Crescent City, CA
Joe Hamilton Elementary Share
Uploaded By: lanningmorgen Hole #7 (Taken 7/2009)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Perfectly Serviceable Little Rec Course!

1    8/16/2013   8/18/2013
Pros: This works as a great little rec/beginner course when you don't want to tackle Beachfront. The baskets are DGA models. They're older and are showing some signs of rust but catch well here. At the base are small blue triangle pieces of tile set in the concrete base pointing to the next tee. They're not really needed here but I liked having them anyway.

Question?? Why do course designers put great navigation aids like these little blue triangles on small pitch and putts courses like Joe Hamilton where you don't need them and not on some wilderness courses where you end up wandering around around forever trying to find the next tee pad?

This end up having a couple of nice ACE runs. The on-line map was excellent! I guess it's fairly simple to make a map for a 7 hole course.
Cons: For a course designed for elementary students, it's a little too long, a little too difficult, with too many baskets too near fences and opportunities for students to throw into the nearby apartment complex or as in the case with # 7, into the teacher's parking lot.

Basket's # 1 and 3 are both set too near the fence for elementary kids. They'll be firing their discs over those fences all day long.

Teeing off from # 6 near the apartment fence, students will throw over the fence here. Also there is currently a branch hanging broken down right in your way. It needs to be removed. Right now, it forces you to roll so I kinda liked it. Gives you another look.

On # 7, kids will find a way to throw into the parking lot. Believe me, I teach elementary Physical Education and I know how poorly these students throw.
Other Thoughts: I like this course a lot as a recreational course. A place to bring a newbie or just to practice. It's shady and has some fun ACE ops.

I don't care for it in regards to elementary students. I don't think I would trust kids to use it at recess. It might work as a structured P.E. activity.

So I'd rate it about a 2.5 as a rec course and about a 1.0 as an elem. school course. We don't have a 1.75 rating so I'm rounding it up.

Morgen

1    7/30/2009   7/30/2009
Review By: lanningmorgen
Pros: See Mike Shoys review. He did a good job with his information.
Cons: See Mike Shoys review.
Other Thoughts: My wife and I played this course on July 26th. School was out for summer. We brought our dogs and it was perfect for them.