East Troy, WI
East Troy Middle School Share

Good thought, poor execution

1    5/8/2010   5/24/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays around the flat grassy fields of a small town middle school. The holes play across nicely manicured grass and around the outside of baseball fields. The baseball fence comes into play on one hole, it tempts you to cut the corner but you may end up out of bounds if you don't make it back over.

The tees are marked with numbered boards in the ground, and the bare tee spots are all visible from the previous basket. The layout is intuitive and easy to follow, there are no questions about where to go next or where to throw on any holes. I love that there is a course at the school that's very visible and probably exposes a lot of people to the sport.
Cons: The course is pretty boring and wide open. Most of the holes are easy ace runs with a putter, and have absolutely no obstacles. A couple holes have some real length, but are still wide open, which would seem to be a very frustrating type of hole for beginning players, especially younger kids. All the holes are open enough that it doesn't matter what kind of shot you throw, so it won't teach many different skills to play here.

The course begins and ends at opposite sides of the school, so it's a long walk back to your car or to play another round (though the layout is basically identical to play backward if you're going to play 18 anyway). The tees are natural, and are basically worn down depressions in the grass that don't provide a great surface to tee from and would be very muddy after a rain. There are no distance markers on any of the holes.
Other Thoughts: This course really doesn't have much going for it other than the fact that it exposes kids and the community to disc golf just by existing. It's an ok layout to try disc golf for the first time, except for the holes that are way too long for that kind of course. More experienced players won't find any challenge or interest here. It's not worth a stop unless you have a need to check it off your list, so don't feel bad about driving on by.

D Grade = Dud

1    6/3/2009   6/24/2009
Pros: Like all elementary & middle school courses, this one is not designed to cater to real disc golfers, but rather to kids in a gym class. I applaud that heartily and wish there were tons more schools with disc golf baskets so that more people could learn about the great (and greatly fun) recreational and/or competitive pursuit that DG is.

Unfortunately, I grade courses against other real courses that are out there. Here is what I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == D
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == D+ (Distances are decent)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == D (or lower)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == D
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == D (2 of 9 holes are real two throw holes for me - a decent ratio. They are not long enough to make a birdie 3 rewarding, however.)

DON'T BOTHER!!!!!!

2-4    5/9/2009   5/10/2009
Review By: Seananagins
Pros: The baskets themselves are top of the line. Pitty they couldn't find a better location in that crumby little town.
Cons: No obsticals other than a baseball fence,
A bunch of corn fed hicks running around.
Other Thoughts: How come my school didn't have a frolf course? Even if it was a weak one, it would still have been awesome. Those kids are lucky.