Newport, NH
Pinnacle Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #11 (Taken 7/2011)

Peak of Perfection

1    8/21/2014   9/14/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Pinnacle is unlike most any other disc golf course I have played, because it shares land with the only ski jump practice facility I have seen in person. That should be evidence of the radical elevation changes encountered here. It is a course next to the local high school, that is built and maintained by the students in some resource management classes. They are doing a great job if you ask me. There are lots of ups and downs, and lots of trees as well. It is a workout treading up and down these slopes, worse if you get bad rolls or lose a disc. Hole 2 is a long one, and with a sharp left and steeply up hill at the end. My drive missed on hole 3 to the left, and trust me, you don't want to do that. It is down hill fairly steep and wooded, and slick with pine needles. Very hard to recover. There are three par 4 holes, and this is a tough 57. 14 was a really good hole, long and downhill and turning right. Most of the middle section here are short to medium distance, weaving between trees, up and down the slopes. Making up what it lacks in distance, with elevation and vegetation. I shot a 66, and only managed one birdie on the single round I played. Ironically that came as I hastily chucked discs, rushing through the last four holes to escape a cloudburst. I liked the winding layout that was constantly changing direction, but not difficult to follow. No one else was playing when I was there, and it was overcast but pretty nice out when I arrived.
Cons: The signs and the tees could be improved, but the spirit of the course shines through the minor blemishes. If they leveled the boxes and installed flypads, and got sponsors to furnish nice signage, I would boost the rating to a 4 easily. I played at the end of the summer, and the last 5 holes had some seriously overgrown fairways. Lost a Roadrunner on 14, but was called the next day and it was returned. Big ups to Rudy for the assist.
Other Thoughts: Pinnacle is pretty great by my standards. It was hard to only give a 3.5. I would have went with a 4 usually, but I'm trying to be more discerning in my reviews. The tangibles are there, and with a little more work the course would make the jump from very good to excellent.

You better be accurate

2-4    9/8/2014   9/8/2014
Review By: Adventureortiz
Pros: This is a pretty challenging course for me right now and I need to appreciate that. I have been working on my distance in drives and have played a few more open fairway courses. This was a humbling experience to be back at Pinnacle where accuracy is KEY. The course is clean and well maintained. All the bugs are gone by now (Sept) so it was an extremely pleasant day on the course. If you are up for a wooded challenge, this is the course for you.
Oh.. and it is free... always a plus.
Cons: The trees are brutal. You can through a great drive and it sails down the fairway... but careens off a tree and lands a bit off the fairway. Typically no big deal but at Pinnacle that can add 2 strokes as you fight through the dense trees to find the fairway and basket again. I can totally see this as a pro for the course but on this day... It was very frustrating playing pinball through the maze of trees. My fault for throwing off the fairway...
The Tee pads are a bit eroded and could use a raking.
Other Thoughts: This is a course with a fair amount of variety but the overall theme here is narrow fairways and heavily wooded. I think next time I will put away my distance drivers and focus more on my fairways and mids to keep me on the fairways.

Great Free Course in NH

1    6/28/2014   6/29/2014
Review By: TBabb
Pros: The Pinnacle Disc Golf course is located behind the Newport, NH Middle High School in the woods. The course is free to play, which is often not the case in New England. The design of this course is wonderful, weaving up and down a wooded hill. There are many memorable shots here. There is plenty of variation between left, right, straight, uphill, flat, and downhill shots. The first hole starts out in the open but then the rest of the course is in tight woods. There are benches on many holes. The course is quite clean despite the lack of trashcans throughout. Challenge here comes from thick woods, varied elevation, some OB, and creative basket placement. Hole distances run between 208 and 511 feet on the long holes and shorter tees will make life easier on beginners. The scenery is beautiful, the area has a lovely smell of pine and the shade keeps things cooler in the summer months. There's also a huge ski jump here which is a sight to behold. I was here on a beautiful summer day and it seemed I had the whole course to myself, so crowds are not an issue. There are many mountain biking trails, and a ropes course here too.
Cons: The tees are functional but could be better. They are made of gravel, but small and often ripped up by an aggressive pair of cleats. Baskets aren't in great condition, but they still catch ok. Hole signs are hand drawn and not very informative and questionably accurate. There are navigation signs, but they are easy to miss. We never got lost, but navigation could have been easier. There are tons of bugs here, you'll want to take a bath in Off! before you arrive. There's plenty of parking, though I imagine it could be an issue during the school day. No restrooms unless you can get into the school.
Other Thoughts: The design aspect of the course is where the course really shines. Lots of great holes with a steady flow, beautiful scenery, and adequate challenge. However, a lot of the basics of a disc golf course do leave a little to be desired. With mediocre baskets, tee pads and signage, this 4 star course gets knocked down to a 3.5. Still worth a visit and plays great, but there are better courses out there.

Bring the Good Plastic, Boots and Camera

1    10/6/2012   1/7/2013
Review By: jtrod
Pros: Very beautifully nestled in the woods. There is a lot of challenging holes. Tee pads were well taken care of. The signage for each hole was great. Multiple tees for most all the holes but not all the tees have pads.
Cons: No course map showing location of next tee pad from basket. A lot of TREES, no cheap plastic.
Other Thoughts: This was totally different from the courses in San Diego, I will be back. Maybe instead on the flags or old pieces of wood marking the extra tee spots, how about using some of the natural rocks or wood as markers, similar to the beautiful benches on the course.

Into the Woods

5+    4/25/2012   4/27/2012
Review By: roBailey
Pros: 1st pro = FREE!

A great layout (and workout) using Pinnacle Mountain for a challenging 18 holes. Heavily wooded, this course is hard for beginners and pros alike. Recently I have noticed a lot of work and time getting put into clearing up brush and fallen trees.
Cons: Trees. Lots of trees. This course has a very narrow fairway, on some holes not more than a few feet wide, and the trees are unforgiving.
Other Thoughts: Bring old beat-up discs, for you will need them to get yourself out of the woods to save your better plastics.

Why all the praise?

2-4    4/24/2010   4/28/2010
Review By: Mergz
This review was updated on 1/14/2013
Pros: A nice course with decent baskes, placed at proper height. And this course provides a great physical work out and a beautiful walk in the woods.
Cons: Too many trees. I've played plenty of wooded courses but this one is crazy. There is not enough variety in hole layout. It seemed every tee or at least every other tee was faced with a wall of trees. I actually like courses with some wide open holes or at least some forgiving routes. If you throw a disc even slightly out of the narrow fairways, it's nearly impossible to recover a decent score.
Other Thoughts: Hole 1 is nice and hole 2 is interesting and there are a couple of open holes, but I don't see why all the praise for this course. I drove 1 1/2 hrs to play in the tournament and the first time at the course. I had a great time but I wouldn't drive that long to play there again, when I can drive a little less and play Maple Hill.

1/8/2013 Update - With development and improvement in my game, I now enjoy the challenges that this course provides.

Great Place

2-4    9/6/2009   9/8/2009
Review By: NH Disc Dude
This review was updated on 10/27/2010
Pros: Great trails, well marked holes. Free! Good course, I took two friends who had never played disc golf before and even with the tight fairways and many trees they both had a great time. I would play it weekly if i lived closer. Has HUGE potential with some more work.
Cons: Not for the impatient. Many a disc will find the trees even for more experienced players. But it makes each good shot that much more enjoyable. This course will make you a better golfer if you play it.
Other Thoughts: The tee boxes are pro distance but there are red and blue markers for intermediate and beginner. I met James, the builder/caretaker Great guy, if you see him out there take a minute to talk to him or even lend a hand.