Sacramento, CA
John Mackey Park Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #5 (Taken 4/2010)

Decent creatively planned course

1    10/21/2013   10/22/2013
Review By: Mr_Limo
Pros: Creative layout in a small neighborhood park. Good use of the area.
Cons: Dusty in the summer. Nice open course, different from my home courses near the coast.
Other Thoughts: Decent little 9 hole course tucked in between a couple of neighborhood streets and some train tracks. Course was dry and barren when I played, but it's early fall and the rains have yet to start to fall. Really creative use of the space, since it's very limited. Short to medium-long distance holes are mostly straight, with a couple of Mando's around some large gnarly oaks. I'll go back when I'm in the area.

Home To Some Gnarly Oaks!

1    8/26/2012   10/9/2012
Pros: I had a difficult time finding John Mackey Park, once I finally stumbled upon it, I was pleased with the course. The park was parched dry and brown in mid-August but I understand it greens up rather nicely during other months of the year. Also, you can tell it's green from the pics. The park utilizes a piece of land sitting between a busy street and electric train tracks. The triangle shaped piece of property was probably an eyesore before the course was put in.
The course features Mach 3 baskets, concrete teepads, basic fiberglass tee signs, garbage cans, benches, and a water fountain.

The main obstacles on the course are mature Oak trees some of which are quite gnarly and bent. One of these makes up the designing feature of what I feel is the signature hole on the course, # 6. It's just 264', slightly downhill, but it's the basket placement tucked into this large, gnarly, uprooted Oak which really defines the hole. It also happens to be an interesting ACE run, too.

The course has just enough elevation to make things interestings and OB on # 1 and # 7 add to their challenges.

There were lots of groups on the course when I played including many more couples than I'm used to seeing. Nice to see that.
Cons: The course was not very pleasing to look at here in August, just kinda brown and desolate looking but I hear it greens up during the wetter months.
It might be a little too open for some people's tastes.
Other Thoughts: Popular course utilizing an otherwise wasted piece of property. I loved seeing the couples out playing. Unforunately my wife throws like a girl!
This course is just long enough, has just enough challenge, has just enough amentities to be the nice little course that it is.

My only question is, "Is this course named after the old Baltimore Colts Tight End, John Mackey?" I seem to recall him being from Sacramento.

Sacramento desert

1    6/16/2012   6/23/2012
Review By: swampdisk
Pros: -long and short holes
-easy to navigate
-cement tee pads
-newer baskets
Cons: -HOT!
-hole 7 and the train tracks
Other Thoughts: This is a good 9-hole course. I wouldn't recommend this to new players on the fact that there are more 350'+ holes than short. I think its hole 7 that is next to the train tracks that if u shank you have to find a hole in the fence.

Good course!

1    3/30/2012   3/30/2012
Review By: kwmowery
Pros: Good use of space...I showed up and thought the holes would be on top of each other...I was surprised with the layout...
can't remember, but I think it was the 6th hole is the orange pole in the corner...
Cons: next to train tracks...and it always happens...when it is in the back of your mind....it usually goes that direction...ask those that were with me...

Parking could be better...
As for the neighborhood...I would not be afraid of any one breaking into my vehicle during the day. I did however have my motorcycle and was a bit skeptical that some one could stroll by and take what ever they wanted out of my saddle bags...
Other Thoughts: could be in a better part of the world...but could also be in a worse place...out of all the ones in Sacramento, this one is up there as a go-to-disc golf course. I will play again and bring a few friends that are avid player in the hills for sure.

While playing a random person on a horse just strolled through...we all looked at each other and then went on to the next hole.

The Mack in Sac

1    9/28/2011   9/30/2011
Review By: elton807
Pros: I love the use of what would otherwise be wasted land near a freeway on ramp. This is a legit bombs away 9-hole course, that plays in less than an hour. Love the fact that it's DG only space, other than the nearby playground.
Cons: Hot & dry. All the grass was browned out & dead. I bet late spring/early summer would be the ideal time to play here.
Other Thoughts: This course is quite comparable to Hellyer Park in San Jose, except flatter with less trees.
=================
Uniqueness: B+ (great use of land; dedicated; near live trains)
Difficulty: B (longish; mild elavation changes)
Fun Factor: B+ (variety of drives required; bombs away)
Aesthetics: B- (could be cleaner; played during brown/dried-out season)
---------------------
Overall: B+

HEADWINDS

5+    5/2/2011   5/3/2011
Review By: sactoduck916
Pros: Very fun course for beginners and seasoned players as well. Good friendly crowd ( Locals ) . Monday doubles are great. A extra hole known as 5.5 , so 10 total holes.....
Cons: Not to many. At this point the grass is tall in area's and you could find yoursef looking for a minute if you dont watch where it comes down. Stickers Galore in your sox but i can deal with that. Can be windy at time, but like the wind out there
Other Thoughts: For those who may not have played Mackey ( aka: Marconi ) its a great course with good pace of play. Come out monday's @ 6pm and play random doubles, cards are drawn to match up pairs. oddman if numbes dont jive

Little hideout.

4/9/2008   4/13/2008
Review By: kevin
Pros: An open area with obstacles to improve your skills on. Sheltered by the wind. Right off the freeway. Worth a stop.
Cons: If they only had more space.