Sacramento, CA
John Mackey Park Share
Uploaded By: 100Birds2Squirrels Hole #8 (Taken 4/2010)
Hole #8 Mid-Fairway

< Prev 1 2 3
Small but fun

1    10/22/2014   10/23/2014
Review By: DBGtony
Pros: -Course board had a good map. (took a pic as reference).
-OBs had access to get lost discs for the most part.
-They have placed lots of dead trees around to add to course but not so much that your afraid to reach in to retrieve your disc.
-They put up some fencing on the back to add to difficulty a bit, the first round it is hard to see.
Cons: -Parking isn't very good.
-I went during a very dry season/year so the ground was hard as concrete and not much grass. (maybe a lot better other seasons)
-There were lots of "world wonderers" on the course constantly walking around and riding bikes but they seem to respect the rules and pause for throws.
-A few holes were in a funny order but I watched some locals just jump to the hole that was closer. (6-8 I think)
Other Thoughts: Really good course for a quick niner. Wasn't too crowded that day but watch for track jumpers crossing into the course.

Seasonal Changes

5+    9/13/2013   2/7/2014
Review By: elvenschool
Pros: Seasonal changes in the vegetation adjusts the challenge as the year progresses -- easier in winter, harder in summer, when all the trees and bushes are fully leafed.
Cons: Thick pants can be essential when the weeds are about, as stickers abound.
Other Thoughts: Well-planned course layout, making best use possible of a compact location. Trees come into play wherever they can, and designers used what little elevation is available. Good for a quick nine, as it's seldom busy.

Full little course

5+    12/18/2013   12/22/2013
Review By: Mavurick
Pros: The course has been upgraded a few weeks ago. There is new orange center tape on all 9 course baskets and the 1 practice basket. There are new number stickers on the Tee signs. Each basket has been re-labeled with its respective hole number. Over the past few years some trees have fallen. A few locals have made to obstacles around the baskets with the fallen tree branches. There are now 2 basket placements for almost every hole.

Due to the depressed basins throughout the park, there is some slight up and down shots. A number of baskets are on the edge of a slope.

Other than a small playground, the rest of the park is a disc golf course. Sometimes people walk through the holes passing through. But usually you only have to wait for other disc golfers.

The average hole distance is 300'. There are a few 400' holes when the baskets are in those respective placements.
Cons: The tee pads will be narrow for some. They could be a bit longer too. But overall the concrete pads are in good shape.

Lately the horses in the park have been sparse. I have only been delayed once by a few minutes as they rode through hole #6 to get to their stables. But I heard they sometimes train in the park. That would be a problem.

There are a few vagrants passing through from time to time. Due to frequent disc golfers, the vagrants don't hang around long though.

It is a popular park with the local disc golfers. Unless you come really early you most likely will not have it to yourself - even on the weekdays. There can be big groups of disc golfers on weekends too. I have seen groups up to 20!
Other Thoughts: Overall it is a small enjoyable course to keep up on your beginner or intermediate skills if you live in Sacramento County.

Decent creatively planned course

1    10/21/2013   10/22/2013
Review By: Mr_Limo
Pros: Creative layout in a small neighborhood park. Good use of the area.
Cons: Dusty in the summer. Nice open course, different from my home courses near the coast.
Other Thoughts: Decent little 9 hole course tucked in between a couple of neighborhood streets and some train tracks. Course was dry and barren when I played, but it's early fall and the rains have yet to start to fall. Really creative use of the space, since it's very limited. Short to medium-long distance holes are mostly straight, with a couple of Mando's around some large gnarly oaks. I'll go back when I'm in the area.

Home To Some Gnarly Oaks!

1    8/26/2012   10/9/2012
Pros: I had a difficult time finding John Mackey Park, once I finally stumbled upon it, I was pleased with the course. The park was parched dry and brown in mid-August but I understand it greens up rather nicely during other months of the year. Also, you can tell it's green from the pics. The park utilizes a piece of land sitting between a busy street and electric train tracks. The triangle shaped piece of property was probably an eyesore before the course was put in.
The course features Mach 3 baskets, concrete teepads, basic fiberglass tee signs, garbage cans, benches, and a water fountain.

The main obstacles on the course are mature Oak trees some of which are quite gnarly and bent. One of these makes up the designing feature of what I feel is the signature hole on the course, # 6. It's just 264', slightly downhill, but it's the basket placement tucked into this large, gnarly, uprooted Oak which really defines the hole. It also happens to be an interesting ACE run, too.

The course has just enough elevation to make things interestings and OB on # 1 and # 7 add to their challenges.

There were lots of groups on the course when I played including many more couples than I'm used to seeing. Nice to see that.
Cons: The course was not very pleasing to look at here in August, just kinda brown and desolate looking but I hear it greens up during the wetter months.
It might be a little too open for some people's tastes.
Other Thoughts: Popular course utilizing an otherwise wasted piece of property. I loved seeing the couples out playing. Unforunately my wife throws like a girl!
This course is just long enough, has just enough challenge, has just enough amentities to be the nice little course that it is.

My only question is, "Is this course named after the old Baltimore Colts Tight End, John Mackey?" I seem to recall him being from Sacramento.

Nice urban course

1    8/16/2012   8/16/2012
Review By: ZdybelT
Pros: -Baskets in good condition.
-Easy to find next hole with great signage.
-Locals were very friendly.
-Decent use of land
Cons: -need trashcans. trash everywhere.
-Need more shot variations, seemed repetitive.
Other Thoughts: This was a decent course to play at. Met some very nice locals and were ab le to play through with no problems. I felt like there could have been more variations of shots as most distances were about the same and basket was dead ahead. it is a great long range nine hole course but could also be improved.

Sacramento desert

1    6/16/2012   6/23/2012
Review By: swampdisk
Pros: -long and short holes
-easy to navigate
-cement tee pads
-newer baskets
Cons: -HOT!
-hole 7 and the train tracks
Other Thoughts: This is a good 9-hole course. I wouldn't recommend this to new players on the fact that there are more 350'+ holes than short. I think its hole 7 that is next to the train tracks that if u shank you have to find a hole in the fence.

Good course!

1    3/30/2012   3/30/2012
Review By: kwmowery
Pros: Good use of space...I showed up and thought the holes would be on top of each other...I was surprised with the layout...
can't remember, but I think it was the 6th hole is the orange pole in the corner...
Cons: next to train tracks...and it always happens...when it is in the back of your mind....it usually goes that direction...ask those that were with me...

Parking could be better...
As for the neighborhood...I would not be afraid of any one breaking into my vehicle during the day. I did however have my motorcycle and was a bit skeptical that some one could stroll by and take what ever they wanted out of my saddle bags...
Other Thoughts: could be in a better part of the world...but could also be in a worse place...out of all the ones in Sacramento, this one is up there as a go-to-disc golf course. I will play again and bring a few friends that are avid player in the hills for sure.

While playing a random person on a horse just strolled through...we all looked at each other and then went on to the next hole.

Meh.

1    2/21/2012   2/21/2012
Review By: Speedly
This review was updated on 5/26/2012
Pros: - A variety of long and short holes. I think I threw all but my Firebird on this course.
- Good signage, concrete teepads.
- Some interesting pin locations. One is up on a hill in a hidden spot, another is right in the nook of a gnarl of trees, very hard to get to.
Cons: - Landscape pretty barren.
- Although nothing happened, the fact that the course is around a playground makes me nervous for the kids.
- Directly next to pretty active train tracks.
- I swear, I've never picked up so many stickers in my shoes as I did in one round at this place. =P
- I don't think the distances listed on some of the holes are accurate. I could be wrong, though.
Other Thoughts: The train tracks are a big annoyance, although they were there first. The lightrails don't make all that much noise, but the freight train that rolled through was pretty loud. I can't imagine living there, those poor people must be insane with the sleep deprivation. While I had no incidents, I saw someone toss one into the train area. Not only is it a possibility to lose plastic, but venturing into an active train area is dangerous!

A poor candidate for night golf, I think. Lots of deep squirrel holes, and not in the best of neighborhoods.

Overall, not a bad course, but not my favorite either. Something about this place rubs me the wrong way, but I can see how locals would flock here.

I wish the course the best of luck in the future.

Update: Score bumped up and comments changed.

John Mackey

5+    2/10/2012   2/11/2012
Review By: Sitzmann420
Pros: -Decent variety of long to medium shots
-Tee pads are swept regularly and a few of the locals keep the place clean
-Benches on about every other hole
-Tee signs on every hole with length
-Multiple pin placements
-People and dog friendly
Cons: -Similar holes in terms of length and technicality
-Gets flooded in the winter months
-Neighbors across the street sometimes like to heckle the disc golfers
-Need a big arm
Other Thoughts: Overall a great course for family and your typical disc golfers alike.. Check out the bilboard for local events and weekly doubles/singles.

< Prev 1 2 3