Lewisberry, PA
Pinchot State Park - Quaker's Challenge Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #2 (Taken 8/2009)

Challenging

1    7/13/2009   4/3/2010
Review By: JDaley522
Pros: From tight to wide open tee shots, this course is the most challenging (both physically and mentally) I have ever played.
Cons: Cement tee boxes would be a great addition to this course
Other Thoughts: I recommend checking for ticks after playing here. Being in good physical shape is recommended, also...some of the holes are STEEP!

5+    5/31/2010   4/1/2010
Review By: cblack129
This review was updated on 5/31/2010
Pros: All 18 baskets are in great condition including a practice basket by the info sign. All tees were in pretty good shape and level. Tee signs on every hole with recommended flight path, distance. Pin position is noted by a peg in a labeled hole on the tee sign pole. The flow of the course is great. Only one time do you cross over another fairway, but look both ways before you cross and you'll be fine. The fairways are kept in great shape. There are benches on every hole. There is plenty of elevation in this course, uphill and downhill. There is camping available in the park along with restrooms and running water. No hole is the same here. Plenty of room for parking in the parking lot. Anytime I've played this course, it's never been crowded.
Cons: Tee pads are currently gravel. Some areas remain swampy after rain.
Other Thoughts: I would give course another half star when concrete tees are installed. Course is long and tight, which requires good accuracy. If you get off the fairway, it's better to just get back on the fairway with a short shot then try to plow through the woods. If you want to shoot par, keep it out of the woods. There is a beautiful view of the lake from basket #1. The local club "The Llamas" take great care of this course. There are bag tag matches here weekly and regular tournaments.

Bring your Sherpa!

1    1/23/2010   1/23/2010
Review By: jblough
Pros: The great thing about the course is that you get an idea of what it is like right off the bat; you look up and see a super steep hill with the basket taunting you from the top. From the first drive, you know that this course is going to contain tons of elevation changes, a plethora of rocks, an insane challenge for any skill level, and tight wooded passages that challenge the technical thrower. Wooded passages not your thing? There are plenty of semi-open holes that require a MONSTER arm. Hole #3 comes to mind, with distances ranging from 550 to 935 depending on the pin placement. Wow! Numbers 6, 7, 10, and 16 are also long by anybody's standards, with distances of 525 and over. These aren't all straight ahead fairways, either; rather, they are snaking passages that will require anyhyzers, hyzers, and maybe even overhand shots.

And then there are the holes with mad elevation. I already mentioned the first one, but then there's #9. It's a tight downhill drive with the pin not too far away from basket one. Throw it too far and watch your disc go down the steep hill that you climbed up earlier! Talk about risk/reward! Hole #17 is my favorite on the course, with a blind downhill descent over a ravine to a basket. Even in January this hole (as well as the rest of the course) is very scenic and detached from the hustle and bustle of civilization.

As with Boulder Woods, the park is pretty well-cared for and navigation from tee to tee isn't hard at all; I didn't need my map with either course. I'm sure that the Llamas take care of the course often, seeing as how they have their own storage shed on the course grounds. That's so cool!

Basically, this course has everything I look forward to in a course: elevation changes, technical shots, long bomb drives, sharp anhyzers and hyzers, and a nice wooded feel to the experience. I honestly would have given this a 4.5 if there were one or two more open area/roller shots and a water hazard.
Cons: Perhaps I was spoiled from the awesome concrete tees Boulder Woods, but I wasn't too impressed with the gravel teepads at this course. The notable exception is with hole #7 and its long ,luxurious, white shag carpet-covered tee.

The course plays near PA-177 on several holes. The issue of a disc going out on the road is virtually impossible (the million trees will inevitably bounce them back to you), but it's still pretty noisy and is distracting from the rest of the course's seclusion and beauty.

Apparently bugs are an issue at this course in the summer. I'd recommend playing here in the late autumn or on one of those rare warm days in the winter. Who knows? Maybe playing without the foliage may also help your scores.

I really like the rugged demeanor of this course, but man there are a lot of rocks! My legs felt like rubber after playing here because seldom was I on level ground. You'll be climbing and going down many hills, trudging through the brush, and stumbling over rocks most of the day. Do your ankles a favor and take a nice pair of hiking shoes/boots to navigate this one!
Other Thoughts: I couldn't help but think of the wooded Paw-Paw holes when I was playing here. The tight wooded fairways spitting my discs back at me gave me flashbacks to the Woodshed and Whippin' Post.

This course is very challenging! I can't repeat this enough. It will make you regret a lot of shots and test your power. I made the mistake of playing at Boulder Woods first and I was pretty exhausted at the end. I like the other reviewers' advice when they recommend playing here before Boulder Woods so you can build your ego up again.

Regardless, I think this is a fantastic complement to the other course on the grounds of this state park. The people in this region are extremely lucky to have disc golf here and I applaud them for taking such good care of it!

Excellent challenge!

2-4    10/10/2009   10/11/2009
Review By: sidewinder22
This review was updated on 3/29/2014
Pros: Challenging 18 hole course with excellent use of elevation and land. Nice baskets, concrete tees and good signage throughout the course on the tees with map and basket position, and directional signs to next tee. Excellent variety of hole length and shot requirements. Rewards good shots and punishes shots off the fairway. Disc golf only area.
Cons: Rough fairways and trails with sharp rocks, divots and little tree stumps can be dangerous without good footwear and awareness. Trail crosses back over hole 2 fairway, so beware.

Other Thoughts: I loved this course especially the huge elevation changes, length, variety, and the challenge. There are bathrooms at the parking lot, and a Subway right down the street for food. Favorite holes 1, 3, 8, 11, 17. This is basically hiking a mountain for 18 long holes, so hiking boots and water are highly recommended. I might be a little crazy, but I had a great time and can't wait to go back!

Great Pro-level course...getting better

1    9/13/2009   9/15/2009
Review By: mattohara
Pros: Difficulty, Length, Creativity, Contrast (to Boulder Woods on the other side of the lake), Llamas, Map, Scorecard, Signage, Water Fountain by the Tower, Clean, Multiple Pins
Cons: Gravel/Crushed Rock Tees, Unmanicured Holes (some more than others), Heavy Woods, Bugs, Pools of Water, No facilities on-course, Thorns
Other Thoughts: This course is a BEAST! The first hole is a gigantor uphill blast that really sets the tone for this course. I'm glad I had my hiking boots on because I needed them. (Note that there is also parking on the other side of the course by the water tower so you can "work up" to Hole 1 by playing the back 9 first).

My buddy and I tackled the front 9 with gusto. These holes are looong and, over parts of the course, heavily wooded, in deep grass, and complicated by lots of saplings on fairways that could be cut back a bit. I can't even imagine a pro trying to get through some of these.

Walking back on 5 and 6 we realized that what we thought was bug spray was actually sunscreen! Luckily we ran into Jeff and George (I think those were their names) at the top of the hill. They were very nice, talked about the course, lent us some bug spray. The state gave them 80 acres and they're using all of it! They're working on getting concrete pads and trying to clear out some of the greens a bit more. Great work these guys are doing, given the rough terrain and rocks. Don't forget to stop for some water at the fountain!

Back on the course we forgot to use the map (it's a good one, use it) and went from 7 to 12. That's one spot where an additional signpost would be nice. We realized it on 14 and decided to backtrack later. On the REST of the course the signage is EXCELLENT, with "next tee" arrows under the baskets and great tee signs that show you the layout and tell you which pin you're aiming for. Nice benches at practically every hole too. It was partially our own fault for getting off course.

We finished the course about 2.5 or 3 hours after starting. On lots of holes we hiked 3/4 of the way to the basket before we could see it and we spotted for each other. I'm used to Sedgely Woods, which I can play in an hour or less. So be prepared. Bring lots of water, bug spray (no sunscreen necessary), hiking boots and jeans (in case you have to go off-course through the thick, thorny undergrowth-we did and we found an unmarked Panther in great condition).

I LOVED the challenge, but I don't think I'm ready for this course yet. Next time I'll warm up at Boulder Woods and have lunch before tackling this creation.

Smacked by a Pacifist

1    9/5/2009   9/10/2009
Review By: swatso
This review was updated on 9/15/2013
Pros:
Eighteen differing holes, with the all 'B' positions ranging from 200' to nearly 800', averaging 430'. Good signs showing distances and current basket position. Directional signs at strategic locations throughout the course. Benches at every hole. Practice Basket. Next tee arrows on bottom of basket. Bathroom available near start.
Cons:
About 1/3rd of the holes only have a single basket position. Gravel tee areas less than ideal.

Update 9/14/13: The teepade upgrade to concrete makes a great course even better!
Great variety from a course that plays up, down, and mostly across deeply-wooded sloping land. A couple very steep uphill holes, a few less-steep uphill, a few downhill, the remainder relatively flat. One super short/tight straight, a few short tight-turners, but most holes long and requiring multiple turns and very long approach shots - the day I played the course, there were eight holes of length 450' or greater. This meant I had several very long second shots, but the very rocky and/or steep and/or tree-rooted and/or thick grass made it nearly impossible to achieve any type of run-up - another difficulty to adapt to. Nice blend of left/right/S/no turning shots needed - I literally did use every disc in my bag.

Course is not suitable for beginners. Stout footwear needed, given the hiking and rocks. Off-target shots will be severely punished - you'll rarely have any type of decent line if you get knocked into the underbrush/thicker woods. Decent chance to lose a disc if you get knocked off the primary throwing paths, which are fair, but challenging. After finishing #7, tee #8 is to the left. Don't mistake the practice basket (straight) for basket #18 (to the left).

Favourite hole #3: Three pin positions, 550', 795', 935'. Need a long, maybe 350', straight shot with a short-n-sharp left fade, then continue straight on to the three possible positions, challenged by trees the entire length.

This is a fantastic course and will provide a real litmus test for players. Would love to see alternate pin positions at every hole, and improved tee areas, but a definite must-play if anywhere near the area.

masicism at its finest

2-4    8/23/2009   8/23/2009
Review By: prerube
Pros: nice maps and arrows under all of the tees make this course easy to navigate. small pegs in the sign let you know which tee pad is set up.
Super challenging course with some intense elevation changes in play.
Hole 1 sets the pace with an intimadating uphill shot that has you thinking, "what am i getting into".
There is a bathroom down by the water on the otherside of the parking lot. There is a playground and water activities for family members who do not play.
The scenery and creativity is worth the beat down this course can provide.
Cons: the frustrating part of this course was not being able to see the baskets. I think holes 14 and 15 were the only holes where you could see the basket from the tee. On some holes I threw par before ever seeing the basket. On hole 10 you can not see the basket until you are with in putting range. Hole 6 took several throws to get with in sight of the basket.

Also there are times when you are walking or teeing off and discs can come flying at you. you have to walk right through the middle of fairway 2 to get to hole 7 from 6. There is also a tee near the fairway of hole 2 and baskets 1 and 9 were back to back.
Other Thoughts: This is NOT A COURSE FOR BEGINNERS. Smaller children will find it difficult just to walk the course. If you are looking for a family friendly course I hear Boulder is better.
Forget par and plan on staying a while. This course measures about 7,700 ft from tees to baskets. you will end up walking about 3 miles so plan on being there for 1 1/2 hours solo or several hours with a group.
BRING BUG SPRAY! wearing hiking shoes would be a good idea too, the terrain is rough and in some parts very muddy and wet.

Signature holes:
1. intense uphill 242ft. Par 3
9. 300ft straight down hill
10. starts uphill with no sign of a basket and ends going downhill after a turn.
11. steeep uphill shot 444 ft.
17. interesting downhill shot that appears far more difficult than it is.

great woods course

1    8/16/2009   8/17/2009
Review By: MarkN
Pros: Nice woody course tucked into hillside and top in Pinchot State Park, Quaker Race area. Good signage at every hole including distance, pin placement (most have 2 locations), par, and map. Arrows at each basket to next tee. Kiosk below first hole has nice scorecards (incl same info as above) and other course info. Fairly well laid out, takes advantage of elevation with some wicked uphill & downhill holes, and despite woods, most holes had clearly defined mown fairways. Crushed stone tee pads. Benches at most tees to relax or wait for the preceding group.

Challenging course with as much diversity as possible in limited area forces range of throws uphill, downhill, right, left, short, long.
Cons: Few cons. Potential for confusion finding next tee if not paying attention (e.g. 4th tee). Heads up, must cross 2nd fairway to get from 6 to 7. Tee boxes not always well defined. Poison ivy abundant in places.

16(B) was my score killer.
Other Thoughts: I played this the day after local tourney Llamapalooza so course was in very good shape. I was under impression that club did a lot of work to prep course for this weekend. Not sure if always in such condition as it requires a fair amount of maintenance (nice work Llamas).

Reading other reviews, was worried that this course would be too discouraging. This was not the case. While it is challenging, it is far from unreasonable. I'm a recreational player and was a few horrible putts away from averaging bogey scores, birdied one, parred several. My father enjoyed this course despite inexperience, only 3rd course played. I'm generally not fond of all woods courses but this one is favorite of the bunch & will look forward to returning.

I understand that there are some rare or threatened plants in area, so don't wander and pay attention to OBs.

The club responsible for this appears to be at: http://sports.groups.yahoo.co...BoulderWoods/
And great for PA state parks for these courses.

Pleasantly surprised

1    8/10/2009   8/11/2009
Review By: zapplayer12
Pros: Level crushed stone tee pads
Descriptive signs at each tee except for one (vandalism or just not in place?)
Arrows on each basket pointing toward the next tee (had a scorecard/map and never once used it)
Fairways were much better than expected (I was expecting ridiculous; this is normal PA disc golf to me - challenging mentally and physically)
Rough not as rough as previously described
Excellent use of length & elevation both uphill & downhill
Nice balance of holes for those who throw right or left handed.
Works well with the land given
Disc golf only area
In a PA State Park - guaranteed quality DG.
Cons: No water in play
No 'wide open' shots; lacks variety
Bugs but typical for the region
Challenge could be a turn-off for some players
Other Thoughts: As I approached the tee for #1 and looked up, I knew I was home: Significant uphill elevation, tight fairway with rough that would severely punish an errant throw, lots of rocks, a detailed tee sign & bench to sit on; bugs, pollen, heat, humidity, sweat...and that feeling I get when I go to a new disc golf park: excited with anticipation to see what unfolds. This one did not disappoint as I was expecting a long, physically & mentally demanding Pennsylvanian hardwood disc golf course and that's what I got.

I imagine my experience differs from other reviewers since there's a tournament this weekend and the course appears, from what I can tell for just the first time being here, to be in pretty gosh-darn good shape. The fairways were mowed, the rough less dense than anticipated - there were even OB markers on some holes! Therefore, I didn't have trouble locating an errant throw which certainly kept the frustration factor focused on the technical nature of the course rather than my mistakes. This in turn increases the 'fun factor' which always helps on challenging courses. Four Discs!

DISC GOLF ON STEROIDS!!!

2-4    6/6/2009   6/15/2009
Review By: IAMGT
This review was updated on 3/30/2010
Pros: Extremely Challenging!!! Well thought out course. Very interesting layout with many different types of throws required. Both times I played the course, my friend and I were the only ones on the course. This is a beautiful course set in the woods at Pinchot. The first hole just intimidates you looking up the hillside to see the basket up on top. Number 3 can either be exciting or make you want to end your round early, depending on how much you hit trees. I am proud to say I parred the hole the last time I played and it was in position A which I know is the easiest, but hey, I felt good. Each hole on the front gives you a chance to use different throws and discs. There is a good mix of long and short, so it doesn't feel like you always have to wing it as hard as you can. The more intelligently you play this course, the better your score will reflect. What I mean is, if you throw it in the bush and you have a clear chip out versus a risky shot to go over top and a little further...take the short throw out and set yourself up for a better next shot....this will help you more in the long run.
Cons: Extremely Challenging! This course is really difficult. The easy holes here, are still fairly difficult, but the hard holes, are really hard. I would definitely bring bug spray because at some point you will pull a tick off of you because your disc didn't go perfectly straight. Some holes are extremely long with a very narrow fairway.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course a lot. It is very well thought out and different from many of the courses in the surrounding area. I imagine that I will enjoy this course more when I can throw it longer and straighter off the tee. The more you play this course, the more you feel like you want to conquer it. It is far more challenging than boulder, and it makes you feel like a champ when you play boulder after Quaker. I can't imagine many ace's happening on this course, but you never know!

IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THIS COURSE, YOU ARE MISSING OUT