Greencastle, PA
Whispering Falls DGC Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #6 (Taken 5/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
You Gotta at Least Play it Once

1    5/11/2015   6/17/2015
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Whispering Falls is a unique disc golf experience, literally testing your mental and physical durability throughout the entire round. This is truly one of those courses that you should at least experience once. This is due to its unique setting. It starts and ends like a typical town park, but for most of the course, you are deep in the woods playing daunting holes that allow little room for error with heavy rough, thick tree lines and constant elevation changes. I also feel this way because it's worth playing just to test where your mental game is, to see how much you can hold it together when things go bad.

With 27 holes, you will get a ton of different looks and shot types. There are plenty of holes that play through super tight paths, ones that are more moderately wooded but have risk factors to it, and plenty of chances for long open bombs at the end of the course. A huge difference in hole lengths and multiple par 4's are offered. There are even chances to get wet on 11 and 17. The variety is good here.

Hole 1 is a great hole and was actually my favorite. A 685' par 4 that starts out in the open and plays downhill through different patches of trees. I wish more holes were like this one, playing from the open into the woods and vice versa.

There is moderately elevation change on most of the front 18, which raises the fun factor in the woods. Hole 10 is a huge downhill shot that plays through a lot of trees. 15 is another fun downhill shot, an ace run with a steep slope behind the basket.

Since the setting was so cool, I actually enjoyed the hiking aspect to the course. It just needed more navigational aids. If I always knew what path I for sure needed to take, I would've paced myself and enjoyed the scenery more. I didn't mind the walk from 12-13 like others, it was a cool hike. I can see how some wouldn't like the length of the walk though.

Multiple pin and tee locations add to the variety of the course. The pin positions are so different that I'm sure locals really enjoy the changing aspect to this. The tee signs where the most detailed I've ever seen in terms of explaining where the pin was and how to get to the next hole. With the challenging navigation here, I really appreciate the effort put into the tee signs.

It's a long, exhausting round, so I also appreciated that it looped back to the parking lot after 9 and 18.
Cons: Ok, so I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the navigation here is something else. Definitely the toughest course I've played to navigate through, and I had a map. The tee signs were tremendously detailed with information to get to the next hole and I really did appreciate that. But, when it takes a paragraph to explain how to get to the next hole, navigation's an issue. There were a few signs pointing you in the right direction, but there were also times where multiple paths intersected and there was no way of knowing for sure which way was correct. I read that vandals take the signs down, and that's tough to deal with. But when I played, more signs were surely needed.

As I said, I liked the hiking aspect here. Physically and aesthetically, it was enjoyable. There just needs to be more clarity. With a map and reading the tips on the tee signs, I still had a few extra long searches.

There is definitely a push to play this course with someone else for the first time through. With the amount of heavy rough present right off most fairways, the challenging navigation, and the length of time that it will take you to play this course, having another person present will help keep you sane. Playing this course alone definitely hurt my experience. I know, some people think, "Just make sure you play with a local - problem solved." But the fact that this course is designed in a way that heavily favors having a partner with you hurts it for out of towners and first-time players. I generally travel to and play different courses on my own, so that isn't always an option.

Hole 27 finishes nowhere near 1. Since the course loops back to the car after 18, I recommend driving to 19 by the basketball courts so you'll be closer to the finish.

The finishing holes offer more variety to the course, but they didn't do much for me. They are pretty much wide open shots with a little bit of O.B. here and there.
Other Thoughts: If I am just rating the quality of disc golf holes offered here, I would give the course a 3.5. There is nice variety with some unique holes thrown in. However, with the problems that are present with the navigation and serious rough factor, I feel that the experience as a whole is a 3.0. It's not very often that I base much of my rating off of "experience", I generally try to focus on the golf holes offered since that is what I most enjoy in my round. However, the experience here is too much of a factor - especially for first-time players - for it not to be counted in my rating.

Maybe someday I will return, but I will definitely make sure I am playing with someone else. Make sure you give yourself a lot of time to play here, this isn't a course you will blow through.

you need a guide

1    5/9/2015   5/9/2015
Review By: adazm
Pros: clearly people are taking care of the course.
it has a lot of potential.
am sure they run some wicked fun tournaments there.
Cons: well, when i found hole 19, i parked my car thinking, "i'll just start here and end on 18 at same place". that was never going to happen. holes 19-27 are fairly open and decent but unexciting. the real problem was the 30 minutes i spent walking from hole 27-1, eventually giving up on hole 1 and starting up again on hole 2. no bueno.
Other Thoughts: am sure if you are local or with friends this place is a blast. dual tees are always helpful (assuming they can be found!)

Nice, but too much

1    6/15/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: Longjonsilverz
Pros: 27 holes. The holes are very well designed. Lots of variety with some very long distance holes and some short ace opportunities. Some holes are open and some are densely forested. Very challenging and difficult. A course for experienced players. The park is nice and the scenery and trails around the course are very nice. Score cards are available in the mailbox at the kiosk near hole 1.
Cons: By far the biggest con of this course is the lack of signage, and directions. This course also has the longest walk between holes I have ever seen, Hole 12 to 13 has a walk that seems at least half a mile or more long, all uphill. Very easy to get lost for a first timer. Not worth the lost discs in the summer. Rough is VERY dense and even good players will struggle to stay out since many trees deflect discs in the wrong direction. Hole 5 is a nightmare for losing discs. There are a few walking paths that overlap the course and I almost hit a few people going by when they stepped out of the woods. A few holes have no tee signs or are in really bad shape. A few holes have tables, benches, or other places people might be in them. The tee maps usually show multiple baskets but sometimes there is only one or the others were very hard to find.
Other Thoughts: I usually don't mind if a course has poor signage or maintenance, but this was the one exception. I got lost many times and never finished because i was wondering around the trails in the woods trying to find the next hole. What makes this worse is that I had taken a picture of the course map on my cell phone (I would recommend this) and that still wasn't enough help. The gap between hole 12 and 13 was not only like a half mile walk up hill, but it has many unmarked trails that branch off to the sides which make this even harder to figure out if you're a first timer. I really would like to give this course a better rating because it had some good holes and decent variety, but I know I am probably not gonna play here much again since I can just go to nearby Hagerstown Md and play a better course with less of a chance of losing discs. This course is still good though, just be aware of getting lost as a first timer and the potential for losing discs.

This Course Wasn't Designed For The Likes Of Me!

1    7/14/2013   7/22/2013
Pros: Because of it's extremely challenging terrain with narrow fairways, some fairly dense rough, lots of elevation changes and long distances, this course was made for the advanced to pro player. Or maybe at the very least, the Gung Ho, young, physically fit intermediate player looking it challenge himself both physically and disc golf wise. I, however, do not in any way resemble that young fit stud of a player.

I am an older, noodled armed, total recreational level player who attempted to play the course early one July morning By MYSELF.

First problem, I arrived about 7:15 am and the park observes banker's hours doesn't open until 8 am. So I had to park outside the gate and hike around trying to locate the first tee pad. Upon reaching and playing the # 1, a 685' monster, I proceeded to look around about 15 minutes trying to find # 2. By the time I reached # 5, I realized that this course was not a course to tackle alone. With it's long, narrow fairways and my erratic arm, a spotter or two is a must. Then I promptly got totally lost and proceeded to wander up and down these steep paths through the woods. I finally came out at the picnic area at # 9 and gave up the fight. I feel lucky to have found my way back to my car.
Cons: For me, the navigation was a nightmare. There were paths leading every which way and very little in navigational aids. And I had the on-line map.

The course is limited in it's clientele. It's a great challenge for the upper range of players but is way too much course for us average disc golfers.

Park doesn't open until 8 am.
Other Thoughts: I can give this a course a 3.0 rating with the understanding that the young, strong and skilled players are thrilled with the challenge they will receive here. I've thrown with them before and it's a joy to watch them match their skills with a course like this.

I just want to warn other average golfers or those not in peak physical condition. This course will kick your fanny! It's a major hike with lots of serious ups and downs. Don't bring the newbie here.

First Time

1    7/14/2012   7/14/2012
Review By: cjrogus
Pros: Fantastic mountain scenery, great variety of hole length, fairway, and elevation.
Cons: Hard to navigate, obstacles like cars and pedestrians too close to fairway.
Other Thoughts: Really enjoyed this course. Threw on par for most of the course and found the ones I bogeyed fair. Respect to the 717 for keeping the course well maintained and plenty of fun. Just watch out for those marshes.

Whispers

1    5/26/2012   6/3/2012
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 18 holes with nice tee signs, bag hangers, and benches. Rubber tees, some holes had two tees. Nice yellow discatcher baskets with multiple pin placements. Mostly well defined fairways. Excellent use of elevation, woods, and hole/shot type variety providing a good test of overall skill from long bombs to short technical shots and tricky greens. Nice bathrooms.
Cons: Navigation a bit tricky with some long walks. Some blind shots. A few holes play too close to the parking lot, other park patrons, and wetlands. Rough is pretty gnarly in some areas so disc loss is a possibility. Poison Ivy. Gnats were pretty bad and ingested/inhaled a few.
Other Thoughts: As an advanced player my overall impression is that I enjoyed most the course, but there are a few issues. This course can be frustrating for a beginner or noodle arm. I was really glad I found a nice local to play as I would have been wandering around a bit finding next tees and baskets, and discs. I imagine the course plays a little nicer in winter with less foliage and insects. I almost stepped on a frog and a large rat snake. Bring a map, plenty of hydration, and shoes appropriate for hiking as there is plenty of elevation. I played here in the morning and then Paw Paw which is about an hour drive. Epic day of disc golf providing quite the workout and crazy dreams.

Great club, great course

5+    5/23/2009   5/23/2012
Review By: Airubus
This review was updated on 1/21/2013
Pros: great design. left to right, right to left, elevation changes galore. i hear rumors of an additional 9 holes going in!! the club is great, and hold awesome tourneys. you can tell a lot of thought and effort went into the design, maximizing the terrain, for a fantastic layout.

Beautiful downhill "hollow" shot down to the river/creek is very memorable and fun.

SOme long, technical holes and risky putts tests your mettle.
Cons: there is one long....long walk between holes. You may even have to take a break when you get to the next hole. when i played, the thorns and rough were pretty bad - but that is only a matter of time before the club takes care of it.
Other Thoughts: gotta love elevated baskets wherever you find em. kudos to the 717!!

Rhbh bring your best turnovers

1    3/20/2012   3/21/2012
Review By: dschley
Pros: Tee pads course design layout well thought out great use of land benches and signage good but some signs were missing when I played
Cons: Majority of holes seemed to favor lefties or flicks
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to play it again but I am going to go home and work on my flick for a while before I go back.

Date: 3/28/2013 Designer Response by: ferretdance03
As much as I jokingly "gripe" that there's too many "lefty holes" out there, it is actually pretty balanced. Off the tee only holes 2,4,7,8,13,17 and 20 have a pin location that I think strongly favors a LHBH or RHFH shot. There are more that may require a right turning approach, but I think that's just a test of a complete bag of shots.

A place to call home

5+    9/5/2011   9/10/2011
Review By: Gwalter
Pros: Raise basket on hole 15. Signature holes like 5(over a nasty wooded gap) and 10(Only 350 ft long but drops 150ft in elevation. Good variety of holes. The par on this course is right on compared to other courses in the area. Great signage and gotta love those big yellow bands(DiscCatcher baskets).
Cons: Water hazard on hole 11. Easy to lose plastic here. Always have a spotter when playing here.
Other Thoughts: Local crowd is very friendly and helpful.

Best Course in the Area

5+    7/5/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: Bzach
Pros: -The course is very well maintained.
- The holes are long enough to be challenging but not overly long to the point where it feels as though your just throwing a disc to some far away point that you'll never reach.
-There is a good mix of straight and staggered hole that give you the opportunity to you many of the discs in your bag.
Cons: -On the sides of the holes, the vegetation can be very thick and easy to lose discs in.
- Some of the areas of the course can get a little swampy after it rains so wear old shoes if its rained recently.
Other Thoughts: This course offers the Risk/Reward that many players like without the water that it normally requires. Also it has a creative structure that hoists the 15th hole up off the ground. Between the 12th and 13th holes there is a decently long walk that has a small stream near it. Another thing is there can be a lot of bugs during the summer months but any course in a wooded area has that problem so just remember to bring bug spray.

< Prev 1 2 3 4