Richmond, KY
Camp Catalpa DGC Share
Uploaded By: adam423 Hole #7 (Taken 9/2009)
3 / 170ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #7/#16 Tee: #7 sharp dogleg right, #16 curves left.

1 2 Next >
 Great in Spring

5+    3/24/2010   3/27/2010
Review By: Switters213
Pros: - Good basket placements. To do well on this course you're going to need a good mix of left and right shots.
- Good hole maps. There doesn't seem to be any maps of the whole course that i can find, but each tee pad has a signpost with a pretty good map of the hole.
- Great use of elevation. The couple long holes make use of those great "over the valley" drives we all love.
- Rest stops. Almost every tee has a garbage can and a bench.
Cons: - Thorns. The rough here is completely filled with a dozen different kinds of thorny vines and bushes, and if you've got to go in after your disc..well...i hope you're wearing long pants.
- Mud. Even though this course is set in rolling hills, it still gets awful soupy out there after it rains.
- Some of the tee pads are rather small. If you like to use a big x-step when you drive, you might feel a little boxed in.
Other Thoughts: - This course doesn't offer a lot of opportunities to throw long drives. If you only play disc golf to launch those long bombs, then this course may not be for you. But if you can appreciate that long drives are only one part of a greater game, then Catalpa is a nice place to be.
- If you're going to bring alcohol to the course, keep it out of sight when you're in view of the parking lot. The park is regularly patrolled and Richmond cops are notoriously heavy-handed with college kids and non-residents.

B = Better Than Average

1    8/20/2008   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A

Cool concept

2-4    11/4/2008   11/5/2008
Review By: adam423
Pros: Holes are short and wooded, favoring controlled shots over big arms. The fairways are cleared well enough that you don't have to thread the needle on every shot. Does a great job of using 2 baskets per fairway, and not making it seem like you're playing the same hole twice. I liked the tee signs, they had info on different species of bird, at least it would give you something to do if you were behind a slow group.
Cons: Stay in the fairway, or else... the course is in a bird sanctuary, so I wouldn't expect the rough to be cleared much. With having 18 holes on 9 fairways, I could see backups being a problem if many people were playing.
Other Thoughts: If you stay in the fairway this course is pretty easy, lots of 2 and 3 opportunities. I land way left on 8 every time, home to the thickest brush pile in the world. Be warned.

It looks like the club is trying to remedy the mud problem by placing stepping stones along certain areas of the path, but I've never played after a rain so I can't say for sure if it works or not.

Since there are multiple paths going everywhere, it could be confusing on which one to take, look for the white signs with arrows on them.

If I had to choose a wooded course around Lexington, I'd play Veteran's over Catalpa, its longer and more challenging I think, but this is still a fun course.

I saw a turkey there last time I played...

Short and heavily wooded

3/23/2008   3/25/2008
Review By: broken_star
Pros: Nice mix of shots, very tight woods, nice "in the woods" beginner course, great utilization of land
Cons: horrible walk from 5 to 6 (i used a cut through instead of walking the quarter mile around the park), many stumps still in fairway, lots of debris on a few of the fairways, course gets very muddy, many fairways lined with briars
Other Thoughts: I really liked the idea of the dual baskets on a small piece of land but i would honestly like to see a little bit of a redesign due the long walk from 5 to 6 (15-16).

1/9/2008   3/1/2008
Review By: dwain
Pros: Despite only having 9 tees, this course does a remarkable job of changing up the alternate holes to keep it from feeling like a repeat. The first 9 are mostly sidearm holes while the back 9 are better for backhand throwers. The course has been cleared fairly well, so although it's a wooded course, there are straight shots to the holes and plenty of birdie possibilities.
Cons: Horribly muddy. Hole 7/17 (or 6/16?) is nasty to walk. Also beware of the house ruins (former meth lab?) and rusty nails. Hole 2 is right next to a lake, and if you sidearm over the fence, you probably won't be getting your disc back.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth the 30 minute drive from Lexington if you're up for a fairly fast round.

1 2 Next >