding shot that eventually finishes downhill to the creek. Another unique hole went steeply uphill under the power lines. Did I mention I love water in play. All of this made a so so front 9 seem like a pleasant warm up for the back. The play of the last 8 holes made the stop here not only worth it but a place I would play again.
Cons: First and foremost, the navigation. Holes are spread out and without tee signs and other helpful directing you may leave thinking the course is really only a 9 hole. If I hadn't met some locals in the parking lot who let me tag along I don't think I would have found the back 9 holes that I enjoyed so much. As I mentioned, the first hole just seems dangerous. From above, you drive straight into the the road which serves as the entrance/exit of this heavily used park. I'm sure golfers are looking out for vehicles, but it seems like the hole could be laid out a little better. 2 holes in the later part of the front 9 also play very close to a running track.
Other Thoughts: Some signage here is crucial, holes are just too spread out to go without. The amazing back nine is very difficult to find your way and I was told that some locals will just play the front 9 over and over (seemed crazy to me if you knew about the back.) If I were to come back and find the course marked I would easily change this rating to a 4.

A Nice Escape from the City

1    5/28/2009   5/31/2009
Review By: Neophyte
Pros: This course has some great natural features, valleys, forest and river. I was also amazed at how secluded I felt on the course despite its close proximity to major population centers. The course requires you to use a variety of shots and allows you to "air it out" for max distance on a couple of holes. There are also a good number of very technical holes that require precision shots. A good mix of left and right turning fairways, requiring either a mix of forehand and backhand or an ambidextrous player to land your shots on the fairway. The river is a great feature and really adds to how the course plays. The park also provides a great venue of practicing your form because of the number of soccer fields located in the middle of the park.
Cons: Like the other reviewers have mentioned, navigation was a real problem for me on this course. Additionally, this course like a couple of others that I have played for the first time could really use tee signs. I guess cost is the impediment but they really make the course more accessible to the visiting player and to the new player.
Other Thoughts: This course convinced me to always print a map if there is one available on this site. I spent twenty minutes trying to figure out where to go from the 10th to the 11th hole. No excuses, next time I will have a map.

awesome back 9

1    5/16/2009   5/16/2009
Review By: dobsonr
This review was updated on 1/3/2010
Pros: Pratt Park is located in a nice area in Fredericksburg - it's quite close to civilization but for most of the course you wouldn't be able to tell. The course is pretty well varied, with mostly wooded holes. The first half of the course is almost entirely tight wooded holes. There are 2 open holes in the middle, followed by more interesting wooded holes on the back end. The back 9 features some interesting changes in elevation - my personal favorite hole was #13, which plays from the top of a steep hill over a small valley. #12 is a nice, and long, blind downhill shot. The last few holes wrap around a creek, and #18 ends by a waterfall. There really are some wonderful views here.
Cons: My biggest problem with this course was navigation. Most baskets are not visible from the tees, so I had to walk the length of most of the holes before playing them in order to know where I was throwing. Having to walk each hole twice made the round take quite some time. Also, finding the next tee was often quite hard - this course could really benefit from some signage indicating the hole layouts and the location of the next tee.

You will not be able to get a quick round in at this course. After playing there once navigation won't be a problem, but the varied terrain, the occasional long distance between holes, and the fact that the basket for 18 is a long walk from the parking lot all combine for a lengthy round.

#14 is a hole that I might just skip next time. The tee is at the bottom of a steep hill, requiring a tomahawk up and over the hill. I thought that I could easily do this, but proved myself wrong and landed halfway up the VERY steep hill. Getting my disc was not fun... there are many places throughout this course where getting to your disc can be miserable.
Other Thoughts: Pratt Park is a good place to play. There are chances to use every disc in the bag here, and there are some great views. I would recommend printing a map, because there were none available on site and you will need one. Be ready for a lot of walking and a longer-than-usual round of play.

All things considered, I would rather play Loriella over Pratt. The scenery is nicer at Pratt, and a few of the holes are pretty remarkable, but overall Loriella provides a more satisfying round. I recommend checking out Pratt, but only if you don't mind a hike and aren't in a hurry.

UPDATE: Since my initial review I have returned to this course several times, and it looks like lots of work has been going into it lately. There is bright green ribbon marking the baskets, and on most holes there is a band around a tree marking the direction to throw in. There are now white markers on trees indicating the way to the next hole, as well. All of these improvements make navigating this course MUCH easier.

Many of the tees now have mats as well, which is great (except on #4, which has lots of mulch under the mat and isn't very smooth). There are also white tee markers at every tee.

I no longer prefer Loriella over Pratt park. Each course is great and unique - Loriella has more open holes and longer drives, but I think that the holes at Pratt (particularly the back 9) are much more creative.

Amazing Fun Course

1    4/11/2009   4/11/2009
Review By: chapner
Pros: Some absolute beautiful pin locations the 18th hole with a bend to the left down to a waterfall was really something to see.
Cons: My only gripe has to be the lack of direction, most holes are easy to find however, one hole where you shoot up hill by 3 power line poles has a large mass of thorn bushes that serve nothing else than to steal your disk
Other Thoughts: Great course bathrooms available clean and enjoyable. Be prepared for thorns climbing and getting wet in the creek

Make sure to print out a map before going there were no maps in the box when I arrived