Greencastle, PA
Whispering Falls DGC Share
Uploaded By: Jimb Hole #16 (Taken 1/2013)
3 / 300ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

This Course Wasn't Designed For The Likes Of Me!

1    7/14/2013   7/22/2013
Pros: Because of it's extremely challenging terrain with narrow fairways, some fairly dense rough, lots of elevation changes and long distances, this course was made for the advanced to pro player. Or maybe at the very least, the Gung Ho, young, physically fit intermediate player looking it challenge himself both physically and disc golf wise. I, however, do not in any way resemble that young fit stud of a player.

I am an older, noodled armed, total recreational level player who attempted to play the course early one July morning By MYSELF.

First problem, I arrived about 7:15 am and the park observes banker's hours doesn't open until 8 am. So I had to park outside the gate and hike around trying to locate the first tee pad. Upon reaching and playing the # 1, a 685' monster, I proceeded to look around about 15 minutes trying to find # 2. By the time I reached # 5, I realized that this course was not a course to tackle alone. With it's long, narrow fairways and my erratic arm, a spotter or two is a must. Then I promptly got totally lost and proceeded to wander up and down these steep paths through the woods. I finally came out at the picnic area at # 9 and gave up the fight. I feel lucky to have found my way back to my car.
Cons: For me, the navigation was a nightmare. There were paths leading every which way and very little in navigational aids. And I had the on-line map.

The course is limited in it's clientele. It's a great challenge for the upper range of players but is way too much course for us average disc golfers.

Park doesn't open until 8 am.
Other Thoughts: I can give this a course a 3.0 rating with the understanding that the young, strong and skilled players are thrilled with the challenge they will receive here. I've thrown with them before and it's a joy to watch them match their skills with a course like this.

I just want to warn other average golfers or those not in peak physical condition. This course will kick your fanny! It's a major hike with lots of serious ups and downs. Don't bring the newbie here.

Bring your "A" game

5+    10/4/2009   10/4/2009
Review By: d mars
Pros: This course is extremely challenging,but makes you strive to perfect your game. You have a mix of everything imaginable. Water, elevation changes, and narrow, tough fairways. Yes, there is some long hikes between holes, but if you wnat to complain, quit and go ride your couch. YOUR disc golfing. Playing alone is not recomended(you need a spotter), but if your in the area with some friends, stop in and play a round.
Cons: The long walks between holes can wear you out(but I'm a glutton for punishment, personally) and the rough is ROUGH(hence, a spotter). The tee pads could be more level.Besides that, the intermediate to advance player should appreciate what a fine course this is.
Other Thoughts: The only change I recomend is hole 17(way more OB than inbounds) but, I'm sure that change is in the makings. Otherwise, I love and sometimes hate this course(yes, I'm a local). It is one of the most interesting and challenging courses I've played in southcentral Pa.!

Great Potential

2-4    2/22/2009   2/23/2009
Review By: craigg
Pros: The amount of work put into this course is evident. I have a particular appreciation for recognizing the kind and amount of manpower it takes to put a course in on a piece of property like this. Very few areas can be reached w/ a vehicle, so whatever tools and materials you're hauling in - you're hauling in.
It's a visually appealing piece of property, long sweeping hills, in the PA mountains, but it's a difficult site for a DGC - very spread out.
Lot's of elevation (extreme in places), and a nice mix of Open and wooded holes. There are some pretty scenic/dramatic shots, which leave a good impression after playing, and on the first time through - a general "what's next" sort of anticipation. Generally, the course is long, but with multiple pin placements for most holes, it could obviously be set up in an easier configuration than I played it.
Hole 10 is perhaps the most dramatic, shooting down a steep ravine w/ maybe 50-60' change in elevation - pretty tough with the wind sweeping up in your face.
Cons: There are a couple long walks on the course. between 1&2 is nearly 1/4 mile, and between 12& 13 is at least 1/2 mile - all uphill - woof. This is testament to the difficulty of the property. While separation is a good quality for general course design. Whispering Falls version is a little extreme, and is one of the drawbacks in this instance. Sometimes (and this is one of those times) - you just don't have a choice.
Another CON is the rubber tee mats. Normally these are not a CON but, when you take the mat and just stake it to the ground, they deteriorate quickly, as has already happened to several of the pads. They need to be properly laid on a prepared, compacted stone dust bed. This would improve footing, and the life of the pads significantly.
Be prepared for a hike - its along - bumpy walk through the woods, and you must navigate some extremely steep areas - I can imagine in a couple weeks when is starts to thaw out, it will be a teacherous, muddy mess.
Other Thoughts: Signs aren't bad, but I question some of the posted distances. Plus a few have suffered from local kid vandalism. Lots of evident work, with a few sets of steps in key places, a guide rope for navigating the really steep hill going down to the extended pin on #3, and the nicest raised pin placement I have seen yet on #15.
There are several holes that utilize old logging roads which aren't my favorite kind of holes. While the fairways are ready made - in order to make the road in the first place, the people doing the clearing just shove all the junk off to the side, creating a virtually impossible cleanup job for folks like us that come in and want to use the roads as fairways. Makes for really rough rough - with lots of briars - something that'll take huge amounts of time to overcome.
Overall I like the course. There are some really good qualities here. It's only a year or two old, and is obviously still being broken in. With the distance and variation offered, this course should generate some good players.
One of several courses that has sprung up in south central PA in the last few years - good to see.
If you're doing a tour through the Mid Atlantic - definitely worth a visit.

I REALLY want to like this course!!

2-4    11/16/2008   11/19/2008
Review By: Acerun1
Pros: This course is on a GREAT piece of property. There is a good variety of holes, elevation changes and natural beauty. VERY challenging and not necessarily a place to take a "first timer" to try to get them hooked on the game.
Cons: With all due respect to their dedication and hard work, it seems that the designers let the existing park structure dictate the course design, instead of using the natural lay of the land to create the most challenging course possible. Too often the holes seem to follow/share the already established trails. This can put other park users unwittingly in harms way, and potentially view the sport as something that is "encroaching on their park experience."

With one caveat, I would say that 1/2 to 2/3 of the holes are well designed - the remainder could use some work. Unfortunately, that might require a radical redesign of the course! (Some new park development might make hole #17 unplayable?)

The "caveat" that I mention is that while there are 2 pin positions on each hole, there is but one tee position. Too many of the "B" pins are just longer, more "strenuous" versions of the "A" pins. I believe pin positions should be scattered in roughly the same general area - each more difficult/challenging than the previous - but not just "a longer shot." The tee pads should be what add length to the holes. Additionally, I'd agree that more signage is necessary to navigate the course.

Also, while the stream is a beautiful part of this course, the death defying descent down #9 fairway, and the confusing trek from #12 - #13 thoroughly detracts from the stream's added benefit.

Lastly, one quick and easy improvement: get a brush hog and/or a couple of scythes and clear a fairway swath 20-30' wide through the ravine on #4. "A good shot should be rewarded, and a bad shot punished." A beginner, or younger player, might have a good shot that doesn't clear the ravine, but goes straight. I believe it's counterproductive to "shorter throwing" players to make them wade through the briers just because they can't throw that far! And, they have no choice but to "go for it." There's no alternate route! Furthermore, it would eliminate the wide walk around just to get up to the basket!
Other Thoughts: I grew up just miles away from this course, and began playing while living in the area. At that time, it was an hour drive in any of 4 different directions just to play a course with baskets!!

Don't get me wrong, I HAVE THE UTMOST RESPECT for the 717 crew, and all that they are doing for Disc Golf in Franklin County and the Cumberland Valley!!! Any criticisms I give here are meant to be constructive! Living in Pittsburgh, and helping to build several of the courses there, has perhaps spoiled me to high-quality course design.

Overall, this course is worth playing, and even going out of your way to play! I would just love to see it live up to the potential of the plot of land that it inhabits.