Lake Villa, IL
Longwood Centre Park Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #4 (Taken 4/2011)
-- / 204ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #4 Approach

older perspective

1    8/9/2009   8/9/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: Not really applicable to the present situation...however, there were a couple of the most interesting (?) shots I've ever seen on Longwood's original layout.
Hole #5 (?) had an unseen pin, from the tee. The drive had a small pond/swamp in the landing area; if you were short. Shot was annheiser (rhbh) and was blind (as mentioned); with a wooded finish and small entrance to green; past the small pond (you had to go over top the water/swamp to enter the green area).
The hole following this one; required a kneeling on the tee drive from my playing partner; due to a small hill top tee and an extremely low window to throw through; to get to the pin in heavy woods. I went over top the canopy with a tomahawk and crashed down through the forest for a nice deuce putt (which I missed....drats!).
The original last hole (#9), was one of the craziest water holes I've ever seen. Anyone who has been there, probably saw the big pond with the fountain in it. You drove from one end of that pond with well over 300 ft. (probably 350 ft.) to get over the whole water feature; to the pin on the far side. Tee was dead center of pond on one end; pin, dead center on the opposite... If you could make the throw (it really may have been 400+; as we both were absolutely sure we had no chance of making the back side on the drive; absolutely no chance!), you would likely have to go through or near the fountain, spraying upwards; on the drive!
Playing to one bank or another, then, was the only option seemingly available. Trouble was the embankment's running to the water were at an extremely steep angle. I'm not great on angles; but 60% or something nearly straight up and down. You felt like a mountain goat, throwing your second shot....Also, this, of course, meant that most shots would roll into the pond; even if you landed on dry ground along the edge. The slanted part of the ground leading to the pond was more than 70 ft. from top edge too; so there was no where to go; other than to hit the steep part; and even to hit this land required a 250 foot shot (as the pond is quite wide)!
Then....you would still have at least a 300 foot shot to pin; from the billy goat stance!!!!....with the same slanted, landing area to get to, on your next shotI
If you continued to play the hole (we had given it up by this point), the pin was perched on the back edge of pond; with same steep rollaway back towards the pond; so....even your putt would be very dangerous.
(This description getting long...) Hole was very pretty with the fountain and all; but, rather impossible to play. I threw my first one in the pond, with a disc I didn't know and didn't care about losing; and called it a day. My playing partner, played for the right shore; with a pretty well thrown anheiser; but didn't quite make it. However, his disc was floating upside down and he ended up stripping down to his underwear and swimming for it....entering the pond almost right next to the sign (which he didn't see) that said, No Swimming. He got it back and then he drove one more shot; making dry land; but nearly rolling back in. He was still a long way from the pin, shooting four with the water stroke, and another slanted to the pond fairway staring him in the face and then he called it a day as well. Neither of us finished the hole.
Interesting, if crazy, stuff......
Cons: Even this layout had difficult to find tees with no yardage, or hole design description.
Tees natural.
The rest of the holes were quite plain.
You had to be inventive on the shots described; but most player's would have found them excessively weird/tough/impossible.
I'm sure few ever played the last hole; and those that did, would almost certainly end up swimming for a dragon, if they had played a smart disc. Since they didn't want you in the pond, I'm sure the park quickly said you must do away with this hole.
In other words, this course has been sort of a design fiasco from the start.
Other Thoughts: I'm glad I had a chance to see it originally. Sounds like things have gone from quite bad to even worse; since then. I simply wanted to document the original layout. I probably would have given that a 1.5 due to the humor in the design!!!
We can only hope that when finally, they get nine real holes in the ground, they will have something playable.

bad course

1    8/6/2010   8/9/2010
Review By: dracimus
Pros: Nothing is good at this place.

Nothing positive to review about this course
Cons: You will not know where tee is and direction to basket. bad designed. so I ended up practicing throwing the disc with my friend.

Other Thoughts: don't bother going there.

Not Worth a Second of Your Time...Yet

1    6/20/2010   6/22/2010
Review By: juanbond
This review was updated on 7/7/2010
Pros: UPDATE 7/7/10: Course redesign in progress here.

There really aren't any legitimate pros to mention for this course.

Like another reviewer said, there are some baskets here, if you want to call that a pro.

Perhaps the only real pro is that the course doesn't see much traffic, if any at all. You certainly won't run into any overcrowding issues here!

It's sad to say that some of the only pros for the course all have to do with the rest of the park! This park has a nice shelter, a decent skate park, and a fitness trail.
Cons: The course was impossible to navigate. There is no course map, no signage, few if any visible teeing areas, and no direction to the next tee. At least post a sign with the layout, or at a bare minimum, point the players to the first tee.

I was only able to find four baskets, I'm not sure whether this was due to theft or not. I did not find any tees at all.

The first hole was across very nasty, uneven ground...be careful not to twist an ankle!

The second hole was very short and wooded, and the teeing area was simply implied by the fairway, not designated in any way.

Aside from these first two holes, I could only find two more baskets, out in the open area in the park. And this was after searching the woods for ten minutes near basket two.
Other Thoughts: Even if you are the sort of player that simply likes to play as many different courses as possible, regardless of quality, this course simply isn't worth the time. It is bound to make you regretful of your decision to play it.

The sad thing is, this land is fairly varied (thick woods, open fields, some older isolated big trees, marshy areas with tall grass), and could easily be home to a 3+ star nine-hole course. I have contacted the local Parks and Recreation department to get an idea as to whether they have renovation or redesign plans. I will update this review if/when I hear back from them.

UPDATE July 1, 2010: I spoke with the village office, and they informed me that a full course redesign was almost complete. I stopped by the course and it appears all baskets have been pulled.

D Grade = Dud

1    10/19/2008   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- D
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- D
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- D
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C-