Madisonville, KY
3 / 300ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Tournament Worthy

1    3/30/2014   3/30/2014
Review By: goosefraba1
Pros: I'm just going to freeform this one. When I pulled into this park, I couldn't help but notice the beauty of the surroundings. In way of beauty, this course has it all. Mature trees. Check. Lake. Check. Rolling greens. Check. Just a course full of eye candy. Without detailing every hole, here are some things that I noticed. This course gives you plenty of room to air some shots out. Some of the shots are Memorial-esque.... like hole 7 or 8 where you cross water and then have a low ceiling shot. Great hole. Speaking of which, the short pads on 7 and 8 are pretty awesome. Love how this course plays over some steady elevation change. This course is the type of course that is just begging for an A tier tournament.
Cons: I still feel as if there is room for improvement here. Many of the baskets could just be moved 10 feet or so in order to make a more challenging green. My biggest concern is the 3 pads fiasco beside the playground.... with trees right beside the pads. That is just asking for the course to get pulled. It is all fun and games until a kid takes a 175g disc travelling at 35mph to the throat. Hole 9 plays downhill and then backup, but there is no way to get to the basket because there is a branch blocking the shot. Just little things like that. 11 through 14 are monotonous back and forth down the hill.
Other Thoughts: Overall, great course. Plenty of challenge here. I feel like this course could have been made even better if there was just length added for length's sake in places. The land given allows for a blue level course.... I feel like this is a blue level course that tries to reach too far.. making several tweener holes. Would be interested in seeing the alternates and how that would change the course.

Date: 3/31/2014 Designer Response by: HB553
A tier scheduled for May 17-18, 2014 with 9 extra holes added.

Madness at Madisonville

1    1/18/2013   2/19/2013
Pros: 1) Excellent challenge on this course. There is all sorts of trouble out there to get you. It is not an easy course for anyone, even the pros would be challenged.
2) Nice concrete tees are available on this course. It is a good thing because when I played the course had just received a fair amount of rain/snow melt.
3) Discatchers are in decent condition.
4) Arrows underneath the baskets really help with navigation.
5) Tee signs have Hole #, Distance, Par, and a Map.
6) Golf clubhouse has some discs and bags and such for sale. The lady behind the counter said they loved having disc golf and are excited about their large tournament every year.
7) Typically park-like courses are not my favorite, but there is enough other challenge and beauty here to keep my interest.
8) Very large and mature trees on this property. The lady in the clubhouse said it used to have a lot more mature trees but a storm had come through and taken a lot of big trees out. What a shame!
9) Alternate tees are available on the water holes which makes the course more beginner friendly.
10) The course seemed to be well taken care of. The turf was in good shape, the leaves had all virtually been removed from the turf areas which really helps keep the turf healthy.
11) Distance variation is huge ranging from the 200's to 600's with everything in between. I love it when courses have a huge variety of shots because it makes for a ton of interesting throws. You need big drives, placement drives, upshots, recovery shots, layups, and putts. It makes for a complete experience.
12) Very nice map and kiosk area at the first tee. The whole area is surrounded with mulch which just makes perfect sense. They knew it would all become compacted and the turf would die so they put mulch down to make it look nicer.
13) Signs are located on top of 4x4 posts which also have a number on all 4 sides which helps navigation.
14) Rolling elevation changes on this course make for a really scenic and pretty course.
15) I love a course where I can throw in the air and on the ground. While a roller shot is not essential for a good experience, I sure do enjoy throwing that shot. I think I threw a handful of these on this round.
16) Practice Basket is available near the first hole.
17) Hole #8 is the ultimate in risk/reward holes. It has a shot straight at the basket but is about 95% water carry and over 350' to carry, or you can throw out to the right with 150' carry and a bail out area to the right. Then you will have another 150-200' approach over another small water area. This is a very unique hole layout that creates some score separation for sure.
Cons: 1) The road and also a couple sidewalks are not super close, but could be considered in harms way depending on who is playing.
2) Lacks the ultra tight wooded holes I love to play. It is simply not a feature available in this park. I cannot blame the designer, but it is something I like to see on every course because I feel it is an integral part of our sport.
3) I do not remember many benches on this course.
4) One place I can remember being somewhat dangerous. The bathroom (I think) next to the playground by Hole #3/4 15/16 was definitely in the way on one of the drives.
5) I am pretty sure at some times in the year, there will likely be a lot of goose poop along the edges of the water.
Other Thoughts: There are just not that many things I can say bad about this course. While I also have a lot of Pros written down I just cannot give this course a rating higher than 4.5. It lacks just a couple things . . . unique basket locations. Everything was somewhat cookie cutter and in the middle of the turf with 15-30' green around the basket. If some of the baskets could have been elevated or perhaps some green areas that were landscaped out. While it is mostly open and moderately wooded, it feels more open than it is. It does not have any super tight wooded holes which I really like to see on a course with everything. If this course was in my backyard I would probably play it everyday because of how diverse it is.

Best in Western Ky

5+    11/4/2012   11/12/2012
Review By: DG addict24
This review was updated on 8/6/2013
Pros: Great concrete tee pads.Great length, 3 holes 590 or further. Some wooded areas that aren't really tight though, just enough so you can't just fling it. Alternate tee pads on two holes for beginners/recreational players. Probably the most well-kept course I've ever seen. It's always in great shape, yet you always see the workers looking for a way to improve it.
Cons: The only one I can think of is pretty boring starting and finishing holes. Most of the holes are just normal holes to me. With the exception of 8, none of the holes wow me. The rest of the holes are nice, but that's really all they are, just nice holes. A few more wows, and it would be a 4.5
Other Thoughts: Great course overall, probably in my top 3 that I have played. I have a very small arm and I still found the course fun and playable with how long it is. About as good of a city park course as you're gonna find.

Date: 11/14/2012 Designer Response by: HB553
Thanks for the review . . . the boring hole one is due to the park department wanting the starting hole as near the pro shop as possible, sharing the same parking lot. Visit the city pro shop for disc, bags, beverages while at the course.

My home course

5+    10/3/2012   10/8/2012
Review By: mancide
Pros: Wide open on most holes, even the wooded holes are pretty forgiving for beginners. Water and trees are used perfectly on most holes, and alternate tees for the two main water holes help newer players.
Cons: Some holes are really long for beginners, and even with alternate tees can be a bit discouraging for shorter arms.

Beautifully manicured

1    9/23/2012   9/24/2012
Review By: Tacoma4x4
Pros: Great total maintenance...wonderful markings, easy flow, just a wonderful afternoon experience. Good blend of trees in bad spots...water in bad spots...and distance.
Cons: Not many to note. Could use a marker from 1 to 2 tee box, but honestly I had a beginner with me and he loved it as much as I did.
Other Thoughts: Thank you Madisonville city park...you guys do a great job.

Great course to let 'em fly!

1    3/5/2011   3/7/2011
Review By: weeman
Pros: This course is a fun challenge to consistently make long accurate drives and in several cases upshots. Madisonville DGC sits among a large multi-use park along with a couple lakes, a playground, baseball field, walking trail and golf course (doesn't come into play though). Near number one is a practice basket in a large area for some decent length putter shots. There's also a good course map and scorecards available at the first tee. All the pads are large and very grippy even when wet. The signs are accurate about tree, OB and water locations. This is very important as several of the drives are to hidden baskets that have some hidden water hazards. Madisonville is one of the most consistently long courses I've played in a while with only two holes less than 300 feet with multiple holes pushing 600 feet. The front nine plays closer to the lake with two (number 7 & 8) requiring long drives over water. Both of these holes have shorter alternate tee pads/drop zones as well. The back nine traverses a large moderately wooded ravine for several holes before heading back towards the lake near the end. A good portion of the holes play through large old growth trees with high ceilings (pines on front nine, oaks, etc. on back nine) with little to no underbrush throughout the course. Each hole utilizes elevation in some way, shape or form. These can range from extreme to very subtle with several playing across a large ravine. The ravine holes don't seem that long unless you hit a tree and end up at the bottom for your second shot. The elevation changes makes multiple holes play shorter than they are with the large descents. THe park also drains very well with few spots I saw with standing water (played it first while raining). All holes that have trees leave multiple routes to the basket so you're not confined to one line. That being said, you have to hit your lines otherwise you'll be scrambling to make par. This is great to practice different types of drives.
Cons: My only real main complaint about this course is that there are so many other things around it. The playground can be very busy and noisy on nice days and can be very distracting as its adjacent to 3's tee, 8's basket, 9's tee, 14's basket and 15's tee. Also the road that leads you through the park to the course runs right next to several holes and right behind number one's basket. Several of the holes had benches on which to rest while others didn't but there didn't appear to be any scheme to where they were placed. I'd have put one each after each of the 600 footers and other difficult holes. I felt like number one and 18 were tweener holes that are only included to make a full 18 hole course. Neither provided anywhere near the same kind of challenge as any of the other holes.
Other Thoughts: Madisonville shows how to make a fun course with a decently challenging design. The wind out there definitely adds another element to the round. It was a stiff breeze out there when I played and wouldn't surprise me if that was normal conditions for the course. I'd rate this course for mid-level amateur players and up to go out and be challenged to score well. Less skilled players will enjoy the lack of underbrush and inherent searching for discs but may be frustrated by the consistently long holes. I had read there is a pro shop near the course in the park but I didn't have the time to seek it out while I was there. Maybe next time I'll get to stop in for a few minutes.

A must stop for western KY.

1    11/26/2010   11/29/2010
Review By: link_smitty42205
Pros: I was staying in KY over the Thanksgiving holiday and came on here to see what courses were around the area and this one jumped out at me from other reviews. Let me tell you, this course did not disappoint. It was worth the hour drive to play.
This course required a variety of shots if you wanted to play it well. It was a course primarily designed for RHBH throwers from what I could tell, and being that I throw that style, I loved that this course was very friendly for my style of play. A lot of opportunities for hyzers, anhyzers, straight shots, S-Curves, you name it.

All of the holes are between about 280 to 600 ft long, with the average distance probably falling between 350 to 400 ft. If you can throw a consistent 300 foot drive, you will be able to play this course fairly well. The course is fairly open with opportunities to hit some trees on at least half of the holes. Therefore, it is a very fun course to just open up and give your drives all you can muster.

One of the major positives was the challenge of the water hazards. It only comes into play on about 4 holes, but I came close to the hazard on all of them. The lake was low when I played, which made it a bit friendlier, but when it is at its regular level I am sure it is rather intimidating.

Elevation was utilized well for multiple holes with the rolling hills and valleys to help compliment the water hazards. I love a course that has these challenges along with some distance, which is why this course was a joy to play for me.

I thought they utilized the land well for this course, and made the most out of what they had to work with.

The course was very well groomed and you could tell they took pride in its appearance.

Cons: A major con for me was that the signage, while being in good condition, did not direct you to the next tee pad. The map at the beginning of the course gives a great idea as to where all the holes are located and the general flow of the course, but unless you have a photographic memory, it will be hard to remember exactly the right direction to the next tee.

The lack in direction of the signs kind of made the flow a tad off. It flowed well for the most part. Much better than a lot of courses I have played, but there were a few spots that could be better. I am sure a lot of it had to do with the fact the tees were around other attractions and they had to make do with what they had available. (playground by tee pads 3, 9, and 16.)

As mentioned in other reviews, some overflow from some of the other attractions causes you to stay on your toes and not be too careless with your drives. I played in late November, so the activity in the park was minimal, but I am sure it is a different story in the summer. So be aware of other park users while playing.

Too many par 4's. This is a par 3 course in my eyes. Very reasonable to reach every pin in two good shots and finish with a solid putt.

If it weren't for holes 1 and 18, this course would have gotten a 4.5 from me. But they were let downs. Straight forward and were both very easy to park next to the pin with little room for error. 18 should be the the best hole on the course imo that ends your round "with a bang" so to speak...luckily the rest of the course makes up for it.

Other Thoughts: Overall, I thought this was a must stop if you are in the area and have the time. It won't disappoint. Its a very nice course and there is something to do there for the whole family. (regular golf course, tennis courts, playgrounds, etc.) Worth your time.

The course was in good shape and was very clean. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and really wish I lived closer to a course like this.

If you are looking for a course that is fairly open with some distance to the drives, while utilizing multiple hazards, this is a fun course to play. I wouldn't pass it up if I were you.

Solid City Park Course

5+    11/17/2010   11/19/2010
Review By: Mr Mirth
Pros: As you enter this city park, spying a few baskets and tees, you immediately realize the terrain and challenge: fairly open with large oak and pine over rolling hills and big water on the side. Well maintained with nice baskets, tees (a few alts), and signage, much of the course offers nice vistas of the lake and park. There's a pro shop / clubhouse and kiosk with map (be sure to review it so as not to get confused) and scorecards at the start.
This course provides a solid challenge for players of any level, having a good variety of shot shapes (little brush and openness also allows for some imaginative lines). All but two holes being under 300', and a couple up to 600', long drivers will enjoy this challenge, however there's a definite emphasis on the second shot with some excellent pin placements (water's edge, protected, hillsides). The 610' #7 with much of the fairway being over the water / edge and the pin within 20 of the bank is particularly good challenge (more so for RHBH). #8's tee within feet of water and the protected basket 410' across (some 360' over water) is quite good too; go long and land the peninsula or play the nearer peninsula with challenging approach? Nice! Holes 10 through 13 are seemingly more wooded and require some good technical ability as well as distance (an outbuilding for water coolers between holes 11 and 12 is a nice fixture). A few ace runs and plentiful birdie ops round out this rather challenging but quite fun-to-play picturesque course.
Cons: First and last holes are rather blase being open with mainly OB road, power pole/lines/torque cables and a few trees as obstacle. A single bench sits at #1. Although it's not in play, the playground area near the intersection of tees 3, 9, and 16 is somewhat congested. Teeing from #16 one could potentially grip-lock and throw at the restrooms building.
Other Thoughts: As far city parks go this is a solid pro caliber layout, utilizing the available land with great effect. I tend to favor more secluded, woodsy courses but being little more than an hour away I'd love to have this one closer to me.

Wonderful course

2-4    9/11/2010   9/16/2010
Review By: lschrock
Pros: This course is so much fun. It's always clean, with a great variety of shots, and never crowded. I've been twice now, in winter and summer, and have had a blast. I really wanted to link up with some locals, to see some of the lines that they tried, but had to play solo both times. There is excellent variety, lots of long throws, about a third of the course is wooded for some really technical shots. The course borders a ball golf course, and is well taken care of. There is a playground close as well, and you may run into some picknicking. Signs are tremendous, they give distance, and routes with landscape.
Cons: 10 par 4's? really? I played the entire course as a par 3 and still scored under par. There are some danger areas where you could throw into water because you can't see it, so make sure you know where you're throwing.
Other Thoughts: Must play for western Kentucky. This is the course to play if you have to pick between the west kentucky courses. (except for bowling green, of course)

City Park Course at it's finest

1    8/7/2010   8/7/2010
Review By: absolutdork
Pros: A lot of city parks that build courses build them short, or build them on weak parts of their land. Not the Madisonville course. This course is lengthy, scenic, and smacks the water right at you. The elevation changes are amazing, as well as the tall mature trees. Midway through the course we discovered what at first appeared to be an outhouse, but actually was an enclosed Gatorade cooler with ICE COLD water! I dumped out my lukewarm water bottle and replaced it with that. Big props to that, as I've never seen anything like it. Big arms will love this course, as well as those that like to do technical courses. The beauty of this course is in itself the best part.
Cons: Hard to think of much. A little trick to find #9's teepad, but it was near both 3's and 16's right next to the playground. The playground, tho extremely close, never came into play thankfully. I guess the only other con I can think of is my pathetic game, but that's my own problem.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend this course as a destination course. The gorgeous, enormous sized city park makes for a great day of disc golf. Once you get through the lackluster #1 hole, it really falls into a great course. I only live about 45 minutes away from here, and I will be back to play very soon!