Greencastle, PA
Whispering Falls DGC Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #5 (Taken 5/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Nice, but too much

1    6/15/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: Longjonsilverz
Pros: 27 holes. The holes are very well designed. Lots of variety with some very long distance holes and some short ace opportunities. Some holes are open and some are densely forested. Very challenging and difficult. A course for experienced players. The park is nice and the scenery and trails around the course are very nice. Score cards are available in the mailbox at the kiosk near hole 1.
Cons: By far the biggest con of this course is the lack of signage, and directions. This course also has the longest walk between holes I have ever seen, Hole 12 to 13 has a walk that seems at least half a mile or more long, all uphill. Very easy to get lost for a first timer. Not worth the lost discs in the summer. Rough is VERY dense and even good players will struggle to stay out since many trees deflect discs in the wrong direction. Hole 5 is a nightmare for losing discs. There are a few walking paths that overlap the course and I almost hit a few people going by when they stepped out of the woods. A few holes have no tee signs or are in really bad shape. A few holes have tables, benches, or other places people might be in them. The tee maps usually show multiple baskets but sometimes there is only one or the others were very hard to find.
Other Thoughts: I usually don't mind if a course has poor signage or maintenance, but this was the one exception. I got lost many times and never finished because i was wondering around the trails in the woods trying to find the next hole. What makes this worse is that I had taken a picture of the course map on my cell phone (I would recommend this) and that still wasn't enough help. The gap between hole 12 and 13 was not only like a half mile walk up hill, but it has many unmarked trails that branch off to the sides which make this even harder to figure out if you're a first timer. I really would like to give this course a better rating because it had some good holes and decent variety, but I know I am probably not gonna play here much again since I can just go to nearby Hagerstown Md and play a better course with less of a chance of losing discs. This course is still good though, just be aware of getting lost as a first timer and the potential for losing discs.

This Course Wasn't Designed For The Likes Of Me!

1    7/14/2013   7/22/2013
Pros: Because of it's extremely challenging terrain with narrow fairways, some fairly dense rough, lots of elevation changes and long distances, this course was made for the advanced to pro player. Or maybe at the very least, the Gung Ho, young, physically fit intermediate player looking it challenge himself both physically and disc golf wise. I, however, do not in any way resemble that young fit stud of a player.

I am an older, noodled armed, total recreational level player who attempted to play the course early one July morning By MYSELF.

First problem, I arrived about 7:15 am and the park observes banker's hours doesn't open until 8 am. So I had to park outside the gate and hike around trying to locate the first tee pad. Upon reaching and playing the # 1, a 685' monster, I proceeded to look around about 15 minutes trying to find # 2. By the time I reached # 5, I realized that this course was not a course to tackle alone. With it's long, narrow fairways and my erratic arm, a spotter or two is a must. Then I promptly got totally lost and proceeded to wander up and down these steep paths through the woods. I finally came out at the picnic area at # 9 and gave up the fight. I feel lucky to have found my way back to my car.
Cons: For me, the navigation was a nightmare. There were paths leading every which way and very little in navigational aids. And I had the on-line map.

The course is limited in it's clientele. It's a great challenge for the upper range of players but is way too much course for us average disc golfers.

Park doesn't open until 8 am.
Other Thoughts: I can give this a course a 3.0 rating with the understanding that the young, strong and skilled players are thrilled with the challenge they will receive here. I've thrown with them before and it's a joy to watch them match their skills with a course like this.

I just want to warn other average golfers or those not in peak physical condition. This course will kick your fanny! It's a major hike with lots of serious ups and downs. Don't bring the newbie here.

First Time

1    7/14/2012   7/14/2012
Review By: cjrogus
Pros: Fantastic mountain scenery, great variety of hole length, fairway, and elevation.
Cons: Hard to navigate, obstacles like cars and pedestrians too close to fairway.
Other Thoughts: Really enjoyed this course. Threw on par for most of the course and found the ones I bogeyed fair. Respect to the 717 for keeping the course well maintained and plenty of fun. Just watch out for those marshes.

Whispers

1    5/26/2012   6/3/2012
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 18 holes with nice tee signs, bag hangers, and benches. Rubber tees, some holes had two tees. Nice yellow discatcher baskets with multiple pin placements. Mostly well defined fairways. Excellent use of elevation, woods, and hole/shot type variety providing a good test of overall skill from long bombs to short technical shots and tricky greens. Nice bathrooms.
Cons: Navigation a bit tricky with some long walks. Some blind shots. A few holes play too close to the parking lot, other park patrons, and wetlands. Rough is pretty gnarly in some areas so disc loss is a possibility. Poison Ivy. Gnats were pretty bad and ingested/inhaled a few.
Other Thoughts: As an advanced player my overall impression is that I enjoyed most the course, but there are a few issues. This course can be frustrating for a beginner or noodle arm. I was really glad I found a nice local to play as I would have been wandering around a bit finding next tees and baskets, and discs. I imagine the course plays a little nicer in winter with less foliage and insects. I almost stepped on a frog and a large rat snake. Bring a map, plenty of hydration, and shoes appropriate for hiking as there is plenty of elevation. I played here in the morning and then Paw Paw which is about an hour drive. Epic day of disc golf providing quite the workout and crazy dreams.

Great club, great course

5+    5/23/2009   5/23/2012
Review By: Airubus
This review was updated on 1/21/2013
Pros: great design. left to right, right to left, elevation changes galore. i hear rumors of an additional 9 holes going in!! the club is great, and hold awesome tourneys. you can tell a lot of thought and effort went into the design, maximizing the terrain, for a fantastic layout.

Beautiful downhill "hollow" shot down to the river/creek is very memorable and fun.

SOme long, technical holes and risky putts tests your mettle.
Cons: there is one long....long walk between holes. You may even have to take a break when you get to the next hole. when i played, the thorns and rough were pretty bad - but that is only a matter of time before the club takes care of it.
Other Thoughts: gotta love elevated baskets wherever you find em. kudos to the 717!!

Rhbh bring your best turnovers

1    3/20/2012   3/21/2012
Review By: dschley
Pros: Tee pads course design layout well thought out great use of land benches and signage good but some signs were missing when I played
Cons: Majority of holes seemed to favor lefties or flicks
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to play it again but I am going to go home and work on my flick for a while before I go back.

Date: 3/28/2013 Designer Response by: ferretdance03
As much as I jokingly "gripe" that there's too many "lefty holes" out there, it is actually pretty balanced. Off the tee only holes 2,4,7,8,13,17 and 20 have a pin location that I think strongly favors a LHBH or RHFH shot. There are more that may require a right turning approach, but I think that's just a test of a complete bag of shots.

A place to call home

5+    9/5/2011   9/10/2011
Review By: Gwalter
Pros: Raise basket on hole 15. Signature holes like 5(over a nasty wooded gap) and 10(Only 350 ft long but drops 150ft in elevation. Good variety of holes. The par on this course is right on compared to other courses in the area. Great signage and gotta love those big yellow bands(DiscCatcher baskets).
Cons: Water hazard on hole 11. Easy to lose plastic here. Always have a spotter when playing here.
Other Thoughts: Local crowd is very friendly and helpful.

Best Course in the Area

5+    7/5/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: Bzach
Pros: -The course is very well maintained.
- The holes are long enough to be challenging but not overly long to the point where it feels as though your just throwing a disc to some far away point that you'll never reach.
-There is a good mix of straight and staggered hole that give you the opportunity to you many of the discs in your bag.
Cons: -On the sides of the holes, the vegetation can be very thick and easy to lose discs in.
- Some of the areas of the course can get a little swampy after it rains so wear old shoes if its rained recently.
Other Thoughts: This course offers the Risk/Reward that many players like without the water that it normally requires. Also it has a creative structure that hoists the 15th hole up off the ground. Between the 12th and 13th holes there is a decently long walk that has a small stream near it. Another thing is there can be a lot of bugs during the summer months but any course in a wooded area has that problem so just remember to bring bug spray.

Whispering Falls is Screaming for you to Play Her!

1    12/23/2010   12/24/2010
Review By: jblough
Pros: - The course is easy to find, with the first tee being near the kiosk and parking lot. The rest of the navigation is pretty simple and getting around is pretty easy from there (although a map wouldn't hurt for a first-timer).

- Great flypad tees and dual pin positions for each hole. The signage is excellent and even gives you tips for throwing on each hole. Very cool!

- The biggest asset to this course is the length of the holes (with over half the holes being > 400 feet) and the elevation (massive uphill and downhill drives). I can't stress this enough--especially on holes 3 and 10, which are some of the steepest dropoffs I've seen in disc golf. As an elevation junkie, I love this aspect of the course.

- Great variety in shots in terms of terrain, with both open vs. technical shots. Some holes also have very sharp hyzer and anhyzer turns, with #8 coming to mind -- it felt like I was driving almost 180 degrees to the basket!

- Very nice disc golfers in the area who were eager to make sure I knew where I was going and what I thought of the course.

- Hole #5 is unique and interesting. You have to clear a gulley lined with very nasty brush and trees and park your disc up on a hill where the basket is situated. It has that feel of a water hazard with the element of risk/reward and is a really fun throw!

- Love the manmade structure that hoists the basket on #15

- Course ends on a nice note with you having to either throw on either side of a giant evergreen tree about 30 feet in front of you--or an overhand shot if you're so inclined. The basket is situated in a grove of trees and makes for a nice memorable end to the day.

- Incredibly challenging and fun!
Cons: - There's a reason I played this course in December. Even with all the foliage gone, it's still very easy to lose a disc here. Overgrowth and brush are abundant throughout the 18 holes and the steep elevation changes really warrant a spotter if you want to keep all of your discs

- The wetland thing on #6,17, and 18 is a little annoying, but I understand why they're trying to protect it.

- There's a bit of a walk from #12 to #13. You might feel like you're getting lost, but just keep following the trail and you'll eventually get there.
Other Thoughts: - This course kicked my butt a lot more than I thought it would. With that being said, I think it's a fantastic course to work on tight shots, steep anhyzers/hyzers, and long bomb drives. You'll probably hit a lot of trees and spend some time looking for lost discs, but it's a small price to pay for such a nice experience! A solid 4-disc course--no doubt about it!

- A great complement to the small and quaint Wilson College 9-holer, about 20 minutes away in Chambersburg.

Notable holes:
3, 5, 8, 10, and 18.

Always a Great Time

2-4    9/25/2010   9/25/2010
Review By: writtenkits
Pros: -Challenging from start to finish. The terrain can be just as difficult to overcome as the foliage and trees.
-Beautiful area with different sights to see along the way.
-The holes are kept in very good condition and can usually be seen easily (after you've driven once or twice)
-It is extremely relaxing and quiet from holes two to 15.
-I personally enjoy the challenge of the skinny holes. Getting stuck in the foliage allows me to really practice a good tomahawk throw.
Cons: - I agree with the nature preservation 'gulches' between tees and holes. If they want to preserve them, they shouldn't be in the middle of long drives. This is especially true with hole 18. Whether you throw Am. or Pro. there is a good chance you're going to end up in one.
- The close proximity of a playground and other high population areas can be nerve racking and can lead to someone getting hit. This has happened to me personally, but I can see it happening.
- They apparently took one basket off of each hole, so the course switches between pro and am. Aiming for par can get confusing and annoying. Holes seventeen and eighteen seemed to remedy this with adding long and short tees.
Other Thoughts: I didn't want to place this in the cons, because I really never have a problem with it, but this course does take a long time. Leave three to four hours open and bring plenty of fluids as dehydration can come easily. The hiking can take a lot out of you so remember to rest if it's needed. Please, if you smoke, don't leave your butts on the ground. I saw plenty and picked up as much as I could today.

Date: 3/28/2013 Designer Response by: ferretdance03
We currently only have one set of baskets that get rotated between the pin locations. There are painted letters on each tee sign that have a screw indicating which location the basket is currently in.

< Prev 1 2 3 4