Sedro Woolley, WA
NSRA DGC Share
Uploaded By: kidtree Hole #2
The NSRA course is on property that once was farmland, and, as of March 2008, the county has not bulldozed, sealed off, or “sanitized” the crumbling outbuildings. A sign near the parking lot warns you to stay out of the buildings.

GREAT COURSE

5+    9/29/2009   9/30/2009
Review By: andyh360
Pros: This is an amazingly challenging course. If you don't like the exiting risk of losing a disk when you have a bad throw then this isn't the course for you. There are so many obstacles that this course never gets boring. If you have a long drive this is a course to let it all out. You can throw as far as you can on most of these holes. There are trees,blackberries, and the tall grass. I have played this course over 50 times and it never gets old. The wildlife is everywhere and there are lots of places to rest along the way. There is a cold freshwater creek after you shoot down into the canyon on hole 6 that you can cool off in on a hot day and so many shaded spots to just relax all along the entire course.
Cons: The first time you play this course should be played with a local. Only because there are very few holes where you can see the basket from the tee box. If you are not going to go with a local I reccomend that you walk each hole before you throw your disc away because certain times of the year the grass and the blackberries make it a course for the experienced only.
Other Thoughts: The teeboxes need some work. Some are unlevel. It such a beautiful area that it's a nice walk itself. There are lots of old buildings still there from when it once was a mental hospital with one building still having the incinerator in it. If you get good enough and the wind isn't blowin too hard you can walk upstairs in the barn on hole 18 and throw out the loft but beware if you don't get a good throw you will never see that disc again. Its an all around cool place to check out.

Fun Fun at the Farm

1    6/20/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: DubsAndDiscs
Pros: Totally unique course with a great layout that I will play and enjoy every time I visit the area. After reading the reviews about lost disc dangers, I played this course very conservative - choosing my discs carefully and playing safe shots as much as possible. When I played they grasses were just starting to get mowed, so the 1st thrower on most of the holes threw, then went out to find their disc with the other spotting from the teebox, then spotted for the other before throwing again. Worked just fine, didn't lose any discs, and only took a little more time - no prob. On 13, I would recommend someone go out and stand on the hill and spot for the others in your group, since hard throwers may have a tough time finding their discs on any throw - good or bad. If you pay attention, the high grass/weeds/etc is not much of a problem and if you treat the blackberries like water hazards that you WILL lose a disc in, I think you will find this course an enjoyable challenge. I walked out of the 18th saying to myself that this was the most FUN I've ever had playing a round and I look forward to getting out there again as soon as I can.
Cons: Blackberries! Yeah, I wish they weren't a part of any course, but I must say that on a few holes, like the 1st, they only play a major problem to those who MUST throw at the basket off the tee. I recognized the danger, chose a disc that would lay down before the big thicket, then threw a safe 2nd shot over it and put it right near the basket - what's the prob? Similarly #8 was one that you could not overthrow more than a little bit without having a problem, but lay a nice shot up near the hole, then lay a nice floater into the basket instead of trying to hammer one home, and you're golden. Sure, I would've liked #6 to be cleared of grass/weeds like in the photos, but treated with caution, it played just fine. The only real cons here are the ones you make yourself.
Other Thoughts: Okay, I'll admit that traditional baskets are my preference usually, but the art baskets here are pretty cool! I'd like to see this course have 18 traditional baskets sometime in the future, but there's enough room out there to make a "dual" course with each hole having a choice of an art target or a traditional basket. And, rather than placing the two together, there's enough room to make very different placements for each - kind of like a traditional A/B tee setup but backwards. I'll be the first to offer to donate another art basket - I've got some old VW parts around here that would make a cool one - let me know!!

Rustic in a good way

5+    4/26/2014   3/15/2008
Review By: kidtree
This review was updated on 4/29/2014
Pros: NSRA has hit the big time with level, concrete tee pads now!! Tee #1 still has a gravel puddle, but that's easy to work around and soon to be remedied. The custom targets are a playful touch, but most players want standard baskets, so that's what you get on every hole. Some art targets remain for those who are in a playful mood, but the standard baskets are close by for the rest of us. The trees, the blackberry thickets, and the various slopes give plenty of incentive to throw carefully, but there are few places where you're likely to permanently lose your pet driver. The blackberry thickets have been so hacked by golfers looking for discs that they are thoroughly networked by trails. The thickets look horrendous from a distance, but you can nearly always walk to your disc. Nearly. The park is large enough that you can't throw out of bounds unless you really work at it. Open fields around the parking lot give you virtually limitless space to learn the characteristics of a new driver, or just to warm up.

Wildlife adds a nice touch - in the winter the course is thick with fresh elk tracks, bald eagles and trumpeter swans cruise overhead, and big hawks skim the fields surrounding the parking lot. Owl pellets full of little white bones litter the ground under the cedar tree at hole 12. I spoke to a man whose dog had recently flushed a cougar from the blackberries behind hole 4.
Cons: Your first drive parallels the only path from the parking lot into the main area of the park. On a nice afternoon, you'll wait for families strolling into and out of the park, oblivious to your impatience to get started. (After Hole 1, there's much better separation between discgolfers and other park users.) It's wet in the winter; I play in lightweight hiking boots. A line at the bottom of the map says something about 6 miles. The course is long, but not that long! You'll walk close to 2 miles; the actual fairways total about 6,000 feet.
Other Thoughts: The course is new this winter (2007-2008), and so am I; walking it inspired me to buy my first discs. It still has rough edges, but is eminently playable, especially if you print the map found under the Links/Files tab.
4/28/14: Along with the concrete tees have come some course changes not yet reflected in a new course map. I couldn't find the 2nd tee until someone on the course showed me. (walk up the road N from the 1st basket and look left for new trails into the brush. The second trail is better.)
This is an excellent course under certain winter conditions. One of my best days was when the mud was frozen solid - great traction on slopes that are sometimes to slippery. Once I played in 2" - 4" of snow. I carried only bright-colored discs and never had to spend time searching for one, which is saying something, considering how poorly I throw. Winter is also best for wildlife. If you drive from out of county, you are pretty much guaranteed to see flocks of swans by the time you arrive, and probably an eagle or three. Elk are hard to find in person, but you're bound to see lots of tracks and poop, even down by the parking lot.
Many tees and holes were moved this spring, and it's a bit rough for now where brush was hacked out to accommodate the changes.
While the thickets are much better than when I started in 2008, some players still carry a machete or lopping shears.