Monroe, OH
Monroe Community Park Share

5+    3/14/2011   3/14/2011
Review By: DrewMillerRH
Pros: Good use of elevation, tight and technical course vs. big arm course, great tee pads, good flow, map not required to play.
Cons: The rough is rough, all honey suckle, good shots can take a bad skip resulting in a poor lie...drives me nuts.
Other Thoughts: Solid course

Decent course if you are in the area

1    8/7/2009   8/7/2009
Review By: jgentry
Pros: This is a shorter course that is mostly wooded with a few more open holes. The baskets and teepads are in nice shape. There were signs on every hole and the course was very easy to fallow. There is a decent amount of elevation change that adds to the course and makes it a little more challenging.
Cons: Several of the holes have sapplings or trees in the fairway and it involves more luck then skill getting through. There were 2 baskets completely missing when I played it. There was only one hole on the course that really stood out to me. That was the short hole with the small creek/ditch that runs beside the basket. Everything else seemed a little too much alike and a touch boring. The last 3 holes seem very thrown together and if you are not careful you could throw at the wrong basket because the baskets do not have numbers. The soccer fields can also come into play on the last few holes.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is not a bad little course. A few of the fairways seemed a little unfair but not terrible. The main thing is that there just wasn't a lot of exciting throws to be made on the course. Everything was in good shape other then the 2 missing baskets. The looked to have been stolen. This is good little course to play if you are on the north side. There are much better courses in the area though.

Good times

2-4    11/1/2008   11/6/2008
Review By: SigmaChris
Pros: 24 holes of fun with a lot of tight wooded holes. Accuracy is a must and keep track of your drives otherwise you can spend time hunting for discs. A fun track but it isn't crowed so you can get through in 90 minutes or faster.
Cons: Some of the pars make no sense. Hole #6 is a tough up hill par 3 at 320', I am OK with that. However #8 is an open 250' hole that they have as a par 4.

Not enough trash cans back in the woods. Each time I have played I empty 3 grocery bags of trash along the way.
Other Thoughts: For beginners in the area looking for a disc to buy and play, the Ameristop Gas Station around the corner on SR63 and Main Street sells them (I am told).

This is also a good course to bring your dog as you will be away from the main park for most of the round.

Trees with a side of trees

1    8/31/2008   9/5/2008
Review By: timg
Pros: Well maintained with great signs and tee pads. Plenty of "Next Tee" signs to guide you to the next tee making a map pretty much unnecessary. Also, some nice elevation changes as well as a few holes out in the open adds variety.

I'll list the drinking fountain by hole #21 as a pro as well since I decided to use it during my round on this 90 degree day.
Cons: As the other reviews mentioned, hole #21 plays parallel to a soccer field so that would obviously be an issue if a game was going on.

Also, most holes are relatively straight and not too long. I think I can count the number of times I pulled out my driver on one hand.
Other Thoughts: Despite the hole length, Monroe is a challenging course. There are plenty of areas where an errant shot will get you into a heap of trouble and a few holes require almost laser-like precision to stay out of trouble. I feel safe saying that anyone that plays this course often will walk away with significantly improved shot accuracy. As another reviewer mentioned, most fairways are seemingly carved out of the woods which provides incentive to keep your shots under control and may actually encourage a slightly more conservative level of play in some cases.

As far as the holes themselves, I can't say that there were any real stand outs. While I had fun playing the course, there wasn't any one hole that was really memorable.

Overall, this is a well put together course and I enjoyed my round here. If I lived in the area I could see playing it often as I feel it is one of the better options in the Monroe/Middletown area. Now whether or not it's worth a detour is a toss-up. There are 24 solid holes here but nothing that will really knock your socks off. If you're in the area or passing through it's certainly worth a stop but I wouldn't recommend taking a trip to Monroe specifically to play this course.