Oroville, CA
Riverbend Park - South Share
Uploaded By: sactoduck916 Hole #9 (Taken 11/2009)

Nice shots, dangerous layout

1    11/26/2013   12/17/2013
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a mostly flat park along the river. A few holes on the back 9 use the small hills available to offer a couple downhill shots and one tricky uphill hole. The rest of the course plays through a mix of open areas and forest with enough underbrush to punish shots that miss the fairway.

Several holes play pretty technical, with low ceilings and tight gaps to hit. It felt like there was an ok mix of left and right turning holes overall. There aren't any real bombers, but there's still ok distance variety with several reachable holes and a couple longer shots in the 350-400' range where many players will pull out a driver. The tees are perfectly fine concrete pads and the signage is solid enough to follow the course and know where to throw.
Cons: The walking path is in play on most of the front 9. It seems to be pretty popular, and runs right through or along several fairways. There are a couple spots where there is a blind corner and you can't see whether a pedestrian is in your landing zone.

There are a lot of shorter shots here, about 3/4 of the course is reachable with a putter or mid for most players. Many of the holes that do bend one way or another are just straight shots with a small curve at the end so you don't end up shaping very interesting lines on those. There are some nasty patches of poison oak to watch out for.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find this course tough with some tighter lines and some punishing rough, but the distances are pretty approachable for new players. More experienced players will find this course fun but not a huge challenge. This course is worth a stop if you're in the area, I recommend playing on a week day to avoid some of the conflicts with the walking path.

Worth the drive

1    7/12/2009   7/14/2009
Review By: DuBose
Pros: Nice mix of right and left shots. Both hooks and fades. Most pins are reachable for an intermediate player, but with a lot of small window fairways. All of the holes have GREAT pads stamped with the hole #. I think that almost all of the pads had some type of a bench to sit if needed and many had trash cans. The park itself had multiple bathrooms and a couple of really neat things to do with a family, including the Feather River, a small lake in the back and a really cool miniature rock climbing play area for little guys. We were there in the late morning and we never had to wait. The few people that we did see or talk to were very friendly.
Cons: MANY of the maps at the pad were missing. We had some trouble finding the next pad, but we did finally bump into some locals that were able to give us some direction. The main reason I didn't score this any better is because of all the underbrush. Just like the others mentioned, there is a LOT of tall grass and blackberries. If you get off the fairway at all you will be in it. We spent some time looking for disc, and it's not fun in shorts. I didn't see much poison oak except for hole #10, but that is the biggest patch that I have ever seen. DO NOT GO TO THE RIGHT ON HOLE 10, stay up on the levy or fall left.

Other Thoughts: I don't play very often due to a busy schedule, but I do enjoy traveling to play many different courses. There are some REALLY nice courses out there. This is a fun course to play and it is worth the trip, but I wouldn't put it in my top 5. I didn't notice on the main page that there were 2 courses here. We missed the turn on the dirt road and played the north course first. We were VERY disappointed. Luckily we bumped into someone that told us there was another course. I figured that had to be the one I was looking for. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CLOSELY, THEY ARE VERY ACCURATE, You want to make sure you play this course. The guy who told me about it hadn't even played it yet, he just knew it was there. I believe this course is a solid 3 disc rating, I only gave it a 3 hoping it will slide the overall down from the 4.