Davenport, IA
West Lake Park Share
Uploaded By: FightingIllinut Hole #8 (Taken 8/2013)
3 / 275ft.   3 / 275ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #8 Am Tee

too much distraction

1    9/20/2013   10/10/2013
Review By: mjs2055
This review was updated on 9/4/2014
Pros: The main pro is there is more than 18 holes and concrete tee pads for both pro and amateur. I typically enjoy longer courses and courses with water hazards. There are a few super long holes that require precision throws. The water adds an element of difficulty not found at many other parks. There is a wide variety of holes and the course does make most of its elevation. I would advise bringing a burner or a floater due to the challenge the water holes pose. This course does mix up tight throws as well as open throws. The scenery is nice and it is well manicured.
Cons: Well to start off this course goes right thru a multipurpose park which greatly interferes with the course. I am reviewing this course in particular because I found it unacceptable that I had so many holes interrupted due to other people enjoying the park. This park is rated highly due to the difficulty factor and my friends and I were thoroughly disappointed that so many holes were unplayable because the course went thru a park with so many other people around and in the way. I personally enjoy a course with a challenge but when so many holes are unplayable because of other people enjoying the park I find that unacceptable. I also do not like to hear the excuse that it is not busy during the week because that is unreasonable for people that have a job or are from out of town. I also was extremely disappointed with the lack of signage making navigation difficult. There were no signs to direct from hole to hole and my group wasted considerable time attempting to find the next hole.
Other Thoughts: If you would like to play a championship level gold course this is the one to play if you are looking for a very difficult course that will challenge your game. I am fortunate to have played highly rated courses around the country and I personally feel this one is slightly overrated. I understand this course has some exceptionally long and difficult holes but I do not believe that these factors are enough to make it a champion level course. There are some fun holes on this course but to have so many holes that become unplayable because of other park users is unacceptable. I would love to give this course a higher rating but putting a long, difficult course thru a busy park that makes the course not fully playable deserves a low rating. The course has many positive aspects however you may be disappointed like myself. I am fine with others not liking my review. Despite me not giving it a 5 star rating I do believe this is a course that everyone should play at least once and definitely play if they are in the quad city area.