Rice, MN
Osprey DGC @ Benton Beach Share
Uploaded By: Bubbajoe Hole #11 (Taken 6/2011)
Hole #11 Approach

5+    9/20/2014   10/2/2014
Review By: Disconkey
Pros: Great course to warm up on
Love the first 6 holes
Nice tee-pads
Some variety in obstacles
Cons: There are way to many water hazards
The grass on hole 6 if you throw your disc accidently with an anihyzer angle and land in the grass you will most likely not find your discs!
Other Thoughts: If they mowed that tall grass on hole 6 and set up the baskets differently away from the water i would give this maybe 3-4 discs

1    6/17/2012   6/17/2012
Review By: timj5304
Pros: I have drove through this area many times and never knew of a course right off of Hwy 10 right there. It is in a nice campground which as many before have stated it gets the sport out there.

-Little to no traffic
-a quick round, only took 45 minutes to play
-nicely mowed, which surprised me
-scorecards at the first hole, was my first time and I would not of known where to go.
-Nice tee pads
-well used land that they have, used the creek and pond and made some tight fairways that were not fair!
Cons: -nasty pond
-too many short holes that were mostly straight that did not take alot of skill to deuce
Other Thoughts: Overall I rate any course high based on nice teepads, scorecards and being mowed well. A great course for any family or newer players without a big arm. IF your just looking to throw 400 ft+ bombs, do not waste your time. If your a person who does not have pinpoint accuracy and want to work on it this place is great because there is little to no traffic and you can work on extra shots!

1    9/3/2009   9/4/2009
Review By: jskatt21
Pros: -Nice new baskets, very well marked, each hole has a sign with an accuracte description of the hole, and I felt that the tee pads were perfect size, however my wife and I are beginners.
-They proved a map and scorecard right at the beginning.
-This was a great course to test out our drives, without having to worry about hitting a tree every five feet. It starts out with some nice open shots, with some good positioning of the holes, and then tightens up at the end.
-I agree with the last reviewer, that the creek kept you honset on your approaches. Without the creek, some of these would have been too short and too easy. We had no problems retrieving a disc that landed in the creek. Very clear, and not mucky!
-Nice campground, would be nice to camp there and play a bunch over a weekend.
-Really fun Hole 8, with a huge dog leg left. Too a bit to scout out and decide how to approach.
Cons: -Pond on hole 12 is NASTY! I tried to clear the pond, and as I stated I am a beginner, I used a crappy disc just in case I lost it, which I did. Wife went around on the left side as the map suggests, later we went to the edge where we thought it could have gone. It is so gross that you could see where is landed and skipped in the water. I would not recomend going in there.
-We wanted to go for a dip in the lake. DO NOT GO IN THERE. This lake has been having problems with green algae, and is very disgusting. To bad too, cause it would make this an even better campground.
-Needs to have signs as you approach the campground, letting you know where the course starts.
Other Thoughts: Overall this was a fun course. Was able to test throwing harder and farther, rather than hitting trees everytime. It has some challenging shots, and enough to make it interesting. I really liked the course, and will be going back soon!

Short but not bad

2-4    8/24/2009   8/29/2009
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -Lots of chances for aces and deuces
-Good concrete tees, if the course was longer these would be too short but its short so not much run up is needed on most holes.
-Nice, new baskets.
-Course map/scorecard provided at start although they were out when I played on 8/24.
-All holes have signs with distance, map and par.
-Enough trees to keep it interesting.
-Contrary to other reviewers I found the creek interesting. These holes would be too short and too boring without the creek. Its also very clear so I wouldnt worry about losing a disc in it. The pond however comes into play on 2 holes 10, 12 and is nasty. I would doubt a disc would come back out of there. Throwing right over the pond is the best way by far to throw hole 12.
-Its in a campground so you can stay for a weekend and play this course as well as the many other wonderful courses in the St. Cloud area.
-Its on a nice lake so you can go for a dip on a hot day.
-Hole 8 is unique. It is a huge dogleg left. The hole is probably only 100 feet away from the tee but its pretty hard to get there. I though for awhile on how to get there. Very interesting hole. Hole 15 later is kind of a longer version of this hole.
-You probably wont lose a disc unless you put it in the pond. Woods aren't thick and the stream is very clear.
Cons: -It's pretty much a pitch and putt with some interesting holes thrown in.
-Nasty wind whips up of the lake
-Bugs are not the worst but can be an annoyance
-Holes without lots of trees or water are boring because they are so short.
-Lack of length in general. Only one true long hole at 430 feet.
Other Thoughts: This course is too hard for beginners but too easy for true advanced players. I am an alright disc golfer and this course was pretty fun but it definitely was too short. By using more campground they could increase the size and most likely the fun. I would stop by this course if you are looking for aces or are going to be here for awhile but there are better courses in the St. Cloud area.

1    7/3/2009   7/22/2009
Review By: Cradical
Pros: I like that it is in a campground, so that it is easily accesible to campers. This helps get this sport out there. There is a lake on site as well which is nice. There are bathrooms somewhere and some trashcans.
The front nine on this course would be very good for beginners. There is good use of obstacles on a couple of the first few holes, and a couple of the late holes. There are a bunch of out of bounds areas around the course.
There is a holding pond that you have to throw over, which I really like (though I'd hate to try to retrieve a disc as it is very thick with green slime).
Cons: Way too many short holes with very little obstacles. There is only one hole over 400 and the rest are dinky little holes.
The creek gets really ridiculous on one hole, where it runs parallel to the 10 foot wide fairway and then wraps around the 15 foot wide green. I guess I see why water is out of bounds, though it makes for lots of really easy circle threes.
Too many holes on the back nine were just right next to the creek and playing over it. On the front nine, the road is ob and one hole is about 5 feet in front of the hole, which I guess is ok.
Some of the last holes don't really have any clear fairways to the holes, they're basically luck holes.
Other Thoughts: my review might be a little harsh because I was feeling grumpy when I played the course. Furthermore, as my score card sort of shows, I started out really well (-4 on 5 holes) and then just kinda fell apart. If I were you and I played here, I might consider not playing the clear creek water as ob, which would make your score go up most probably.
Also, I'd probably wear swimming trunks and scout the holes before you throw.

Be very wary

2-4    5/6/2009   5/6/2009
Review By: d4nk
Pros: This is not a course for beginners, There are more than 4 holes with waterhazards, there's 2 of holes on penisulas with a deep, dark creek right near the pin, Pins are nice tournament legal. Very nice technical course, only one 400+ hole, there is a course map somewhere on the net, very helpful for the first time, the tees are very nice new cement, but the hole signs are very poor, also park carfully.
Cons: Water Hazards, Needs signs pointing out where to go for first hole, 2nd, etc...
Water Hazards.
Also the lake being right there can generate A LOT of wind making those water hazards even tougher.
Other Thoughts: Not a bad course though

Update On Conditions

1    10/16/2008   10/27/2008
Review By: 420ninja
Pros: Good course. A new 18 holes in the area. There are a good number of holes that are in the open with not too many obstacles. The course is easy to follow and maps are provided if need be.
Cons: There are also a large number of holes that have major water hazards. There is a slow moving stream that runs with many of the holes that can be fairly deep in places. On one of the holes you must go over or around a large pond which is difficult to retrieve discs from.
Other Thoughts: There are now rubber tees and the baskets have the numbers on them

Benton Beach

6/7/2008   6/13/2008
Review By: mike_riewer
Pros: This course, if thats what it could be called, has very nice pins. If one wanted to practice approach shots this is the course.
Cons: There was no way to tell where to start discing. There was no tee off boxes and no numbers on top of the baskets, so just trying to figure out the layout of the couse was impossible. There was no one at the office to ask how to play the course and there was no score cards to see the layout.The baskets are extremely close together, shots never more than 250 feet with most of them being chip shots. It looked like the fairways of the course were mowed but were only the width of the mower. Extremely unrealistic for discing. Then the rest of the grass was left at almost knee height. The pin placement on most holes were right next to hazards. (20 feet from a river) Part of the course runs through the swamp, which was almost too wet to travel through the day I went.
Other Thoughts: The Baskets look very new and are very nice. I dont understand why they put so much money into the baskets and not put together a playable course. Or, for that matter put up pin numbers and tee off boxes. IF the pins could be moved and placed in more desirable places for discers this could be a nice location for a disc course. But, the way it is now, dont go out of your way to play this course. The only reason I gave it a 0.5 instead of a 0 was because of the excellent baskets.