Charlotte, NC
Sugaw Creek Park Share

Variety

5+    4/28/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: JD Heel
Pros: - This course has great variety, as others have mentioned. You will get tested every time you play it.

- Along with the variety, the Sugaw designers did a great job with basket placement. The baskets are positioned to test your accuracy. In particular, I think of holes like #10, #12, #13, #14, and #18 where the basket placement comes into play.

- I like that the mandos are reasonable. Many courses have crazy mandos that seem forced, but the ones at Sugaw make a lot of sense.

- Sugaw's trees and other obstacles really test your accuracy. This is a weakness in my game, and no matter how many times I play Sugaw, it always gets me one way or another. But, you have to appreciate that.

- Tees and baskets are in good condition, and there is a practice basket next to the parking lot.
Cons: - As others have said, that isn't the best part of Charlotte. Sugaw is close to the Hidden Valley neighborhood that has been a crime haven in the past. The good news is that the Hidden Valley community has been cleaned up a lot in the past couple of years, and that helps the surrounding areas like Sugaw. And, personally, I've played here 7 times and have never had a problem.

- Trash is always an issue. It's worse in the wooded areas, as you can find all kinds of goodies deep into the woods. I've seen toilets, shopping carts, used condoms, etc.
Other Thoughts: - Unlike most courses that have a front nine and back nine, Sugaw has more of a front eight and back ten. The first 8 holes are to the left of the road that you drive in on, and 9-18 are to the right. (Actually, #1 is technically to the right of the road too, but it's still closer in proximity to holes 2-8.)

- If you're a RHBH thrower like me, your drive on #2 has the potential to end up in the fairway for #8 to the left. It really tests your ability to throw straight.

- #6 is a raised basket that makes it easy to misjudge the distance and sail an approach shot by. Be careful to take that into account if you can't get near the basket with your drive.

- The course always seems to have a fair amount of traffic, but I don't remember ever having to wait too long on anyone.

B+ = Be too long for me to fully enjoy

5+    12/29/2008   4/26/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A (Use of innovative hole shaping and OB is superb!)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B (There are 10 holes that I can birdie, but 7-8 that are a little too long for my arm. I throw accurately to 300'. 330' max but with much less accuracy. That makes those holes quite boring as a 2 is not realistic to hope for, a 3 routine and a 4 very frustrating. If I had 30-50' extra I would give a grade of A.)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A (Great variety of shots required - as good as it gets for a flat par-3 course. Maybe slightly too many lefty holes.)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B- (Not so pretty, but there a few pretty spots. Hole 5 might be the prettiest.)
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- NA
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

short yet technical

5+    9/21/2009   4/7/2009
Review By: skamasterhenrik
This review was updated on 10/23/2009
Pros: -You will use a variety of shots here: grip and rip, precision mids, and tricky putting
-Offers a decent chance at a solid score without being too easy
-Variety in the holes, most wooded but some open to open"ish"
Cons: -sketchy part of town, play with others
-some holes are extremely tight with heavy woods which can frustrate beginners and alienate that type of crowd
-you might get lost on your first time out, print out a map at cdgc.
-noisy noisy noisy
Other Thoughts: Sugaw's most redeeming factor is its variety in shots. When you go to Reedy Creek you play in the woods. Sugaw is a mixture-just like Kilborne. However, my last two times playing here I have become increasingly disillusioned with the course. Sugaw kills my excitement for dg, and its not exactly MY cup of tea, but I would consider it essential to play at least once if you live in the greater Charlotte area.
Memorable holes:
Hole 9: mando between the big trees with the pin well behind some bushy undergrowth. this hole provides a good example of an average Sugaw hole-open yet technical.
10 and 11: both similar grip and rip holes, a nice break from the woods of Charlotte
17: my favorite hole here and one of my favorite in Charlotte, mando left with a sweeping dogleg right means this hole is perfect for sidearms and sweeping anhyzers. Great hole.

good

5+    3/5/2009   3/5/2009
Review By: tspeedb
Pros: very fun and easy to follow. great mix of everything.
Cons: bad part of town but play there alot and never had a problem. they mind there own buisness. police is usually there watching.
Other Thoughts: GREAT COURSE my fav. other than winthrop

Great mix of holes

5+    9/7/2008   2/7/2009
Review By: DiscJunkie
This review was updated on 2/27/2009
Pros: Great variety of shots for the different holes. Well-designed to test all your skills. Every hole is Par 3, so long,accurate drives are a necessity. Because the Front 9 is so tight, you'll need to bring your accuracy. Then the Back 9 is mostly open, you can "air it out" a little. Great mix.
Cons: This course is in a bad part of town. Don't play by yourself. No really long holes.
Other Thoughts: The first nine is mostly tight and wooded. The back nine is mostly open and grassy. Fun to play and you'll probably use all your discs. The woods are mostly open, no water. It's hard to lose your disc, but not impossible.

Urban Disc Golf

1    2/4/2009   2/4/2009
Review By: PanicKJ
This review was updated on 8/13/2010
Pros: Nice Innova Discathers, concrete tees. Easy enough to navigate without a map, just look for the arrows spraypainted on the trees. I believe they just cleared some more trees in the woods as I saw some fresh cut lumber. Nice mix of open and wooded holes. Even on the wooded holes the fairways weren't too tight so it is a good course for all skill levels. Two of the baskets were raised up which added to the challenge a little. All holes were par 3's most about 320-350 so an 18 hole round goes fast.
Cons: The first hole had a tee pad that was actually just a line spraypainted on a preexisting sidewalk. There is really not any significant elevation changes. The worst part is that Sugar Creek Road is four lanes of roaring traffic that you hear on all but 5 of the holes. Not my idea of a good time playing disc golf. The course is actually very nice but because of the loud hwy I will probably never go back. If you do go I would take some earplugs, seriously.
Update: I have played this course again recently in the CAC and at a Club singles event and have to say that the course was much quiter during the weekend. The first time I went it was during rush hour traffic and the noise drove me batty. I would suggest checking it out early saturday or sunday.
Other Thoughts: If you are driving by, maybe on the way home from winthrop or another course you can get a quick 18 in an hour at sugaw. I don't think it is worth the drive to play just that course though unless you live close.

Sugaw

2-4    5/30/2008   1/13/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
Pros: Nice course with a good variety of open and wooded holes. Most of the holes are shorter but there is a few that will let you air it out. Even the short holes are challenging enough to keep the course entertaining.
Cons: There are several fairways that play thru one another. There is also quite a bit of litter and the park as a whole seems kind of shady.
Other Thoughts: This course is definitely worth playing and I would rate much higher if it wasnt for the "enviroment".

Sugaw Creek Park

5+    12/6/2008   12/11/2008
Review By: borndasaur
This review was updated on 3/29/2009
Pros: Course is located in an urban park with lots of amenities. Attended rec center has a gym and rest rooms. Tennis courts, basketball courts, football and baseball fields, playgrounds and picnic shelters are fairly well maintained. There is plenty of parking. If the first lot is full follow the road to the larger back lot.
The course features concrete tee pads, tee box signs, lots of benches and trash cans. Good mix of holes. Heavily wooded holes force accurate shooting, open long holes will test distance for intermediate players. The mandos and other OB areas are clearly marked (roads and sidewalks are also OB). Maps are available on the CharlotteDGC website.
Cons: There need to be more signs directing players from basket to the next tee at some of the holes. There is a lot of litter on the course, some of which is unsanitary. Some of the fairways run close to each other so players should be alert when throwing. Sets of holes to be careful on are: 2,3&8; 6,7; 9,17; 11,16. Errant drives on 14 can come close to the tee on 15. Try to avoid throwing into the underbrush on 12,15 and 16. It is very dense.
Other Thoughts: There are some holes that have directions spray painted on trees. These were directions for a cross-country meet held at the park in the fall of 2008. Although they follow the course in many places they were not intended for the DG course so a they may seem to be misleading. The litter on this course is a real problem even for those of us that try to pick it up while playing casual rounds. This park is not in the best neighborhood in town. I would avoid playing solo here. There has been an increased police presence lately and, hopefully, this will help the situation.

Sugaw Creek Park

1    12/8/2008   12/9/2008
Review By: adlacro
Pros: 18 holes with nice concrete tees. Good mix of mostly wooded holes with some open holes. Length not overpowering. Probably one of the first times I've teed with a tree just 5 feet above my head. Elevated baskets at 6 and 14 provided a unique putting challenge. Bakets were easy to see. Some minor elevation.
Cons: A few of the wooded holes were crapshoots (14 comes to mind), and I thought a few more arrows would have been helpful. I did print a map out.
Other Thoughts: The course, located just half a mile south of I-85, is just 10 minutes from downtown Charlotte. If I was in the area again, I'd certainly be back for another round.

Good Ole Sugaw

5+    11/21/2008   11/29/2008
Review By: governmentthief
Pros: Great variety of holes. About half wooded and half open. Doglegs to the right and left, tunnel shots, mandos, elevated baskets (one in the middle of a freaking tree!), giant disc-eating magnolia trees, a good wide open field shot, and a couple of tight risk/reward birdie holes. Nothing overly long so those that wimp the disc (like me) can still do well, yet tight enough to challenge better players. Well maintained course.
Cons: There seems to be a seedier side of humanity that likes to visit the park. Ive often found empty beer bottles near the tee pad of hole 17 and some crazy looking dudes walking around.
Other Thoughts: While not really a pro or a con, it needs mentioning that the woods/rough on a few holes (8, 10, 15, 16) can eat discs if you throw an errant shot. Watch where they land!