Sacramento, CA
John Mackey Park Share
Uploaded By: 100Birds2Squirrels Hole #5 (Taken 4/2010)

Small but fun

1    10/22/2014   10/23/2014
Review By: DBGtony
Pros: -Course board had a good map. (took a pic as reference).
-OBs had access to get lost discs for the most part.
-They have placed lots of dead trees around to add to course but not so much that your afraid to reach in to retrieve your disc.
-They put up some fencing on the back to add to difficulty a bit, the first round it is hard to see.
Cons: -Parking isn't very good.
-I went during a very dry season/year so the ground was hard as concrete and not much grass. (maybe a lot better other seasons)
-There were lots of "world wonderers" on the course constantly walking around and riding bikes but they seem to respect the rules and pause for throws.
-A few holes were in a funny order but I watched some locals just jump to the hole that was closer. (6-8 I think)
Other Thoughts: Really good course for a quick niner. Wasn't too crowded that day but watch for track jumpers crossing into the course.

Seasonal Changes

5+    9/13/2013   2/7/2014
Review By: elvenschool
Pros: Seasonal changes in the vegetation adjusts the challenge as the year progresses -- easier in winter, harder in summer, when all the trees and bushes are fully leafed.
Cons: Thick pants can be essential when the weeds are about, as stickers abound.
Other Thoughts: Well-planned course layout, making best use possible of a compact location. Trees come into play wherever they can, and designers used what little elevation is available. Good for a quick nine, as it's seldom busy.

Meh.

1    2/21/2012   2/21/2012
Review By: Speedly
This review was updated on 5/26/2012
Pros: - A variety of long and short holes. I think I threw all but my Firebird on this course.
- Good signage, concrete teepads.
- Some interesting pin locations. One is up on a hill in a hidden spot, another is right in the nook of a gnarl of trees, very hard to get to.
Cons: - Landscape pretty barren.
- Although nothing happened, the fact that the course is around a playground makes me nervous for the kids.
- Directly next to pretty active train tracks.
- I swear, I've never picked up so many stickers in my shoes as I did in one round at this place. =P
- I don't think the distances listed on some of the holes are accurate. I could be wrong, though.
Other Thoughts: The train tracks are a big annoyance, although they were there first. The lightrails don't make all that much noise, but the freight train that rolled through was pretty loud. I can't imagine living there, those poor people must be insane with the sleep deprivation. While I had no incidents, I saw someone toss one into the train area. Not only is it a possibility to lose plastic, but venturing into an active train area is dangerous!

A poor candidate for night golf, I think. Lots of deep squirrel holes, and not in the best of neighborhoods.

Overall, not a bad course, but not my favorite either. Something about this place rubs me the wrong way, but I can see how locals would flock here.

I wish the course the best of luck in the future.

Update: Score bumped up and comments changed.

1    5/1/2009   5/7/2010
Review By: trevorchreid
Pros: -Nice tee pads
-Good place to practice your long game
-Has a few trees that come into play
-Has a little bit of elevation change
Cons: -Couse design is lacking a little bit. Thought designers could have made better use of the little bit of elevation change and vegetation that is there.
-Mainly long straight holes
-One of the holes has a rather large fence that rungs along the side of it
-fairly boring
Other Thoughts: -This is really the only decent course in Sac proper. Sacramento really needs an upgrade. I think a great place for a course would be somewhere along the American River Parkway around Discovery Park area.

Nice 9 hole good location

5+    10/12/2008   10/29/2008
Review By: J.Koeberlein
This review was updated on 12/14/2008
Pros: Good course for beginners not many obstacles but enough challenges to make it fun. Can be played fairly fast and it's open enough to play at night! We played a night game there with battery lanterns to light the pins and our BlackJax lightup disks. What a hoot. Playground for the kids. The water is working now, don't count on it though.
Cons: The ground is still a little rough and has ankle eating holes, watch your step. The railroad can be a problem on two holes. Don't get caught crossing the fence to retrieve your disk, you may get a ticket. Early summer you will find not just some stickers but all of them. There are no bathrooms or water. (there is a fountain but it never works.) There is a drainage ditch across the pathway to the first pin.
Other Thoughts: Nothing special but a nice course. We can easily play three rounds after work and though we end up playing the last two pins in the dark the course is open enough that it's not a problem. Bring water in hot weather.