Stockholm, Kista, Sweden
Järva Discgolf Park Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #17 (Taken 6/2012)

Järva DGP

5+    10/19/2014   10/22/2014
Review By: MegaNiklas
Pros: Im pretty new to discgolf, been playing for about one and a half years. I´ve been around abit and played maybe a total of 10 courses and this one is like none other. I live nearby so me and my friends have been playing this course maybe once or twice a day in the summer and about 4-5 times a week besides that. The course is great and very well maintained by one who work on the course full time, so you can imagine the quality.

- Varied holes with both long and short holes. Mostly par 3 but a couple of par 4 aswell.
- Beautiful environment
- Many different settings around the course,
- Different tees on some holes
- Dirrefent basket placement depending on which month you´re there. Currently 3 different basket placements are available, yellow, green and blue. The current one used are shown in the kiosk where you pay
- Kiosk with food and snacks
- Innova DiscGolf store with plenty of disks, bags, cloths and even baskets
Cons: Some people argue that the cost is a con, however if you want a course as well maintained as this one, with personell working full time, you have to pay up. If you live nearby just buy the seasoncard for 900 SEK.
Other Thoughts: According to myself, my friends and pros playing the master this year (2014) this is one of the best courses you can play on, not only in Europe but also in the US. It feels like a regular ball golf course of high standards.

Major Course for major Tournament

5+    7/20/2014   10/22/2014
Review By: luma
Pros: I know everyone has their own opinion about how a Discgolf Course should be and I know that there are discussions going over hundreds of thread pages about which is better. I have my own opinion about what is good and that's what I will write here...:
- The holes are awesome. I played the major here, but I had the chance of playing the normal course as well, and they are not a lot worse than the major holes. Lot of them are the same. I like the Par 4-way of playing. I don't like a Par 3 course where you only have to hit the line of the tee and that's it. On this course, you have to place your tee shot, think about how to place it, where to place it. Do you take the risk of the tee and try to set you up with an easier approach, or do you go safe and go for the par or a more difficult approach for birdie. That is golf to me. And after all it is discGOLF, not just discinbasket.
- The par 3s were also very nice. For the masters we mostly had the long par 3s in it, but the shorter ones also make for a nice challenge
- The holes are all fair. I don't like having a hole where you might have a 5' gap to hit, but like 20 3' get-lucky-lines if you miss your shot. So if you hit the line and have bad luck you might be worse than a horrible throw getting lucky. You will not have this here (except for very very few occasions). The fairways air fairly wide and you don't have to hit it perfect to stay on them. solid yes, but not super perfect. If you go off the fairways though, you have very dense birch trees. You can still throw out but either with a huge lot of skill or just 50' back to the fairway.
- which brings us to the next point...you have rough, yes. But only on very few places on the course where you shouldn't really throw to. I played with some freinds and one lost a disc but only because of a very bad throw plus a very very unlucky kick off a tree. Except for that, everything was perfectly cleaned out and there was always one guy driving around with a mower.
- the tee pads are awesome. best tee pads that you will find. Only problem I see is that if you run up a little diagonally, they might be not wide enough. But hey, I run up straight so for me they were perfect :-)
- multiple pin positions and tees. if you bring friends and they dont throw just as good as you do, let them play from the easier tees so some really difficult Par 4s become easier Par 3s. The different pin positions are also quite nice, even though I only played the tough ones for the masters
- if the local restaurant near the first tee is open, make sure to eat some in there. Sweden was pretty expensive, but some fries and/or a burger in there was fine. Also a very nicely kept, clean little clubhouse which is definately a bonus
Cons: - certainly the biggest con is the pay2play for most of the players, I didn't have to pay, but I would consider it as "con"
- another con is that you can't get here by public transportation. at least I couldn't. I was staying at the welcome hotel and always had a 20 minute walk to there every day. There is no train station closer and I think also no bus stop so make sure you go here by car
Other Thoughts: Jus tthe other day I say that discussion coming up on facebook about pay2play vs free2play. I think it's up to everyone's opinion, but mine is, that if you get a cours elike this to play, I would soooo certainly pay for it. Plus as a local you can get a year's pass, so it's not that expensive after all. If you want to be a member in other sports facilities, you also have to pay.
If you're european and have the chance, make sure you come and play the european masters. It is such an awesome event. Until now certainly the discgolf experience of my life :-)

Great course but costly

1    6/22/2014   6/22/2014
Review By: heywillard90
Pros: -Very fancy disc golf with perfect baskets, teepads and maps
-excellent terrain with many hills and scenic Nordic flora
-many holes have meticulously crafted fairways dotted with trees here and there, and clever placement of the basket
-course is kept up exceptionally well like a ball golf course would be
-there is consistent use of ob for added challenge
-easy to get to for a tourist without a car (take the subway)
Cons: -It was a good course, but I don't feel like it is worth 60 kronor. To me that is a lot of money to play a game that is usually free in public parks
-the front nine has a handful of "par 2" holes that are short with few obstacles. Any great course should be devoid of these types of holes. They are a waste of time.
-some long walks between holes
Other Thoughts: Disc golf is largely a non-invasive game that can be integrated into any outdoor setting without altering the landscape. This course is a big exception. The land is completely dedicated to the sport in the way that the fairways are mowed and the trees are planted. It is not necessarily a good or bad thing, but definitely something I noticed. Indeed järva is a very good course, but if I lived in stockholm I would opt for a free course even if it was not as elaborate.

Sweden in April!

1    4/19/2014   4/22/2014
Review By: lavon_andy
This review was updated on 4/28/2014
Pros:
Nice variety of distance shots
Plays in a mostly park setting (meaning incredibly well manicured but with less trees then some courses)
Good use of elevation to create risk/reward shots (in place of water)
Additionally man made obstacles and OB lines add some extra challenge to short holes
Teepads are all AstroTurf covered wood which is surprisingly nice (coming from a primarily concrete teepad area this surprised me)
Baskets are all in very good shape and catch well
Multiple Tee locations that are moved throughout the year
Next tee badges are located on the bottom of every basket
Upon paying the 60 SEK green fees you can pick up a map (quite useful)

Additional the area the course is in is fiarly easy to get to via public transit and has some awesome views from on top of the hills (also on hole 2 we saw a deer grazing in the fairway, which was pretty unexpected)
Driving range with 3 teepads is very nice for warming up
On the other side of the Cafe there's multiple practice baskets for putting and additional warm ups
The cafe itself shares the building with the proshop and also has the bathrooms, we did not eat at the Cafe but having something on site to grab a bite is definitely a plus

The flow of the course puts #1, #10, and #19 teepads near the cafe (meaning every 9 holes you loop back to the cafe area, which is a huge plus when playing with your pregnant wife who may need to use the facilities)

Overall this is an excellent course if you are in the Stockholm, Sweden area and compares very well to some of the top 10 courses I've played back in the U.S.
Cons:
Some people may dislike the lack of water shots forcing some extra risk/reward type play.
Alot of holes are predominately Hyzer lines (RHBH)
There are not long tees on every hole
Additional signage between #6 and #7 would be helpful as it is a little bit of a walk
Benches on every tee would also be useful, especially during a tournament
This course is pay to play, 60 SEK for 27 holes (at the time of this writing that's roughly $8 USD) price is comparable to other P2P courses.

Getting to the course can be accomplished by car or T-Bana (subway).

Via T-Bana take the blue line to Hjulsta, get off and walk northeast through the apartment complex until you see the main road (Hjulstavagen), there is a footbridge that goes over this road, you will need to find the correct trail to take you to the bridge and then cross the bridge. After crossing the bridge follow the gravel/dirt road to the right (East) until you come upon the DG course (#9 is the first hole you will see). Proceed up the gravel road past that to the larger building past the parking lot, there you will find the proshop (where you check in) as well as the Cafe and restrooms.

Important for foreigners (like myself): most of the staff and fellow disc golfers speak English, however they may assume you speak Swedish at first.

1    8/1/2009   12/11/2009
Review By: Janbobbo
Pros: -Very well maintained course in a beautiful park like environment.
- The club house contains a good pro shop and a restaurant with good food, perfect after a long round of disc golf!
- Most holes contain some elevation changes and some of them are rather spectacular.
- Most holes gives you a good challenge.
- I can't think of a signature hole since there appears to be atleast 5 of them!
Cons: - Some of the shorter holes feel a little too open to be a reasonable challenge in my opinion.
- Lacks some extra long holes in the par 5-range.
Other Thoughts: I've only played this course once and not being used to such elevation changes I had a habit of throwing too far past the basket or landing area and into a downhill rough losing several strokes! Although frustrating that adds a nice feature to disc golf! Järva Discgolf Park is a great disc golf facility and together with Discgolf Terminalen in Skellefteå they take course design, maintenance and service to a new level.