Scarborough, ME
Pleasant Hill DGC Share

Home field!

5+    9/18/2011   9/23/2011
Review By: JBLANCHARD
Pros: convienent location-great staff-grounds are always in great shape! Plenty of obstacles to keep you on your toes. I have never had a bad time here- no matter the weather or my score always a great time! The owners son frequently joins our round to show us how its done!
Cons: None found so far!

P. Hill - Scarborough, ME

5+    9/18/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: Lerch
Pros: Over the past year the new owners have completely made this one of the better courses in Maine. What was once a soggy marsh covered in duck crap is now a maintained great looking course. The course itself is a great mix of open field and wooden holes. The pro shop is always stocked with Innova, Discraft, Lat64, and Gateway plastic, not mention snacks and drinks. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and always has 5 minutes to offer tips on your game. P. Hill is also DOG FRIENDLY which is a big plus if you are a pooch owner. A lot of people don't like the 3 water hazards, however the course has a diver go in and pull out roguh 600 discs monthly, they clean, catalog and even call everybody. Best part is they don't charge for returning a lost disc.
Cons: The course isn't physically demanding as other courses (Bennett's, LaVallee), but being so close to the Portland metro you can't really complain.. My only big gripe is there are a lot of newbies, and larger groups ( 5+) which can easily add unnecessary time to your round.
Other Thoughts: Rumors have surfaced about 2 18 hole courses next year

1    9/13/2011   9/13/2011
Review By: throwingrocs121
Pros: This course is well maintained in every aspect. Great tee pads, well cut grass, and beautiful scenery. PHDG is a great course for everyone to enjoy.
Other Thoughts: Pat and Dave are a fantastic asset to this course. They are very knowladgable in discs and helped me get better distance.

very pleasant

5+    8/24/2011   9/7/2011
Review By: mainracefan
Pros: friendly staff,well stocked pro shop,well maintained course,variety of open holes and obstacles,friendly people playing,ample parking when people cooperate
Cons: drainage makes for wet feet,but wearing waterproof shoes takes care of that
Other Thoughts: been playing disc golf for about a year now,and have tried several local courses and pleasant hill is by far the best course for beginners as well as all other skill levels.

Well groomed and convenient

5+    7/10/2011   7/17/2011
Review By: Ironmikez
Pros: Very clean and well groomed and conveniently located for those in the Portland area. Perfect mix of wide open and wooded holes.
Cons: 3rd and 8th holes on occasion have eaten a disc but, not to worry the new ownership sends a diver in bi-weekly and Does NOT charge for the retrieval a friendly tip is accepted though!
Other Thoughts: The new ownership has gone to great length's to improve this course I had been coming here for years and this year I would finally rate it among the best courses I have played. Every time I have visited this year it has been obvious the amount of work they have done and continue to do to improve! 5 Stars all day long. Keep up the good work!!!

5+    7/3/2011   7/3/2011
Review By: Oldcoot
Pros: Mike and crew have made GREAT changes over the winter, with the clubhouse, tee pads, and around the holes. Played here for past 6 years, and this is the best it has ever been.
Cons: So many people gripe about the ponds, but if you learn to play away from them they are great!! Mike has cut around 3,11, and the water is not a problem, for me anyway! Anytime groups of 5 or more go out, they should be told to let smaller groups go through anytime they are close.
Other Thoughts: THANKS to all working there to make this a terrific place to play

best course around portland

5+    6/6/2011   6/6/2011
Review By: gratefulguy7
Pros: Great place, excellent fairway holes, and good mix of woods and such...they take great care of the grounds, grass is always short...but...
Cons: PLEASE, for the love of God, get rid of hole 3...i and all my friends just skip that hole..with the cross winds, the pond will eat/swallow your disc...i've lost way too many...when will they realize that that hole makes people dislike the course....plus, i hope they ditch hole 9....both of those holes are always wet and pointless...otherwise, this course rules...
Other Thoughts: I hope they get rid of hole 3, and hole 9...

Very Open. A place to work on your drives.

5+    2/12/2011   2/25/2011
Review By: dsm767
Pros: Decent Pro shop well stocked and a friendly helpful guy behind the desk.

There is a bathroom in the pro shop as well and a TV and couches to relax in.

Very open greens for the most part with some nice pin placement on a lot of the holes. This is a course to work on your back hand drives, I am a RHBH thrower primarily and this is the place where I learned to throw over 300'.

Rentals are cheap last I checked they were like a buck, but it has been awhile since I checked the price since pretty much everyone I know has their own gear. Beginners should have fun here to say the least I have gotten at least 10 friends to pick up disc golf as a sport from playing at this location.

Its not to hard on the feet in the summer time since they irrigated it for last the 2010 season and there are cement tee pads on almost every hole now, I helped put a few in myself for work for play.

This was always a plus for me at Pleasant Hill Disc Golf in Maine- they had a alphabetized list of lost discs. The sheet had every disc including the type of disc it was, the color and who made it. The sheet itself was organized by the owners name so disc recovery was easy, and if you had more then one you did not have to go searching around.
Cons: Water Hazards beware!! I can't tell you how many times I've brought a friend this year and taught them how to play and lost a disc in the pond on the 3rd hole (Which as of last year they reversed the course so it would be hole 12 now) More then I can count. Since this is my home course I hardely loose discs here myself knowing the layout all too well.

There are in total 6 holes where water comes into play since the course loops around on itself and doubles back on the opposite side of almost everyone of the four ponds.

Since this is a pretty open course and the fairways are long on most of the holes, there is a pretty reasonable chance for loosing discs in the water hazards.

I also had the chance to play here in the winter several times and was able to walk out on the ponds grab my disc once when they were frozen over, which made for a great round in the snow and allowed me to tweak shots in previous years for the spring time to avoid these hazards; be careful as always I not saying you should walk out on the ice at any course and grab your discs.

Recovered most of my discs because they drag the ponds every few months and send divers in every so ofter too to get some big pulls out, but note you will have to pay $2 to get you disc back, they have to pay the diver and they don't want to do it out of pocket.

The course use to be pretty wet two years ago or so, since then they irrigated the course much better and course has dried out considerably.
Other Thoughts: I heard that Dragon Disc Golf has stopped affiliating themselves with the course after last season since their lease was up, not sure what the fate of the course will be in spring, as of now its free play for the winter and the club house is shut down. thanks for letting us play still even for the time being!

Fun fun fun!

1    10/19/2010   10/31/2010
Review By: pinochle
Pros: Beautiful place to learn. The guy working in the shop is really nice and super helpful to beginners. They have rental discs for a buck a piece and a nice shop to boot!
Cons: The course is a little confusing if you're starting out new. However, there is a map on the back of the scorecards to help out. Be prepared to get lost a few times. Also, watch out for the ponds. They're all over and you will play near them.
Other Thoughts: It was my wife and my first time playing disc golf. We had such a great experience that we got ourselves a bunch of discs and are now disc golfers! Whee!

5+    8/26/2010   10/7/2010
Review By: cubby96
Pros: Let's start with a previous flaw that has been fixed: in years past, the footing was pretty sloppy, as the course seemed to have a drainage problem in several areas. They listened to the complaints (presumably here and from locals) and the course maintenance has changed. Despite rain the week I was there, the ground was in good shape. In fact, it was possibly a bit too dry earlier in the week (I played there on multiple days in the same week).

The course is cut and appears more like a ball golf course than most, since it started as one. That said, it is well laid out, with plenty of variety and challenge. If you play the pro tees/pins (I didn't), there are a couple of real doozies.

Love the pin placement on #15, nestled tightly inside a ring of trees, slightly elevated.
Cons: Not terribly easy to find the first time, but I can get there without a map now.

The pro shop meets their needs, but after seeing other courses in the area, it really could do with an update, especially the amount of discs in stock. Prices are good.
Other Thoughts: Pay-to-play hasn't caught on in my area, but it is the norm in Maine. This course was worth the price.

The course pro/manager, Dave, was very pleasant and explained the course changes to me. He is an asset to the course and an enthusiastic ambassador for the sport - a sharp contrast to some of the 'clerks' I saw running the shop at other area courses.