Monroe, OH

1 2 3 4 Next >
 Technique Not Power

5+    12/22/2008   1/6/2009
Review By: CincyRocs
Pros:
-Located along I-75 so it's easy to find
-Set in a community park
-24 holes
-Concrete teepads
-Tight, wooded fairways
-Excellent tee signs
-Signs pointing to next tees
-Challenges an array of shots
-Good elevation changes
-Punishes bad and arrant shots
-Shelter and bathrooms between #20 and #21
-Map and Board at #1
-Challenging
-Accurate power needed
-Well groomed course
-Wind isn't a big factor b/c it's located in the woods
-Not much player traffic
Cons:
-Some fairways seem too tight
-No trashcans
-Benches only on a handful of holes
-Random trees added to middle of fairways to make lanes extremely difficult
-#21 runs along a soccer field
-Only one water fountain after #20
Overall this is one of the better courses in the Greater Cincinnati area. This is a technical course that will defiantly challenge anyone's ability to drive accurately. There is a good mix of different shots required for this course.

Signature Hole:
#6 is a 317ft open shot, but up a huge hill
#17 is a 312ft REALLY tight fairway that doglegs left uphill

Final Verdict:
Excellent course on the North Side of Cincinnati. It is short, but it makes of for lack of length with it's tight fairways. This course is defiantly not for beginners. Intermediate and advanced players will enjoy this course.

2-4    11/2/2008   12/2/2008
Review By: HyzerSoze
Pros: 24 Holes
Clean and well marked with great maps at each tee.
Concrete tees

GREAT to practice your accuracy and fairway drives, as many holes are in very very tight spots.
Cons: Not a huge amount of variety in shots, and nothing that you can really air out either..Longest hole is about 350' but thats even a little downhill so people with big arms can even overthrow that.

If you're just starting...especially if you don't have at least 3 or 4 discs to give you a variety of shots or don't have a really good grasp on the flight paths of the ones you do have, I could see where it could be pretty frustrating.
Other Thoughts: Ideal spot to go for intermediate type players who need a day just to practice throwing a variety of discs and really picking out the absolute best one for each hole.

This course really values precision and accuracy over wild power throws...If you're the latter like I used to be it will DRASTICALLY improve your game.

Good times

2-4    11/1/2008   11/6/2008
Review By: SigmaChris
Pros: 24 holes of fun with a lot of tight wooded holes. Accuracy is a must and keep track of your drives otherwise you can spend time hunting for discs. A fun track but it isn't crowed so you can get through in 90 minutes or faster.
Cons: Some of the pars make no sense. Hole #6 is a tough up hill par 3 at 320', I am OK with that. However #8 is an open 250' hole that they have as a par 4.

Not enough trash cans back in the woods. Each time I have played I empty 3 grocery bags of trash along the way.
Other Thoughts: For beginners in the area looking for a disc to buy and play, the Ameristop Gas Station around the corner on SR63 and Main Street sells them (I am told).

This is also a good course to bring your dog as you will be away from the main park for most of the round.

Fun in the woods

1    10/18/2008   10/20/2008
Review By: edge3281
Pros: Lots of elevation changes and narrow fairways that force you to use accurate shots. The tee signs were in great shape and very readable. The course looked like it was kept clean and in great condition.
Cons: Like the other reviews have mentioned all the holes are pretty much straight. One whole was missing a sign but the information was written on the post.
Other Thoughts: I didn't get to play the last 4 holes but I really enjoyed my time at this course. My wife and mother were at IKEA shopping so my dad and I came to this course. It was way better than the mostly flat courses I am accustomed to in my area. I will gladly play this course again when I am in the area.

Trees with a side of trees

1    8/31/2008   9/5/2008
Review By: timg
Pros: Well maintained with great signs and tee pads. Plenty of "Next Tee" signs to guide you to the next tee making a map pretty much unnecessary. Also, some nice elevation changes as well as a few holes out in the open adds variety.

I'll list the drinking fountain by hole #21 as a pro as well since I decided to use it during my round on this 90 degree day.
Cons: As the other reviews mentioned, hole #21 plays parallel to a soccer field so that would obviously be an issue if a game was going on.

Also, most holes are relatively straight and not too long. I think I can count the number of times I pulled out my driver on one hand.
Other Thoughts: Despite the hole length, Monroe is a challenging course. There are plenty of areas where an errant shot will get you into a heap of trouble and a few holes require almost laser-like precision to stay out of trouble. I feel safe saying that anyone that plays this course often will walk away with significantly improved shot accuracy. As another reviewer mentioned, most fairways are seemingly carved out of the woods which provides incentive to keep your shots under control and may actually encourage a slightly more conservative level of play in some cases.

As far as the holes themselves, I can't say that there were any real stand outs. While I had fun playing the course, there wasn't any one hole that was really memorable.

Overall, this is a well put together course and I enjoyed my round here. If I lived in the area I could see playing it often as I feel it is one of the better options in the Monroe/Middletown area. Now whether or not it's worth a detour is a toss-up. There are 24 solid holes here but nothing that will really knock your socks off. If you're in the area or passing through it's certainly worth a stop but I wouldn't recommend taking a trip to Monroe specifically to play this course.

Monroe Disc Golf Course

2-4    11/1/2009   8/18/2008
Review By: discgolferjr
This review was updated on 11/15/2009
Pros: Nice, long course. Chainstar baskets. Wonderful teepads and signs. Combo of short and long holes. Not muddy in summer. 24 hole course, cement teepads, mostly wooded, elevation changes, very nice course.
Cons: To many wooded holes. Punishes good shots. Hard to play hole 21 when Soccer games are being played. Hole 10 plays a long a parking lot.
Other Thoughts: Turtlecreek and Mason Sports Park are close by so play those too. 24 Holes is just right. Weekly Doubles Wed. 6pm. I don't know how much admission. Go to www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com for more info.

Straight But Challenging

6/19/2008   6/23/2008
Review By: comcast eric
Pros: Tight narrow fairways with random trees left in. Good variety of open and wooded holes with elevation changes. Wonderful Tee pads. Awesome tee signs
Cons: Every hole is practically straight. Not much in the way of dog legs. Hole 10 does run along a parking lot.
Other Thoughts: First off Hats off to the group that put this course in the ground they did ALOT of work! Seems like they just took a section of woods and just carved some fairways into them. The holes are straight and narrow it you really do need accurate throws to get down the fairway. I feel the pars could be adjusted. Hole 13 is straight across an open field listed as 284ft and a par 4. Theres a couple intimating up hill drives you gotta make. Hole 20 has a nice little vine swing if you dare. I did enjoy the 24 hole play. 18 never seems enough and by the end of 27 I am wiped out. Nice happy medium. Good course would play here often if lived closer.

Get out your Axe!

4/18/2008   4/18/2008
Review By: chuckynobbs
Pros: Lots of technical shots throughout. Really stresses all the shots in your aresenal! I think a few days here would greatly increase your game! Lots of trees that are decently set up so that you have a line (sometimes a very small line). Not much traffic, tee pads are good, tee signs are great
Cons: Some of the holes run parallel to the parking lot with a lot of cars and one of the last holes is right next to a soccer field which when they are playing would make it virtually unplayable. I had a problem hitting every tree in the woods and after awhile it does get frustrating. Sometimes finding the next hole is a guessing game
Other Thoughts: Hard to par this one 24 holes of fun though good luck!

1 2 3 4 Next >