Dundas, ON
Christie Lake Conservation Area Share
Uploaded By: Morlock Hole #11 (Taken 10/2012)

Maintenance? What's that??

8/3/2008   8/3/2008
Review By: timg
Pros: Elevation and dual tees. Also, each hole had a tee sign although no useful info was provided outside of hole length. Layout made it relatively easy to find the next hole with a few exceptions.
Cons: An almost complete lack of maintenance. Tee pads were non-existent.

Also, price to play. $8 for the first person in the car and then $4 for each additional person.
Other Thoughts: This course could be good, it really could but the lack of maintenance kills it. I only managed to make it through the front 9 before deciding that it just wasn't worth my time (and that's after playing $12 to get in!). I couldn't find the #10 tee although admittedly I didn't look that hard after the arduous experience on the front 9 (plus I didn't have a map). I realize now I would have never found #10 without a map.

It might not be entirely fair to rate this course based on the front 9 alone but I felt people deserve to have some idea of what to expect before coming here and paying to play.

Here's a breakdown of how it went.
#1 has you throwing ~300ft. over 6ft. tall disc eating weeds into some not so tall weeds.
#2 wasn't bad, just an average wooded hole.
On #3 you get to throw over a poison ivy infested "fairway" and I'm using fairway in the loosest possible sense of the word. It's an overgrown mess. But hey, at least there's a sign to warn you about the poison ivy that you will be walking through after throwing!
#4 had a horrible tee pad where I was possibly standing in poison ivy to tee off. Otherwise, it was a cool hole.
#5 features a basket set on top of an overgrown, weeded hill. It would have been more enjoyable had it been mowed in the past month or two.
#6.. oh man, this is a good one. 430ft slightly downhill, straight shot over a field to the basket. Oh, did I mention there is NO fairway and this field is filled with knee high weeds? Even with all the spotters in the world, good luck finding your disc on this hole.
#7 features the same weeded field as #6 . The red tee is actually IN even taller weeds. There's no tee pad so just go ahead and do your run up in weeds up to your waist. It's fun, really!
#8 has you throwing down a pedestrian trail so it actually has a fairway of sorts. That actually made it a stand out hole.
#9 brings you back to the area that tee #1 is so you get tall weeds mixed with 6ft tall weeds. My Star Destroyer was an unfortunate victim of this hole.

After that wonderful experience, I'm sure you can see why I didn't try too hard to find the back 9. It's like someone thought about placement, bought nice baskets, decent (if uninformative) signs and put in what could be a nice course and then just went home and left it forgotten. If this course was well maintained it could be quite good. As is, it's just a ton of lost discs and frustration waiting to happen. Plus you get to pay $8 or more for the privilege of wasting your time here.

Obviously I would not recommend playing this course unless some serious maintenance starts happening on a regular basis. If you're a masochist and do decide to play here, don't go alone unless you like to search for discs more than you like to throw them.