Scarborough, ME
Pleasant Hill DGC Share

5+    10/29/2011   11/2/2011
Review By: seano2222
Pros: The most prominent feature of this course is the immaculate grounds keeping. Fairways are plush grass, maintained to the height found on a typical ball golf course. Old-growth willows and oaks adorn the landscape, intermixed with ornate duck ponds and a few man-made decorations. First time through I swear I looked over my shoulder a couple times to make sure no one was coming up from behind to kick me out of their country club. Throughout this summer, we witnessed continuous efforts to improve the grounds including bridges, wood chips, filling of low spots that held water, drainage ditches, brush clearing, tee box reconstruction and permanent benches.

The course bounces back from the elements like no other - This characteristic alone often tips the balance for us to drive the extra miles. Drainage is excellent after the big rains, no mud or standing water to contend with. From what I understand the openness lends itself well to winter play when after the sun has a chance to skin the snow over.

- Five bucks plays all day.
- 9 & 18 finish back at the clubhouse
- Clubhouse has packaged snacks, restrooms and heat.
- Disc prices are competitive with the internet
- Friendly owners
- Retrieval tools at water hazards
- Baskets have arrowed bricks to mark direction of next tee
- Concrete tees (set forms or pavers) with grip textured surface and good drainage
- Stray discs are easily found

The course utilizes a very clever standardization of hole distances in increments of 100 feet, plus the number of feet matching the hole number. For instance hole #1 is 501 ft, hole #2 is 302 ft, so on through hole 18 at 218 ft. You can easily distinguish the difference of a hundred feet, so this allows you to always have awareness for distance management, without having to look at or remember what a sign said. To compliment this, you can always see the basket from the tee in the direction the tee pad is set (might have to lean right or left on a couple to get a clean look). There are no signs at the tee box, only the hole number stenciled on each hole's trash bin. I guess I would prefer both, but if I had to pick between a sign and this method, I think I get more value from this way.

The course is widely open with only a couple tees you can't rip a bomb from. As fun as that is, it's arguably rather uniform and perhaps unchallenging in this regard. However, by my quick count there are only 5 holes that don't have some form of standing obstacle or water hazard to contend with. A few more obstacles would be better, but as-is, this course is not too far south of an open/technical balance, which I find makes for an enjoyable, not overly frustrating, round.
Cons: There aren't really any cons that would deter me in from coming back often - but here are a few opportunities for improvement ... or not.

- Tee box signage
- Discs are kept behind the counter; I prefer to thumb through all the fluorescent baubles when making a selection. (When requested though, they are quick to set a selection of them on the counter for you.)
- There is a selection of Discraft, Latitude and Innova discs, but the variety of colors and weights for each disc is a bit limited compared to the largest area pro shops.
- The follow-through step off the tee boxes has caught me off guard a couple times. Some are slippery and some a drop which could lead to a groin pull or twisted ankle.

In the category of "it is what it is" cons:
- The course has essentially no elevation changes in play.
- Can be impossibly blustery at times from being open and near the ocean
- At least 10 minutes from the highway, more in traffic.
Other Thoughts: For right hand back hand, I don't find the water hazards threatening at all. That said, I've played the course a dozen or so times and have been in the water twice. Hole three got in my head once and I grip locked one into the water (retrieved) and the wind helped an understable Wahoo on eight carry way over to go for a tour of the water on three (also retrieved).

Because of the location in a population center, the course is often well attended. There have been times I thought for sure we would get hung up behind slower groups or five+ groups, but we never have. Even the newbs here seem to catch on to offering through play pretty readily. My last 4 weekend rounds, played in a twosome, ranged between 1:17 and 1:44, according to the scorecard app on my phone.

Wind is part of the game here - Take it as a challenge to be mastered.
Grass is part of the game here too - Holy rollers! (Wish I were better at throwing them)

Recreational and relaxing

2-4    10/16/2011   10/21/2011
Review By: jtreadwell
This review was updated on 5/7/2012
Pros: -One of the best maintained (if not the best) in the area
-Decent mix of shots and hole types
-An excellent pro shop and snack bar
-Family friendly with a relaxed atmosphere
-Decent signage
Cons: -A bit damp
-Larger groups abound
-Some holes leave you with dejavu
-The transition from hole 8 to 9
Other Thoughts: Having played about 10 area courses, this is the first one that had anywhere near the level of maintenance as a ball golf course. The fairways were neatly trimmed for optimal disc skipping, and the rough, while accomplishing it's purpose of stopping your discs, was never a hindrance to finding a disc. Baskets and concrete tee pads are all in great shape, and many of the holes had greens made of stone circles or wood chips. The par is very generous (I shot a -7 and -9 course par) but that works out well for the multitudes of younger and newer players that were in attendance. Despite newer players, most everyone was polite and respectful of the course and there was no trash on the ground anywhere or rambunctious guys causing trouble. The ponds are utilized very well and are usually avoidable with cautious play. Only those truly going for the glory will really risk a wet disc. While the holes are all entertaining, some felt a bit repetitive, particularly the long, open holes. This was tempered somewhat by many large trees, including some devastating weeping willows. Signage is decent, with a lot of holes using easily spotted stones and stumps to direct you to the next tee. The only navigation problem we had was finding hole 9. The flow of the course is completely thrown out the window and you have to walk past several tee boxes and around the lake to find it. Even with the map we had to ask the locals where it was. Aside from that, this was a lovely course with a very relaxed atmosphere and a lot of disc golf fun. We also played BAP in Gorham and the two courses (exact opposites of each other) made for an unforgettable day. Try it! Everybody's doing it!

Home field!

5+    9/18/2011   9/23/2011
Pros: convienent location-great staff-grounds are always in great shape! Plenty of obstacles to keep you on your toes. I have never had a bad time here- no matter the weather or my score always a great time! The owners son frequently joins our round to show us how its done!
Cons: None found so far!

P. Hill - Scarborough, ME

5+    9/18/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: Lerch
Pros: Over the past year the new owners have completely made this one of the better courses in Maine. What was once a soggy marsh covered in duck crap is now a maintained great looking course. The course itself is a great mix of open field and wooden holes. The pro shop is always stocked with Innova, Discraft, Lat64, and Gateway plastic, not mention snacks and drinks. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and always has 5 minutes to offer tips on your game. P. Hill is also DOG FRIENDLY which is a big plus if you are a pooch owner. A lot of people don't like the 3 water hazards, however the course has a diver go in and pull out roguh 600 discs monthly, they clean, catalog and even call everybody. Best part is they don't charge for returning a lost disc.
Cons: The course isn't physically demanding as other courses (Bennett's, LaVallee), but being so close to the Portland metro you can't really complain.. My only big gripe is there are a lot of newbies, and larger groups ( 5+) which can easily add unnecessary time to your round.
Other Thoughts: Rumors have surfaced about 2 18 hole courses next year

1    9/13/2011   9/13/2011
Review By: throwingrocs121
Pros: This course is well maintained in every aspect. Great tee pads, well cut grass, and beautiful scenery. PHDG is a great course for everyone to enjoy.
Other Thoughts: Pat and Dave are a fantastic asset to this course. They are very knowladgable in discs and helped me get better distance.

very pleasant

5+    8/24/2011   9/7/2011
Review By: mainracefan
Pros: friendly staff,well stocked pro shop,well maintained course,variety of open holes and obstacles,friendly people playing,ample parking when people cooperate
Cons: drainage makes for wet feet,but wearing waterproof shoes takes care of that
Other Thoughts: been playing disc golf for about a year now,and have tried several local courses and pleasant hill is by far the best course for beginners as well as all other skill levels.

Well groomed and convenient

5+    7/10/2011   7/17/2011
Review By: Ironmikez
Pros: Very clean and well groomed and conveniently located for those in the Portland area. Perfect mix of wide open and wooded holes.
Cons: 3rd and 8th holes on occasion have eaten a disc but, not to worry the new ownership sends a diver in bi-weekly and Does NOT charge for the retrieval a friendly tip is accepted though!
Other Thoughts: The new ownership has gone to great length's to improve this course I had been coming here for years and this year I would finally rate it among the best courses I have played. Every time I have visited this year it has been obvious the amount of work they have done and continue to do to improve! 5 Stars all day long. Keep up the good work!!!

5+    7/3/2011   7/3/2011
Review By: Oldcoot
Pros: Mike and crew have made GREAT changes over the winter, with the clubhouse, tee pads, and around the holes. Played here for past 6 years, and this is the best it has ever been.
Cons: So many people gripe about the ponds, but if you learn to play away from them they are great!! Mike has cut around 3,11, and the water is not a problem, for me anyway! Anytime groups of 5 or more go out, they should be told to let smaller groups go through anytime they are close.
Other Thoughts: THANKS to all working there to make this a terrific place to play

best course around portland

5+    6/6/2011   6/6/2011
Review By: gratefulguy7
Pros: Great place, excellent fairway holes, and good mix of woods and such...they take great care of the grounds, grass is always short...but...
Cons: PLEASE, for the love of God, get rid of hole 3...i and all my friends just skip that hole..with the cross winds, the pond will eat/swallow your disc...i've lost way too many...when will they realize that that hole makes people dislike the, i hope they ditch hole 9....both of those holes are always wet and pointless...otherwise, this course rules...
Other Thoughts: I hope they get rid of hole 3, and hole 9...

Very Open. A place to work on your drives.

5+    2/12/2011   2/25/2011
Review By: dsm767
Pros: Decent Pro shop well stocked and a friendly helpful guy behind the desk.

There is a bathroom in the pro shop as well and a TV and couches to relax in.

Very open greens for the most part with some nice pin placement on a lot of the holes. This is a course to work on your back hand drives, I am a RHBH thrower primarily and this is the place where I learned to throw over 300'.

Rentals are cheap last I checked they were like a buck, but it has been awhile since I checked the price since pretty much everyone I know has their own gear. Beginners should have fun here to say the least I have gotten at least 10 friends to pick up disc golf as a sport from playing at this location.

Its not to hard on the feet in the summer time since they irrigated it for last the 2010 season and there are cement tee pads on almost every hole now, I helped put a few in myself for work for play.

This was always a plus for me at Pleasant Hill Disc Golf in Maine- they had a alphabetized list of lost discs. The sheet had every disc including the type of disc it was, the color and who made it. The sheet itself was organized by the owners name so disc recovery was easy, and if you had more then one you did not have to go searching around.
Cons: Water Hazards beware!! I can't tell you how many times I've brought a friend this year and taught them how to play and lost a disc in the pond on the 3rd hole (Which as of last year they reversed the course so it would be hole 12 now) More then I can count. Since this is my home course I hardely loose discs here myself knowing the layout all too well.

There are in total 6 holes where water comes into play since the course loops around on itself and doubles back on the opposite side of almost everyone of the four ponds.

Since this is a pretty open course and the fairways are long on most of the holes, there is a pretty reasonable chance for loosing discs in the water hazards.

I also had the chance to play here in the winter several times and was able to walk out on the ponds grab my disc once when they were frozen over, which made for a great round in the snow and allowed me to tweak shots in previous years for the spring time to avoid these hazards; be careful as always I not saying you should walk out on the ice at any course and grab your discs.

Recovered most of my discs because they drag the ponds every few months and send divers in every so ofter too to get some big pulls out, but note you will have to pay $2 to get you disc back, they have to pay the diver and they don't want to do it out of pocket.

The course use to be pretty wet two years ago or so, since then they irrigated the course much better and course has dried out considerably.
Other Thoughts: I heard that Dragon Disc Golf has stopped affiliating themselves with the course after last season since their lease was up, not sure what the fate of the course will be in spring, as of now its free play for the winter and the club house is shut down. thanks for letting us play still even for the time being!