Asheboro, NC
North Asheboro Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #15

2-4    2/19/2011   2/20/2011
Review By: _MTL_
Pros: - Good mix of holes - I would say over half the holes are really good disc golf holes.
- Signs w/ distances
- Large poles w/ numbers above the baskets make it easier to see them and also make sure you are throwing to the correct basket
- Good use of elevation
- No really boring distances - all holes are good tests of skill, in terms of distance.
Cons: - Some really bad holes. Hole 1's pin is in an awful place (way too guarded), hole 2 is terrible and hole 8 could be the best hole on the course by simply moving the tee 50 - 75 feet to the left. This would also get that tee further from 7's basket (see below)
- Lots of non golfer traffic
- No par 4's or 5's
- Some baskets way to close to the next tee
- Course doesn't flow very well. You have to make sure you are on the correct hole or you will certainly be playing holes out of order quickly.
Other Thoughts: A quick fun course - good course for a first course in a town. I just hate seeing bad holes where very simple changes could be made (i.e. 1's pin and 8's tee) and they would be drastically better.

Not worth driving to play it, but if you are within 20 - 30 minutes of it, worth heading out there and checking it out.

Good Times... Low Scores.

2-4    3/25/2010   4/9/2010
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Brother Dave. Not only did Brother Dave meet me out there to guide me around the course a few times, but he is an animal when it comes to picking up trash. He must have picked up 20 or pieces of trash throughout the two rounds and carted it around until the next available trashcan. It was infectious… at one point I started picking up trash. Pick up trash people… or better yet Don't Litter.
- Fun Little Course. North Asheboro was a decent little course. The Front 9 played through a wooded portion of the park, while the Back 9 played primarily in the open, although trees definitely play role on all the holes. The shots ranged in distance from 220-360 and utilized the elevation and natural features perfectly. Some of the fairways force particular types of shots… annys, flicks, hyzers, s-turns, dead straight. The fairways were mostly fair and good shots were rewarded with birdie looks. Overall it was really fun.
- Hole 15… could be on any disc golf course anywhere and be a gem. It's just a really beautiful hole… 315' flat to slightly downhill natural hyzer shot… over a small creek that bisects the fairway at a steep angle from left to right but running most of its length… and through a 20' wide tunnel of trees before opening out onto a grass field.
- Marked Really Well. There are more than enough navigational aids here. Every basket has a large (1' circle) yellow, metal sign that is sticking up about 2.5' above the basket with the Hole number on it. They also have a lot of next-tee signs where the flow is not natural.
Cons:
- Flow. There were a couple of spots where the flow wasn't intuitive. Although they did have signage pointing the way, some of the transitions weren't ideal.
- Possible Interference Issues. Although Brother Dave told me that it really wasn't an issue most of the time, there were several times when we had interference issues with other park users. Soccer, baseball practice, walkers, soccer, etc… All in all it was fine… just be patient.
- Questionable Pars. I'm a big fan of Par 4's and 5's (when they're properly marked). However, the Par 4's here are a little too short to be realistic for the intermediate to advanced player… For recreational players the posted pars are probably appropriate. I decided to play it "Pro-Par".
- Thanks for the round Brother Dave.
- My Score: -7

Pretty Fun

2-4    4/7/2010   4/8/2010
Review By: AdamCaudle
Pros: - I like the variety of shots here. I lot of lefty/forehand friendly holes. There's also a good bit of elevation difference throughout the course. My favorite use of elevation was the downhill shot on hole 9.
- Most of the fairways are well defined. Even the really tight 300 foot shot is a clear path, it just happens to be 5 feet wide.
- The teepads were of adequate length and in good condition, nice and rough for grip.
- The tee signs were decent but only showed par and length, although locating bakets isn't too hard at this course. The baskets each have about a 3 foot extension on the top of them in bright yellow paint with the number of the hole painted on it.
- There's a very good variety of open shots, and tight shots. The front 9 is generally tighter and more wooded, while the back 9 has more open shots.
- A decent sized creek comes into play on a few holes (6,9,11,18). The water was decently clear and moved pretty slowly, so I don't think losing a disc in it is too big of a deal.
- Although the course is on the shorter side, the woods make it tough enough to challenge a very low score. You must execute your shots well to score well here.
Cons: - I thought the par 4's weren't really 4's so I just played them as 3's. I mean ,come on, the longest hole is like 360 feet and wide open.
- I would've liked to seen a slightly better balance between left and right turning shots, most of the woods holes are either straight or right turning.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed playing this course as it had some tough holes and some easy birdies. I can see where it could get very crowded as it is a multi-use park, although it was almost empty when I was there. Overall I would recommend to anyone in triad area.

Quick play

2-4    12/29/2009   12/29/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Concrete tee pads and bright signs on top of the baskets make navigation and spotting the baskets easy. Most holes are short and playing for par can be fairly easy. Several of the holes play through some wooded hills and add some challenge. A couple are almost chuck and pray holes, but the woods aren't so bad as to leave you without hope on your second shot. Several shots on the back nine that play through mostly open fields with just a few trees to navigate around.
Cons: Not any real intersesting or unique holes. Not much length to the course. Several of the holes can be wet and muddy almost all the time. I played last summer and now in winter and they were damp both times. Not a swamp but something to deal with.
Other Thoughts: A nice little course, and worth playing if you are in the area. Godd place to bring your mid range and putters. Not worth a long drive, but if you heading down 64 stop in and give it a try, it's a quick play.

You can score well here

2-4    11/7/2009   11/8/2009
Review By: PanicKJ
This review was updated on 8/13/2010
Pros: The front nine holes are wooded and pretty much alternate from slightly wooded, to thread the needle wooded. These holes present a good challenge by requiring accuracy however none are very long as the average hole length is approx 235 feet.

The back nine is open with few trees and rolling hills. There are two or three over 300 but the rest of them are still pretty short.

The park seemed to be very clean and really didn't have a problem getting three rounds in with four people playing as it is a short course and an easy walk. The course starts and ends at the parking lot and is easy enough to navigate. There is a bathroom and vending machines as well.
Cons: For a newer player like myself there really aren't any cons. I honestly think it provides enough challenge for the more experienced player also however you will need to leave the destroyers and bosses at home!
Other Thoughts: I let my friend use a champ JK Valk that I had and he threw it in the brush on hole 10. It had been raining and the whole right side of the fairway was like a marsh. Needless to say three people with soaking wet feet and I still didn't get my disc back. Even if it is dry the brush over there is thick so be wary. As long as you can throw it over no need to worry but if you don't have the arm for it throw to the left of the tree and go for the safe three.

6/18/2008   6/18/2008
Review By: joshdarkstar
Pros: All of the tees and baskets are clearly labeled (with the exception of 2), and there is a map of the entire course at hole 1. The course is well kept which is always a plus. I had some difficulty finding the first tee, but it's because there are 3 different parking lots, and I happened to choose the wrong one.
Cons: The hole should be mapped out on the tee signs. I had a lot of trouble seeing some of the pins due to the massive amounts of trees. The basket for 17 was nowhere to be found. Same with the tee for 18, so I only played 16 holes.
Other Thoughts: Well, this course was a major reality check. I thought I was good until I played this course. Either I was sadly mistaken, or this course is TOUGH. My poor score could be due to the fact that I am not familiar with the discs I used. I also think that I shot so poorly because I have never played the course. Definitely a good choice if you are in the area though. I would play again in a heartbeat.

Oh yeah, watch out for hawks on hole 3!! I had one fly right at me about head level. I was checking my pants after that happened...

1    3/8/2008   3/8/2008
Review By: Ryan P.
This review was updated on 6/25/2010
Pros: It's a good balance of challenge for the advanced player but not too long for the newer ones. a lot of different shots than most courses, such as a hole that is blocked by trees in the shape of a crescent moon, and other things. Some holes have no clear path to the basket; but the ones that do, it's different for every hole. I love the course, there's holes that I have birdied every time but hole's that I still don't know how to play well.
Cons: There's only one hole that you can just let it rip on, and the advanced player will get it to that pin. Also, hole 5 is temporarily closed, but the city said they will redesign and replace it soon.
Other Thoughts: A good variety of shots. WIthin the first 7 holes there are 2 slight lefts, a hard left, a slight right, a hard right, an S curve, and a straight hole. 8 is straight for 25 feet, and then there's a hard right for 300 feet to the basket. 9 is the most unique hole i've ever seen. you start on a hill with trees everywhere, you throw it low with a good amount of annie (right curve for us backhanders) and once you get off of the hill there's an open 150 feet until you get to the tee-which is blocked by 7 trees in the shape of a crescent moon. it's pretty sweet to look at. 10 is a good drive with a nice hill as a backstop, 11 is off of the same hill 9 is on, but straight and downhill. 12 has a row of trees 40 feet from the tee, making accuracy a must. 13 you can go right or left around the trees up the hill, 14 has no real good path, 15 is a 350 straight drive that hooks 40 feet to the left at the end, 16 is right around some trees, 17 is the easiest hole on planet earth (170 foot shot with one 7 foot tree in the way) and 18 is over a nice stream, a railing, and under two trees. 18 is fun, and so is 9. Have fun playing!