Chicago, IL
Illinois Institute of Tech DGC Share
Uploaded By: RollinInnovas Hole #3 (Taken 8/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Quick play right off the highway

1    12/31/2016   1/1/2017
Review By: ajbova
Pros: Course is set on a college campus in the open green space and weaves in and out of buildings. It is aimed towards beginner / intermediate level players.

Baskets - 9 Innova Discatchers. Although rusted, they are highly visible and very grippy.

Tees - 1 natural tee per hole. Course seems to get played frequently based off of the lack of grass. Tees are mud and easy to spot.

Signs - Billboard at start of course with rules and a map. Individual holes have signs with map, distance, par, and hole number.

Variety - Course is mostly flat with slight elevation on holes 1 and 2. 8 out of 9 holes have mature trees as obstacles. Hole one is the most open, while 4-7 have the most. 5, 6, and 7 are the signature holes of the course. These are the most trees and are tunnel / technical shots.

Benches and trash cans throughout the course.

Easy to navigate.

Right off the highway.

Course is more challenging than it appears. I wanted to give it a 2.25 but that's not available so the challenge gave it the benefit of the doubt.

Course seems to avoid buildings with exception of 4 and avoids the walking path with exception of 9.
Cons: For a course this close to the city, I felt that it accomplished its goal of introducing disc golf to students at the school.

The noise from the highway was extremely loud. Might be a turn off if you enjoy the quietness of courses in parks.

It could use a few next hole signs; after 1, 3, and 4.

Hole 7 sign was missing but I was able to find the muddy tee.

There are a few safety issues with the course...
During school hours, course could be unplayable. There are several picnic tables in the middle of the course. I would recommend weekends and evenings.

Hole 1's tee has a big root in the middle of it.

Didn't exactly know where to park. Ended up parking between baskets of 3 and 7 and walking.

Only 1 tee per hole. They are natural, so I would imagine it would not be too expensive to add a 2nd set of tees and a sign to go with it...
Other Thoughts: I was a big fan of this course. I have been to Chicago a few times and I have passed the signs off the highway knowing there is a course here. Finally I took a trip and had enough time to play it. Took about 30 minutes. I was pleased. Although it is not a destination course, it was nice to play a course near downtown Chicago.

If I could change anything about it, I would shorten hole 5 and move hole 9's tee so that they don't cross. I would also add a few holes. Not too familiar with the land that belongs to the college but there was room to expand.

If passing by, I would recommend it. It's a quick and easy play. If I had extra time, I would play it again, however, next time I go to Chicago, I would like to try some of the courses in the suburbs.

Easily accessible and better than expected

2-4    7/10/2016   8/8/2016
Review By: SpartanDisc
Pros: - In the middle of Chicago and extremely easy to get to by public transportation.
- For a college campus course in a city, there is surprisingly limited threat of hitting a building, car, or pedestrian on just about every hole. However, I have mostly played at non-peak times for students to be out and about. I could see if you play during the day between classes it could get tricky as you throw over a few pedestrian walkways.
- Four holes at 350+ is very impressive for the type of course this is and the location it is at. On most 9 holers like this I wouldn't expect to throw a driver, but here I get to use one on almost half the holes.
- Course design makes the absolute best possible use of the given land. On a city college campus there obviously aren't forests or many trees, but the course makes great use of what is there for a couple surprisingly challenging drives. On a course like I was surprised to throw multiple drivers on a fairly wide variety of lines on the long holes
- Good signs at every hole and a course map at the start of hole 1
Cons: - Obviously, this is a short little 9 hole course in the city so don't expect any stunning holes or forested tunnel shots. For the most part it is quite open
- Quite a few very short holes. While it is fun to use my putter for multiple ace runs in a 9 hole course, they don't offer a huge challenge
- No signs indicating the next tee make it a bit difficult to navigate the first time through. Take a picture of the course map at hole 1 so you can refer to it later
Other Thoughts: You have to take this course for what it is... a small 9 hole course on a college campus in a huge city. I was not expecting much from this course... I only played it because I don't have time to rent a car and drive to the suburbs every time I get the urge to play disc golf. However, I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed this course a lot more than expected. A course like this will never be my go-to course when I really want to play, but it is very nice to have around to scratch the itch every now and again

Note: anywhere else I probably would have given this course a 2. But the prime location and fact that there is nothing else easily accessible to play in the city gives this course that extra half a point.

Too easy

2-4    10/18/2015   10/18/2015
Review By: cander49
Pros: A couple of the par 4s offer interesting lines. Not busy at all on a Sunday morning.
Cons: Extremely easy holes. All the 3s feel like 2.5s and all the 4s feel like 3s or 3.5s.
Other Thoughts: I'm a very average player and I shot -7 my first time here. I made two poor drives; otherwise, I'd have birdied every hole.

Decent little city course...

1    3/28/2015   8/27/2015
Review By: Old Crew
Pros: I had a 7 hour stop during a recent Amtrak trip and found this little 9 hole to be within a reasonable distance of Union Station.

The course surpassed my expectations... although I have only played two other 9 hole courses to compare against and both were VERY short. Several of the holes are longer than a couple hundred feet with a few interesting guardian trees.

Nice area with not nearly the pedestrian traffic I was led to believe would be there. I never had to slow my game. I was able to play 2 rounds in just over an hour.

With par at 31 this course is an ego booster!
Cons: Only a few shots where I COULD have used my driver....but didn't need to. Played the entire round with my mid.
Other Thoughts: Just learning or need a lunch-time round? Perfect!

City-friendly

1    8/9/2015   8/13/2015
Review By: Qikly
Pros: While what makes IIT's DGC truly stand out is its accessibility via Chicago public transportation, this doesn't mean the course itself doesn't have something to offer. I was pleasantly surprised by the design, which sports the ace runs (2, 4, 6) that are typical of small 9 hole courses but balances these with a few much more challenging and interesting holes. 5 would be a solid hole on any course, with a contested hyzer off the tee that leads to a low-ceiling approach for a challenging try at a 3. A roller comes in handy here. 7 forces a wide FH hyzer/BH anhyzer and would make for an impressive 2. Holes like 1, 3, and 8 are less complete but still solid, with obstacles to shape your shot around and/or well-guarded pins. Road OB comes into play throughout and is both intuitive and reasonable in its challenge.

There's a decent diversity of lines here relative to the presence of some short holes and the fact that there's only nine in all: buildings, trees, and OB offer lines, landing zones, and low ceilings to contend with. The course is beginner-friendly but offers enough to keep more experienced players interested. I thought it made for a fun and very quick casual round. One could play it solo in 20-30 minutes easily.

Navigation isn't perfect but is largely intuitive. The course plays in a compact area but avoids feeling jammed in (this might change if the course fills up; when I visited there were only a few others playing). I found the course to be easy to find on campus. Grooming was great when I visited even though school was out. There's little chance to lose a disc as long as you don't attempt to throw a thumber near a building like I did (doh).
Cons: The design is solid considering the surroundings - I especially appreciate the fact that the designer didn't try to jam more holes in - but it's still limited. Four of the nine holes are 209 feet or less, and three of these are just straight runs at the basket. The OB in play on a few of these holes helps, but it's hard not to run such simple holes in a casual round. Overall the challenge factor is lower than you'd like, with the few exceptions noted above. It's simply hard to squeeze more out of surroundings like this.

This course plays through the heart of a college campus, meaning there's every opportunity for conflict with pedestrians. I played at 10 am on a Sunday morning in early August and it was mostly clear, but still had to wait for what was either a maintenance crew or campus police on a golf cart to pass by. Hole 9 was also unplayable due to a temporary fence. These kinds of obstructions are pretty unavoidable given the course's presence in the heart of campus.

Hole 7's tee sign was missing when I played, and it was hard to find the tee (though we managed). The tee boxes are natural and can be unfriendly to footing, with roots and the like. It's manageable but not ideal and would be rough after a rain.
Other Thoughts: I played this course to bag a new state and take an hour off from what was otherwise a business trip, but was pleasantly surprised. For a short 9 in a public setting this course offers more than what I'm used to from comparable surroundings. Definitely worth a stop if you're in the city and want to catch a round!

Also, while you're in town, do yourself a favor and go to the Pork Shoppe.

Engineers Engineers Everywhere but not one to Design it

1    6/20/2014   6/20/2014
Review By: nivek1385
Pros: Good course to show the sport off to new players and it is accessible via both the green and red lines. Right in the middle of the IIT campus, I wish this had existed when I attended IIT. The tee signs are well designed. In addition, there is a full course map displayed near the first tee. There is also a box for scorecards to use, complete with a map of the course (see images for the scorecards).
Cons: There are no tee pads so to speak, just bare dirt. Many of the "tees" haven't even cleared surface-level tree roots to smooth out the tees. Without the map on the scorecard, I would have played hole 8 by accident instead, though that may have just been me (5's tee is the closest tee to 4's basket). Hole 6's tee is currently inaccessible. Being familiar with the IIT campus, I would have liked to have some holes on the other side of State St. and maybe even a hole or two over by the Stuart Building and soccer field (across 31st). Holes 5 and 9 cross each other which can lead to issues if the course gets busy. Being on a college campus, I would imagine that it is nearly unplayable during the regular school year because of pedestrians.
Other Thoughts: The course uses the land it is on quite well, but I think that it could have been designed a little better. It really needs better tee boxes, especially after the rain from the last two days.

City Course

2-4    7/26/2012   1/20/2014
Review By: Bltsandwich1
Pros: This is a nice(ish) course that is in very short walking distance from both red-line and green-line CTA stops along with numerous buses. It is located in the heart of the IIT campus (though this is mostly a negative).

The course weaves through the central part of campus with most obstacles coming from trees, although the placement of tees also makes some statues viable obstacles
Cons: IN THE HEART OF CAMPUS forget playing this course during the school year. I had the blessing of being able to play over the summer when students were few and far between, and STILL I had to adapt my shots not to the course, but to avoid pedestrians. This took fun out of a course that was already just OK.

Navigating the course can be a challenge, but there are signs at every tee which is nice.
Other Thoughts: If you have a chance over the summer take a train down and visit. It's worth the fare to experience once. but avoid during the school year.

Decent 9 hole city course

2-4    8/8/2013   8/8/2013
Review By: Furry Lint Trap
Pros: - Only course in Chicago

- Close to public transit/easy parking

- It is on campus, which makes use of buildings, crosswalks, sculptures...pedestrians as obstacles

- Nice baskets, Tee markers with hole info
Cons: - Short and can get repetitive

- Can get busy during school, which makes peds a real problem and hazard

- Natural tees...and only 1 set
Other Thoughts: A solid, short, urban course. Reason I love it is I work in the Loop and can get in a round or 2 after 5pm no problem. Although this is a beginner course, use caution newer players as if you go long, you can very easily hit buildings, peds, parked (and moving) cars. Played here a couple weeks ago and friend pegged a lady sleeping on a bench. She was not happy. To our credit, we screamed FORE, and she WAS in the middle of a course. Can get a little repetitive, but good practice for your Mid-range/putter. If you have a bit more time, make the drive to Katherine Legge Memorial Park in Hinsdale. This course will continue to be my practice, after work course until something better comes along to Chicago.

Great!! (For the Area)

5+    6/16/2013   6/16/2013
Review By: jnskender
Pros: -In downtown Chicago
-Great practice for approaches
-Not a lot of foot traffic in the summer
-A couple of holes to use a driver and let loose
-Technical OB's that can punish
-Very cool urban feel

Cons: -Flat
-Open shots do get repetitive
-Tees could use some kind of marker or better yet concrete
Other Thoughts: I love this course do to it basically being in my backyard (About a 5 minute bike ride). That being said, it is not artfully designed but is adequate to get a quick round or two to get your fix in for the day.

1    1/19/2013   1/21/2013
Review By: Mark R
This review was updated on 11/5/2015
Pros: Free course with decent signs and baskets. Holes are of respectable length and challenge. Hole 5 at 446 feet allows a chance to air it out. Small trees are often difficult to drive through. Also has a number of obstacles made from campus buildings and other objects. A driver is handy and often necessary, particularly on windy days.
Cons: A flat course in an enclosed area. Parking is a fairly long walk from Hole 1 and is costly. Dirt tees are in poor shape. Signs are parallel rather than perpendicular to the fairway, which may have you looking in the wrong direction for the basket. Several holes overlap, and there are only nine of them to begin with. Small area has little opportunity for improvement. Students and windows are often within striking distance, inhibiting course play level.
Other Thoughts: Course winds through the campus of the Illinois Institute of Technology. Hole 1 is located near the corner of 33rd and State St.

< Prev 1 2 3 4