Madisonville, KY
Scenery Pic #3

Grip It and Rip It

5+    4/8/2013   4/8/2013
Review By: dad_of_dg_junkies
Pros: 1. The park itself was very nice
2. The course is laid out well. I played here again yesterday and there were around 400-500 people in the park and we still didn't have much of problem with our round.
3. The signs are helpful
4. The concrete pads are in good shape and allow for a long run up.
5. I absolutely love that fact that on several holes you can just let it fly. Holes 2,3,8,10 and 16!
6. There are some shorter, more technical holes that require fade and turn-over shots.
7. I like the fact that there are two tee boxes on 7 and 8. Both long pads bring the water into play, while the short tees allow the water to be more easily avoided.
8. Lots of mature trees on this course. Many are in play, and while others can be used as shade during the summer months.
9. Baskets are in fine shape.
10. I have only played this game for 6 months, but I found the course VERY playable!
Cons: I have played this course a number of times and the only drawback to me is a drainage issue on some of the holes near the pond. Honestly, I am nit-picking.
Other Thoughts: This course suits my eye and my game. I would play here ANYTIME!

The Best in West KY

5+    12/28/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: Bobs DG 12
This review was updated on 1/2/2013
Pros: Everything from just being a well kept park to having some great holes to challenge every part of your disc golf game. The teeboxes are large with room for a big run up. The signs are very descriptive and accurately depict the holes. Every basket seems virtually brand new and are kept well. This course can also offer some scenic views for example hole 8 is a very nice hole. This course will test every shot in your bag and do so with some pretty large elevation changes on holes, as well as some flat holes that run near a lake. This course will also handle some big arms, I can throw about 400 ft. and this course gives me ample opportunity to let it fly.
Cons: Not too many with this course, I wish the course would start and finish with a little bit more of a bang 1 and 18 are bit boring. Sorry kind of picky but like I said not many cons on this course
Other Thoughts: This is a course I will travel to any day when I am looking for a premium Disc Golf experience and I highly recommend it.

Great round of golf

1    6/23/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: -First of all, I love the length. This is not a course that will have you teeing with midranges very often. It's great fun to be able to rip it on hole after hole.
-The teepads were excellent. Large and well textured. The signs were better than average, although an indication of "next tee" would have been appreciated. Flow from hole to hole was fairly easy to figure out regardless.
-"Anti-technical". I'm coining a new term here. Think of your typical technical course…shorter holes, weaving your way through multiple trees down narrow fairways typically carved out of the woods, usually with thick rough lurking around every turn. This is the exact opposite of that. Not to say that it's wide open, but there's no rough. The challenge comes from some combination of mature hardwood to play through/around, water hazards, and elevation changes.
-While I'm on the topic of elevation, this is one of the more hilly courses I've played. There's some form of slope on nearly every hole, and it's used to good effect.
-Multiple lines available from the tee on most holes. This course doesn't shoe-horn you into throwing only one specific type of shot very often.
-The course was nicely mowed and it resides in an attractive park. I'm a sucker for aesthetics, and the holes around the water were particularly scenic. Pulled out the camera several times.
-Practice basket for putting at the first tee.
-Discs available at the pro shop near the first tee. Not a big selection, but they did have some Blizzard plastic so they are keeping up with the newest stuff it would seem.
Cons: -A course this long and hilly should have more benches.
-On some holes there exists the possibility of hitting a car or person on the road or walking path. Be aware of your surroundings.
-The course doesn't bring you back to your car after the front 9, you'll have to walk the whole 18 before you can get a refill.
-Holes 1 and 18 are two of the least interesting holes on the course, but the truth of the matter is that there's just not a lot of good disc golf land that close to the parking lot. They could have chosen to start the course from a different location, but I'd assume they wanted both the disc golf course and the ball golf course to originate from the same general area.
Other Thoughts: -This course sits on a nice piece of property, and the design makes good use of it. There are other activities going on in the park, but there's generally enough room to coexist. Several holes play near a playground, but it's the teepads that are near the playground rather than the baskets, so you're never really afraid of hitting a kid who's climbing on the jungle gym.
-If you've ever played the course in Radcliff, then you need to play this one. Madisonville is the course that Radcliff wishes it could be. It sits on a bigger, better, prettier piece of land, but the hills and trees will call to mind some stylistic similarities between the courses.
-I wish this course was closer to me so that I could play it more often.

Great course

2-4    7/13/2011   7/28/2011
Review By: NOStheBOSS
Pros: Many memorable holes. No gimmicks, great use of natural obstacles. Awesome water shots. Good mix of distance. Very challenging. Well maintained.

During the tournament, they had 6 temp holes set up as well, and these were all pretty good. I would like to see them make these holes permanent.
Cons: No major cons for this course

A true gem in Western KY

1    11/8/2009   11/8/2009
Review By: buzzinb
Pros: I'm trying to reflect on todays excursion to Madisonville DGC and just how much fun it was. This course truly has it all. The beautiful park setting, the nice mix of holes and a more than worthy challenge all combine to make this one of the absolute best courses in this region. Lots of big, mature hardwoods are utilized throughout much of the course. While most fairways are ample, it is the combination of placement and distance that make many of the holes challenging. It requires courage and a decent arm to step up and chuck one over the lake on 8. I did not feel like sacrificing any plastic to Poseidon so I opted for the alternate tees on both 7 & 8. Most of the holes are long enough to require a driver off of the tee for the average player. Several holes require that you keep your drive low as well or risk the snaggy branches of the hardwoods. Good variety of straight, left and right veering holes. Most of the straighter holes still require dodging at least a trunk or two. Very well maintained park with excellent amentities. Scorecards were available and there was a pro shop across the parking lot from tee #1. Restroom was clean as well. You can see the pride that the community has in this park and it is a true privelege to play here.
Cons: Alt tee signs would be nice. There were a few instances where I had to scout around a little to find the next tee but I'm really being picky here.
Other Thoughts: The one thing that sticks out in my mind is how much I would love to be able to play this course much more frequently. This is exactly the type of course that one could utilize to take their game to the next level. Kudos to all involved in the creation and maintenence of this exceptional course.

Love this Course

5+    10/2/2009   10/9/2009
Review By: dmalexander
Pros: Open for big arms, great lay-out, and one of the best course around! A great mix of open holes and deceptively difficult skill shots. Good elevation changes and a few blind shots.
Cons: Need water fountains, trash cans and a few more benches.
Other Thoughts: Hole 7 and 8 play big, but have alternate tees to make it a little more palatable.

Might be the best course I have played

1    7/25/2009   7/25/2009
Review By: WillA
Pros: 1. Beautiful scenery with a lake as backdrop
2. Good variety of shots required
3. Lots of elevation change
4. Has long holes where you can throw bombs but they aren't completely open so the technical challenge is still there. Several par 4's.
5. Very well maintained with mown grass like on a ball golf course.
6. Shares a pro shop with a ball golf course with snacks and drinks and discs as well as a restroom.
7. A couple of holes play across the lake. One is directly across and the other requires an anhyzer over the lake that fades back to the right. But there are alternate tees.
Cons: Hard to think of any... There aren't many benches. And hole 18 is kind of lackluster. Just a long par 3 w/o any trees in the way. Would have been better if they tucked the basket into the line of trees on the left.
Other Thoughts: After hole 13 you have to cross the park road to play 14. All in all a terrific course. You can tell they take a lot of pride in it.

In general this is a long lightly wooded course. If you have played Lovers Lane in Bowling Green imagine what it would be like with a lot more trees, elevation and a lake. That's Madisonville.

1    6/23/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: caney44
Pros: It is a very beautiful course and well taken care of. Great place to take the whole family. It was very hard for me though, but I will love it even better when I learn how to trow a disc
Cons: Can think of any atm.
Other Thoughts: Only thing that upset me was I lost my first disc here in the water. Shame on me, shouldn't of trown it that way huh :)

Beautiful.........

1    6/23/2009   6/23/2009
Review By: bdamcat
Pros: This course is just sexy that's all I can say. The lake is a really nice back drop to the course. It does come into play on a few holes. Nice concrete tees, signs, and baskets. There are nice enclosed bathrooms after hole 3 or 4 if I recall. They offer free score cards and pencils when available. Shares a clubhouse with the ball golf course that offers Innova brand items. And the woman working the club house is very nice too.
Cons: Honestly I can't recall one bad thing other than no signs on the alternate tee pads for the LONG water shot.
Other Thoughts: Really nice course that is one of my favorites. And will play a lot more in the future. I has a family atmosphere with a playground for the little ones if you have any.

Awesome course!!!!

1    11/16/2008   11/18/2008
Review By: jgentry
Pros: I think this is my favorate course ever. It has large concrete teepads, nice signs, good baskets and is in a great park. This course is very long and has several true par 4's that require 2 good long shots to reach the basket. For a good disc golfer the signs are going to play pretty accurate (a pro would proabaly light it up though). The course has a large lake that comes into play on several holes and has one water carry that looked to be about 300ft. There are several holes in large mature woods that are completely clean. Just a bunch of huge trees. The course has a great mix of open and wooded holes. Most holes are atleast 350ft or much longer.
Cons: This course needs some alternate pin locations and possible a few more alternate pads for AMS to make it a 5.0. if you are a new player or don't throw very far it will be a challenge. I can't think of anything else to change other then it needs to be closer to me.
Other Thoughts: This is a long course so be prepared to throw a lot of hard drives. Ever hole looks different and has something new to offer. Just a great place to play.