Charlotte, NC
Sugaw Creek Park Share

In the middle of the pack for Charlotte courses!

5+    7/15/2012   3/31/2013
Review By: Mortis Canyon
Pros: Course caters to beginner / intermediate players.
Course is easy to navigate.
Good mix of open and wooded holes that require an array of shots to score well.
Benches and trashcans at most holes.
Course has other amenities like tennis courts, baseball fields, playgrounds, basketball courts, etc.
Nice tee signs with layout of hole.
A couple of raised baskets (#6 & #14) with #14 being placed in the middle of a tree adding some variety.
Park is smaller in terms of acreage, however makes good use of the land that is there.
Haven't witnessed the course being over crowded like Reedy can be at times.
The mandos on this course are reasonable.
Police will patrol the area often.
Cons: Park is not in a great area of Charlotte.
Slim to none elevation change.
Course has trash lying around.
Only one tee pad and pin per hole.
Walking paths and entrance road come into play on several holes. Some holes also play along a major road in Charlotte with consistent traffic.
No tee on hole 1, but you are able to use the sidewalk so not a huge con for me.
Other Thoughts: Course is more catered to RHFH and/or LHBH players.

The course brings a challenge, however not quite the challenge like you will get at Reeny or Hornet's Nest. I'm by no means am the best disc golfer out there, so I will find this course a challenge to break par. Having said that, I believe that luck is needed more than at most Charlotte courses.

Front 9 consists of more wooded holes for technical shots while the back 9 is more open for a "grip and rip" feel.

Course is also nearby other parks with disc golf courses. Eastway and Kilborne.

Make certain that you leave no valuables out in plain view in your vehicle.

Another day in the ghetto

5+    6/1/2012   6/8/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: The course is very beat in and is easy to navigate.

There are benches and trashcans on almost every hole.

Design wise this course is solid. There are a few negatives or things that I disagree with but for the most part this course will test your game and specifically your accuracy

There are a few unique touches on this course that I have never seen anywhere else such as the tee under the magnolia branch on 7 and the basket in the tree on 14.

There is a good mix of open and wooded holes.

Brand spanking new baskets!!

Cons: as far as design goes many of these aspects could not be avoided with the land given. The course is sqeezed together and thus has multiple fairways that run parallel to one another and require OB and Mandos. While these speed up play they do not protect from discs flying into other fairways.

I personally do not like the design of hole 3 at all.

This course is in the Ghetto and there are usually bumbs sleeping on benches, sketchy dudes(non-dgers) rolling joints, and overall sketchy people around the course. I have never personally had problems but I have heard some rough stories. Be aware as you play.

The course has a lot of trash most of which is not from DGers .
Other Thoughts: This course is a solid course but lacks the fun factor to me that other courses in the area give you,. I struggled with a rating of 3 or 3.5 but ultimatly lowered to 3 due to the roughness of the area. The design is more along a 3.5

Thic course is well worth your time and with the proximity of Kilbourne and Eastway it makes for an easy 3 in one day combo

The Sugaw Shack

1    6/2/2012   6/8/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - There's a solid mix of open and wooded fairways as well as a decent mixture of distance. There's no absolute bomber holes but you'll probably pull out a driver more than once.

For the most part the wooded fairways are short and technical with trees within the fairway. The course won't really test your game but you will have to work some shots different directions and maybe pull out some OH's. You will need to be accurate through gaps as well as avoiding some well placed OB.

The more open holes still force you to make solid shots, they're not just wide open spaces with straight on looks.

There's a few neat twists thrown in the course. A couple of raised baskets, one on a hill one within a tree. There's also a very unique tee right behind a low branch that doesn't affect your throw but gets in your eye line and makes you think a bit.

Equipment - New baskets and decent sized tees for the distance you'e going. Good signage. The mandos are very visible.

Atmosphere - There's some nice looking holes out there. It definitely has a city park look to it but there's some areas that have more diverse foliage than I'm used to. Nice mix in that regard.
Cons: Layout - The biggest con layout wise is that there's a lot of holes really close and it does give you that crammed in feel in a few places. I had a guide but I could see people getting confused. The crammed in deal also causes the course to use more mandos than i like to see to keep you separate from other park activities, other fairways and the road.

Some of the holes have one tree to many in the fairway and it's creating more of a luck situation. I don't say that about many courses but you'll find it here.

No elevation changes really. It's flat out there.

The greens aren't cleverly designed like you see in a lot of Charlotte courses; and because it's in the Queen City you notice more.

The course would seem to fit beginner and intermediate players more but I could see this course not only confusing new players but frustrating them with some unfair holes.

Atmosphere - The course has this feel of "hey it's there" to it. That may have to do with the neighborhood and clientele that frequents it. I was told it's a ghetto course and although I didn't really experience anything that stood out to me I got that feeling. There's more pristine courses in Charlotte for sure.
Other Thoughts: It's a fun round and isn't that the best compliment you can give a course? Even though some holes have some BS factor I didn't mind not making the gap, it's not a course that will frustrate you to death. It kind of gives you that low expectations feeling so when you had fun it just makes it that much better.

However, I can't really look back and say that any hole really stood out to me. There's a couple I remember but none that wowed me.

Pour some Sugaw on Me

1    2/16/2012   3/3/2012
This review was updated on 3/5/2012
Pros: 1) Another wooded course with discatchers is always appreciated because they are by far the most visible baskets for this type of course.

2) Kiosk at the first hole for information and league postings etc.

3) Nice recycled plastic signs like the older Charlotte courses. These signs have Hole #, distance, par and a general map of the holes. The maps aren't the best in the world but they at least give you an idea of the layout of the hole.

4) Just another solid design on a mostly heavily wooded property. There are some more open holes here in terms of turfed areas but there are still plenty of obstacles to worry about on those more open holes. I would say the holes are not as open as the open holes at Eastway, so they maintain the integrity of still needing to execute golf shots and not just distance.

5) This course has a ton of variety because of the varying density of trees and the obstacles. There are a good balance of tight wooded, to somewhat open with key trees, to just a couple with only one or two things to consider on your drive. All in all balance helps make a course better than if it was just one type of hole.

6) While challenging, this course is still fairly beginner friendly. The wooded holes aren't super long so beginners can escape trouble and still be able to recover for pars and bogeys. There also are quite a few holes that are moderately open . . . still some key trees to avoid but plenty of air space to allow for the beginners throws.

7) Very cool trees and plant material on this course. There were a handful of Magnolias on a few places on this course which is a very attractive tree. I also noticed a lot of Ivy in he woods that was climbing some of the mature trees and it was very attractive and depending on the variety in the fall it could look outstanding as they change colors.

8) There is a loop of 1-8 that goes near to the parking lot and then 9-18 goes out and comes back again. I like this feature as a bonus for those hot days or anytime a bathroom might be desired. I would never take away from a courses rating if this wasn't available but I think it deserves bonus points for having this as a feature.

9) Bathrooms are available inside of the rec. center and I am sure there is some sort of refreshment machine too if that is desired.

10) This is a relatively quick play because it is on a fairly small property. The back 10 opens up a little bit and stretches things out compared to the front 8 holes.

11) Typical to Charlotte . . . there are a couple of raised baskets. One is set up on a little mound which doesn't really change the hole much unless you skip off the mound or hit the basket and roll down the hill. A little gimmicky but better than a wide open boring basket in my opinion.

12) Decent variety in shot shaping here. It requires you to throw both directions off the tee and also some varied types of drives not just straight down the fairway. You can throw a roller or two out here, you can even throw a couple of putters on a few holes. All in all good balance and variety on the shots needed.

13) Nice concrete tees are always a
positive.

14) Benches and garbage cans are also plentiful enough to keep the course clean and give you a place to rest.

15) Directionals in a few areas to help guide you around but it is mostly intuitive.

16) I was able to use a Top Gun Reference and the title of my review is a reference to Def Leppard (THANKS BROTHER DAVE) . . . how much more can I reference the late 80's and early 90's.???
Cons: 1) Distance variation is not that great. All of the holes basically range between 200'-325' with a couple of outliers. I know this is the old style disc golf course and it does a good job using the property, but a true top notch course has a little of everything including distance.

2) There are a lot of places where the amount of play has taken its toll on the course. There are a lot of worn out areas which are due to the compaction from all the activity will lead to erosion if not repaired. I am trying to be a proponent of courses taking care of these things before thye become a big problem and a detractor for our sport.

3) Walking path comes into play as does the entrance road and even the main round on the perimeter of the course. These are always situations that can and should be avoided if at all possible. Sometimes I understand it just cannot be avoided but it still takes away from the course. This is the reason we need disc golf designers should be involved in the park planning commissions so that these situations can be avoided in the design process.

4) This course is just imply one of those courses where many of the baskets are just slightly out of reach for my best drives which afforded me a lot of drop in pars after a simple upshot. While this may not be a negative for everyone, it is for me. It takes away from the fun and challenge because there is basically no chance for me to birdie many of the holes.

5) The tightness of the course and the compact holes creates a few danger zones (taken right from Top Gun). Fairways running past tees or baskets could be a problem with errant shots.

6) I know this isn't the best
neighborhood, but I didn't have any problems. I suppose I was maybe a little suspicious going in because I had already been warned about it, so when I did encounter people (specifically by the bus stop) I simply got up to the tee and threw quickly. One guy actually asked a little about the sport and where I was throwing to which I pointed at the basket and gave him a very short answer about the game.

7) Vandalism and theft is apparently an issue because #11 basket was gone and I know it was recent.

8) Underbrush can be a problem in a few places around the course. You might be really punished for an errant shot here or there.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is not a bad course. Sure it is not in the greatest neighborhood but the design, flow, and variety of the holes keep it a solid course. It is not championship level (whatever that means) but it is a good Rec/Intermediate course or a virtual deuce or die for Advanced and Pros. It isn't the cleanest course and it is lacking a few things that would set it apart, but it is still another solid Charlotte disc golf course. As compared to the rest in Charlotte it is miles away from the best and maybe that it why it might be underappreciated by the locals, but still enjoyed by first timers.

1    12/5/2011   12/5/2011
Review By: xcrunner134life
Pros: Technical course with some distance too. The holes that are shorter require accuracy. The longer holes require some accuracy, but open up more. If you do get off the fairway, you can still save par. Very forgiving course, but you could put up a big number if you're not careful.
The course does allow you to be creative with shot selection without too much repercussions if you mess up.
Signs at all tees with distances.
Cons: Seems to be a busier part of town. First few holes play near a busy street, so there's lots of auto noise.
I had a guy ask me for change on one hole and a women ask if I had a cell phone she could borrow on another.
Many of the baskets and tees are close to one another. This is fine, but if you happen to have a group playing up on you who are not very good, you'll be watching over your shoulder a lot.
Other Thoughts: I liked the course overall. The course itself is very easy to walk. There are signs at all the tees and a few that along the course that point the way. The course is played enough that there are worn paths that you can follow. I had never been to Sugaw before and I found it to be very easy to get around.

Sugaw

2-4    9/9/2011   9/24/2011
Review By: BobStutts
Pros: Easy to get to. A lot of wooded shots at the start that require more than just distance to shoot well. The back portion is more open and allows for some longer throws. The combination should allow various shots. Left hand/right hand neutral. The course is easy to get to and if you feel athletic there are really good tennis courts nearby to hole one and the rec center. I started at 8;30 on Saturday morning and was the only one playing. When I finished there were at least 4 or 5 groups. Go early which I like to do anyway.
Cons: Hole one does not have a tee unless you consider the sidewalk. No basket on hole 17 the day I played. The pole supposed to be holding it was there and I played to hit the pole. Not a lot of hole to hole guidance so follow the most obvious path through the woods.
Other Thoughts: I am 67 and only been playing since March of 2010. I had only played three rounds at home on the coast when I played in Charlotte while on business. While I cannot throw like the youngsters I now can at least break posted pars. I encourage people to go back to their earlier discouraging course. I had improved 16 strokes.

Try to get people to play. I certainly wish I had started earlier and have already found that disc golf players are like fishermen. You don't find many who are not friendly.

The Charlotte Classic

1    6/22/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: denny ritner
Pros: Sugaw has a broad appeal for players from beginner through advanced level. The design maximizes the use of the land and provides a nice variety of holes. There are many beautiful old trees that canopy most of the course and make for an attractive setting.

The course is well balanced between technical and power requirements. There are plenty of opportunities to make birdies and score low; however, there is also quite a bit of OB that creates bogey opportunities.

In contrast to some of the bigger Charlotte area courses, Sugaw provides the opportunity for a quick, casual round on a lunch break or after work.
Cons: The land area for the course is on the small side; hence the course does have some crowding and safety issues. The park walking path comes into play on several of the holes in the initial section of the course. The park road is very much in play on holes 1 and 18.
Other Thoughts: Sugaw is a great part of the awesome Charlotte area disc golf scene. At present, North Carolina doesn't have any courses on the DGCR top ten list, but overall I don't see any city that stacks up with Charlotte in terms of the number and quality of disc golf options within a short drive.

Don't be a dirty discer, leave the course cleaner than the way you found it.

Sugaw

1    6/12/2010   6/15/2010
Review By: Pitty241
Pros: very challenging and many trees bloking the pins. I personaly loved it for this reason but had some cons to
Cons: very boring at parts and also frustrating if you hit the trees. It was frustrating with the fact that you had all these tunnel shots that where nearly imposible to get through to. also very messy and not well maintained

Disc golfin' in tha hood!

1    7/22/2009   8/1/2009
Review By: chain-addicted
This review was updated on 3/26/2010
Pros:
*Concrete tee-pads.
*Benches at several holes.
*Trash cans a-plenty.
*Great Variety!

Easy to find your way around. Challenging for the most part. Located close to another great course which is Kilborne TPC.

First 8 holes are mostly wooded, the rest are pretty open.
Cons:
No real elevation change on this course. Seedy/questionable part of town. The road-noise (coming from Sugar Creek Rd.) can be pretty annoying when you are on holes close to that road.

I wasn't too crazy about the elevated basket on hole #6.

Every time I play this course I happen to see "transient/shady character" types of folks just walking around acting like they are up to no good. I played there about a week ago and was just finishing up on hole #2 when I heard what sounded like alot of yelling and a huge commotion coming from the next hole. Turns out it was a couple of ghetto-bums (one was laying on the bench) being heavily intoxicated, arguing over God knows what but just making a LOUD scene.

Plenty of trash on this course as well. Empty/broken beer bottles and used rubbers. It was disappointing.
Holes 3 & 4 are really tough... at least for me they are. I never fail to hit a tree on my drives on these two holes... Be warned!

I would play this course more often on my way to Kilborne if I didn't have fear of getting robbed and left for dead out here in the woods. It might be a good idea to pack some "heat" if you go alone around dusk.

5+    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: honeycu4
Pros: Not to long but not to short. Majority of the holes are between 250' - 350' so provides nice birdie chances. For me plays much harder than it should. Usually find myself getting a three on almost every hole. Mix of open and wooded holes. Never very crowded.
Cons: The holes are all kind of the same. 300' and straight. Not very many doglegs and no multi-shot holes.