Athens, TX
Cain Park Share
Uploaded By: chalos13 Hole #16 (Taken 11/2009)

A solid course

1    10/13/2011   10/22/2011
Review By: adamlamar
Pros: A full 18 holes that make use of the available park and keeps the shots interesting. Not the most challenging course, but still makes you pull most of the shots out of your bag. The holes along water don't really ever put you in danger, but they're just close enough to put thoughts of wet shoes and lost discs in your head.
Cons: I would have liked to see a longer shot off the top of the hill, but everything else was satisfactory ... well, everything except the "swampy" end of the fairway on 18.
Other Thoughts: Some of the signage was a bit weathered, but overall, the course was in pretty good shape.

Low rating is not justified

5+    7/16/2011   7/19/2011
Review By: MarkFLTRI
Pros: 1) Clean and well maintained park with little or no trash or graffiti.
2) Friendly locals.
3) Nice mix of shots. Tight fairways on holes 1, 2, 3, 5 & 6.
4) Epic hole is #16. A tight, low ceiling downhill shot. A birdie on this hole is very possible, but must be earned.
5) Hole 13 is another tough hole if playing for a birdie because of the large tree blocking the basket and the pond just beyond the basket.
Cons: 1) It's the only course in Athens.
2) Old baskets (locals keep them because it adds to the originality of the course.
3) I understand why the layout on the back could be problematic if the course were crowded.
4) Not much else to complain about here.
Other Thoughts: I've been playing regularly for 2 years and have played 50 courses in Texas and Oklahoma. The low average rating for this course is a surprise to me. I live in the DFW area and always include this course as a must play when I visit Tyler 30 miles away. If you can finish this course under par, you might have room to complain. If not, you should be able to enjoy what this course has to offer.

1    2/21/2011   2/21/2011
Review By: coolpooky7
Pros: The front 9 is fun and it looks like they plan to add some more tee boxes. So it should hopefully get better.
Cons: The back nine become very monotonous. Just throw back and forth and no real challenge. I am sure I will be back to play again but not unless I get to car pool with people or unless I am driving through.

My first

1    11/26/2010   11/26/2010
Review By: philguard
Pros: Great start with holes 1 - 3 and 5 - 9 (all through the woods) Even 4 is a nice open ace attempt. Tee signs give you a pretty decent idea of what to expect on each hole even if the info isn't 100% accurate. Course starts and ends on the Rec Center parking lot, so if you know where you're going it's very convenient. Wood holes are tight but it's easy to find your discs that land off the fairway if you willing to deal with a few thorny vines.
Cons: The back nine is just terrible and really needs to be reworked. 10 - 16 are stacked up in an open field with a couple of trees. Baskets and tee boxes that are all tightly packed make this part of the course really confusing. Should you be playing on a busy day keep an eye out for discs in this area.
Other Thoughts: This was a course I went out and played 7 or 8 years ago and didn't enjoy enough to keep playing. I enjoyed the first half of it a lot today but the second half is awful. If you're in the Ceder Creek area this seems to be the closest place to play but I would just play it as a 9 hole course and avoid the back nine all together.

It Ainít Greece, But Itís Better Than Nuthiní.

1    6/2/2010   6/4/2010
Review By: Donovan
Pros: This is a well-maintained course with woods, wide-open holes, water, OB, mandos, and a few fairway trees. The wooded holes are tight fairways with dense trouble anywhere off the fairway. The mandos and OB's are all fair and justified. The water is mossy, black, and the bottom was not visible. The shots over or around the water can be navigated to minimize the risk for beginners. Experienced players will not have a problem with it however. The wide-open holes are not bad and the holes with a few trees seem to have the trees in good locations. There are a few trashcans along the way and there are bathrooms inside the Cain Center.
Cons: There are tee signs on every hole, but the information is not that accurate on many of them. The tee pads are grass/dirt/sidewalk mixture. The dirt and grass ones are not in that great of shape. Some footing can be difficult. The layout for half of the course is not well laid out. By this I mean that there are a few holes that run side by side and face each other forcing you to watch out for other golfers. There is one hole that makes you back track most of that hole to get the next tee (basket 10 to Tee 11). Hole 17 actually plays through hole 18 tee. So as I said, the layout is not the most logical for about half of the course. Most of the par 4's are a bit short to be 4's. This is not necessarily a negative, but wanted to mention it.
Other Thoughts: The GPS coordinates on the course page are now set to the parking area right in front of hole #1. So finding it should be much easier than in the past. The Fun Factor was just barely ok for me. I liked the wooded holes, but the rest of the course was kind of boring. This is not an overly challenging course. It is great to see such an old course still getting some use, but it just isn't anything I would make to long drive to play. On the other side, I think it is great that Athens has kept it in the ground and has kept the park well maintained.

1    4/20/2010   4/20/2010
Review By: SWAD44
Pros: Great area. Kept Clean. great hole variety. A lot of the holes cut directly through the woods leaving you with only a little bit of room to make mistakes, while others are placed directly in a an open field. Water even comes into play occasionally.
Cons: Discs can be hard to find and/or get to if thrown into the brush, but that can really happen anywhere with thick woods.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth playing if in or around Athens

Kinda letdown...

1    3/27/2010   3/27/2010
Review By: Goat Boy
Pros: Short holes that lead to birdie ops. Some pretty scenery. Quite a few benches. Not overly crowded. Nice mix of holes that force you to throw both hyzer and annys.
Cons: Dirt pads, bad signs, baskets seem lower than most others I've played. NASTY water in the pond. If your disc goes in, bye bye. Course was VERY muddy when I went. If you play a few days after it rains, expect it to still be muddy.
Other Thoughts: I would say that the course isn't too terrible for Athens, but save yourself the trip if you live 30 minutes or more away. If you do wish to go play this course, turn on East on Loyola (just North of the main Cain Center entrance on Hwy 19). The second entrance that will take you to the parking lot right by Hole 1 is about 1/4 mile down on the right... there is a big sign, can't miss it.

Underrated

5+    12/27/2009   1/23/2010
Review By: Roc1Time
Pros: This course is very fun and makes good use of the land that it is on. I love the east texas feel of the pine trees and sandy soil. Ths course has a little of everything and plays pretty level for the righty and lefty. The front is in the woods for the most part making an accurate shot key or you could find yourself in trouble. The back is pretty open but there are some fun shots out there as well. The baskets are old but still get the job done. Never rely busy so you can play at your own pace and not have to be rushed or rush anyone else.
Cons: The tee signs are pretty much worthless because they are badly worn. Can get very muddy in areas. Not alot of elevation making it a little boring. The water is nasty and an plastic in there is probably gone, although I found a disc of mine that I lost over a year ago in the same spot.
Other Thoughts: I enjoy this course for what it is and for what I get there. I wish there were more things around here so I could play more often but its hard to justify just driving down here. It is a great course though if you find yourself within range.

Nice city park

1    12/22/2009   12/22/2009
Review By: NDABRUSH
Pros: Wooded and open holes. Beautiful course to look at, especially the back 9. The 1st 8 holes are wooded with a creek in play on hole 1 which is a straight shot. The rest of the front 8 consists of mostly annys but all are technical. Well defined fairways on the wooded holes. Off the fairway is a different story. Well maintained except for the old signs. Beginner friendly. There were park workers fixing erosion problems from flooding on the back 9. 10 workers were going at it fixing this course. I was having a little trouble finding hole 9 so I asked what I thought was a father and his 2 kids. I said excuse me, can you tell me where hole 9 is. The guy said that he had never been here. The boy (about age 6 or 7) lead me right to it. A 1st grader and his little sister dragging their "babysitter" to the course. Now those are some young addicts.
Cons: Not really hard but a little challenging for a rec player like me. Not long. The back 9 would be a little boring for pro level golfers. Finding hole 1 is tricky if you go into wrong entrance.
Other Thoughts: For a city park it is pretty good. I was not able to play about 3 holes of the back 9 because there was a group of park workers fixing the flood/erosion problems. My favorite hole was 16 and is the only hole where any kind of major elevation comes into play. A downhill par 3 that is an empty the bagger. Enjoy Cain Park, but don't drive too far just to play it alone..

Intermediate

1    11/30/2009   10/14/2009
Review By: chalos13
This review was updated on 10/14/2010
Pros: Excellent variation of shots here. they really mad the most of what the had to work with. Tight fairways through the woods on the front nine, very open on the back, reversed from most of the courses I've seen. Navigation was fairly easy, the layout makes sense to me. Several par 4s that are good to par, rewarding to birdie. I never thought I'd bogey a 268 foot par 4.
Cons: went after a rain, so lots of mud. They didn't make good use of the pond in my opinion, Some holes by the water, but none over. hole one was a little hard to find, 2 entrances to the park. If it looks like you're at the front of the cain center, you are at the wrong entrance.
Other Thoughts: Probably the first course I've played that I would call intermediate. This was a very fun challenge. I've played challenging courses, and I've played fun. This was one of the few that is both. Met a very friendly local who helped us navigate, told us about mini's, etc. PLAY THIS COURSE if you are close to it, I'd recommend it all day long