Madisonville, KY

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Tournament Worthy

1    3/30/2014   3/30/2014
Review By: goosefraba1
Pros: I'm just going to freeform this one. When I pulled into this park, I couldn't help but notice the beauty of the surroundings. In way of beauty, this course has it all. Mature trees. Check. Lake. Check. Rolling greens. Check. Just a course full of eye candy. Without detailing every hole, here are some things that I noticed. This course gives you plenty of room to air some shots out. Some of the shots are Memorial-esque.... like hole 7 or 8 where you cross water and then have a low ceiling shot. Great hole. Speaking of which, the short pads on 7 and 8 are pretty awesome. Love how this course plays over some steady elevation change. This course is the type of course that is just begging for an A tier tournament.
Cons: I still feel as if there is room for improvement here. Many of the baskets could just be moved 10 feet or so in order to make a more challenging green. My biggest concern is the 3 pads fiasco beside the playground.... with trees right beside the pads. That is just asking for the course to get pulled. It is all fun and games until a kid takes a 175g disc travelling at 35mph to the throat. Hole 9 plays downhill and then backup, but there is no way to get to the basket because there is a branch blocking the shot. Just little things like that. 11 through 14 are monotonous back and forth down the hill.
Other Thoughts: Overall, great course. Plenty of challenge here. I feel like this course could have been made even better if there was just length added for length's sake in places. The land given allows for a blue level course.... I feel like this is a blue level course that tries to reach too far.. making several tweener holes. Would be interested in seeing the alternates and how that would change the course.

Date: 3/31/2014 Designer Response by: HB553
A tier scheduled for May 17-18, 2014 with 9 extra holes added.

Grip It and Rip It

5+    4/8/2013   4/8/2013
Review By: dad_of_dg_junkies
Pros: 1. The park itself was very nice
2. The course is laid out well. I played here again yesterday and there were around 400-500 people in the park and we still didn't have much of problem with our round.
3. The signs are helpful
4. The concrete pads are in good shape and allow for a long run up.
5. I absolutely love that fact that on several holes you can just let it fly. Holes 2,3,8,10 and 16!
6. There are some shorter, more technical holes that require fade and turn-over shots.
7. I like the fact that there are two tee boxes on 7 and 8. Both long pads bring the water into play, while the short tees allow the water to be more easily avoided.
8. Lots of mature trees on this course. Many are in play, and while others can be used as shade during the summer months.
9. Baskets are in fine shape.
10. I have only played this game for 6 months, but I found the course VERY playable!
Cons: I have played this course a number of times and the only drawback to me is a drainage issue on some of the holes near the pond. Honestly, I am nit-picking.
Other Thoughts: This course suits my eye and my game. I would play here ANYTIME!

Madness at Madisonville

1    1/18/2013   2/19/2013
Pros: 1) Excellent challenge on this course. There is all sorts of trouble out there to get you. It is not an easy course for anyone, even the pros would be challenged.
2) Nice concrete tees are available on this course. It is a good thing because when I played the course had just received a fair amount of rain/snow melt.
3) Discatchers are in decent condition.
4) Arrows underneath the baskets really help with navigation.
5) Tee signs have Hole #, Distance, Par, and a Map.
6) Golf clubhouse has some discs and bags and such for sale. The lady behind the counter said they loved having disc golf and are excited about their large tournament every year.
7) Typically park-like courses are not my favorite, but there is enough other challenge and beauty here to keep my interest.
8) Very large and mature trees on this property. The lady in the clubhouse said it used to have a lot more mature trees but a storm had come through and taken a lot of big trees out. What a shame!
9) Alternate tees are available on the water holes which makes the course more beginner friendly.
10) The course seemed to be well taken care of. The turf was in good shape, the leaves had all virtually been removed from the turf areas which really helps keep the turf healthy.
11) Distance variation is huge ranging from the 200's to 600's with everything in between. I love it when courses have a huge variety of shots because it makes for a ton of interesting throws. You need big drives, placement drives, upshots, recovery shots, layups, and putts. It makes for a complete experience.
12) Very nice map and kiosk area at the first tee. The whole area is surrounded with mulch which just makes perfect sense. They knew it would all become compacted and the turf would die so they put mulch down to make it look nicer.
13) Signs are located on top of 4x4 posts which also have a number on all 4 sides which helps navigation.
14) Rolling elevation changes on this course make for a really scenic and pretty course.
15) I love a course where I can throw in the air and on the ground. While a roller shot is not essential for a good experience, I sure do enjoy throwing that shot. I think I threw a handful of these on this round.
16) Practice Basket is available near the first hole.
17) Hole #8 is the ultimate in risk/reward holes. It has a shot straight at the basket but is about 95% water carry and over 350' to carry, or you can throw out to the right with 150' carry and a bail out area to the right. Then you will have another 150-200' approach over another small water area. This is a very unique hole layout that creates some score separation for sure.
Cons: 1) The road and also a couple sidewalks are not super close, but could be considered in harms way depending on who is playing.
2) Lacks the ultra tight wooded holes I love to play. It is simply not a feature available in this park. I cannot blame the designer, but it is something I like to see on every course because I feel it is an integral part of our sport.
3) I do not remember many benches on this course.
4) One place I can remember being somewhat dangerous. The bathroom (I think) next to the playground by Hole #3/4 15/16 was definitely in the way on one of the drives.
5) I am pretty sure at some times in the year, there will likely be a lot of goose poop along the edges of the water.
Other Thoughts: There are just not that many things I can say bad about this course. While I also have a lot of Pros written down I just cannot give this course a rating higher than 4.5. It lacks just a couple things . . . unique basket locations. Everything was somewhat cookie cutter and in the middle of the turf with 15-30' green around the basket. If some of the baskets could have been elevated or perhaps some green areas that were landscaped out. While it is mostly open and moderately wooded, it feels more open than it is. It does not have any super tight wooded holes which I really like to see on a course with everything. If this course was in my backyard I would probably play it everyday because of how diverse it is.

The Best in West KY

5+    12/28/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: Bobs DG 12
This review was updated on 1/2/2013
Pros: Everything from just being a well kept park to having some great holes to challenge every part of your disc golf game. The teeboxes are large with room for a big run up. The signs are very descriptive and accurately depict the holes. Every basket seems virtually brand new and are kept well. This course can also offer some scenic views for example hole 8 is a very nice hole. This course will test every shot in your bag and do so with some pretty large elevation changes on holes, as well as some flat holes that run near a lake. This course will also handle some big arms, I can throw about 400 ft. and this course gives me ample opportunity to let it fly.
Cons: Not too many with this course, I wish the course would start and finish with a little bit more of a bang 1 and 18 are bit boring. Sorry kind of picky but like I said not many cons on this course
Other Thoughts: This is a course I will travel to any day when I am looking for a premium Disc Golf experience and I highly recommend it.

Amazing Course

5+    11/18/2012   11/20/2012
Review By: Pillsbury778
Pros: For a first time player this course is a great one for a new player. A lot of long holes. Gives you a good chance to find out what your discs will really do. Whenever I get a new disc I love to play here simply because if I have a new disc I go out in the huge fields they have there and throw it a couple of different ways. It also gives a new comer to the sport a good way to learn how their disc will fly when it is thrown a certain way. You will also find out what style you want to throw. Side-arm or backhand, jump putts, putting style. I have a friends that is beast at turbo putting. We call him Turbo Travis. He can hit one no matter what the distance and he practiced all of his putting there at Madisonville. That's also where I go to practice my putting, and I tell you what it really helped me when it came to putting in tournaments. I have improved my game so much playing at Madisonville. I love playing there. The Madisonville pro shop and City Council are actually talking about putting 2 more courses in there so that we can bring more people for the Tourney they have each year. The touney has grown every year, and in the past 2 years. We have had 7 different National Series pros come to the tourney in all. They have come here and destroyed, but i watched them after my round one day this year, and it was very amazing to watch them play and hit the gap like it was nothing. The worst hole I saw from them was hole 12 down the hill. David Feildberg threw and nicked a tree and kicked so far away, and came back and got a 4. He was very upset and then the next hole he got a 365 ft deuce off a lucky tree hit. Wish i recorded it. I was amazing. best shot i have seen in my life. Anyways, I think that for a new comer to come to this tourney next year would be a great experience for them. I would show them so much to just to be around the great atmosphere the tourneys bring. I have honestly never seen a mad person at a tourney, and even if they did get mad, they would soon after apologize. I have done it many times. The last tourney I went to I was on my way to the hole I was starting one and had to walk all the way back to the score chart to see what card I was on cause they changed it 2 times. When I finally figured out what card I was on I stomped off all mad and at the end of that round I went to the tourney director and apologized for what I did. It is such a great environment at a disc golf tourney. Great people and great times. I have gone to so many tourneys in the past few year and have never payed out and have still had the time of my life. I love the people that I see at tourneys. Great people and I love every moment I have ever played disc golf. Disc golf is my life. I will play disc golf until I loose both my limbs and can't walk. I will never stop playing.
Cons: Absolutley NO CONS!!
Other Thoughts: Amazing place to play in the winter.

Best in Western Ky

5+    11/4/2012   11/12/2012
Review By: DG addict24
This review was updated on 8/6/2013
Pros: Great concrete tee pads.Great length, 3 holes 590 or further. Some wooded areas that aren't really tight though, just enough so you can't just fling it. Alternate tee pads on two holes for beginners/recreational players. Probably the most well-kept course I've ever seen. It's always in great shape, yet you always see the workers looking for a way to improve it.
Cons: The only one I can think of is pretty boring starting and finishing holes. Most of the holes are just normal holes to me. With the exception of 8, none of the holes wow me. The rest of the holes are nice, but that's really all they are, just nice holes. A few more wows, and it would be a 4.5
Other Thoughts: Great course overall, probably in my top 3 that I have played. I have a very small arm and I still found the course fun and playable with how long it is. About as good of a city park course as you're gonna find.

Date: 11/14/2012 Designer Response by: HB553
Thanks for the review . . . the boring hole one is due to the park department wanting the starting hole as near the pro shop as possible, sharing the same parking lot. Visit the city pro shop for disc, bags, beverages while at the course.

My home course

5+    10/3/2012   10/8/2012
Review By: mancide
Pros: Wide open on most holes, even the wooded holes are pretty forgiving for beginners. Water and trees are used perfectly on most holes, and alternate tees for the two main water holes help newer players.
Cons: Some holes are really long for beginners, and even with alternate tees can be a bit discouraging for shorter arms.

Beautifully manicured

1    9/23/2012   9/24/2012
Review By: Tacoma4x4
Pros: Great total maintenance...wonderful markings, easy flow, just a wonderful afternoon experience. Good blend of trees in bad spots...water in bad spots...and distance.
Cons: Not many to note. Could use a marker from 1 to 2 tee box, but honestly I had a beginner with me and he loved it as much as I did.
Other Thoughts: Thank you Madisonville city park...you guys do a great job.

Great round of golf

1    6/23/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: -First of all, I love the length. This is not a course that will have you teeing with midranges very often. It's great fun to be able to rip it on hole after hole.
-The teepads were excellent. Large and well textured. The signs were better than average, although an indication of "next tee" would have been appreciated. Flow from hole to hole was fairly easy to figure out regardless.
-"Anti-technical". I'm coining a new term here. Think of your typical technical course…shorter holes, weaving your way through multiple trees down narrow fairways typically carved out of the woods, usually with thick rough lurking around every turn. This is the exact opposite of that. Not to say that it's wide open, but there's no rough. The challenge comes from some combination of mature hardwood to play through/around, water hazards, and elevation changes.
-While I'm on the topic of elevation, this is one of the more hilly courses I've played. There's some form of slope on nearly every hole, and it's used to good effect.
-Multiple lines available from the tee on most holes. This course doesn't shoe-horn you into throwing only one specific type of shot very often.
-The course was nicely mowed and it resides in an attractive park. I'm a sucker for aesthetics, and the holes around the water were particularly scenic. Pulled out the camera several times.
-Practice basket for putting at the first tee.
-Discs available at the pro shop near the first tee. Not a big selection, but they did have some Blizzard plastic so they are keeping up with the newest stuff it would seem.
Cons: -A course this long and hilly should have more benches.
-On some holes there exists the possibility of hitting a car or person on the road or walking path. Be aware of your surroundings.
-The course doesn't bring you back to your car after the front 9, you'll have to walk the whole 18 before you can get a refill.
-Holes 1 and 18 are two of the least interesting holes on the course, but the truth of the matter is that there's just not a lot of good disc golf land that close to the parking lot. They could have chosen to start the course from a different location, but I'd assume they wanted both the disc golf course and the ball golf course to originate from the same general area.
Other Thoughts: -This course sits on a nice piece of property, and the design makes good use of it. There are other activities going on in the park, but there's generally enough room to coexist. Several holes play near a playground, but it's the teepads that are near the playground rather than the baskets, so you're never really afraid of hitting a kid who's climbing on the jungle gym.
-If you've ever played the course in Radcliff, then you need to play this one. Madisonville is the course that Radcliff wishes it could be. It sits on a bigger, better, prettier piece of land, but the hills and trees will call to mind some stylistic similarities between the courses.
-I wish this course was closer to me so that I could play it more often.

MUST PLAY

5+    11/12/2011   11/17/2011
Review By: pTelli
Pros: Best corse I've played. The course has it all. Hole 1 is a straightforward par 3 that will lull you into thinking the course is a piece of cake if you've never played it. After that, better bring your big-boy arm for this long course that has everything. Some holes will challenge your distance while others will test your technical skills with obstacles and doglegs in both directions. Pack every disc. The two major water hazards have alternate boxes, and you will probably use them unless you are very confident with your distance and control. The front 9 skirts a big beautiful lake and takes you through a mature pine stand. The back 9 takes you through a mature hardwood stand. Many trees were lost during the ice storm of '09, but a recent grant has allowed the park to replant hundreds of trees. Some of the trees lost decreased the difficulty of a few of the holes, but overall the course came out unscathed. Fill up your water bottles at the cooler on hole 12 thanx to the local cub scout troop who built an enclosure for it. If you throw in the drink, wade in the water at your own risk - large snapping turtles. Thanx to HB Clark for designing this beautiful course. Top tier tourney held here every year in June. Had 110 players this year. MUST PLAY!
Cons: nope

< Prev 1 2 3 4