Chicago, IL
Illinois Institute of Tech DGC Share
Uploaded By: RollinInnovas Hole #4 (Taken 8/2009)
3 / 167ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

1 2 3 Next >
 C- = a little below average for a 9 holer

1    10/10/2009   11/6/2009
Pros: This is an amazing course in that it is in an urban area yet affords a real/legit disc golf experience! It is pretty and green and should work well to get college students knowing the fun that is DG. Major kudos to those involved in getting this course in the ground!

Unfortunately, I am not rating this against other urban campus courses. Rather, my review will rank this course against what I personally like and how it stacks up in my list of 9 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C-
(Other than hole #7, there really is no punishment that has a chance of adding an extra stroke to your score after screwing up.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C-
(The short holes were too short for me to be rewarding and the long ones were to long to expect to reach but short enough to make a score of 3 very routine/boring. The exception is 351' #7 (which also has good shape and OB lurking - the best hole by far!))

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C+
(There are decent amount of variety in shot shape, but nothing really unique. No terrain worth mentioning.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C-
(While it is lush and green and clean for an urban area, .......it is an urban area.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (149 18-hole, 91 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

pretty nice urban course

1    7/9/2009   7/24/2009
Review By: m1ke
This review was updated on 7/30/2009
Pros: Decent variety among holes
-Fair number of obstacles; only a couple supereasy holes
-Every tee has a bench and a trash can
-Next tee signs wherever there's a distance between one hole and the next
-Two "el" line stations a couple blocks away make this course very accessible for those in the city
-Definitely something different in terms of play environment vs. the usual suburban park; I particularly liked that there were sculptures as obstacles on a couple of holes.
Cons: No genuinely exciting holes; while there was no totally boring hole (which is a pretty rare achievement on a 9-hole course), there was also no hole that really caught my attention
-As this is a campus in the middle of the city and several fairways do cross walking paths, you could end up doing a bunch of waiting for walkers to get out of the way
-Kinda busy the day I played; I took note of those benches I mentioned as a pro because I appreciated a place to sit while waiting for players in front of me, and there were more behind me.
-The fairways for holes 7, 8 and 9 crisscross each other to some extent. This compounded the issue with groups of players having to wait even longer for the folks in front of them to be out of the way.
Other Thoughts: It's pretty amazing they were able to fit a course right on part of an urban campus. I'd recommend any player take a trip here once just to see it; it's a good enough course you won't regret coming here once even if it's not exciting enough to keep an experienced player coming back.

I didn't have to wait even once for a "pedestrian hazard" to move- I'd deliberately waited until summer to play this course, and recommend others just dropping by to check it out do the same.

2-4    6/10/2009   6/10/2009
Review By: DiscGolfinTheD
Pros: Very easy to navigate and fun to play. The only course within the chicago city limits, its awesome to be able to jump off the CTA and be at a disc golf course instead of just more city. Holes clearly marked, easy to follow next tee directions, and very friendly atmosphere. Great beginner course due to the length of most holes.
Cons: There are a few drives you can bomb but you need to be wary of people either not understanding they are on a disc golf course or people just walking between the buildings. A few of the fairways play back and forth over walkways in between the buildings and 2 holes you actually shoot towards the road.
Other Thoughts: Even with these cons as long as you understand your "bag" and just be patient with the walkers it is a great course. Also at tee 1 there is a larger map for newer players so you know where to go. It states there are score cards and pencils but the box has always been empty as far as i know. Other reviews state there is nowhere to go to the bathroom; well if you go right across the street to the mccormick center they have public bathrooms in there and a 7-11 if you need something else. All and all if it was longer and had less pedestrians I would give this course a 4 no problem.

Great Chicago course

2-4    9/8/2008   3/13/2009
Review By: JohnnyLounge21
Pros: There's nothing like being a Chicago local and having the opportunity to drive from downtown in a convertable and play a very nice disc golf course so close to home. Parking is free and accessible only steps from the first tee. It's one of those courses where you really don't need to know the course to play all the way through the first time, easily. Holes were clearly marked and you could see downtown Chicago in the distance from most holes. If you want to feel like you're in Chicago, but also feel like you're playing disc golf - this is the course. I just love it.
Cons: Holes are short and so is the course. But a lady friend and you can go through the course relatively quickly without her getting bored. If you were with a buddy and a 40oz, it's the perfect length (so bring 2). I've been several times and would have enjoyed having the score cards available, they were always out when I was there. The water station is a great touch - but it's always empty.
Other Thoughts: I really can't ask for more than this for a free, nice urban course.

Great City Course

5+    9/10/2008   9/11/2008
Review By: SunIsBlue15
Pros: Overall a pretty solid course. This course gets some extra points for me simply because it's located so close to the city, and so close to public transportation. The signage on the course is great, and the baskets are high quality and new. There are nice benches all over the course (it is on a campus afterall), and a lot of those benches are right next to the tee box. Small trash cans are also by a lot of the tee boxes. At hole #5 they have a spot for "Fresh Water'...but it's never been filled since I've been playing there.
Cons: Unfortunately they don't have concrete pads to tee off from. It's just dirt...and since it tends to rain a lot in Chicago I've slipped several times. Not a huge deal. Also, the course is a bit short which makes it pretty easy to get a lot of birdies. I would rate myself as a pretty average player, and I can birdie every hole.

Once school is in session it's almost impossible to play a round during the early afternoon / morning without nailing people. I don't even bother. But after 5 it's fine.
Other Thoughts: I talked with someone that works for IIT and he said they were probably going to put concrete pads in. That would be a huge plus for me as I slip a lot when driving. I'm extremely grateful for a well-though out course in the middle of a city campus. Without it I wouldn't be able to play nearly as much as I get to now.

Short but Sweet

1    6/8/2008   6/23/2008
Review By: jace
This review was updated on 3/23/2009
Pros: Great tee signs which indicated the hole layout. Also had scoredcards at first tee with a map which was awesome.

We loved the hole variety and placement of the baskets amidst the trees. Very challenging short course that was extremely fun because we were typically putting for birdie every hole.

The layout of the course between campus buildings was also very well done. Very easy to navigate hole to hole and played very quickly since there was NOBODY else playing.

Even though the course was relatively short, I found there were several options right of the tee pad as well as some approach shots that left me taking chances for the birdie quite often. Again - basket location around the trees was great!
Cons: Only 9 holes
Muddy tees after a rain
Campus Buildings locked - no restroom
No terrain changes - very flat
Other Thoughts: location was right off the "el green line" at 35th street. Only 10 minutes from downtown Chicago.
Concrete tees would make it a 3.5.
Another 9 holes and this is a great short course that anyone can play and have alot of fun on!!! in my opinion a perfect course on a college campus that introduces a wide variety of people to the sport - great to play!

Decent Little Course

1    5/14/2008   5/16/2008
Review By: darktoaster
This review was updated on 5/29/2009
Pros: The course weaves between campus streets, buildings, and random sculptures to create some interesting shots. Additionally the holes were all fairly different. The tee signs and scorecards were very nice.
Cons: It is only a 9 hole course and roughly a third of the holes are very short( less than 200ft). On nearly all of the holes you will have to contend with walkers. The pads were all dirt/grass/mud.
Other Thoughts: It is easily reachable from downtown chicago via the 'el' trains green line. There was a fairly strong steady wind but that was to be expected due to the fact that the course is in the "Windy City". Due to the relative newness of the course many students and employees on campus asked me what I was playing.

1 2 3 Next >