Charlotte, NC
Sugaw Creek Park Share

The Panthers lost, but I won

1    9/13/2009   9/16/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
To explain the title of my review... My buddy asked I wanted to go to a Panthers game. I said, "sure, as long as we can go to a DG course too." The Panthers lost, but I didn't... cuz I got to play Sugaw.

Pros:
- Great mix of shots. Most of the holes are in the 300' range... you have to hit FAIR gaps off the teepad to be successful or else there's lot's of opportunity for punishment… and the hole designs require you to have BH's and FH's combined with accuracy and power.
- Great FAIRways… (i.e. there were no random trees in the middle of the fairway that weren't adding to value of the holes). Every hole had a FAIRway and could easily be birdied if you hit the gaps with the proper shot - (depending on skill level).
- Practically on the freeway. As soon as you get off the freeway (½ mile) you're in the park. And as soon as you enter the park (200') you're in the parking lot and the course is right there.
- Easy Navigation. I printed a map but never once needed to pull it out. There are obvious paths to the next tee-pad and most of the time you can see them. Flows great.
- Overall nice experience. Nice park (for a bad neighborhood according to another review), great golf shots, great tee-pads, signs, baskets, benches, etc…
Cons:
- Only one pin position? It seemed as though there was only one basket position for each hole. The tee-signs didn't mention anything about multiple pin positions and I didn't see any sleeves either. Not necessarily a con for me… but, I don't live in Charlotte and it's not like I play this course every day. If I did, it could become an issue.
- Close to the stadium. We went to a Panthers game and wanted a course we could get to quickly after the game, so we could play while the traffic died down. It worked perfectly.
- I like it. This is the type of course you want to get out of your car and play when you're on a roadtrip (except in the Charlotte area, then there are probably others you want to play more). But, still a great road trip course.
- This was my first Charlotte area course and I am impressed so far. I'm sure it's not the locals favorite course; but, if this course were in about 95% of the other DG cities in America... it would be the best course around.
- My Score: 0 (with 3 bogeys)

Disc golfin' in tha hood!

1    7/22/2009   8/1/2009
Review By: chain-addicted
This review was updated on 3/26/2010
Pros:
*Concrete tee-pads.
*Benches at several holes.
*Trash cans a-plenty.
*Great Variety!

Easy to find your way around. Challenging for the most part. Located close to another great course which is Kilborne TPC.

First 8 holes are mostly wooded, the rest are pretty open.
Cons:
No real elevation change on this course. Seedy/questionable part of town. The road-noise (coming from Sugar Creek Rd.) can be pretty annoying when you are on holes close to that road.

I wasn't too crazy about the elevated basket on hole #6.

Every time I play this course I happen to see "transient/shady character" types of folks just walking around acting like they are up to no good. I played there about a week ago and was just finishing up on hole #2 when I heard what sounded like alot of yelling and a huge commotion coming from the next hole. Turns out it was a couple of ghetto-bums (one was laying on the bench) being heavily intoxicated, arguing over God knows what but just making a LOUD scene.

Plenty of trash on this course as well. Empty/broken beer bottles and used rubbers. It was disappointing.
Holes 3 & 4 are really tough... at least for me they are. I never fail to hit a tree on my drives on these two holes... Be warned!

I would play this course more often on my way to Kilborne if I didn't have fear of getting robbed and left for dead out here in the woods. It might be a good idea to pack some "heat" if you go alone around dusk.

Sugaw Creek Is A Sweet Course!

1    7/19/2009   7/23/2009
This review was updated on 5/25/2012
Pros: Sugaw Creek is another one of the Charlotte courses (Kilbourne, Hornet's Nest, Reedy Creek) that give the disc golfers here a wonderful variety of choices. And I really like Sugaw possibly because it just fits my level, rec to intermediate player. It's fairly short and level with a nice variety of tight, wooded holes to some across the field types. I see players throwing rollers on certain holes here. It has two elevated basket placements, the second is cleverly set in the middle of a small tree. Maybe my favorite thing about this course is many of the interesting teepad placements. I think many course designers focus in so much on the basket placement, they end up just pouring a teebox at any old spot. Here at Sugaw, the designer of the course obviously gave a lot of thought to the locations of the tee boxes.
Cons: I guess I was pretty oblivious to many of the other reviewers cons. I actually didn't notice the neighborhood was shady. I don't remember seeing any trash to speak of. The holes near the street don't bother me. Quite the opposite actually, I think it's great advertising to our sport when folks drive by and see us throwing discs in the park. I guess to me Sugaw is like that special girl you first meet. You're so taken in by her beautiful face that you didn't notice that her behind is the size of Deleware.
Other Thoughts: Even though the course pretty much abused me, this has been one of my favorite N.C. courses. Just a nice enjoyable throw in a lovely park. Challenging to me but not so overwhelming as to totally discourage me. Another Charlotte course that I'd like to package up and take home.

What can I say? It's Sugaw!

5+    7/9/2009   7/11/2009
Review By: bettsjc
This review was updated on 2/18/2011
Pros: Sugaw Creek's layout is excellent, and very well thought out. Sugaw makes great use of the land its got, offering a very nice variety. A good mix of holes that slightly favors LHBH and RHFH throwers.

Tee pads are concrete and in excellent condition with superb grip, even in the wettest of conditions. Very nice tee signs at every hole, with map, par and distance of each hole. Baskets in excellent condition. Baskets, tees and signs are very well maintained. Thank you CharlotteDGC!!

Tight fairways on the front, open bombs and ace runs on the back. Mandos come into play on #9 and 17, and plenty of OB.
Cons: One negative about the course is where it is located. Wouldn't call it the "worst" area, but close to it. In some areas it's obvious that people actually call the park their home, with some interesting litter in some of the wooded parts of the course, but overall not too bad. Definatly would not play this course after dark.

Holes #2 and #6-10 are in close proximity to a heavily travelled road, which can be distracting around rush hour.
Other Thoughts: Sugaw Creek offers an interesting mix of open, moderately wooded and heavily wooded holes. This course will test your precision and accuracy.

There is a uniqueness to the course, seen on hole #6, with an elevated basket, which stands over 9' tall, and #14, which is an elevated basket "within" a tree which can be extremely challanging. Trademarks of good ol' Sugaw!

The course gets its share of use, but hardly ever overcrowded. It's not often that you will wait on someone to play on this course.

Trash cans/recycle cans at most holes, and benches at about half. Recreation center on site, which offers clean restrooms. Receptionist at the desk has a good supply of course maps, which is only necessary on a couple of holes, as the course is pretty easy to navigate, in general. Park also equipped with well kept tennis courts, indoor gymnasium and outdoor basketball courts(maybe the nicest outdoor courts I have ever seen). Overall, a very good course in the Charlotte area, located very close to Kilborne TPC, Eastway Park and Reedy Creek Park. You could literally make a day of DG in this little area.
Sugaw Creek is designed for the beginner-intermediate DGer. No need for the big guns on this course, where the longest hole is just over 380' and average around 290'-300'. Bring your accurate game and give Sugaw a try!

Favorite Holes: 11, 15

Least Favorite: 3, 5

Good Course

2-4    5/23/2009   5/29/2009
Review By: sloshed
Pros: Good signage
Good wooded/open
Fair Risk Reward
Course in great condition
Cons: Setting is not that pretty
Is in bad part of town
No elevation changes
Other Thoughts: My wife and i play this one usually when we are in the area and like it. It is a decent course. Would recomend it.

5+    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: honeycu4
Pros: Not to long but not to short. Majority of the holes are between 250' - 350' so provides nice birdie chances. For me plays much harder than it should. Usually find myself getting a three on almost every hole. Mix of open and wooded holes. Never very crowded.
Cons: The holes are all kind of the same. 300' and straight. Not very many doglegs and no multi-shot holes.

Variety

5+    4/28/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: JD Heel
Pros: - This course has great variety, as others have mentioned. You will get tested every time you play it.

- Along with the variety, the Sugaw designers did a great job with basket placement. The baskets are positioned to test your accuracy. In particular, I think of holes like #10, #12, #13, #14, and #18 where the basket placement comes into play.

- I like that the mandos are reasonable. Many courses have crazy mandos that seem forced, but the ones at Sugaw make a lot of sense.

- Sugaw's trees and other obstacles really test your accuracy. This is a weakness in my game, and no matter how many times I play Sugaw, it always gets me one way or another. But, you have to appreciate that.

- Tees and baskets are in good condition, and there is a practice basket next to the parking lot.
Cons: - As others have said, that isn't the best part of Charlotte. Sugaw is close to the Hidden Valley neighborhood that has been a crime haven in the past. The good news is that the Hidden Valley community has been cleaned up a lot in the past couple of years, and that helps the surrounding areas like Sugaw. And, personally, I've played here 7 times and have never had a problem.

- Trash is always an issue. It's worse in the wooded areas, as you can find all kinds of goodies deep into the woods. I've seen toilets, shopping carts, used condoms, etc.
Other Thoughts: - Unlike most courses that have a front nine and back nine, Sugaw has more of a front eight and back ten. The first 8 holes are to the left of the road that you drive in on, and 9-18 are to the right. (Actually, #1 is technically to the right of the road too, but it's still closer in proximity to holes 2-8.)

- If you're a RHBH thrower like me, your drive on #2 has the potential to end up in the fairway for #8 to the left. It really tests your ability to throw straight.

- #6 is a raised basket that makes it easy to misjudge the distance and sail an approach shot by. Be careful to take that into account if you can't get near the basket with your drive.

- The course always seems to have a fair amount of traffic, but I don't remember ever having to wait too long on anyone.

B+ = Be too long for me to fully enjoy

5+    12/29/2008   4/26/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A (Use of innovative hole shaping and OB is superb!)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B (There are 10 holes that I can birdie, but 7-8 that are a little too long for my arm. I throw accurately to 300'. 330' max but with much less accuracy. That makes those holes quite boring as a 2 is not realistic to hope for, a 3 routine and a 4 very frustrating. If I had 30-50' extra I would give a grade of A.)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A (Great variety of shots required - as good as it gets for a flat par-3 course. Maybe slightly too many lefty holes.)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B- (Not so pretty, but there a few pretty spots. Hole 5 might be the prettiest.)
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- NA
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

short yet technical

5+    9/21/2009   4/7/2009
Review By: skamasterhenrik
This review was updated on 10/23/2009
Pros: -You will use a variety of shots here: grip and rip, precision mids, and tricky putting
-Offers a decent chance at a solid score without being too easy
-Variety in the holes, most wooded but some open to open"ish"
Cons: -sketchy part of town, play with others
-some holes are extremely tight with heavy woods which can frustrate beginners and alienate that type of crowd
-you might get lost on your first time out, print out a map at cdgc.
-noisy noisy noisy
Other Thoughts: Sugaw's most redeeming factor is its variety in shots. When you go to Reedy Creek you play in the woods. Sugaw is a mixture-just like Kilborne. However, my last two times playing here I have become increasingly disillusioned with the course. Sugaw kills my excitement for dg, and its not exactly MY cup of tea, but I would consider it essential to play at least once if you live in the greater Charlotte area.
Memorable holes:
Hole 9: mando between the big trees with the pin well behind some bushy undergrowth. this hole provides a good example of an average Sugaw hole-open yet technical.
10 and 11: both similar grip and rip holes, a nice break from the woods of Charlotte
17: my favorite hole here and one of my favorite in Charlotte, mando left with a sweeping dogleg right means this hole is perfect for sidearms and sweeping anhyzers. Great hole.

good

5+    3/5/2009   3/5/2009
Review By: tspeedb
Pros: very fun and easy to follow. great mix of everything.
Cons: bad part of town but play there alot and never had a problem. they mind there own buisness. police is usually there watching.
Other Thoughts: GREAT COURSE my fav. other than winthrop