Flat but Fun
5 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: - Surprising amount of angles are used. Excellent use of trees, bushes and fences as obstacles.
- There is a nice variety of distances being used. 6 of the 9 holes are over 300' and there are two holes over 500'. This course allows you to test your max distance.
- The course has a nice flow overall with a short walk from the parking lot to the Practice Basket & Hole #1. Hole #9 finished right at the parking lot. There is a slight hiccough in the flow with Hole #4 & 5. The map has been updated but someone needs to update the tee signs. When playing, just note that the Tee Sign that says #5 is actually #4 and vice versa (according to the map and easy of flow).
- Safety ranks pretty good on this course. The only holes that come close to overlapping are #4 & 5. If there is a group on each you will just need to use good judgment . Hole #9 does have a docking area to the left of the basket but it most likely does not get a lot of traffic.
- Hole #8 has multiple tees with Long Tee giving you a 630' fairway!
- The concrete Tees are in excellent condition
- The Tee Signs are located on poles to the rear of each Tee and are very helpful. They are a little beat up but they show the Basket, Mando & Next Tee. The map is handy but really wont be needed once Hole #4 & 5 is updated on the Tee Signs. Navigation is very simple here.
- The Baskets are in excellent condition and are well labeled
- The water hazard greatly adds to the play factor on Hole #8
- Good upkeep by the university
- Low traffic by disc golfers and civilians
- Practice Basket located near Hole #1
- Plenty of parking
- Near the highway, easy to get to
Cons: - Very little in elevation changes on this mostly wide open course
- Could use a bench or two and a trash receptacle near one of the Tees
- A sign guiding you to Hole #1 would be an excellent addition to assist first time goers
- Flow on Hole #4 & 5 (previously discussed) slowed us down a bit
- Hole #8, Short Tee, is a wide open boring light toss. Could this be helped by moving the basket back and toward the water or in another direction?
- Even though I like the layout of Hole #5 with the fence and tree making you pick your path I do find it extremely short at 179'.
Other Thoughts: - This course is set on the university school grounds and is mostly flat but well mowed. Typical college setting with nice buildings and trees scattered lightly around the large yards. I do not know the politics on this course but there seems to be plenty more room to add another 9 holes.
- There seemed to be a constant wind on Hole #8 & 9 even though the weather was clear. Not a pro or con but something to be aware of. Bring your windy discs just in case.
- As 9 hole courses go this course was fun even though it is very flat. I would say there are some challenges but it's certainly not a 'challenging' course.
- I think that Hole #7 is the most challenging with it's right turning fairway toward the water into a small putting area.
- My favorite hole is #3 I guess. Fun course but nothing really sticks out as a favorite.
- Overall I enjoyed the course but I would not consider this something to travel far to try out. It does mix well when you want to hit this course up before lunch then do a round across the street at Young's Run DGC. As with most 9 hole courses I'm happy it's there as it adds to our sport. Thanks to those that put this course together for all of us to use.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.